Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    bpeebles found the 2001 VR6 coil and the wires at http://www.germanautoparts.com for less than $500. (See post #3630).
  • Hi everyone, as you can tell from my name, I am a car junkie, just not on anything after 1990. I have a used 2001 GLS 1.8t 5 speed that I just got 6 months ago. I drove my car home the other night with absolutely no troubles at all. Then the next morning went to start it and it wont turn over. The starter is working great and the battery is charged. New cars (expecially non-GM) is an area I'm not real experienced in. It seems like it may be a fuel pump, but then again it could be electrical. Does anyone know of anything it may be? I have had all recalls done on it within the last 6 months. I am going to take it to get fixed but just was wondering if anyone may know of a common problem first. :sick:

One last thing, If anyone in the Tampa Bay area is looking for a great VW shop go to BOB BOAST VW in Bradenton! I go 40 miles to get to them even though I have a Dealership 3 miles from my house. The are open on the weekends and have GREAT SERVICE and HONESTY. :D (nothing like a shameless plug hu?)
  • rennie1rennie1 Posts: 2
    Sorry so long. I had the engine vibration issue. The front bearings are not sealed and can be lubed. It was from the rear bearing. I was told that hot weather is murder on sealed bearings. Once the rear we replaced, the vibration went away. The clip issue for the windows is not only a VW issue, BMW and Mercedes had the same problem.
  • rennie1rennie1 Posts: 2
    gum on the end of a straw
  • donshardonshar Posts: 3
    My 1995 has an oil leak. A mechanic indicated that it is coming from a leaky head gasket. Has anyone ever heard of a leaky head gasket causing an oil leak. It costs about $700 to replace it so I want to make sure that it fixeds the problem.
    If your head gasket is leaking, it would leak a lot more than just oil (also engine coolant). Make sure it's not the valve cover gasket that's leaking instead of the head gasket...
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Does not sound righ to me - I have heard of a leaky head gasket allowing oil & engine coolant to mix - oil in the radiator or coolant in the oil.

But if you have oil dripping out on to the ground it sounds more like a rear main seal (which could cost that much) or a valve cover gasket (which would NEVER cost that much to fix)
    A rear main seal would be close to the dollar amount quoted (since the majority of that cost is the labor involved to remove and reinstall the transmission)...
  • I have a 2002 Jetta GLX that continues to cause me problems. The car has been in the shop numerous times for electrical and coolant problems. I've be to three different dealerships and they fix the problems, but every six months the coolant light comes on and there is a problem with the car overheating or a problem with the A/C.

Two weeks ago they replaced a fuse for the coolant system and fans for the
    A/C. The A/C was blowing out hot air. Now two weeks later the A/C has a bad smell when you start the A/C. The dealer is telling me that it's because of Mold and it's something not covered under warrenty. Has anyone else had problems with Mold in their A/C? I'm not sure how this could happen and does it have anything to do with the Coolant System, which has caused me many problems? Thanks. Daniel
  • bebechicbebechic Posts: 1
    I drove my Jetta out of town about 100 miles from where I live. When I started my car to head back home, the car/engine started shaking really bad. Shortly after, the coolant temp. warning light came on and stayed on, followed by the check engine light. Note: during this month my mother mentioned she saw fluid leaking out from the engine. I drove my car home and it's been sitting for about two months. Currently there is no tranny fluid, all other fluids fine. I had it towed to a shop where they specialize in trannys. In order for them to properly diagnosis my car, it must be in normal running condition first, it was missing a hit.? (It's like a foreign language to me.) So with their advice it has been tuned up and the ignition coil replaced. If all goes well they can start looking at the tranny. I really don't know what I'm doing. Any input or advice appreciated. Thanks
  • tricia1108tricia1108 Posts: 4
    First let me say I love my jetta and up till now I've really had no major problems. However, currently my temperature gauge has been doing some weird things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it'll be in the middle (where it should be) and sudden drop to the left side. Sometime it'll start to move to the middle and then drops back to the left side. I talked with on mechanic (not VW) and he said that I should "bail" on my car! I was shocked!! I have an appointment on Monday at the VW service station. Has anyone had this problem???
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I had an erratic temperature gauge that would wander similarly to the way you describe (not in a Jetta) and after a new thermostat and a new sending unit things are perefectly normal again.

I am not a mechanic or even very handy, but I don't think I'd use the mecahnic who tells you to dump a car based on something that might be caused by a bad sending unit and/or bad thermostat.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    PLEASE do not post the same question in several forums. Most of us are subscribed to all of the VW forums and have to read the same thing over and over again.

I have already responded to your question elsewhere.... now you have answers spread all over the place and it is hard to follow the thread.
  • jpcammarjpcammar Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GLS (2.0, 4CYL, MT) with 32,000 miles that I bought brand new. I recently noticed some odd behavior with the temperature gauge. Earlier today, I was driving and the tempature gauge reached 240 degrees after I had traveled about 5 miles after a cold engine start. The temp light did not come on but I pulled over anyway. The coolant reservoir was full and I saw no signs of a leak. So, I went shopping at the Best Buy across the street for about 2 hours, came back and started it up again. I made it home but the gauge was hovering between 220-240F once again but the temp light didn't come on again either. The manual says that tempature fluctuation is normal if the temp light doesn't come on but it was 65F outside and I have never seen the temp gauge go above 195F in the 2.5 years I have owned the car. Not to mention, I was in 5th and the RPMs were at 2200. I have taken the car on 8 hour road trips in the dead heat of the Carolina summer season and I have never seen the operating temp of the vehicle exceed 195F. I am inclined to believe the thermostat is going bad but I'm not sure...
    Has anyone seen this behavior with their Jetta? Is this normal and should I not be concerned? Thanks in advance!!
  • When I start my car my headlights, A/C, blower, and wipers don't work. There is also a strange 'ghost' light that says my e-brake is on when it isn't. When I turn the key to the right, as if to start it when it is already running (without engaging the starter of course) the problem goes away, but comes back if I do not hold the key in the position. Also, I can get my headlights to come on if I hold my brights on. Any thoughts on the cause of this malfunction?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    What you describe sounds like a poor ground somwhere. This causes what is known as a "ground loop" wheras current is flowing 'backwards' thru things. This is often seen as the "e-brakbrake light" glowing...or the blinkers quitting when you hit the brake pedal..

Another thing that I have done with EVERY vehicle that I have ever owned is to locate, remove, and file the paint from underneath every factory ground point. This effort has rewarded me with fewer ground issues over the years.

Keep in mind that I am TRAINED in electronics and am very familear with "ground loops" and how they manifest themselves. An electrical system with resistive ground points can behave in VERY strange ways.

For example, a resistive ground may be good enough to do simple things, but when asked to carry higher currents (such as headlites or AC), the entire electrical system goes nuts because current is now flowing 'backwards' thru wires that are EXPECTED to be a solid ground point.

If you have a DVM (DigitalVoltMeter) there are additional tests you can do to isolate the failing ground. Clip the BLACK lead to the battery NEGATIVE and probe on various points of the electrical system that are SUPPOSED to be ground.
    The reading should ALWAYS be less than 50mV at all times. (turn on various electric things to verify.) If you detect a problem, just add a wire from there to a good ground. The problem will be fixed.

These kinds of problems are often VERY difficult to isolate. It is often easier to just add additional ground wires to key points of the electrical system to compensate for the ones that are failing.
  • anne82anne82 Posts: 1
    when warming up my car in the morning it sounds lika an airplane after warming up the sounds goes away. the sound is almost as if there might be a hole in something and that a lot of air is coming through the somethings causing this airplane noise. vw dealership told me this was normal then i came to find out a year later he lied the vw dealer ship cant tell me whats wrong and when i went to smog my car 15 codes popped up. the car runs fine engine sounds good no problems with power but i swear every other week its something else with this car :sick:
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Your car is still under warranty, so just let the dealer troubleshoot the problem...for FREE!!
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is looking to speak with owners of Chrysler, Saab, Toyota or Volkswagen vehicles who did all the scheduled maintenance on their vehicle and still experienced engine sludge within the warranty period within the past year. If this describes your situation, please respond by 6pm Eastern on Monday, May 23, 2005 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • nospamnospam Posts: 54
    Hey, I have a 2000 jetta GLX and I was having a similiar clicking issue wiht my car as well. I was even able to fell it on my feet. Anyway, I took the car in and I needed to get my two lower left and right ball joints replaced. It was actually more serious then I had anticipated. So I figured that might be something you should check out if you haven't already gotten it fixed. It cost me about $260 for parts and labor...should be the same for you.