Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mrjettemrjette Posts: 122
    I had an '02 Jetta with a similar sound. Although it only had 20K at the time, it was indeed a bad wheel bearing. The fact it gets worse on turning makes me think you have the same (this puts a different stress on the bearing). Mine was replaced under warranty, but the invoice shows a value of $312.00 from the dealer (in 8/04).

Good luck.
  • eyc51keyc51k Posts: 41
    I am not calling you a lair. But a simple hit of a pothole in no way will destroy the basis frame work structure, and if it did, then thousands upon thousands of people would be screaming at the same time that Jettas are flimsy junk. Flimsy they are not. Flimsy isn’t an automobile with the capacity to go upward towards a half a million miles before it’s service life is over.

I honestly believe you have been snookered via of some very incompetent shysters supposedly repairing your car. If they knew what they were doing, then only one trip would have determined the extend of this supposedly, excessive damage. The kind of damage you speak of is found in car crashes where body shops then send them to frame shops for structural repairs, not a simple pothole hit.

I have been a mechanic for over 30 years and I just can't buy this story, there are details you are not reporting.
  • Why aren't you claiming this on your insurance?

Musta been one helluva hole to do that kind of damage...
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,489
    Yes, as a follow up, if indeed it was caused by roadway imperfections, you can file a claim with your responsible agencies: city, county, state, fed .
  • If you hit a hole deep enough and hard enough, you'll damage any car, even a heavy truck. I suspect this "hole" was not your average pothole but a very deep one---given that the tire blew up....in effect, hitting a deep hole is like a collision...the forces involved are tremendous.
  • zane2zane2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta 4 1.6 that went for its major service recently. Prior to the service, the car would accelerate sluggishly, have a slight shudder on the accelerator pedal; and sometimes even switch off. The mechanic thinks that it's the throttle body electronics that's faulty. Has anyone experienced this, what do u guys think?
  • I have a 2001 Jetta VR6 with about 115K miles. My check engine light has been on for about 1.5 yrs, I have brought it in a few times and everytime they tell me it's the O2 Sensor but after being replaced I get the light on again in a few months. This morning the Check engine light began flashing at me (it would flash for about 1 minute, then turn on solid for about 1 minute, and continue like that). I have made an appointment at the shop, but I'm currently about 40 miles from home, should driving home significantly increase my chances of damaging anything (I have already driven 40 mile to work with it flashing).
    Thanks!
  • The problem is that they haven't been fixing the problem. All the codes tell you is the general circuit that is affected, not the actual component. Computers that identify each individual defect in a component aren't here yet.

Replacing th 02 sensor is merely fixing the symptom. What this shop needs to find out is what is making the 02 sensor unhappy...or find someone who knows what to do.
  • When it makes the shift from solid check engine light to flashing, does this mean I've gotten to the situation where it should not be driven at all?
  • I don't know how your particular car works in this regard, but engine lights mean there is a problem, so it's always a risk. I suppose if the car is running fine you can slide with it but who knows for sure? I presume your gas cap is screwed on REAL tight?

But anyway, just throwing 02 sensors at this light isn't going to solve the problem, obviously.
  • I have a 2003 VW Jetta stationwagen less than 38K mi and has been in the shop 5 or more times with the same problem: gear gets locked in park and I am unable to move it into reverse, and the EPT light goes on. The dealership and the CustomerCare number will not release the name of the field office manager. Does anyone know how I can contact the regional manager for Northern California---bought the car in Sunnyvale, have it serviced in San Mateo area? I have filed a complaint with the Customer Care office. What else can I do? Doesn't this fall under the lemon law? Any suggestions?
  • HI. I JUST HAD A SIMILIAR PROBLEM WITH MY JETTA. THE DEALERSHIP SAID IT WAS SOME TYPE OF TIMING BELT OR SUMTHIN. ONCE THEY FIXED IT,IT WAS FINE. WHEN U PUT UR FOOT ON THE BRAKE,AND TRY TO MOVE UR GEAR FROM PARK TO REVERSE,ETC IT DOESNT MOVE RIGHT? IT IS A PAIN. MY MAJOR PROBLEM WITH MY CAR RIGHT NOW AND HAS BEEN SINCE 3 MONTHS AFTER I PURCHASED IT IS WITH THE TRANSMISSION. THE CAR JERKS AND LITERALLY HAS TO THINK WHAT ITS GONNA DO WHEN I CHANGE GEARS FROM REVERSSE,DRIVER,ETC. THEY DEALER I WENT TO CLAIMED ALL VW'S DO THIS. I HAD A LAWSUIT FILED WITH LEMON LAW AND THE FOUGHT IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS THEN DROPPED THE CASE. I HAVE A STACK OF INVOICES OF HOW MANY TIMES THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN WORKED ON. WHAT DO U THINK I SHOULD DO?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I think you should turn off the CAPS LOCK.
  • Yes turn off CAPS LOCK--most people will ignore posts written like that, as they are too difficult to read and also appear as if you are "shouting".

Host
  • I didn't see your previous message, but I also have this problem. It happened shortly after I (yet again) had a penny slip into my 12V outlet (blew a fuse of course). I don't know if it's related or what. There was some flickering before it went out, but it's those same 3 bottom controls for the air. I now have my fuse card out, but I haven't figured it out yet.
  • sorry. im at work and i have to shift back and forth on my caps lock. i probably 4got. i have 4 monitors that i have to use on my desk! (:
  • i recently purchased a 2006 2.5 Jetta, pkg. 1. does anyone have any advise are information on what i should expect. I am going from a 2002 toyota rav 4 to this car. how does VW handle in the snow? how is the gas mileage?
    thanks!
  • It's a bulb that was blown for me. I took it to my VW dealer where they told me it would be 20 bucks or so. They ended up giving to me for free and walking away having to pay for nothing. My VW dealer is the best, this is the second time they done something like this for me. Good Luck! :)
    Hi redjetta...The jetta is great in snow due to the ESP feature. We have been getting 24-27 mpg in various mixes of driving. Have not done a long highway trip yet.
    4 monitors, that's nuts :) .

I don't think that this is your problem, but I have read of the transmission sometimes needing to be "reset". I found this version of procedure, if you want to try it:

1. Put your key in the ignition and turn ignition to the on position (the position right before you start the car)
    2. Hold down the gas pedal all the way down so it is pressing the button under the pedal for at least 20 seconds.
    3. Let foot off pedal and start car. Be sure that you do not turn ignition off because that will void the reset