Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Camaro Engine Problems

2»

Comments

• i have a 1982 with a 350 in it has holly dual feed carb has spark and fuel i just bought the car it had been sitting. it started after i put a battery and fresh gas in it idled for five min the killed i could start it after that when it was cool if i tryed after it had already been started once it backfired through the carb. and now i can get it to fire but not start. i set the egine at tdc then check the distributor it was was off i put it closer now it fires more but wont start any ideas? timing chain jumped a tooth?
  • I have a 95 Camaro that is losing water. I have replaced the water pump and thermostat. It is not overheating, but probably will if I let the water get low enough. There is no water in the oil. There is no oil in the water. It only smokes slightly until it reaches about 100 degrees, then none. There is a few drips coming out of the tail pipe maybe 4 or 5 drips in 15 minutes. Water coming out is clear (maybe slightly rust colored). No smell or taste. During that 15 minutes of running it loses about 2 pints of water. Can not find any leaks , but I know it is going somewhere. I don't want to do a head gasket job if it is not gonna solve the problem. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks at a loss!
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    from my armchair i am confident it's for sure the intake manifold gasket or head gasket. intake manifold gasket common to require repair on the LT1 V8 especially.
    some of repair/replacement of the gasket is probably is done with RTV sealant, it's not easy to get a good cure/seal, took my dealership 3 tries to get it sealed right.
    personally i wouldn't run that engine whatsoever until it's fixed.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Good to see you again, elias! :)

Claire

HOST

tnx, claire-s, likewise here ! :)

ps - Lately I'm thinking 2012 Camaro ZL1 - with no engine problems.
  • i have a 1989 camaro with the tbi 305 was wondering what could be causing my car to turn over more then usual then starts. by more then usual meaning like it cranks over prolly 5 to 6 times then fires up rather then mybe 2 or 3. also sometimes when i stop at a stop sign or red light i go to take off and it dies but starts right back up thanks for any help
  • sunny46sunny46 Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    we just bought this car and theres water in the oil it doesent act like a blown head gasket i was wondering if the 3.8 could be like the 3100 with an intake leak
    i'd make the same guess - intake manifold gasket - without knowing for fact if it's possible with this engine - but it's gotta be.
    i need a blow up of the fuel pump and sending unit for a 1998 chevy camaro 3.8 litre automatic
    this 1998 chevy camaro3.8 litre has fuel pressure and runs for say 10 min then it has alkinds of pressure and no fuel i have no return pressure so it keeps building until it acts like a vapor lock u toggle the key a couple times and it will start again but then dies again do u know if i shoud have at least a little return pressure to let the air out of the system
    SWAG:
    theoretically the symptom sounds like it can be explained by gasket/flange/fuel-line failure-when-heated on the inbound side of fuel pump - failure allows air into pump intake rather than fuel.
    if that's the case the fuel pump may have irreparably damaged by running too hot due to no 'fuel pump coolant' (fuel).
    if pump/fuel-line is difficult to access, a way to test the possibility may be cold-spray to chill-out the suspect areas/items to see if that delays the issue from occurring.
2»