Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• quadnutquadnut Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2000 Jetta GLS last week, and I love it. It's my second one. I had a minivan in between that I basically didn't maintain. This one I plan on going by the book. I do want to thank the person who posted the message about checking the oil. I need to add some! It seems like for as many horror stories you hear about certain cars...you hear more happy stories. I think that (as long as you don't have a lemon) if you take care of your car, it'll take care of you.
  • mtownsendmtownsend Posts: 26
    #269 of 272: Drivers Wanted? seems like Whiners Wanted.

I hope when your Jetta has problems you keep your thoughts to yourself.
    I do not fall into any of your suggested types, in fact I am just an ordinary driver who expects a car to work, I can tolerate minor problems. I never modify or even come close to 'beating the hell' out of a car. I clean the car every week and check it over at the same time.
    I am disappointed that you feel drivers with problems, cannot share them with other owners or potential owners. I thought that this is the idea of this forum.
    If you feel that 21 days without my car in 10 months is not whining, it is just unacceptable.
    I will list the problems so far with my Golf, just so you know what to expect with your new car.
    1. Window fell out of drivers door.
    2. Engine check light for misfire.
    3. Rear tailgate not lifting, replaced struts.
    4. Interior blower failed on cold day.
    5. 1qt oil consumed per 500 miles
    6. Engine control module failed.
    7. Erratic/hard shifting on automatic.
    8. Rear seat belt replaced twice.
    9. Temp gauge failed.
    10. Fuel pump relay replaced twice.
    11. Corrosion on contacts behind dash.
    12. White deposits on oil filler cap.(Water in oil)
    13. Tachometer working when engine off !!
    VWoA response take us to Lemon Law we don't care and we are not going to fix your car any more.

Hope you enjoy your new car as much as I enjoy mine.
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    Hey, this is a forum which respective Jetta owners come to gether to share their problems or issues. And not to mention support provided by owners. If you want to go to a problem free Jetta forum, you can set up a "Praise and worship our Jetta" forum. I'm sure there are many good things about the Jetta to talk about there. I mean, if you go into a forum that discusses about tractor pull, you will most likely find discussions about cross stitch. Make sense?
    Having said that, I do drive my car like bat out of hell and modified the the car. I have to say, so far the car is rock solid and has been asking me "is that all u can do?!" However I own a Subaru Impreza. The reason I lurk here is because I have a soft heart for jettas.... l8r.
  • daisytdaisyt Posts: 2
    No, I didn't use the hand brake, although that would have prevented the incidence from happening. If the shift stick isn't all the way locked in PARK, I couldn't have taken the key out. We tried this at the shop, and many other ways to see if it could roll by itself. After reading so many problems posted here, I don't know if I made the right choice buying the Jetta. Oh also, there was a letter in my mail box that stated a recall on a part, which I have to take my car in for repair! How much more trouble could any new car could be?
  • yeej67yeej67 Posts: 10
    The correct procedure to park your car, whether you're on a hill or a flat surface is as follows:

1. While depressing the brake pedal, apply the hand brake.

2. Release your foot from the brake pedal and wait until the hand brake catches the car

3. Shift the parking lever to (P)ark

4. Remove key from ignition

I've experienced some problems with my new Jetta as well but they are minor and I'll try to fix them at my next service call. But nothing major to deter me from enjoying the car.
  • yeej67yeej67 Posts: 10
    Where are posts #277 to #281. Can someone clarify. Thanks!!!
  • bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    ...a user named robsail has been posting rude, profane comments. They have been deleted by the host.

Your host, Bruce
  • myvwlemonmyvwlemon Posts: 14
    this site tells all!
    myvwlemon.com
    The new Jetta VR6 sucks
  • When I bought my 96 Jetta GLS is could not wait to get it out on the road. It blew my Acura Integra away or at least I thought I did until I started having repair problems.
    When I told a few people that I had bought a Volkswagon one of them told me I hope you bought the extended warranty because you will need it. It would even be worth it to pay more to buy it after the fact. I put that thought aside hoping that she just had a lemon but was I wrong.
    I will keep this response limited to the window problems. I have had to install a total of three (3) window motors and currently have the one back window motor blown as well. Fortunately the first two for the front were barely still under warranty but the next one I had to pay for (try $500 bucks thank you!). I am having the motors blow every year, just after they go off warranty and now I have a back window that will never go down because thankfully there is no need to have the back windows working. I cross my fingers everyday when I have to roll my driver side window down to swipe my badge to get into my complex or to pay a toll. I am afraid that it will not go up and that I will be forced to drive, in the rain as I have done, immediately to the nearest dealer to have him pull the window back up and then say " you need a new motor".
    Did I buy a lemon or is this the norm with the electronics in the Volkswagons? Whatever the case I will NEVER buy another Volkswagon product again which is a shame since the Passats are really great looking!
  • tonyantonyan Posts: 10
    You and every other owner has a lemon.
    I did also and so did "myvwlemon"
    Go see his site!
  • davis19davis19 Posts: 2
    All I can say is, WOW! Some of you are very pissed off. If this helps. My friend has a 1992 BMW 325i automatic. The other day he went to trade in his car with a 125K miles and the dealer told him the car was crap. His trans was slipping; which my friend knew, thats why he was there, and the dealer offered him $3,200. Hows that for depreciation! Listen everyone, all cars break even a $60K Mercedes. Except there average shop labor rate is about $95. Compared to VW $68 to $72. Even the "Ultimate driving Machine BMW can be crap. So try and enjoy your new cars. As my friend says "If you want to play you got to pay". A little advice to all you new VW owners. Maintain your cars! I am on my 3rd vw ready to purchase the GLS VR6 1999.5 left over. All of my cars have gone over 195,000 miles except for my VR6 Corrado which I recently cracked up going to fast. Not a scratch on me". The VW's make you think you can do anything, so no your limits and enjoy the ride. Besides the blue dash is so cool!! If your not happy you can always buy a Toyota Camery."Boring!!!!!! HEEE HEEEE, HAAAA, that was funny!
  • dan715dan715 Posts: 8
    Has anyone had any luck with their Jetta?
  • asfasf Posts: 4
    I am having great "luck" with my Jetta. I have a '00 Jetta GLS TDI. I only have 7000 miles on it, so I may have a few adventures ahead. But, so far, this car has been great. The TDI engine has been a hugely pleasant surprise. I bought it for the mileage, and that has been great (48 mpg average so far). But, I have been amazed at the performance. Much better than I could have imagined. I would choose it over the 2.0l on performance alone, even if it didn't get better mileage.

Previously, I had an '85 Jetta GL (gas). I put 225,000 miles on it with what I would consider "normal" maintanence and repairs. It was a great car. I think the new one is quite a bit better. The only gripe is in finding good service from dealers.
  • mthikermthiker Posts: 14
    I also have a 00 GLS TDI with about 8K on it and I love it. No problems and it goes like a bat out of h... 48 MPG country drive and 51.8 MPG at 75 MPH.
    I have the LUX package so I have power windows and moon roof. I just received the annual Consumer Report on cars: it lists the Jetta as average maintenance. There are far worst car and far better cars listed in their report BUT ALL CAR BREAK. The report I believe is very representative of the auto industry in today's world. The days are gone where the old lack of American quality rules the industry. Today it is ruled by the Japanese quality of workmanship. Auto companies around the world know if the car they build falls apart every time the key is turned they better sell the company off. I.e. Chrysler to MB, Jaguar to Ford. I sit a Japanese car and I think "plastic clone of Europe styling": I sit in a Germany car I think "so this what the Japanese are trying to clone, a good quality driving steel running machine."
  • Well,after much research I went and got a 2.0 Jetta GLS. I really liked the 1.8T, but was trying to keep costs down. I've only had the car a week and it's a blast to drive, but on day one I had problems with the car. It turned out the master brake cylinder was bad. The brakes would seize up after driving in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes or so. It's been repaired and it's fine now, or seems to be, but I hope I do not rue the decision not to buy a Honda Civic, which I think is a very fine small car. However, the Jetta is fun and had more safety features, i.e., the side air bags and antilock brakes. I drove an '87 Audi 4000, which I purchased new, till now. That's what I traded in for the Jetta. I really enjoyed that car, but it certainly had its quirks. The gas pedal fell off that car twice. I went through several door handles. The radio and odometer failed after one year and were replaced I had the valve cover gasket fail and had oil all over the manifold. I never got more than 2-1/2 years out of a battery for some reason, and I'm not big on driving with the AC on, even here in Houston. I love open windows myself. But, hey, I did enjoy the car, and the window lifter on the driver's side did not fail till after 11 years of driving.
    So it'll be interesting to see how this Jetta pans out. It took me a long time to decide which vehicle to buy, and I spent many hours here looking at posts. This is a great site and many thanks to all who have posted. The information was invaluable.
  • myvwlemonmyvwlemon Posts: 14
    Anyone with problems with VW go to http://www.MyVWLemon.com.
    Please register and add your problems to the bulletin board. This board is only for problems with VWs. My 99 Jetta VR6 is a nightmare!!!
  • dan715dan715 Posts: 8
    Do you have the 5 speed or the auto?
  • I am thinking about buying a new car and love the new jettas. I would probably get the 1.8T but fear the rumors about VW service and reliability. Can anyone help make my decision a bit easier? Other cars I am considering include a 97 VW Golf GL or a new Honda Civic EX Coupe (boring but can't beat the reliability). Any other sources or magazine articles on VW service/reliability other than Edmunds or Consumer Reports?

HELP.

lhedenborg@aol.com
  • wsommarivawsommariva Posts: 157
    Discussed at length here and at www.vwvortex.com. The vortex site is a VW only site and you can see why we own VWs. My 2000 Jetta is great and flawless.