Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Fuel Pump and Fuel System

Comments

• i dropped the clutch of my manual 2002 s10. the engine immediately started steaming (white steam). this was while stopped in a parking spot. i waited, truck restarted and drove about 10 miles...then, truck turned itself off and wouldnt restart. steamed again, i noticed a tube was loose where the steam came from (i assume from the radiator) so i fixed/tightened it. filled radiator back up with fluid(it was empty at that point). truck now tries to turn over and start but it wont. (is there a fuel cut off switch?) can someone help me with this problem? thank you very much! :sick:
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Over heated, but how bad. Check compression.
  • thank you for the reply gonogo. i appreciate it. i know nothing about cars/trucks...so anything helps!
  • I am haveing the same issue with my 01 s10. I am getting the 5.1 volts to pump and the relay is good and has 12.3 volts. Can you help me with this. Thanks Brad
  • I am having intermittant fuel delivery. replaced fuel pump but same problem. Injectors fire when there is fuel, swapped relays but pump still does not come on. Any suggestions?
  • What is the easiest way to replace a fuel pump on 94 S10? By dropping fuel tank or lifting bed off the truck to get at it? This will be the third fuel pump put on thi truck. I can't afford another $450 Repair bill.Would like to attempt this repair on my own. Truck is a 4.3 V6 supercab with 212000 miles.
  • Hopefully you have found the problem by now. If not, check the catylaic converter. My 1998 2.2 L had very disappointing acceleration and the exhaust would clang at idle (like something was loose). They used to sell test pipes, but people would leave the test pipe on and forget about replacing the converter. Since I live in a state that does not require annual emissions testing, I gutted the converter, effectively making a test pipe out of it. I figured even if I wasn't avoiding buying a new one, I was postponing it. This improved the acceleration dramatically.
  • My '03 S-10 started fine, I drove about five minutes, turned it off, turned it back on drove another five minutes,shut it off, it started for about 10 seconds and died. It turns over but its not getting lit. I put some more gas in it without effect. it wouldn't even start when I tried to pushstart it. It seems like a fuel issue but I'm not sure where along the line. Any suggestions would really help. :confuse:
  • 1998 S-10 w.2.2 MFSI I'm retired and the fuel pump has died. can a remote electric fuel pump be installed. I can't afford the $300.00 + instalation.
    Yes, do a google search and you will find the how to.
  • johnjohn Posts: 1
    same thing on my 02 ,truck seems to run out of gas at half tank, double checked to make sure just sending was wrong but i still had aout 9.5 gallons in tank. gas gauge always seems funny because i did run out of gas and the fuel low light never come on. now it seems that at half tank the truck feels like its out of gas. so i just put more gas it till i figure out what to rplace.
  • We have a 2000 S-10. Gas gauge hasn't been working properly for years but was told it's $600 to have a new sending unit installed so we just use the trip meter to know when we need more gas.
  • Does anyone know where i can find info on how to install a fuel pressure regulator in a 99 s10.4.3 v6.
  • 2001 S-10 4.3L two seperate occasions would not start this winter.Both times when put in the building to warm up,eventually started.Faithfully have used Heet in every load of gas,and has occured at varying fuel levels.Had it towed the second time and the repair shop wanted $1100 to repair,claiming the pump itself was $600.By the time I figured out where to get the cash for the repair,they called and said it starts everytime now,so I didn't get it replaced.They also siad they couldn't guarantee the fuel pump is the issue.I have never had a problem in the past,including last winter.This winter has been especially cold,but started on days at -5,and then when it was 12,it didn't.Frustrating as it nows sits,will not start,it is 33 out and should go.Will crank but is getting no fuel.Any ideas?
  • bbrianbbbrianb Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 gmc sonoma with 4.3 liter motor. I have been having problems with the fuel pump not kicking on. I used to be able to hit the hitch with a hammer causing it to start. I thought it was a bad motor in the pump. I replaced the pump assembly and fuel filter. Now it still doesn't come on. I have checked all of the fuses and the relay. All are good. I wonder where to look next.
    You need a wiring schematic and a 12 volt test light. You need to find out where you are not getting 12 volts. The pump wire is grey, when you turn the key on run you get pump power for 2 seconds.
  • I have a 2001 S10 with the 4.3. Having some problems starting. Checked fuel pressure at the shrader valve under the hood and turned the key on and got 55lbs of pressure momentarily then the pressure dropped to nothing without even trying to start the engine. It says in the manual that there should beat least 55lbs of pressure then drop 3 to 10 lbs below that point when the engine is running. If I hit the starter a couple of quick times while the pressure is up it will start and run flawlessly. Any ideas on why the pressure drops to zero?
  • i have a 2003 gmc sonoma crew cab ZR5 4x4. i was noticing problems with my fuel guage so i changed the fuel pump and sending unit out. well to my surprise it didn't fix the problem. whether the tank is full or empty, the guage reads empty and the fuel light is on 100% of the time. does anyone know a fix for this?
    Don’t know if this will help but best I have. Full is 250 ohm and empty is 40 ohm. 2 wires come from the sender to pcm. 1 is ppl and other is orn/blk, orn/blk is ground. It goes to SP422 on LH frame rail behind cross member at transmission. Seeing you have empty tank I would trace the orn/blk first for loss of ground. Good luck