Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My wife thinks the ESP is fantastic for winter driving too. I am going to try to hold out for that in whatever new car I eventually get.
  • 10641064 Posts: 2
    I had the exact same problem with my 2004 Jetta 2.0 automatic transmission. I Had 27000 miles on the car. I took it to Appleway Volkswagen in Spokane, WA and they replaced it with a new one. They didn't say what was wrong with the old one, but I didn't care as my warranty covered it. This was just done two days ago.
  • whyvwwhyvw Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Jetta GL with the same problem. I had a similar problem at 65000 miles and since my car was under warranty (Certified Used), it was fixed my VW. Now I have 128K+ and looks like I have a 'Torque Converter Lockup Clutch Mechanical Fault'. The VW service says that I have to replace the entire transmission. I can't believe that transmissions can't last beyond 65000 miles! I am yet to resolve it. I called VW customer service and they wouldn't help. The car is still at the VW dealer/service.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    From what I have heard about recent A3s, Jettas, GLIs and GTIs, there is at times a bit of a timing problem when using the iginition key too quickly. Try to inset the key a bit more slowly, taking your time before you actually turn it. This is not a joke - several things need to be initialized and primed before the engine can start. If the engine does not even try to turn over with a good battery --- this is a sure sign that something got skipped.
  • chrisnhchrisnh Posts: 22
    Mike,
    Talked to my plow guy this morning. MechEng student at UNH, daughter's contemporary, think he is on break. "Oh yeah, going downhill jerks and all sorts of nonsence on my mother's Audi. We pulled the wheels a couple of times to get rid of the ice on the inside of the rims. You know we live on a dirt road and we think that contributes to the problem".

Why do I think mom's car is now parked every night in that nice heated slab floor garage that the "boys built" to work on toys. :)
  • mrjettemrjette Posts: 122
    Chris,

The simplest of solutions. Again, I kind of freaked and thought the worst when I suddenly experienced the carzy vibration. But, considering a small weight (like 1/4 oz.) can be used to create "balance", a frozen chunk of ice will certainly create "unbalance".

Glad it worked out for you.

Mike
  • rcolli02rcolli02 Posts: 1
    We have the exact same problem with our 2002 Jetta. 45,000 miles. Losing lots of oil mysteriously every couple of thousand miles. Clean motor, no apparent leaks, no excessive smoking. Dealership has no clue what's going on with it. Offered a lame explanation saying that this is common for VWs to burn so much oil. Has anyone else out there experienced this? If so, any answers? :confuse:
  • waluleywaluley Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Jetta that has already had the hazard switch replaced by a recall a year ago. However, now when I complete a turn and the signal turns off, there is still a intermitant clicking. Sometimes it is fast and stops, sometimes it will click a few minutes later or while I am driving. I went to the dealer and bought a new switch to replace it and still have the problem. I have read that the signal will click faster when a bulb is out, could this be the culprit?

Any answer would be appreciated, because the clicking will drive me insane.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    The dealership was correct!! Some of the 2001-2002 2.0L engines do - in fact- consume oil.

Consuming oil - by itself - is not a big deal. HOWEVER: Allowing the oil to get so low that the pressure-light comes on may damage the engine.

My daughters each have a 2001 VW (Golf and NewBeetle). The Golf consumes oil while the NB consumes none at all.

Check your oil at every gas-fillup and carry a quart of 5w30 at all times.

Also, check your snowscreen and clean it often. Most of the oil is being sucked thru the intake (PCV system) and keeping the snowscreen clean can reduce the amount of vacuum in the intake plenum.
  • I'm considering purchasing my leased 2002 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI. Does anyone know the cost of the extended warranty, what it covers and whether or not it's worth it? Anyone have experience with the VW extended warranty?
  • jkrug9jkrug9 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 VW Jetta VR6 and have been havng a problem I was hoping one of you may have run acrossed. I haven't driven it for some and noticed recently as soon as I start it I hear kind of a whine for about 2 seconds. It does this everytime. The car seems to run fine otherwise. I lifted the hood and had a friend start it a couple of times as I listened. It does not seem to be a belt (though it does kind of sound that way). Seems to be coming from the back of the engine. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
  • I am in the market for a 2001 volkswagen jetta 1.8L Turbo. I was told that by having a turbo charger on any car engine would cut the engine life in half. I was wondering if this is true.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    No, maybe 10% less longevity on any factory engineered turbo vs. the same engine normally aspirated---if you bolt one on an engine not built for a turbo, you might not do as well.
    I have never heard of anyone actually wearing out an engine. (Except a trucker-buddy that has about 1 MILLION miles on his Freightliner)

If you follow the VW recommendations and use the proper engine-oil and only run hi-test gasoline, I am certain you will not wear out the engine before the rest of the car wears out. (well over 150K miles )
  • crossbolcrossbol Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T and I've been using regular gas. I did not have any problems by using regular gas. What they told me is that while you stay with one type of gas you are fine. And be sure you get it from a "reliable" gas station.
  • I would love to get the turbo engine, but the premium gas factor turns me away. is that ok to use regular gas in the turbo engine??
  • migelrmigelr Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Jetta and was driving along and the motor just quit. Doing checks on it I have no fire or fuel. Have changed coil out and checked all wires and stuff. Has anybody had this problem and what do I look for? ECM ?
    Mike
    There is a reason that turbocharged engines reccommend higher octane fuel. Some people may report that they have had "no problems" while running low-octane fuel... but they are only fooling themselves.

Higher octane means SLOWER BURNING fuel as compared to lower octane. Using too-low an octane in a turbocharged engine is asking for PRE-IGNITION. This can put a hole in a piston.

Do yourself and your engine a favor... follow the recomendations for fuel and oil. German automobiles especially need to follow the recommendations. Squeezing that kind of performance from a small engine means that the engine is under more stress.

I also was turned away by the requirement for hi-octane fuel in the 1.8T. I ended up with the TDI... it is ALSO turbocharged.... and gets up to 56 MPG.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Is the $10 more per month in premium gas really that much of a deterrent?
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Totally agreed with Bpeebles. If you (fppdrummer)want to ruin the engine, go for 87 octane. You can try the difference of power, by putting 93 or 94 octane gas. Its just night and day. My VR6 also requires minimum 91 Octane, but now I use 93 or 94 octane to get the best power out of it. Good luck if you keep using 87.">link title