Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• srk12srk12 Posts: 5
    thank you guys...
    i just don't think it is a good idea to totally rip out the factory installed navigation system and install an aftermarket unit. i want to just add the ipod functionality and if possible bluetooth connectivity.
  • jamazerajamazera Posts: 149
    Where are the engine guys on this one??
  • Greetings All,

On my 2006 Azera Limited with about 27,000 miles on it I’m hoping for some feedback on an occasional hard shift issue. Normally the car is only driven 10 miles a day to and from work no problem. But on longer trips have hard a few instances of hard shift.

The first time this hard shift bump occurred was when I was driving on city streets 2 minutes after getting off the freeway after a 2 ½ hour drive. On a scale of 1-10 this was a #5 bump like feel followed by a #3 bump in the next few minutes while accelerating from a signal light. There were no further bumps that day, even after another 2 ½ freeway drive.

The second time the #3 bump happened was on an on ramp after a 3 hour freeway drive and a short rest stop. No further bumps that day even after another 3 hour freeway drive.

The last time this #3 bump happened was on a city street after a 45 minute freeway drive. No further bumps on the return trip.
    I’m not sure which gears this bump happens between.

I have no MIL set. So I took it too a transmission shop and they could not find anything wrong but said there was a code C1616 CAN Bus Off Failure. His opinion was that this problem maybe an electrical issue. Has anyone ever had this shifting problem?

Thanks
  • donniedonnie Posts: 24
    My wife owns a 2008 Azera Ltd. with about 46,000 miles on itand we've experienced exactly the same "bumps" under the same conditions you described, mainly after a long, freeway drive. This has happened only about 4 times over 3 yrs. of ownership, so we just let it go, happy that we still have over a year on the warranty.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    I own a 2006 Limited with almost 126K miles on it (all put on by myself). There were a couple of times early on that I had hard shifts happen and the re-flash took care of the problem.
    Have you considered taking the car in and getting the computer flashed? Sometimes, it wipes out any codes that could cause hiccups. The transmission on the Azera is supposed to be a "smart transmission", in that it learns the driving habits of the driver and adjusts accordingly. As with most computers, glitches come up that require a re-boot to get things back in order. Just a thought.
  • Thanks for the info regarding the flash. Do they do a certain flash, like transmission or ECU?
  • ratledgeratledge Posts: 231
    edited March 2012
    I have recently had the exact same thing start to happen, under almost identical circumstances: I drive about 130 miles home from my mother's house occasionally and the first 100 miles is exclusively 70mph interstate highway, and right after I get off the freeway I get a 'hard shift' during acceleration. (I'm pretty certain it's between 2nd and 3rd, but maybe 3rd & 4th gears.) Usually only one, although I think I remember it happening twice one time. My Azzy is a 2008 with over 120,000 miles on it (yep, I drive around 30K miles/year) and it's odd since I never have even a little glitch in the shift pattern going up or down.

Reflash the computer module, eh? hmmm... I'm betting that's not covered once you're not under warranty any more, eh?
    edited March 2012
    I recently had a CD hang up in my changer and somehow trying to find the 'right' button at night to get it to push the darned CD out I managed to activate the "All eject" function, which isn't in the manual (I don't think) but used by service technicians to unload all 6 CDs in one quick sequence.

This all started to happen right after some moron hit me in the passenger side rear quarter panel - cutting it too close in a lane change, fortunately not at full speed, but around 45-50mph. I'm thinking the bump pushed one of the CDs outside the limits of where it's supposed to go, maybe? It would be nice if simply popping the radio on the side corrected the problem, but so far I haven't found the right cadence or slap to do it.

At this point, I've got the darned stereo in what seems to be an eternal "All eject" mode - even if the car has been sitting for a few days as soon as you power on the radio it goes into that mode. The other minor problem is that the two 'guide LEDs' (on either side of the slot so you can easily find it at night) are constantly blinking at a slow rate - even during the day.

Has anyone else seen this issue and if so, what was the resolution? Am I looking for a new head unit, I suspect? I haven't tried popping the fuse out yet, but I'm getting ready to do so. I'm hoping that will at least let me get back to using my XM and other over-the-air (or satellite) radio if I can't get the whole mess fixed easily.

It has sat three or four days without even discharging the battery a little, so I'm not particularly concerned about that. Those two LEDs don't even show up during the day they are so dim, but - I suppose it could be an issue if I was out-of-town for a week, possibly...

Just for extra credit, mine's a 2008 "Ultimate", which is why I posted it here in this specific forum.
    The crack in the dash is over the right (passenger) side airbag, I'm betting? Exact same thing here at about 60,000 miles, fortunately just before. It was replaced under warranty and at 125,000+ miles I haven't seen even a hairline (yet). I suspect they found it in some of the KDM (Korean home market) models which are one year ahead of us in the rest of the world and beefed up the spot where the dashboard is supposed to pop when/if the airbags are deployed.
  • From what I understand in theory this hard shifting is caused by the Pressure Control Sensor/Solenoid increasing the transmission internal line pressure to keep the Torque Converter locked up on the highway. This high pressure then causes the first few shifts on the streets to be hard until this pressure is reduced. So, we just need to figure out if this is a Torque Converter, Pressure Control Sensor/Solenoid or Computer issue. Perhaps the tranny experts can give us some input.
    Sounds reasonable to me. Cheap/easy solution - push the shifter to the right.
    Well, replying to myself - not unusual.

The answer is to pull the fuse for 10 minutes, otherwise it will drain your battery in about 3 - 4 days. Curiously enough, after doing so - the CD player works and switches CDs just fine...
  • Sounds reasonable to me. Cheap/easy solution - push the shifter to the right.

In this shifter to the right position would we have to slap shift through the gears or would the ECU/transmission do that?
    It will hold the gear longer, but shift before it damages the engine.
  • I decided I had to trade her in at only 39000 miles, despite having no injuries in a rear-end accident and loving the car. I couldn't take the low mileage driving in stop and go traffic around Washington DC during my busy tax season this year. My new 2013 Sonata Limited is fantastic.
  • What causes the "CHECK ENGIN" light to come on.
    I have a 2008 Azera V6
    Thanks,
    Jerry
  • Usually a sensor issue. Go by Autozone or Advance Auto and they will read the codes for you free of charge.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Check Engine light can come on for a litany of reasons. From gas cap not on properly to a bad sensor. Mine came on around the 90K mile mark, I took it in and it was kicking back O2 sensor codes. So...as of right now, 1 of 4 O2 sensors is bad. Yes...you read correctly, the Azera (06's anyway) have a total of 4 O2 sensors.

The shop I take mine to wants $125 per sensor, I can order them from RockAuto.com and pay $65/ea. Just a head's up.
  • Thanks, My Check Engin Light went out on its own after a few days.
    Hope it does not come back on.

Jerry
  • penzfanpenzfan Posts: 12
    sometimes its just a piece of [non-permissible content removed] stuck on a sensor