Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Steering and Suspension Problems

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I bet it could be done. I get about 40.5 mpg as a running average covering more than 10K miles now, in my Echo. That's a lighter car with slightly less power, yes, but the Yaris is actually slower than the Echo, so I think it must be geared a little taller for fuel savings. And most of my driving is suburban or into the city, which would lead to reduced fuel economy in my case. When I do go on long trips in the thing, I manage 44-46 mpg or more without trying too hard, and with the A/C running constantly.

The trick, of course, is not to ignore speed limits. Gas mileage is affected greatly by speed. ;-)

But bottom line, I find it easy to believe there are slower drivers out there pulling 44 mpg in the Yaris. They will continue to do so as long as that egg is under the gas pedal...

:-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• tjw1308tjw1308 Posts: 296
    I think if I really tried to (and I doubt I ever could for an entire tank), I'd probably be able to get 42 or better on the highway.

It's possible, if for no other reason than I drive with the A/C on constantly, drive fairly aggressively anyway, and STILL got close to 39.

Amazing, but even with gas prices back down a little, I still feel great only having to fill up every 400 miles (and only 11 or so gallons per hehe)...

T
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,780
    I get 36 mpg driving real fast on the freeway. I'm more than satisfied with that. I'm sure I could hit 40 but it would be very boring for me.

• I have a black Yaris just put 400 miles on her in 24 hours. Gas mileage awesome. Went 400 miles and tank was on half way mark.

Re the discussion:

The difference is the ride and peppiness in my opinion. I have driven them all and frankly the Scion XA annoyed me. It was slow and loud. I did not like it at all. The first time I drove the Scion XB it was slow. The next one driven two years later (both manuals) was quicker and more responsive but in 05 the Scion XB I drove was slow.

Comparable pound for pound to peppiness, responsiveness and zip based on my test drives has been Yaris to Accent.
    Third would be the Aveo. I love the interior design of the Aveo (utilitarian) but the doors feel cheapy to me and the manual was really really sloppy.

The Fit had a hard road feel ride which is typical of Hondas IMO. They just feel more racy and like you are riding next to the road. I don't like that feeling. The Aveo is in between that feel and the soft floating feel of the Toyo.

It is ALL SUBJECTIVE! You have to decide on what makes you comfortable. We have different needs and obviously my impression will be different than someone else's.
    You musta got a bad xA. They aren't slow at all...or maybe I got a peppy one. I can leave an xB in the dust and easily keep up with all freeway traffic. Of course, with 1.5 liters, there are limits. If you try to accelerate in the wrong gear, it's not going to happen. You need to keep the revs up on little engines while you shift. Ditto Yaris.

Yaris and xA have the same engine and weigh the same, and have the same HP (or very very close), so there can't be much difference in performance.

• I know that is what I read re: Scion XA= Yaris re: engine and weight. I felt a difference possibly design. I think the Yaris is more aerodynamic and Scion XA more boxy. Perhaps it is simpler, I like the Yaris much much more.
    Sure that's possible. Aerodynamics make a difference certainly, at highway speeds.

• I had a 2000 Echo which got high 40's in mpg's, but that was after I had bought new tires which, I didn't realize, were fatter. I bragged around town about my 3 trips to daughter's home got 50 mpg records. My new Scion xA showed the distance is shorter by 12%.
    Still, the Echo got 41 or 42 mpg compared to 33 on the xA with same engine and stick shift--difference in aerodynamics? trannie?
    For gas mileage, get the Yarris (which is, really, the Echo.) But the BASE xA has what my Echo didn't--split rear fold-down seat; elec windows and doors, CD player, and anti-locking brakes. Don't let the dealer tell you the price is fixed. I paid close to $13k; they're around 12k now.
    It must be the gearing. My xA can easily walk away from an Echo in terms of acceleration and I can pass trucks at 70-80 mph. Since they have the same HP, and aerodynamics is not a factor in 0-60 times, gearing is the only explanation really between the MPG in an xA and an Echo, don't you think?

• bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    All the magazines report the contrary. The Echo manual was about 0-60 in 8-9 seconds the xA manual is 0-60 in 8.8 -9.8 seconds. With the proper shifts, same engine, and reduced weight, the Echo should be faster. Obviously it would not handle as well though.

The Yaris and xA appear to be about equals in 0-60 times though. Of course, the Yaris gained weight over the Echo to make that race about even.
    Well real life is different. I can absolutely leave an Echo in the dust. There must be 1.0 to 1.5 seconds difference. I think the real numbers should be about 8.5 for a manual xA and about 10 for an Echo...that seems about right.

• bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    So the magazines are making it up? Sure the gearing would help the 0-5 mph start but the weight would be a real downer from 5-60 assuming you had the Echo in the correct lower gear than the xA. The automatics would probably be about even because the shift points are somewhat forced on you.

Of course, if real life means how a typical xA is driven versus the typical Echo, then I agree. The xA begs to be driven at high rpm while the Echo begs to be driven easy. If the Echo is driven hard though, it will no doubt be faster.

My experience is the gearing of a car like the xA makes it feel like it is going faster, but the real world numbers tell otherwise.
    No, no, they didn't make it up, that particular just got it wrong I think for the "norm". They tested one car one day is all.

The xA is about 1 second faster 0-60 would be my best guess and from what I've read. Figure 9.5 for the Echo and 8.5 for the xA and I bet you'd be right on the money 9 of 10 times.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :P Your results may vary.

mag reviews put the Echo's 0-60 at 8.5-9 seconds. Edmunds' quoted figure, however, is 9.5 secs. It seems the new Yaris does about a half second slower (Edmunds has the automatic at 10.8 secs, no test of a manual. :-().

It is easy to believe the xA is significantly faster, as it is 10% less fuel-efficient and has the Echo's engine. The xA is more geared to rev than the lazy-engined Echo. The Echo will go quickly if you push it (I have fun doing that sometimes), but feels like it has taller gears (my seat of the pants impression having driven the xA a bunch of times).

Why don't we compare RPMs at 60 mph? Let me know what your tach says (you have a tach, don't you? :P )

Oh ha ha! :mad:

Well don't be too quick on the draw about that...try them both.

• If we had the chance to compare them apples to apples that would have been great....thanks Toyota. The closest equivalent would be the Yaris RS 5-door available in Canada, which compared to the xA does win hands down. xA sales would have dried up if they had brought it to the States. The xD is essentially the Yaris interior except instrument cluster.
    Toyota missing it's market again...aiming at the youth, and getting the boomers. If they weren't so interested in upselling the boomers to the Camry or Highlander, they might sell some small cars if they were accessorized like those sold in Europe.
  • redbug68redbug68 Posts: 1
    I think a camber compensator is what you need.
    here is a link to cip1, they have loads of vw stuff.
    link title
  • I have a March 2003 VW New Beetle GLS with 31000 miles. The Power Steering was not working, so I put in more Power Steering fluid and it leaks out of bottom of car. Repair shop the seals on both sides of the steering gear (Rack and Pinion Steering>) have failed and it will be a $1400 repair. Supposedly fornow the power steering pump still seems ok. Is this a common failure????

As I am beyond 4 year 50000 new Vehicle Limited Warranty, but with 5 year 60000 mile Limited Powertrain Warranty.

Can anyone advise if I have a strong case to argue this is covered by VW??????.

In advance, thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    As the steering system isn't part of the powertrain I'd have a hard time seeing the powertrain warranty covering anything.

Not sure that those seals are wear an tear items which I think are only covered for the first 12 months of the new vehicle warranty.

Ah the joys of car ownership.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• A corolla with 64k miles is just getting broke in!!!!!!!! :D
  • Let's see...400 miles on 5.5 gallons of gas....that would be 72 miles per gallon.....hmmmm....I :confuse: somehow think this is not right.....
  • timsstimss Posts: 1
    I recently had some ball joints (upper and lower) and a new stabilizer kit installed on my '69 beetle. Steering worked fine beforehand except for some play in the wheel. After the install, the car doesn't self-correct after making a corner. The mechanic tells me that the new ball joints are tight and need some time to "break in". Have never heard of this type of problem after installing ball joints, but haven't had to deal with BJs in many years.
    Is this normal or should I be looking for some other cause?
  • I just got 4 new tires for my 2002 Turble S Beetle - Mastercraft Touring LSR P225/45R17 and an alignment for the total cost of $642.74. I was told that because the camber is still out (1.2 and 0.2 on the front and 1.9 and 1.1 on the rear) that I will now need to pay another $300 to get an aftermarket product to be able to fully align the camber. He said that VW doesn't provide the means to adjust the camber to where it should be. Are you serious? That would be almost $1000 for 4 tires! I didn't get it done, but he has assured me that the life span of my 80,000 mile tires will now be much much less. Help!!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    Did you go to aftermarket wheels? Just wondering because you said you got tires and an alignment. If the camber is still out, then what did you pay for? Or was the camber still out because of different wheels and now you need something to allow the camber to be adjusted? Just trying to figure out why you have an uncorrected alignment issue.

He IS right that if your alignment is out of whack it WILL eat up your tires in some way.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• melshoutmelshout Posts: 1
    I've got an old Gazelle replica built off a VW chassis with all it's components. The problem is, it's been sitting in storage for about 10 years and I can't locate the key. Would it be easier to bypass the ignition key and switch and just install a push button to start? If so, how do I drill out the steering lock? Any help will be appreciated.
  • Since the Toyota Yaris is still in production, plus a 5 door liftback added this year to the Toyota Yaris line this year, the xA lost.
    Yes but I don't think the "victory" is a good one. The xA was nicer looking and way more practical IMO.

• 2005 New Beetle, 55,000 miles. Put new tires on rear 5 months ago, 5,000 miles on them and insides of both tires completely worn. Can not adjust rear wheels. Dealer says axle is bent. We bought car new, no accidents, no major trauma. Does not sound right to me. Any similar problems out there?