Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    To check for door-seal leak, use a sheet of paper cut to about 2inch wide, 11inch length. Roll the window down and close the door on the paper. (one end of paper INSIDE the car and other end OUTSIDE)

Then, grab the ends of the paper with your hands and "work" it all around the perimator of the doorseal. You should be able to feel any area where the seal is not "squeezing" the paper with enough force to make a good seal.

=====

As for that "tapping" sound you are hearing, it is most likely the airpump that is part of the EVAP diagnostic tests.

It also may be the FUELPUMP you are hearing (it sounds more like a hummmm from inside the fuel tank)
  • phamo21phamo21 Posts: 3
    Michelle, I don't know what is going on with the "jolting and slipping". Mine started happening shortly after I took it into the dealership for a simple oil change. They checked it out and said that nothing was wrong with the transmission. It's weird--from reading about all the complaints, it seems like if your car is still under some warranty, and you try to bring it in for something major, they will tell you nothing is wrong with it. I might be wrong or just upset because I bought the powertrain warranty which will cover my car up to 100,000 miles or 5 years, which ever comes first, and I want to take advantage of it if there is a problem with the vehicle. And there is a PROBLEM with the vehicle! There is nothing I can do at this point to have them fix the problem.
  • tjpochtjpoch Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 97 GLX with 86,000 miles and I was wondering what I need to look for before buying the car.
  • gram60gram60 Posts: 2
    Hi,

The battery has died in my remote key for my 2006 Jetta..how do I access and replace it?..can't find any help in my owners manual

Thank you,
    Gram60
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    Seems very strange for a new car. Take it to the dealer for warranty fix.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Don't do it!!! VW's (especially in the 90's) were not known to be reliable. They are also expensive to repair and maintain.
    It seems odd for a 2006 keyfob to have battery problems. The battery usually lasts 3-5 YEARS.

In any case, here is a VIDEO showing how to access the battery in the keyfob.
  • gilletegillete Posts: 7
    Cool video. It looks easy on that video. When I really tried it myself, it's hard as rock. I give up.
  • syzygy00syzygy00 Posts: 11
    I bought a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta station wagon at carmax last month. Yesterday when I was removing the carmax advertising plate affixed to the front of the car, I discovered that they had drilled holes (four of them!)
    into the bumper of the car to fix the "carmax" plate onto the bumper.

I have not talked to them about it yet because I'm not sure what is the right thing to do to fix it (I want to make sure it doesn't get patched up in a way to
    cause more problems later [rust, etc.]). Cosmetically it doesn't bother me.

I'm also willing to just fix the problem myself if anyone has advice.

Thanks!
    Janice
  • betovenbetoven Posts: 3
    Hi,

Did they ever fixed the Jolting Problem you had in your car?

My car had the same problem you had. Just recently, after a simple Synthetic oil chage, the tranmission got a hole on the bottom. So, after they change it i wonder if the jolting will go away with a new transmission and conclude this jolting a tranmission issue. If so, i am sure a lot of peple with the same issue will be interested to know.

I will post my results soon, in the mean time let me know if your jolting issue is gone please.

Thanks,
    Betoven
  • betovenbetoven Posts: 3
    Hi Janice,

I suggest you use a dry wall patch material. No kidding, i used the same for the same porpuse and the holes are gone. But i also had to smooth out the outer of the whole caused by the drilling. Finally, apply some white paint (or whatever color you need) patch up available at pep boys or any autoparts.

Otherwise, autodetailing will do for a couple hundred bucks.
    thanks, Betoven! i think i could actually do that. (although mine might need to be smoothed also because of the drilling)
  • vwcroatvwcroat Posts: 1
    H,

I have the same problem on my GTI 2001 VR6 model and still could not figure out how to fix it ?

Did you find a fix to it ?
    Most "drywall patch material" is water-soluable and will come right off if it gets wet. (good drywallers actually WET-sand the stuff with a damp sponge to eliminate dust.)

Hope I dont have to explain why using a water-soluable material to patch a hole in your car is a bad idea.

I dont see what the problem is here anyway... dont you need to use those holes to install your front license plate?
  • fedup88fedup88 Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 VW Jetta VR6 and I'm fed up. I had to have a new transmission put in at 34K miles after it was not shifting properly and whaddya know, now, 5K miles after my warranty runs out, I'm having the same problems - stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear, RPMs up to 4000 trying to shift and Tiptronic showing that the car never shifts into 5th. Plus, now my speedometer stays at 0 when I turn the car on, shift to drive and accelerate. My car is currently in the shop and I fully expect them to tell me it's the transmission (though, knowing the dealer, they could say it's nothing). Anyone else go through 2 transmissions in 3 years? Anyone fought VW (not their dealerships) about the transmission issues? Apparently VW transmissions have a 35K miles or less shelf life which is completely unacceptable.
  • Not yet, we have been working with a horrible mechanic who has seen my car about 5 times now. He changed the starter but that didn't work, he then cleaned the fuel line because he said it was clogged but that didn't work, and now he claims that it's the spark plugs, but those got changed about a month ago!

The problem I have happens on very few occassions (usually when I've turned on and off my car various times). When I turn the key it hesitates and doesn't turn on, once I press the gas pedal it starts making deep, low gurgling noises and then a cloud of smoke comes out of the back. We are starting to think it has something to do with the fuel not getting to the engine. Does anyone have any thoughts? Please?! :cry:
  • stmackstmack Posts: 1
    My 96 Jetta is having starting trouble. On warm days only!

I turn the key all of the electronics come on but it doesn't even try to start. I just keep turning the key on and off until it starts. Sometimes it takes a dozen or more attempts. I've resorted to parking facing down hill so I can roll it just in case.

If the air temp is not too high, it will start just fine.

I described this to the the service department at the dealer and to a local mechanic and they looked at me like I was from Mars.
  • joediz8joediz8 Posts: 4
    I see bora on many jettas and was wondering whats the difference, are they really imported from germany or did someone just stick on that emblem? Are they any different from any other jetta?
  • bora1bora1 Posts: 42
    I had the same problem too with my 2002 Jetta 1.8T with tiptronic. I reported the problem to the dealer numerous time while the car was still under factory warranty, and the dealer kept on insisting that there was "nothing wrong" or "could not recreate the problem".

I got so frustrated that i requested the VW service manager to ride with me, and experience what i was experiencing. He "felt" it too, but he said to keep on driving it and if it gets worse, then i should take it back into the shop.

I reported the problem again right after my car was out of the manufacturer's warranty, and this time VW came back and said that the tranny was showing signs of wear and tear. How convenient that the tranny is now "worn off" outside of the manufacturer's warranty??? All along, they could not diagnose the problem, and requested that i drive it until it worsened... until now??

To make the long story short, Autoshield, the extended warranty company, refused to repair the tranny as there was no "physical damage". Well go figure how there could be any physical damage on a 4 year old car. After my wife and I made repeated attempts to the dealer and yelled on top of our heads, and even threatened to file a lawsuit with the dealer and VW Canada, citing Negligence, is when VW agreed to replace the tranny with a new one. At NO COST to myself, despite them initially wanting the cost of this tranny to be split 3-ways; myself, the dealer, and VW Canada.
    It's just an emblem. You can buy them from the dealer. I have a Bora badge on my car. Kinda confuses people :-) and makes it unique.
    fedup88,

Please see my comment to 2004 Jetta-Transmission slips/jerks [phamo21] posted today.

I have fought and WON!!!!!
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    If the dealer won't fix this correctly with proper materials and paint then my suggestion is to get a plate you like and replaced the dealer plate. If you try patching and painting yourself go to an auto body supply store and ask them how to DIY. Good luck.
    Just for clarification, bumpers are made from plastic, therefore rust will not be an issue.
    Some states, as here in GA, front lesence plates are not required.

I am VERY anal about stuff like this and it would really piss me off if a dealer did this to me car.
  • crogcrog Posts: 3
    What is a tranny???? Could it be a transmission ????
    Yes... a tranny is a transmission...
  • My 1996 Jetta Trek had those same issues of hesitating and gurgling for about a week right before it stopped working and the "Check engine" light came on. I got it towed to the dealer, worried that it was the head gasket, but it ended up being the distributor cap (at 90k miles).

Apparently there is something that the mechanics can tell from the color of smoke, so tell them if it is blue vs. white and take a look at your coolant. If it is oily-looking or like chocolate-milk, don't drive it. Have it towed to the shop.

Hope this helps!
    thanks everyone, i really appreciate all the feedback on what to do about this. Since it sounds like rust won't be a problem, I guess I'll just ignore it. North Carolina is also one of those states where you don't need a front license plate. Sure is ugly though.
  • joediz8joediz8 Posts: 4
    I was wondering if the 1.8t has any reliability or mechanical issues that other jettas dont have. Some people say they break down more, and are always getting fixed. Does anybody have any advice. Are they a good buy, or should i stay away from them?

Thanks
    The 1.8t engine is a very relaible engine...AS LONG AS it is well maintained. These turbo charged engine require VW Approved Synthetic oil EVERY 5K miles. If the 1.8t Passat or Jetta) does not get a dose of Synthetic and had oil change intervals exceeding 5K miles, avoid it like the plague. I believe this engine was on Wards list of best engines a couple of years back.