Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rondo accessories

Comments

• hopx4hopx4 Posts: 11
    The accessory portion of the Canadian Rondo site (www.kia.ca) shows a towing kit available for the Rondo, but not the US Kia site. Same with several other accessories. I am thinking about a towing package also, but read in the owner's manaul or here on Edmund's that the capacity is only 1000 pounds. Since I'd be using mine mainly for bikes, I'll probably just use a roof bike carrier.
  • sra1sra1 Posts: 20
    Rented an 08 which had the Aux connection in the console, think I saw something on here about a difference between the 07s and 08s regarding this feature.

Thinking of buying a new 07 from a dealer near here.

My question is: Do the 07s have the Aux connection in the console ?? One I'm thinking of acquiring is an 07 EX V6 which has the sunroof and "uptown" radio option.
    U-Haul shows one in their catalog and Hidden Hitch, which also makes Valley Hitches, has one on their website also. So, they are readily available. U-Haul quoted $284.00 installed with all wiring ready to go for trailer.
    US 07s do not have Aux MP3 jack; you could probably have one installed and hidden in the glove compartment or the little storage shelf just above the parking brake release for less than $200. The only difference I can see between 07s and 08s (from online reviews) is the MP3 jack and darker tinted windows. I was going to hold out for an 08 if they were going to have power driver's seat, real trip computer and auto climate control like those offered in Canada, but since they don't I bought an 07 with rebate. I had my windows tinted for $225, but have not priced the MP3 aux jack installation yet.
    As near as I can tell, the factory does not offer tinted windows. Got a bid from one of the local tint shops for $178.00 plus tax. This is for a #30 tint, which he said was the lightest one available. Thats for all glass other than the windshield.
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    Hopx4, I have a Canadian-model 2007 EX V6, and the owner's manual states the V6 Rondo can tow 2,000 lbs, 2,500 with trailer brakes.
    I find this a little low though. My 1998 Legacy Brighton AWD wagon, with a 2.2 litre 137 hp 4 cyl and 5 speed was rated to tow 2,000 lbs, yet the 182 hp V6 auto Rondo is only rated 2,000/2,500. Even odder, the Mazda5, with a 153 hp 4 cyl is not rated to tow at all!
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    I think you've made a mistake on the towing capacity bgw. I have a '08 Rondo and on page 5/42 in my owners manual it states the 2.7L V-6 can tow 1000 without brakes and 2000 with, the 2.4L is also 1000 without brakes and 1500 with max coupler weight of 150 lbs (200 lbs on the V6)
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    Conwelpic,
    Ooops! I did make a mistake. I wrote the towing capacities from memory but you are right - I went to the car and got the manual - sure enough, 2,000 lbs with trailer brakes.
    Geez, only 40 and making a mistake like that. I feel old now.
    Still, our old 137 hp Legacy was rated for 2,000 lbs, and the 153 hp Mazda5 (which I am NOT knocking, since I quite like it) is not rated to tow at all. I find this to be odd. Maybe Subaru overstated the Legacy's towing capacity? Nah, too much liability to do that.
    Correct. Edmunds has 1000 as the capacity in their specs section for the Rondo and I remembered that from doing my research; after posting this afternoon, I checked my owner's manual on the way home and saw the same numbers you posted.
    Has anyone added an Aux port to their 07, or had it done ?? ?? ??
  • mcreasymcreasy Posts: 3
    I bought my hitch from hitchesonline.com. They had a Hidden Hitch for $ 80. The wiring harness was $43 i think. I priced Uhaul and some other local dealers and they all wanted $150 and up. I found Overstock.com has a 2 pack of roof mounted bike carriers for $66. Haven't got those yet. Hope this helps out.
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do these do?
    I don't own one, but I would like to see on the darker cars more of a chrome trim around the windows. I've seen some dark blue Nissans like that, and it looks great! :shades:
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    The main benefits are to reduce wind noise, minimize interior heat when parked, and helps to keep side windows dry in the rain by allowing you to open windows an inch or two.
    thanks alamocity for answering the question. Now the weather has finally improved in my area I am now making use of the window deflectors when I park my car, I'm sure glad I bought them.

here's a picture of my hood deflector if anyone is thinking of possibly purchasing one of these. This is the official KIA deflector and lists in Canada for $108.08, its easy to install.

Drives: 2008 Rondo EX, 5-seater, 2.4L
    It deflects...bugs?

About the little awnings on your windows, conwel, I guess I'm wondering, after alamocity's explanation (thank you) why you wouldn't just take the car to the window tinter and put about a 30% screen on the side and back windows? That's what a lot of people do down here in the sunbelt, practically as soon as they drive them off the lot. Is there any advantage to these devices you're using?

Thanks again
    irismq - from past experience, and I guess it depends where you live in North America, but this way it allows me to have all my windows open an inch or so while the vehicle is parked, allowing heat to escape from the car. Even with tinted windows the suns heat still comes strong through the passenger and drivers windows (tint is limited by law on these windows) and also the windshield. You have tremendous heat build up inside a vehicle and even with a/c it still takes a little while to cool things off and this helps speed up the process.
    Also (and this is what I found on my previous vehicle that didn't have them) if you got a sudden rain shower you didn't have to rush out to close the windows, or as in lots of cases it happened overnight while I was asleep and then had wet seats.

Also in some rain conditions (and also in some snow too) you can get fogging on the inside, so this way you can have the windows open a bit in a storm without any rain coming inside, to give your vehicle a chance to get the heat up to defrost it.

As I mentioned initially it was past experience that dictated the purchase and what I had gone through before and I feel in my case it was a very worthwhile buy. We also have a large dog and this will also allow us to have windows open without the wind buffeting that you normally get when you open a wind for just a bit. They are a fairly common accessory in my area and see them on a lot of vehicles.

As I have not had my vehicle through a summer, I'm still not sure whether to get tinted windows or not.

Drives: 2008 Rondo EX, 5-seater, 2.4L
    Interesting! FWIW here in the Southern Plains you can put a pretty dark tint and still be legal. Ontario may have different rules, true.
  • ramblinmoramblinmo Posts: 38
    Seems the two sources I found came to about $186 with shipping. Seems pretty high. Anyone find a better price or an comparative product that would work? Looking to put a soft cargo carrier on top.
  • taximom5taximom5 Posts: 43
    Does anybody know if it's possible to purchase an aftermarket auxiliary iPod connector for the Rondo? I saw in the Honda Fit forum some discussion about aftermarket ones, but couldn't find who made them or how they worked.

I have tried the FM transmitters, with very poor results. Are there any other options for those of us with a pre-2008 Rondo?