Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Fuel Pump and Fuel System

Comments

• oldironoldiron Posts: 1
    Exact same problem on my 4 cylinder manual trans. I found a broken orange wire at a connector right along side the transmission. I think a stick or branch on the road may have cut it since the wire is very tiny. I repaired the wire and the fuel gauge works fine now.
  • Well at this point we have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, the spark plug wires, and a handful of sensors. Yet the problem remains for it. I have heard the cat might be the problem.
  • yo man those sending units are not that expensive and they are very easy to replace. The whole unit including the fuel pump cost about 300 but if you look around online you can find one for about thirty dollars by itself, and I mean the floater of course for thirty dollars.
  • Is anyone out there familiar with Chevy's plastic fuel line connection. I had to be towed home the other day due to a huge fuel leak under the cab. I slid under there today and found the hose to the filter loose. I pushed it back on and it seems really secure. Should I get the connector replaced? Do they wear out? I had parked in some loose gravel earlier, and had a little traction trouble when backing out. Is it possible that a piece of gravel hit the connector just right to unplug it? I hope someone can offer some guidance, as it is my wifes truck, and now she is afraid to drive it.
    Thanks, Dan
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Buy a new filter, install the new filter using the plastic lock clip that comes in the filter kit for the plastic line end.
  • Thanks. I didn't realize that the filters came with a new clip. I have only had the truck about 3mo. It seems tight now and doesn't leak, so maybe whoever changed the filter last time didn't get it plugged in all the way.
  • valsvals Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 chevy s10, 4 cyl. When I went to change the fuel filter, it came off from the plastic line with a slight resistance. The filter is old, and it appears to have a tiny piece of the plastic line still stuck on the filter end. I was very careful when I slid the filter off the plastic line. Did anyone ever hear of the plastic line bonding itself to a rusty filter end? How fragile are these plastic lines?
  • so how did u fix problem same is wrong wit mine
  • I have a 1992 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 liter V6. It's been sitting unused in my driveway here in Florida for about 4 mo. I tried to start it today and battery dead. Charged the battery, and the engine cranked, but would not start. Poured gas into the throttle body and it will run for a few seconds till the gas is used up and will quit. Ran the battery dead, recharged for about 5 hrs. and tried again with same result. Gas guage went from 1/4 to full. The truck was running fine when I last drove it. Obviously there is no fuel getting to the motor. Could it be filter, pump, or just a bum batter not getting enough juice to the pump. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    When you turn the key on run you should hear pump run for 2 seconds,if not check the connector at the tank for corrosion.
  • You might have a leak in the fuel lines inside the plenum. I checked mine, and had 2 abrasion spots in the fuel return line inside the plenum. One spot was leaking fuel into the plenum. I picked up some poly tubing and replaced it. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator while I was in there, a $50.00 part. I also noticed some abrasion spots on the individual injector lines inside the plenum, so these will eventually need to be replaced also. These were not leaking yet, however. The whole "spider" can be purchased on ebay for around $200.00. My vehicle is a 96 chevy blazer, with 225k miles on it. Evidently the lines abrade each other with the vibration of the engine and eventually wear out. Bad design. I am hoping my fuel mileage will increase above the 14 -15 mpg I am getting now!
  • hi new here. My poor truck is not running, towed from lowes with a load of lumber. yay!
    Was running ok and the service light came on went in to pay for lumber came out and just cranked. Wiggled everything under the hood and it started?

Towed home when it would not start after loading up. Sprayed gas into carb and she fired fine then died out of course. Changed fuel filter last night and injector today, still just cranks.
    Looked in my book and it says how to check the pump and check the fuse that I cant find under the hood.

I can jump it it seems by the directions but I would like to check the fuse but cant find it. Also there is only one relay I see under the hood on the drivers fender so I am guessing that is the f pump relay?

Any help is greatly appreciated !!!

Jon
  • okay guys.
    my boyfriend owns a 1999 GMC Sonoma and he just recently started having problems out of it. He took his dad to work one day and while waiting he turned the truck off, five minutes later he tries to start it back and it won't do anything. Well, he's changed the fuel pump, checked the wires and many more things but it still will not work. Does anyone know what might be wrong with it? please message me back with anything that you could think of because at this point we would try anything just to get it fixed.

thanks! : )
  • cudaman70cudaman70 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I have been trying to get a 92 S10 brought back to life for a friend of mine. The latest problem that I have found is the one side if the TBI shuts off for no reason. if I change the plug the problem follows that plug. And it is intermittent as to where it will throw fuel sometimes and then just stop. But it always follows that plug. I have check the wires form the plug to the harness where the wires go the the TBI. Has anyone every seen such a ploblem, and if so what did you do to fix it.
    The ECM controls the injectors, try to find out if the signal is coming out of the ECM.
  • aburgeaburge Posts: 3
    have 97 S10 replaced fuel pump in april. last nite was running fine. stop at light and died. towed home.. only starts when throttle all way to floor. then runs like only on 1 cylinder real rough. it is 2.2 motor. can hear pump run. replaced filter. once starts will only run couple minutes. dies if you let off throttle. any ideas. money is tight.
    I would check fuel pressure, then you will know if the the pump is doing it's job. Aftermarket pumps have had a poor history.
  • Hello all,
    Have a friend who has a 1997 chevy S10 with 4.3L. Truck ran fine but my friend heard that fuel pumps went bad around 180000 kms, so he decided to replace the fuel pump even though it worked fine. He bought one off ebay after finding prices high and took to mechanic to install and changed filter aswell. Now truck puffs smoke and runs very rough to the point of stalling. Took back to mechanic to make sure all lines were hooked up and proper and he said it was but probably needs a tune up now. After mechanic changed wires, plugs, pcv, rotor and cap the truck ran the same and mechanic has no idea now. Mechanic says the fuel pump might have been bad. Now my friend is tight on funds and cant really afford another pump and has been using my spare vehicle . Is there any info i can use from anyone on possible problems or fixes and solutions. anything I can check, such as fuel pressure and such and where i would check these things. I just want to get his vehicle back on the road and my truck back in my driveway,lol . Thanks ahead
    The pump should have warranty, if not, well.