Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• My CD skipping saga comes and goes. I tried to put in a CD filled with only MP3s - thinking the CD reader would read it - it said disk error and spat it out. With no aux jack, just how does one play MP3s on the Infinity audio system that says MP3 player on it?
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Posts: 160
    When burning your MP3 CDs, make sure that the Session is closed (any proper CD burning software should give you that option) . Azera's CD player can only play MP3 cds who's session has been closed.
  • I used Mitsui CDRs and burned them using Toast. Now here's the rub- with the warranty only covering commercial CDs, how can I convince them it won't play MP3 CDs - where does one buy a commercial CDs full of MP3?

This is driving me nuts - the 2008 Infinity package has no audio input so no ipod connections. I've burned 1000 CDs - all Mitsui, all done on a Mac with pro software - CDR. The same CDs that skip and drop out in the Azera 2008 - play just fine on any computer, any home or other car stereo. I only have so much time - but it seems that when I take commercial CDs - they don't drop out and skip. So is the Infinity system so picky it barfs on all but red-disk quality CDs, arghh.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Posts: 352
    I have an '06 Azera with the uplevel Infinity system and it plays burned CDs ( using Windows Media Player ) just fine - never had a problem. I agree that the lack of an Ipod input is pathetic and disappointing, as is your problem with burned CDs.

Can you try burning a CD with different software? If that doesn't work, it looks like your options are limited to buying a new head unit which will probably play your CDs OK ( plus if it doesn't, it'll have an Ipod input ), or burning new CDs with different hardware. Neither option will be cheap.

I can also appreciate your frustration in dealing with Hyundai. I have numerous chips in my faux wood steering wheel which they will not repair. The wheel looks and feels like crap, but I'm stuck with it. The long warranty looks good on paper, but real world is a different matter. Cheap is as cheap does.

Good luck.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    I know you may have a preference of a certain brand of CD...try a different brand. Not sure if red-disk means the discs you're using are actually red, but that could pose another problem if the laser in the CD player is red as well or another color that doesn't work well with red media. Try a different color disc if that is the case and see if you notice a difference.

Good luck.
  • The Mitsui CDRs are the top - quality ones - they last 50 years and work in every car and every computer and every home or portable player except intermittedly on the Azzy. The same CD sometimes plays perfect - then on a diff day drops out while playing. I will try diff brands and diff burning methods and report back.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Posts: 160
    @allmet,

I think the problem with his MP3 CDs might be that the software isn't closing his sessions. I know for a fact that my Azera won't play MP3 CDs if the session isn't closed.

By default, most of the burning softwares leave the session open so that user can add files later. I strongly suspect that his software is leaving the session open.
    Wobbly_ears...you could be right, but I've burned CD's using Windows Media, Roxio and Nero and have NEVER had any issues playing them in the factory Infinity head unit. I've also used CD's made by Imation, Maxell, Sony & Memorex with no issue either. The only time I had an issue was with an MP3 CD burned on a laptop running Vista. Somehow, Vista leaves the session open and it won't allow it to play. In Windows XP...the closes the session and those CD's would play with no problem.
    I have heard that Mitsui CD's are top notch media, but since everything else was failing...it was just another option to try. I don't know much about burning CD's on a Mac, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it either. Has anyone else burned CD's using a Mac?

Good luck!
  • Thanks guys. I think I found the problem, I was using Redbook complient
    OS9.22 software - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_CD_standard)

I got an important clue - when I took my MP3 CD I burned many years ago, and popped it into my OSX mac - it popped right up and started playing. Stuck it in my XP laptop - nothing happened - no files. Aha - the Azera is like an XP machine!

So, I copied the mp3s to a folder on my OSX Mac and used Itunes to create
    a playlist, burned it - checking MP3 CD, and BOOM - it plays fine in the XP
    box and the Azera.

So, it will be a few weeks to confirm no more audio glitches on MP3 playing - but
    if that works I'll just switch to MP3 CDs, and be happy till the check engine light comes on!
    Glad to hear you solved your trying dilema. Now maybe you'll finally get to truly enjoy your Azera for a change!!! :shades:
  • I just purchased a 2008 Azera today. It is a fine car. I activated the XM radio and can get XM stations. I think I followed the correct proceedure to preset some XM channels. My question is: How do I access my preset channels randomly? What button(s) do I use to get to the presets? The Azera Handbook doesn't seem to be of much help on this subject.
  • garym1jgarym1j Posts: 46
    Good question. Don't know. I just continue to turn the knob for channels. Didn't even think that a preset was possible. Will be watching for the answer. Love the XM. Have lifetime subscription, however it is probably a bad deal in that when you trade cars the subscription does not transfer to a new car. Not good. However the little XM I have for household use is good for life. There are two different subcriptions. Will be looking for the answer. :D
  • hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    I know that the 2009 Santa Fe can save XM stations..... It's saved just by holding the station selection button down for a few seconds--when you hear a tone the station is saved
  • The procedure you described for saving channels in the 2009 Santa Fe sounds like what I did in my 2008 Azera. It is an Infinity sound system. However, unlike my other satellite radios that have individual channel playback buttons, the Azera just has the regular Infinity controls. I was guessing that some combination of the existing controls allows one to playback the preset channels. Does the Santa Fe have individual channel playback buttons i.e. buttons 0-9 etc. or does it use some existing buttons?
  • I've been monitoring the CD & XM threads & have been impressed with the helpfulness of the group as everyone tried to help toward a resolution. Even though I use XM (2009 Limited with Infinity system), I've never used the CD player. That's because I've found the Ipod jack to be the best auxiliary for hooking up my Iphone & more often my Garmin GPS both of which have audiobooks & music loaded on them. I'm also using XM less for music due to these 2 devices.

I use the Garmin more for audiobooks & also for directions. When the audiobook is playing, the GPS will interrupt when necessary, then the audiobook resumes with a playback of a few seconds. (I think the latest software for the Iphone has 30-second playback but I haven't tried it yet.) This is so helpful for me on long drives that it has obviated listening to music & has kept up my attention better. The portability of the GPS is important as I can always resume where I left off whenever I switch cars.

When I bought the Azera in Feb I was specifically looking for the aux jack since I found it so handy in an after-market stereo that I had installed on an older car.

If you're in the process of buying a car, take some time to think about how you're going to use your devices. BTW, I don't put the GPS where I can see it. I just listen for the spoken directions & have been doing it this way for almost a year now. It's just a habit that I formed but I think I'm able to watch the road better by not watching the GPS.
  • LisaDLisaD Posts: 50
    Thank god Hyundai put in iPod integration. I'm shocked at what I can do with the 3GS iPhone (voice control) and nav apps, etc. fully through the stereo, etc. :o
  • I used to tell my boys that if they fooled around with something long enough one of two things would happen: either they would figure it out or they would break it! Happily for me I figured out the way to set-up the preset XM channels on my 2008 Azera Infinity system. Here is how to do it if anyone wants to set theirs: (1) Use the Mode switch on the steering wheel to cycle through the options XM1, XM2, XM3, FM1, FM2, and AM. Choose XM1 to begin. (2) Use the right hand knob on the Infinity radio to select the channel you want to have on Preset 1 shown as P1. My wife likes the oldies so I chose "40's on 4." When "40's on 4 was playing I pressed the selection knob to hold the "40's on 4" then pressed and held the #1 on the second rocker switch from the left. This locked in "40's on 4" on preset 1 (P1). (3) Once again I used the right hand knob to select "50s on 5" and this time pressed and held #2 on the middle rocker switch. (4) I continued using this method until I had preset six XM channels on XM1. (5) I then used the Mode switch to go to XM2 and set six more XM channels. (6) Then Mode switch to go to XM3 and 6 more channels. (7) The same process can be used to set FM and AM frequencies.
  • I forgot to tell how to cycle through the preset channel once set. Just use the "arrow buttons" on the steering wheel to cycle through any six presets. Use the Mode button to go to the next level i.e. XM 2 etc.
  • We have the same thing going on, check engine lights, esc light, barely goes with full petal, stop a while, [non-permissible content removed] off, then its OK for a few days then again it does it. How much did it cost to repair?