Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nospamnospam Posts: 54
    Apparently my driver side mirror is begining to rust cause these brown, strange but actually quite elgante, streaks are forming underneath the mirror. I spoke to my guy at the body shop and as I understand it VW has some type of aluminum sheet that the mirror attches to to create better reflection or possible reduce glare...something along those lines. Anyway, the brown coloring has created these streaks on the underside of my mirror and I don't know what to do about. I'm not sure if I can remove the mirror and clean the aluminum sheet or what but my mechanic said he would have to replace the whole thing for something like $300 and I don't want i to come to that. Has anyone heard of this problem before? Does anyone have any suggestion on how to solve it?
  • I have the same exact car (2000 VW Jetta VR6) with the same problem. I just bought the car about a week ago and when I started it the other day the EPC light was on so I took it back to the dealership I purchased it from (Toyota) and told them what was going on. They kept it for the day and when I contacted them about it they said they had sent the car to the local VW dealership who told me that my problem was common for this year and model and was covered under one of VW's recalls. When I purchased the car Toyota gave (sold for $1150) me a 3yr 36000 mile warranty that this is covered under so I cant tell you how much it cost. The car wont be done until tomorrow so I cant tell you for sure if that fixed the problem yet, but you may want to ask your dealer if all the recalls have been performed on your car. I dont know if this will help at all but i thought since we had the same car with the same problem (so it seems) this would give you something to try.
  • etherbfddetherbfdd Posts: 1
    i have a 96 jetta glx and my power windows and mirrors are not working i found a 5 amp fus eunder the hood that was blown one day and replaced it shortly after that my windows worked for about three days but since i have replaced the fuse over and over but my windows still don't work has anyone had similar problems and know how to fix this
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Did you get the car inspected by an independent mechanic prior to your purchase?
  • redvr6redvr6 Posts: 1
    My check engine light has been on several times; after paying VW for 2 hours of labor to check it, I replaced Oxygen sensor. I've also replace the spark plug wires, OS again, as well as some other parts. The check engine light has been on again for about 8 months and the EPC light came on three weeks ago. The car runs fine; but the lights are annoying - I don't think there's a"real" problem.

Someone in an earlier post mentions replacing the ignition coil; do you hink I should do this. Should I get an ODBII reader and find out what codes are being returned?

One other thing; often when I start the car, the exhaust smells like sulfur and/or rotten eggs - anyone else?

Have also had the window fall out, moonroof issues, starter, bad smelling A/C.....

I'm tired of dishing out cash for hit-or-miss remedies.

Also, a recall was mentioned, related to the EPC light; details?

Thanks much
  • bogoatsbogoats Posts: 1
    I just brought my 2005 Jetta GL (manual transmission) in for it's 5k oil change and I reported that I was getting a humming noise when turning the wheel accelerating from a dead stop. According to a VW bulletin, changing the tranny fluid to a synthetic based will eliminate this problem. It affects all Jettas '99 and newer. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any long term effects from it(like premature transmission replacement)? The humming noise has ceased since replacing the tranny fluid. The dealer I went to is supposedly pretty reputable in this area and their service department has never seen this before. Seems strange since it has been a problem since 1999.
  • The car was VW and Toyota certified as well as being covered by a Toyota 3 yr 36000 mi bumper to bumper warranty which allows me to have the car serviced at any VW or Toyota dealership. With 42,000 mi on it I talked the dealership down to $9500 on a car with a retail of $13775 and it had the bumper to bumper warranty I thought I couldn't go wrong. As it is the dealership (or Toyota) is footing the bill for all the work being done.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    The "humming during turning" is a known problem (as witnessed by the TSB)

My 2003 Jetta has done it since new, now that I know that it is the differential, I just ignore it. It does not harm anything.

BTW - I beleive that the factory manual xmission fluid is synthetic-based anyway.
    I'll take that as a no, as far as getting it inspected. It's great that it is a CPO vehicle. But, from the research I have done, many dealers don't really do a thorough inspection of these cars. They just "certify" the car and tack a warranty (which is great) on it and place it on the used car lot.

I just know too many people that have gotten burned on used cars. You have no idea how the car was driven. If the car was driven hard, the damage it caused may not show up until many years down the road causing possible engine, tranmission, etc....failure. But, who's to say a brand new car won't have the same problems. :confuse:

I hope you have great luck with your car and I'm glad you have a warranty that will cover any repairs.
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Is it all dealerships in USA can certify the preowned vehicles they traded in even though they are not the dealership? Do they know how to repair those cars or they will send to that brand's dealership for repair?
    Good questions that I don't have answers for....
  • justinthrljustinthrl Posts: 1
    Ok... i don't know if this is the way it is supposed to work or not... i just purchased a 99 1/2 Jetta... Today it is finally 90 degrees and i decided to turn on the A/C to my surprise the car only blows cold air when the vehicle is sitting at 2k rpms and higher. So if i am in stop and go traffic i get nothing but hot air... as soon as i speed up it is icy cold... what is going on here??? please help!!! :confuse:
  • My Jetta was covered by a Toyota warranty issued by a Toyota-Volvo-Jaguar dealership. The Warranty lets me have the car serviced at any Toyota OR VW dealership with no charge.
  • The recall they performed on my car included two switches, one of which was the brake light switch...im sorry I cant remember what the other was I have the paperwork out in the car ill check later. I just got my car back this afternoon so as to whether it solved the problem we'll have to see...
  • My '00 VR6 was also having problems with the a/c working sporadically, the dealership replaced the a/c grounding wire to fix. Dont know if this will help but maybe its a place to start??
  • bmik67bmik67 Posts: 1
    I was searching online to see if others have had problems with their wiper system on 2000-series Jettas. I can hear the motor running for the wipers, but they do not move. Apparently is a difficult repair and known to the car repair community. As soon as I described the problem to my mechanic and mentioned Volkswagen, he said I have to call the dealer. It is an intrusive (and probably expensive) repair. One would think the mechanical fuse of this system would be easily accessible for service.
  • paddypaddy Posts: 2
    I wish to tow a small pop-up trailer with my 2.0 L diesel manual trans. total weight of trailer about 1000lb. Tongue weight abut 100lb. Is this workable?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    It is known that the "pivot points" for the wipers can corrode and sieze up. It is a good idea to lubricate them periodically. Unfortunately, one cannot just squirt some oil in a convienient spot.

It takes some tools (10 MM socket) and then pulling the wiper arms off the splines.
    Then remove the vailance over the pivot points to access, clean, and lubricate them. It is certainly not "rocket science" but if not lubricated occasionally, then eventually the motor will either not be able to move the wipers -- or break the linkage.

There are detailed instructions on how to do this on the internet... you should be able to find out all you need to know with less than 15 minutes of searching.
  • jason0820jason0820 Posts: 21
    Have a '03 Jetta 2.0, and have experienced erratic problems with the error code coming on in the single deck CD player (standard factory installed)... I use primarily burned CDs, but error also comes on when playing standard store purchased music CDs.
    It doesn't happen all the time, but every so often when I turn on the player... usually goes away after I switch back to radio and then back to CD, then it starts reading it again fine. Anyone else experience this quirk in the factory instal CD player??
  • I Have a 99 1/2 jetta diesel 5 sp with 215,000 km's that has been towing a small trailer since new. Once when I overloaded the trailer and lugged the engine down I fouled the MASS air flow sensor. Turbo and fuel would not work properly( 50 mph top speed ) Replaced sensor worked great. Major problem with towing is not to overload breaking system,. The car was not designed to tow . I have had no problems but with towing safety is always a issue. My tongue weight never went as high as 100 lbs. but the trailer weight has exceeded 1000 lbs.Maybe your axle on the trailer can be shifted forward to lower the tongue weight