Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008/09 Subaru Impreza STI

Comments

• ccd1ccd1 Posts: 140
    The EVO has traditionally been the better track car, while the STI has been the easier car to live with off the track. The surprising part of the comparo is that the EVO may now be the better car both on and off the track. The STI's one advantage is that it is a hatch and offers performance with a level of practicality that the EVO sedan just cannot match. Both car manufacturers are inching toward the car I think will be a huge hit with those of us not blinded by name plates like BMW: a high performance hatch with a dual clutch system and AWD. Audi actually offered this combo first (A3 3.2), but the car is too expensive for what it offers. Of the two, I think Subaru will get there first as we know the STI will be offered with a dual clutch system as early as next year. Mitsu has a really good looking hatch version of the EVO and already has the dual clutch transmisison, but no one knows if the hatch version will ever make it to the States.

The funny part is that everyone is claiming that the BMW 1 Series is a return of the 2002. I'd say the stripped down version of the EVO is FAR closer to the spirit of the 2002 than the 1 Series will ever be.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,658
    I had posted this Japanese Best Cars video over on Straightline the other day, but the powers that be wanted to feature it here on Inside Line's "Captain Video" segment.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124262?tid=edmunds.il.ho- - - me.photopanel..2.*

There are other videos here as well. Enjoy. :)

Bob
  • ...was very interesting. Makes the Evo GSR sound like a bargain. Personally those twin clutch tranny's will have to prove to me that they are as reliable as a manual thus the MR holds little interest for me (other than the suspension upgrade).

In this neck of the woods, (NE Ohio) the Subie dealers act like the STi is the Holy Grail of cars and one has to prove oneself worthy of the opportunity to interview for the possibility of buying one. I may just keep my perfectly good Audi but if said dealers do give me a call I will check the STi out.. and same goes for the Evo
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    1 series isn't much lighter than the 3 series.

It has way too much content to be a 2002 successor.
  • Well, the STI with it's 5 doors would make it a no brainer for me, but, that Mitsubishi can offer the twin clutch 6 speed auto and .99g's(!) on the skid pad for less money than the STI is truly impressive. The STI just seems a bit overpriced.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I guess that Mitsu got the bugs worked out of the DSG?

-mike
    The fact of the matter is—there are really no losers here, as they are all excellent performing cars. It's really more of which flavor do you prefer?

Bob
  • I'm a bit dissapointed by Subaru for not having the twin-clutch system. But I only buy hatchback. So for now, I may lease a Lancer Ralliart until (if) STI gets such transmission system.

Also, Mitsubishi seems to have a better sound system. Why the F*$% would you buy a $35k without the option to get a better sound system? The STI should have at least better standard sound system than a regular Impreza. 100 watt system is ridiculous. Talking about power. Sh!&, a little supped up Dodge Neon will make a new 2008 STI sound like a wimp. It's not just "vrroom vrroom" sound that I wanna hear everyday. I need some tunes, and real one as well.

The Ralliart has HID option and 8" subwoofer. For now, I'll go for a Ralliart lease this summer unless the STI gonna release an update in early 2009.

Now if Mitsubishi gonna update to a hatchback, I'll take the EVO with Sport ABS.
  • But then in 2009, there might be a new Mazda3. Not exactly 4wd and a lot of hp, but the look should be promising with some interesting new luxury feature to see (hopefully).
    Hatchback only here! It just depends how "hot" hatch is defined. It could be straight speed with 4wd, or a simple balanced and refined car with luxo features at an affordable price that doesn't hurt too much in gas bill as well.
    HIDs can be had for the WRX for $135 from Amazon.com I just did this on my Legacy GT. So the HID not available isn't holding water as an arguement, in my mind anymore.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • "I'm a bit dissapointed by Subaru for not having the twin-clutch system."

The VW/Audi twin clutch tranny requires rather expensive servicing at 40k miles. The Mitsu TC-SST is not dealer serviceable other than oil, filter, and seals. If the unit requires service, it must be pulled and sent to Mitsubishi NA for "evaluation". That would be a show-stopper for me. I'll bet that an in warranty claim would take a bunch of time to resolve and an out of warranty repair would be a real financial whack in the pocket.
    That and the dual-clutch systems aren't really that proven yet. I don't know of any pedastrian ones being used in racing right now (Rally and F1 are NOT pedestrian systems).

-mike
    The first-year STI had not stereo at all, because they figured people would just replace them anyway.

Why not go aftermarket? You can get built-in NAV for half the price.
    Aftermarket nav I think is going away as the newer ones offered are more integrated into the cars. I know in my next car I'm going factory or Garmin, but not an in-dash aftermarket stereo/navi for that reason.

-mike
    True, but I think automakers are doing this intentionally.

We had a nice standard for stereo sizes - DIN and double-DIN.

They are disappearing because automakers are greedy and want that money. They can fetch $2 grand for a NAV system, one which would sell for half that in the open market.

Is the 08 Impreza double-DIN sized? It looks like it is.

I know all but the base Legacy have integrated HVAC controls to make the swap nearly impossible, but what about the Impreza (and Forester)?

PS I ordered a new Nuvi widescreen :shades:
    Which Nuvi? 7XX?

-mike
    I think that the HVAC is integral in the new ones as well.

Unfortunately the new stereos are giving us not only the radio/stereo but information about the car and a lot of them are using it for the HVAC setup as well. I think we will see more and more touch screens being using in the next few years to put stereo and HVAC systems together and simplify them in cars.

Heck I don't really know of many new cars that have easily swappable stereos anymore.

The Boating industry has really done a great thing where they are starting to standardize the size of the GPS openings so you can swap in a different one.

I also would like to see gps power/mounts become more universal similar to a cig-lighter outlet or a USB connection, and then one could pop in their own GPS. I believe I saw that the Jeeps offer a garmin mount but not positive on that.

-mike
    Nuvi 200W. It's the cheap one, just $200 delivered. No Canada maps is the catch, but I have 2 units and the other one has Canada. Plus we don't have any plans to go any time soon anyway.

I figure the way I am I'll replace it in a couple of years, sell the used one.

The new Nuvi replaces my old c320, which I sold to a friend for $100. It needed new maps, so instead of spending $75 for that, I spent a little more and traded up.

I thought about the Costco special on the Nuvi 680, but it would be $480 plus tax, or about $510. It's better but I'll probably wait until prices drop, and replace my other unit, a c340, with that. I already have a buyer for that one, too.
    Got a call from a dealer yesterday, saying they got their first shipment of STIs. So today I ventured over there to check them out.

In a nutshell, I think they look great. Still wish it had better front seats, a moonroof option, and the AWP option. Other than that, it's pretty much spot IMO.

Bob