Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vwirksumvwirksum Posts: 1
    I have read the message post 953ish and 985, among others, and see that others are experiencing the exceedingly irritating rattles found in the Jettas. I have a new 2001 VR6 with less then 4000 miles. Mind you, the car is very good (aside from a water leak in the rear driverside door that the J.A. at the dealer are giving me the run-around about) but a periodic rattle from the rear driverside tweeter and from the dash near the windshield is VERY irritating. The only way I can put up with it is to play the music loud. I wish the service people at VW would link there common problems so that they could provide common solutions to the frequent problems. If anybody has experienced the same problems and had it resolved, please let me know. Thanks.
  • bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    In defense of Mr. Shiftright, I am assuming that when he said 'adhesive' that he meant 'adhesive' and not tape. Especially when he warned, "...but keep it off the paint if you can."

You might try your local car window fixit shop to see if they have any 'freakin' adhesive and quit using the tape. ;-)
  • jettaforumjettaforum Posts: 1
    vwirksum,

I posted 953 and was experiencing the rattle sound from the tweeter area on the back doors.
    After replacing the tweeters and the rattle persisting, the dealer seemed to know exactly what the problem was on my 3rd visit:

The lock aparatus, where the latch goes in and out, is somewhat loose. That rattle sound you hear is not coming from the tweeters, but from the latch vibrating. They took the locks apart and added a this foam tape around the latch, and since then the sound has diappeared. I have not wxperienced the dash rattle sound (yet). The dealer mentioned that they have had quality problems from the Mexico assembly line.

God bless NAFTA, right!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,050
    yes, 3M weatherstrip adhesive is a glue, not a tape, and believe me, that trim is NOT coming off with that stuff. It's like a contact cement, and if you follow instructions, it is very durable and waterproof. A perfect adhesive for your task, I believe.

RATTLES: Sometime all this plastic in the dash rubs together. A ligh silicone spray (greasless spray) sometimes works.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• wonderwallwonderwall Posts: 126
    that's true you can't check the transmission fluid in a 97 jetta. i wouldn't take it to midas or aamco or any place like that. those people can really mess up a vw. i took my 97 into a quickie oil change place and oil was leaking out at the drain plug. i took it to a VW mechanic and he changed the oil and i haven't lost a drop.

not sure about the coolant issue. the coolant in mine is pink. i can check with my mechanic next time i talk to him.
  • ddk80ddk80 Posts: 1
    I have had problems on a 1999.5 Jetta GLS. I had 27000 miles on it, and the passenger side window motor went out. Since my warranty expired once I passed 24000, I was out of luck. I love the car, but it is pretty crappy that the motor would go out only after 24000 miles
  • Just FYI... There is a one time use copper "crushable" gasket that must be replaced at each oil change that fits under the drain plug. The old one discarded. I had an 82 and an 85 Rabbit/Golf and found this to be very true as I changed the oil myself. If I didn't replace the gasket I had the oil drip hands down... A new copper ring ensured a tight seal. This is no excuse for the quick change place as they should know this info.
  • bhorngbhorng Posts: 1
    just fell off around 24,568 miles. Dealer says the window regulator needs replacement. Factory says they may grant one-time good will waiver.

I was told Jetta has this window problem quite common. If so, wondering when other windows will fall off.

Got 3 people complaining about the windows in just one page of message, sure sound fishy to me.
  • I bought a 99 gls, my first vw and loved it until about 30k. all kinds of wierd stuff happened. 4 service trips to get my sunroof working, lights burnt out, seat springs broke off, cup holder broke, nothing major but very annoying...until now! my a/c compressor went out, so now i have a 2 year old car and the dealer wants over 1,000 bucks to fix it, doesnt seem right :( any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • gregor1022gregor1022 Posts: 10
    I recently (Feb '01) bought a new 2000 Jetta GTS 1.8T (5-speed). I love the car, but it has SO many little crappy things going wrong with it. I'll go through them in the order they have appeared:

-- An annoying, sporadic "rattling" sound coming from the right dashboard/air bag area.

-- A very loud, distinctive thumping noise coming from the rear area of the car. It sounds like someone is banging on the floorboard/trying to get out of the trunk. It usually happens when the car is not moving and is idling.

-- Now, the clutch almost feels as though it is "slipping" around 2500-3000 PM, right before I normally shift into 2nd (except when I'm driving 'enthusiastically'). It feels very shaky like I'm just learning to drive stick.

Today, I took it in to the dealership where I bought it for Service to check it out. Of course, they called and said they could not find anything wrong with it. So, I came in and drove with the technician, but he said he could not feel it when it was choppy in 1st gear. When he drove it, he let it out so slowly or not until it was past the "normal" shifting point and it did not happen. He said "Everyone drives stick differently." Well, that's a bunch of crap! And of course, it did not make the "thumping" sound while we were in the car. It did make the rattling noise, but he said he didn't know what it could be and therefore didn't know what to fix. Argh!

Bottom line is, I needed my car tomorrow so I took it back. Has anyone else experienced one or more of these problems?

This is technically my fiances car, but I have been driving it while she has been learning to drive stick. I'm getting my car back soon -- my car is a '97 Camaro. The reputation is that they are unreliable, unsofisticated cars. Well, I have not had one single thing go wrong with my Camaro in over 2 years! It may not ride as smoothly, but it has more power, handles better, costed $6,000 less, uses cheaper gas, doesn't have annoying, sometimes distressing sounds, and it's more reliable. All this, and it's 3 years older. I love the Jetta, but the problems and the dealership's attitude have soured me towards it. Maybe it'll grow on me...
  • bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    The first one is very common, though I can't for the life of me remember what it is. #2 I have also heard of mentioned here and a few other sites, but I don't remember them ever being answered, and #3 I have not heard.

If someone doesn't answer here soon (which they might...) try the forum at http://www.vwvortex.com. They have a very, VERY active forum there.

-Jim

• anyone here noticed if you drivers window is slower than the rest of the windows and went u put it down intially it makes a couple clicking sounds, anyone notcie this, anyting to be worried bout?
  • teedanteedan Posts: 2
    Re dashboard rattle and all the plastic rubbing together: what are you supposed to spray the light silicone spray on, exactly?

Thanks.
  • chrislin2chrislin2 Posts: 5
    Does a 1997 Jetta have a delayed wiper setting? I believe the off setting is all the way down and the next click up should be delay, but nothing happens on that setting.
    Also I did find out that the VW dealer will service the transmission on the Jetta for only around $50 which is probably less than AAMCO charges. Besides AAMCO said they do not work on Jetta transmissions.
    Where can I find a manual that gives information about the little things, such as wipers controls and how the trunk light works, etc.? The Chilton Manual I have is OK on tecnical stuff but does not cover the little stuff.
  • afryarafryar Posts: 50
    Has anybody had a problem with their EPC light and Check Engine light on the 2.0 liter engine? My girlfriends 2001 with the 2.0 is back in the shop for the third time in a month (the car is only a month old too...). The first time they removed and replaced the throttle body unit. the second time they "reset the light" and as she was driving it home last night after picking it up from the service department, it went on again. Dropped the car off there this morning and have already started the paperwork to declare this thing a LEMON. We are dealing with Boston VW. Any help would be appreciated.
  • heatmn5270heatmn5270 Posts: 1
    I purchased a '99 Jetty GAS and also have had some odd things happen. Of course the warranty ran out (after a year of owning the car) before these things started to fall apart. First, I noticed the reverse lights stopped working. Figured it was lamps or a fuse... NOT. Second the fuel door release stopped working, fortunately it stopped working in the open position, the door will not lock at all now. Third, the driver side window fell into the door. It has become disconnected from the rail on the rear clip (which after checking it is a small plastic piece that had broken in half) No doubt a piece that I will not be able to describe to the dealer to order. For the past 4 months the check engine light has been on. I've tuned the car, checked everything... and still the light won't go out. It is my understanding that I need to take the car to a mechanic and have them scan the module to make it go out... but experience from other 4 cyl-2.0 owners (even the 97 had this problem) it will just go back on. I was thinking of just applying a strong magnet to the module... maybe that would clear it. I'm afraid that would clear more than I wanted though and create other problems. To add to the misery.. the clear coat on the right front bumper has started to peel (I have the ever so popular silver).
    So here I have a two year old car with 40k miles that has a lot of little things wrong with it. It may sound like it has been neglected but it wasn't. It is most frustrating and I really don't feel anything but forced to return it to a Volkswagen dealer to have these things repaired... for a nice charge I'm sure.

I really do like the car...and wished it would have held up...I just don't have time for this stupid crap or the unavailable or waiting for parts. I'll have my butt in an american car again after this one.
  • bobbis1bobbis1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Jetty GAS, automatic. My car is currently in the shop for the 6th time in 7 months (I've owned it 14 months) because of the check engine light. They've changed a grocery list of things--sensors, fuses, spark plugs, s. plug wired, coil packs, and today they're telling me its a fuel injector problem. I am at my wits end. has anyone had this major of a problem with their car and how was it resolved. I have assurances from my very good dealer and VW that they're working together to deal with the problems, but I need an OVERALL fix. Is there something that others have experienced that my mechanics are missing?
  • turbogirlturbogirl Posts: 2
    I don't know anything about the other things you mentioned, but the thumping sound is normal. You probably hear it mostly at red lights shortly after you've started your car and have a full tank of gas. While I can't explain it well, I can tell you that it's something to do with your gas tank pressurizing or something like that, and it's perfectly normal for our cars.
  • geewhiz54geewhiz54 Posts: 3
    Looking for some help from fellow Jersey residents. I went to the dealer on route 46; gensinger, and was treated kind of rudely. When I questioned them on there service dept. I was told they must be doing something right...they've been in business for 50 years! Big deal!!! Then they don't have any books on the cars, they totally ignored me for 15 minutes...mind you, I was the only customer that day! Enough said, could anybody in jersey recommend a dealer worth going to, that they've had a good expierence at. thanks
  • whites1whites1 Posts: 1
    I purchased my VW from Millennium in Somerville. Ask for Gary. Very pleasant to work with.
  • i went to Jack Daniels in Fair Lawn, I'd say it is proably one of the best and most succesful VW dealers in Jersey. It also sells Audi and Porsche so you know their service departments must be on par. I was taken care of very well. I recommend talking to Luis Fernandez. Tell him Ali Shariat recommended you.
  • gperrgperr Posts: 126
    geewhiz54,

I live in South Jersey- near Philly, and I drove an hour and a half to Easton PA, right across the border from Philipsburg ,NJ to Young VW. It was the best- I mean the best experience I have ever had with getting a car. I called on the phone and did everything over the phone. I had my Jetta ordered, since, I was very specific and what I wanted was not available, and I had plenty of time- no rush. I was treated with respect and so was my fiance when we went to pick it up. I got the car for $300 over actual invoice. I did pay the port prep fee, advertising fee, and floor plan interest reserve, total was less than $300, and they are on the invoice. I dealt directly with Ted Cowel, the Sales Manager. Arranged everything and then went in once and paid and took the car. When I finally went in, Ted had me meet with a salesman- Glenn Piazza, who was also a great guy. No presuure no B.S. If you know what you want- then this is the place to deal with. If you do go- mention that Gregg & Nicole sent you.

I got a 2001 Jetta GLS VR6, 5-speed, Galactic blue/gray velour, Sport Luxury package, cold weather package, NE emissions, side curtain airbags, in-dash CD.

I am happy as a clam. The only negative thing was the long ride and when the plates and registration came in the mail, I had to spend an hour getting the car inspected, since the inspection sticker was from PA. But no problems, and they Fedex the plates and registration- so only one trip to Easton. My only regret is they are too far for me to go there for service. I will have to use a local guy for that.

Gregg
  • I HAVE A 2000 JETTA GLS. I BOUGHT THE CAR WITH 10 MILES ON IT AND EVERY MILE I DRIVE IT, THERE IS A NEW PROBLEM. I AM CURRENTLY UNDER THE "OIL CONSUMPTION TEST" BECAUSE, LIKE MANY OF YOU, I HAVE A 2.0 ENGINE AND AM HAVING PROBLEMS KEEPING OIL IN MY CAR. THE LOCAL DEALERSHIP DOESN'T BELIEVE ME THAT OIL WON'T STAY IN THE CAR, SO THEY ARE MAKING ME DO THIS STUPID TEST WHERE I HAVE TO MONITOR HOW MUCH OIL THE CAR IS USING. THEY GAVE ME SOME LINE THAT VW IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE 2.0 ENGINE AND THERE IS POSSIBLY A RECALL ISSUE THERE. THE DEALERSHIP HAS BEEN AWFUL TO ME AND HAVE CALLED ME, MY MOM, AND MY FIANCE A LIAR ON MANY OCCASIONS. THIS IS NOT THE FIRST PROBLEM I HAVE HAD WITH MY 1 1/2 YEAR OLD CAR. CAN ANYONE SAY SQUEAKY BREAKS? THE DEALERSHIP JUST TELLS ME THAT ALL JETTAS DO THAT. IT HAS DONE THAT FROM THE MINUTE I DROVE OFF THE LOT. THE LOT I BOUGHT THE CAR AT, BY THE WAY, IS NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. THEY HAVE SINCE SOLD TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP. THE CAR HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP AT LEAST 8 TIMES FOR VARIOUS THINGS. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, IT NEEDED A NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTER, BUSTED COOLANT HOSE (THE DAY AFTER I BOUGHT THE CAR), AND A SLEW OF OTHER THINGS. I AM GLAD TO KNOW OTHERS HAVE SIMILAR GRIPES TO MINE. WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT THIS? PLEASE ADVISE.
    THANKS.
  • Understanding your frustration why don't u just tell the dealer u want a new engine already... Another idea would be to trade the car in for another GLS 1.8T or a Wolfsburg edition. There are some great finance rates from VW Credit. The 1.8T engine will give u the smooth quiet powerful performance u deserve in a Jetta. Economy and reliability is superb. Also if u trade, go to a dealer that is unaware of the problems as to not jeopardize a trade in value. Obviously u got some lemon tendencies on your car. Take some action, and relax. I had a 2.0 auto Golf as a recent loaner while my 1.8T had it's 5000 mile service and the 2 engines are worlds apart. My 1.8T BTW needed no oil top up at all during the first 5K miles. I checked every 2 weeks for reference and it never even hit the low mark on the dipstick.
  • jr9881jr9881 Posts: 1
    does anyone else find the first-second gear shift tricky in the vr6 5 speed. all the other shifts are easy and very smooth. i recently drove a friend's 2001 VR6 and his clutch takeup was much smoother (especially from first to second) and the clutch communicated much better feel. I got really upset when I drove his. I am pretty sure there is a flaw in my transmission but I don't know enough about transmissions in general to guess at what the problem might be. i would appreciate any feedback on what the problem might be as well hearing if anyone else has the same problem i am having
  • jh1216jh1216 Posts: 1
    I bought my car 15 months ago from David MichaelCar of Freehold. Stay away from them they are horrible people. I also, have had nothing but big problems with my 2000 Jetta. 4 times in for the Check Engine Light. The last time I brought it in for that problem 3 sensors went bad, costing over 1,000 with labor since my car had 30,000 miles and was out of warranty. I called and complained to VW Corporate and they picked up the parts. So keep that in mind, its doesnt hurt to call the 800 number and file a complaint. Also, now my back brake, calipers and rotors all need to be replaced (35,000 miles???)...Does anyone have brake problems??? Another 1,000 dollars, what will be next?????
  • freebird2freebird2 Posts: 1
    I have owned 2 WV's since 1986 (both Golfs). I decided to grow up and trade my 96 Camaro in on a 2000 VR6 Jetta. Since I've had my VR6 (although it's fun to drive) I have had it in the shop 4 times due to the air bag light coming on, and 4 (going on 5) times for the check engine light. And during one of my many visits, the passenger side window fell into the door (I've never used that window... thought this was amusing) and now my drivers side window has become possessed, when I want to roll it up, it hits a certain point and goes back down on it's own. Now I have had several different cars from several different auto manufacturers, but I have never had the problems with a car that I've had with this one. And what is even funnier,the shop manager at the dealership thinks I'm stupid.
    Like with the engine light he asked" did you check the gas cap?" Hey 3 clicks (I can read gas cap instructions) or I got "the sensor is very sensitive." OK, sensitive or not,is that my problem, I don't think so. So we'll go for round 5 with the engine light.
    I think in the future when I get this "growing up feeling" I'll stay away from VW, Mitsubishi's are cute,but being female what do I know.
  • seanblueseanblue Posts: 17
    Hello all,

I am due for my 1st 5k oil change this week. I have heard several recommendations to using synthetic oil in the 1.8T. Is this required? What are the advantages? What brand works best?

I appreciate any feedback or reference.
  • I have a 1999 Jetta GLS-VR6. About 4 weeks ago, I took it to the dealer because my right headlight was very dim. Turns out the electrical harness ( I think that is what it's called) was fried. The dealer replaced it. About 2 weeks ago, the headlight went dim again. I took it back to the dealer. The new electrical harness was fried! They checked the light bulb this time, and found evidence that it had become very hot at some point. They replaced it along with the harness. Service manager has no idea what could be causing this problem. I suggested the possibility of a defective seal around the light allowing water to come into contact with the wiring, since both dim light episodes happened shortly after I had rinsed off my car with a garden hose. He did not think this was likely. No other problems with any lights except for the dashboard "BRAKE" light. It stayed on continuously due to a faulty switch (I think). The only other electronic device I'm having trouble with is the radio that came with the car. I'm getting lousy reception. However, I live about 20 miles away from the nearest radio station. Any ideas as to what is going on with my headlight?
  • souljasoulja Posts: 1
    I am definetly going back to Honda/Acura. I was hard headed and traded in My 98' Acura Integra GSR for a 2000 GTI VR6. Never again, the car is beautiful, and not everybody and there mama's have one. I love the interior feel and the build quality "LOOK"! Thats all it is a "LOOK". My car has 34k on it and has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks. I took it to a specialist "non-vw" he said it was running on 3 cylinders instead of 6. The car was running very sloppy like it was going to die out. He told me to take it to VW since the 5yr50k powertrain was in effect. He said it is definetly the engine "powertrain". Since it has been at VW they have been replacing every thing but the Engine, and the car is still running on 3 cylinders instead of 6. Its like trial and error. They want to replace the part and even though it dosent fix my problem they still want to charge me for the parts and labor, im like, NOT MY PROBLEM BUD. On top of that the dealerships are very rude. They act like its your fault there product is breaking down. I stopped giving them attitude because I want my car back in okay condition. Once I get it back Im going to raise hell all over the place. Even VW customer car couldnt do anything for me. If any of you have ever experience a problem where your car is lagging extremely and you know the fix for it, pls. let me know so I can call these guys and do there jobs for them. Never again VW.......