Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    In refernce to your comment about the percentange of cost in an American-named vehicle which is paying for retired employees. Yup - that is correct.

The Unions have grown so large, they have taken on a life of their own and are sucking the very life out of the huge corperations which sustain them. Experts are predicting that unless somthing changes... the Unions may end end up killing off at least one of the 'big 3' automakers. (I assume you know that Damler-Benz unloaded Dodge/Chrysler like a hot-potato because of this)

In related news - VW is purputed to be considering a plant in North America. They have already said in no uncertain terms that they will NOT be using any Union labor. (Like what almost swallowed Toyota when they 1st came to NA.)
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,708
    ..."Still more reflections on the QUALITY of the materials which VW uses"...

The engineering process can extend to the maintenance and repair also.

Here are 2.5 examples:

1. VW recommended/specified G12 antifreeze/coolant (unless there are internally/externally induced problems) is a LIFETIME coolant vs the various type recommend for many other vehicles.

2. VW (to be fair, among others) started out with 10,000 mile OCI recommendations. The latest standard (VW 507.00) is the so called "extended" "long" life, and we are now talking of up to 30,000 mile OCI's.

.5. are the topside oil evacuation capability, another is the so called topside CARTRIDGE oil filter replacement. While I have never done, this you can literally do a road side rest stop, oil and filter change with the MINIMUM of tools in app 5/10 min.

This for me is EASY to contrast with almost any other vehicle I have or have had:

1. recommended 30,000 mile coolant change

2. 3,000 to 5,000 OCI recommendation (filter also)

.5. Almost all vehicles need/ed to be jacked up for oil changes. Almost all oil filters have to be accessed from under the engine bay.
  • Hi.

I had the MIL warning light come on this morning on my 2002 Jetta 1.8 Turbo. This warning light was solid. We came up with the code P0300. Our manual that came with the diagnostic checker is in French. Do you know what this particular code means?
  • My 2003 Jetta is in the shop for the 2nd time with the same problem: malfunction indicator light came on and fault was dx'd as P0501 for vehicle speed sensor. Per VW tech support, the transmission was taken apart and 3 internal speed sensors were replaced. After having my car back for 1 day the engine light came back on for the exact same fault. They had my car 10 days the first time around, diagnosing the problem and trying to fix it. They told me that VW sent the wrong size part and they had to re-order. It is covered under the power train warranty as it only has just over 40K miles. Has anyone had a similar experience and does anyone have any suggestions? The VW service dept. seems to be clueless, relying on VW tech support for guidance. Thank you.
  • Wow!! great info!! It seems as though there are many little details that I was not aware of about VW in general. I didn't know about the galvanized steel vs. what US and [non-permissible content removed] auto makers use. About the change in oil change requirements, is that for all vw's?? including the new tdi's? that would be sooo cool!!
    Again, thank you for all the great info!
    ;)
    Yes, the new TDI's (PD or pump duse, especially) have some VERY specific requirements. If you have a PD TDI pay particular attention to the EXACT specifications, as even VW dealers have a (potentially destructive) habit of using the WRONG specification oil.

But indeed if your specific owners' manual and more importantly specific engine specifications calls for the 507.00, that is the code or standard for up to 30,000 mile OCI's (long life, etc, etc.) The PD's as a rule are @ 10,000 miles OCI's.
  • omarhomarh Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I've a VW Jetta 2000, about 2 weeks ago i found the warning light on the dashboard for the front brake pads switched on, i had my pads and the rotors changed but the light is still on, another thing is that in the same time sometimes the heat warning light also flashes while i'm sure that the temprature is ok!!, i believe that i have to replace a sensor or something, but is both problems are from the same cause or do i need 2 sensors? i really need help.
    Thanks alot.
    If you origianlly had front pads WITH sensor and they were replaced using pads WITHOUT sensor.... the "pigtail" from the old pad must be left plugged into the socket and the wires connected together. This will essentually "disable" the sensor circuit.(make the light on the dash go out)

As for your temparture thing... the "engine temparature sensor" on the 2000 model year is KNOWN to fail. The "improved" replacemeht is a green-colored one. On the 2.0 engine, it is VERY easy to replace without even losing any anrifreeze.

Cost of replacement (green) sensor including O-ring.... about $14. ( http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_109&products_id=351 )

I replaced "engine temparature sensor" on my daughters 2.0 engine at night with her holding a flashlight. (The only 'tricky' part is disconecting the connector.)
  • joker55joker55 Posts: 49
    is this only for TDIs or does it apply to any VW model? i have a 1999 2.0 Gas, and my sensor is blue, should i replace it or is that the correct color for my engine?

thanks
    The green temparture sensor replaces ALL the engines which used the defective one. This includes TDI, 2.0L, 1.8T engines. (I am not certain - but I think the rectangular-connector sensor started use in the 2000 model year)

I am not sure if your 1999 has the same engine which uses the green sensor. The shape on the electrical connector is different so there is no way to mix up the sensors. (If you read the link I provided above, it describes the shape of the connector. round -vs- rectangular)
  • I too have this problem with my 2003 jetta and I've taken it to the dealer and 3 other shops and the problem is still there. At times I cannot shift out of park into drive, until 15 - 30 minutes of waiting. It's intermittent, but also drives me crazy, completely unreliable. Any ideas on how to repair this problem? Weather doesn't seem to be a factor and now I'm looking to just sell the car. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • I have a 2001 VW Jetta and just recently the EPC light in the dashboard came on. I have no idea what this means since I do not have an owner's manual. Now my car has died, whatever is going on drained the battery. Can someone tell me what this "EPC" light means?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    EPC = electronic power control, I believe this serves the same pupose as the "check engine" light on other cars. You will need to have it scanned to find out what specific problem it is detecting. Battery problem may just be coincidence, I think EPC only has to do with functioning of the engine and emission controls.
  • I will say this about buying a car, no matter what you do or buy, there will always be a risk of getting a lemon. I will say as the owner of 3 vw's an 81 jetta, a 2001 and now a 2007 jetta, you really need to stick with the maint. schedules, as with any vehicle, and the next best thing is to find a well recommended german car mechanic. I say mechanic, because that is what they do, they are not into it for profit and usually are supporting their families not a boss. They are not only cheaper, but they know how the cars have evolved. I have found one here in central massachusetts and it is amazing the difference. All I will say is slam the door on a vw and tell me about the thud and then do the same on a a japanese car and listen for the echo.
  • EPC stands for Engine Power Control.. it could be on for numerous reasons from mass air flow errors to throttle controls.. your best bet is to see a mechanic or analyze the problem with a VAG reader..
  • Ok so I drive an 01 Jetta, and I'm having major problems!!

1) My turn signal sound won't stop making the clicking noise even when the turn signal is off
    2) My car won't start correctly, I have to hold the key in the start position for about 45 seconds to get it to start.
    3) When the car does start it shakes really badly, and sometimes just shuts off
    4) Doesn't idle properly
    5) Today I was slowing down for a light, and it felt like my car shifted down into first and then wouldn't shift out to speed up when the light changed.
    6) Also my check engine light, won't go off

So I am taking it to the mechanic tomorrow morning, but if anyone else on here has had these problems please let me know. (I am just worried as to how much the repairs are going to cost) The car is an automatic with 92,000 miles on it!!
  • My 98 jetta seems as though it needs transmission fluid. when its cold it has begun to act as though in neutral and then slam into gear upon a take off from a stop. this is an automatic transmission and has no trans dip stick. I usually do most of my own maintainance and have a Chilton manual for this vehicle. all the book tells me about the trans is that there are several different vehicle platforms and trans types but doesn't say how to identify. I spoke to the dealer and they said there was a sealed plug on the side of the trans. I found a small allen screw on the front of the trans as you look directly under vehicle from the front, next to the breather and right above the skid plate. the hole is to small to get my finger to check fluid and want to make sure this is the right place before I fill the wrong spot. If anyone can help me with some info I would really aprecciate it. Thanks
  • fpjdpfpjdp Posts: 10
    I have the same exact problem. What I found was that the vehicle has to go to a tranny shop for them to check the fluid by a computer. But who do you trust. I have yet to do this. If you find any other info Please let me know. Thanks :(
  • 2005 Jetta Station Wagon Smells Like Cat Urine Inside
    Mileage: 40,000 approx
    Engine Type: 4 Cylinder ?

Hi There,
    My neighbor moved in about 3-4 months ago from Greenville, SC to SW Florida during the rainy season. After a month, her car began to smell like ammonia inside. I have sat in her car and smelled it and it is strong.

She is blaming my cats. She says that they are spraying the tires and under carriage of her car because she transports her dog in the car.

I am not so sure because:
    1) There is another dog owner in our p-lot and they have never approached me about this issue.

2) I struggled with a cat pee smell in my own vehicle (1998 Dodge Dakota) for 5 years before I broke down and spent $1,500.00 to get the dash pulled, the carpet replaced, and the A/C problem fixed (The work was by Toyota Pre-Owned in Ft Myers,FL but it only lasted 2 years and the carpet crystals are back - another story).

3) I own a portable black light that came with the product Urine Gone. I have repeatedly checked the tires and undercarriage of her car and do not see anything.

Can you let me know if this is a problem that other VW Jetta wagon owners have had?

The owner refuses to get the mechanical aspect of this issue checked due to "cost" but she is demanding that I keep my indoor/outdoor cats inside and pay for her vehicle to be cleaned.
    Sounds like the two of you are in a P---ing contest almost totally unrelated to specfic VW maintenance and repair, other than it happens to be a VW wagon. It also does not appear to be your problem. But I would agree, it is not considerate to let pets do their business which inevitably affects someone elses property. You'd probably be more than miffed if she had animal control set a trap and your pets were in it and carted off to the local euthanasia station, for claim check, count down and eventual disposal. :(