Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    but jeez, tell people something that they don't know. I never said a certain car is immune to breaking down did I? Certain cars are LESS LIKELY to break down than others though. Who brought up Mercedes? A Toyota Corolla is more reliable than a Mercedes, statistically. That doesn't mean that people haven't had a good experience with a Benz. That also doesn't mean that I would rather have a Corolla than a Benz either. It's all depends on your priorities and financial situation.
  • I'm a new member of this board and really love all ideas which posted on this and I owned a 99 1/2 new body jetta with a vr6.I just want to share some of my experiences with jetta's owners and /or with someone has had a difficult time to make up their mind rather to buy a honda, nissan or mazda or a jetta. just had my jetta for a few months and as a second owner at 30k miles when I purchase mine,id' like to do a check up and service by myself in order to have peace of mind and getting to know more about my vehicle. According to manual book,it recommends synthetic oil and high octane fuel. oil will be replace at each 10k miles interval (of course,oil filter also)and brake fluids need to be flush at 20k miles or 2 years interval.I did as the book recommended,however i got an "check engine light"came on not too long after my first oil change and brake flush at vw dealership and to solve that problem i have to spent $950.00 for diagnosis,replace O2 sensor and the aux.injector blower motor (which went bad @ 33,000 miles).after that i noticed spark plugs wires had cracked @ corner where it bent and goes down to the tips which connected to the plug (every one of them)and i had to replaced all 6 wires and plugs (manual book requires to change spark plugs @ 40k miles interval)and buying plug wires and plugs was an unique experience for me.Dealership sold me wrong wires @ first (when i said it's 99,their computer showed old parts #)and they were sold as individually wire about $21.00/ea,order only and plugs,there not a lot of vw parts people work in service knows their products well enough to sell the right part @ the first time.anyway,after replaced all those parts my vr6 runs really good,compare with honda accord and camry v6 which i had owned before about performance and acceleration,the jetta vr6 can let these japanese cars smell dust,specially at highway driving like i've been doing this everyday commuting to work,i could passed a camry,mazda or accord v6 easily (not to race but lanes changing and reach the spot i want to be)the jetta did a great job.so,it makes me think about a high performance car,it will need good cares and routine service and all the expensive fuel and fluids that can make the car always @ top performance.of course it still depend on the owner's pocket and financial situation.i love the look of the jetta,thinking about to buy a BMW for my next car but compare the expensive of routine service for a beamer and a japanese car,it's a no match whatsoever (my previous toyo camry v6 and 92 accord don't need transmission fluids,spark plugs,brakes check until they reached 60,000 miles)the beamer requires routine service about $560.00 every 18k miles.
    finally,i think each manufacture car was built for each of us depend on our tastes,our lifestyles,our financial situation and our needs (the need for transportation and the wanted for pleasure it's a totally difference world-i think ???)-THANKS to all you guys for great ideas and great diccussions and thanks to the staffs of this board-keep up the good work.
  • luckie13luckie13 Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just sold my 93 civic today and what a piece of ..... I know honda's are suppose to be reliable and blah blah, but I had to fix more things on that car in 2 years than anyone has mentioned here about their jetta's. My parents talked me into getting it (more like made me)because of "how reliable and dependable" they are, even though I really wanted a Jetta to begin with. To make it worse it was my first car, so it gave me a horrible first car experience, with a minimum wage job to finance all those repairs.

I'm not complaining though, more like celebrating that I have gotten rid of it. But now that I have a much better job I am able to afford the jetta I wanted in the first place.

So now I need to decide on what model. I have read all the problems people have experienced, but have also read all the happy Jetta owners posts too. Now I'm just confused more than I was, because although there is a risk of any car being a lemon, I'm really trying to make a good choice on this car so I don't go through hell again.

I like the '01 TDI, because of the gas mileage of course, but am not sure about the diesel engine, and what kind of repairs it may need in the future.

Any suggestions on the "best" or most dependable or most satisfied with 2001 model for me and anyone, from a current owner already.

It is very appreciated! Rachelle
  • twig93twig93 Posts: 38
    Lucky 13...if you are interested in a TDI...go for it! I have had mine since June 2000 and it is fantastic! It runs like a champ and gets 50 mpg. From what I hear, diesel engines go forever. The major expense will be the timing belt. That needs to be changed around 40,000 in the TDI. The guy who sold me my TDI said that they can't keep up with the demand for TDI now with the gas prices. VW is quite possibly building a diesel engine plant here in the US.

I have not had (knock on wood) the troubles stated on this board mechanically or otherwise. I hear a few rattles inside the car here and there.....all were taken care of...they even replaced the seatbelt because it was vibrating and making a sound when no one was in it (passenger side). The only problems unresolved right now is that my trunk lid is slow to open and my AC needed to be charged. They are watching my AC and I will go in next week to find out about my trunk lid. You have to expect small problems like this the first year or so...when a car is brand new from the factory, some things need to be ironed out as the car is used.

I owned a Ford ZX2 previously and had an oil leak that took 4 trips to the dealer to fix, an AC that smelled like vomit and cat urine every time I turned it on, windows that squeaked and barely moved, rusted alloy wheels, etc. I am now very happy with my VW and am sorry to hear about other's troubles.

If you want to hear from happy owners of TDI's go to www.tdiclub.com It is a huge website of info. on the car and engine you are interested in. Good luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,409
    newcar, I think your post implied (perhaps you didn't intend it) that the statistical gap in reliability between VWs and most other cars was MASSIVE. My and other people's response was to argue that it is probably just a few statistical clicks off the mark, and b) that you can't judge a car's reliability record from what you see here anyway. You'd need better data to reach a conclusion like that, I think.

But, I think the statisical gap between VW and Toyota is pretty large. I still wonder why Toyota has consistantly been the best as far as reliability. Do Toyota engineers eat different food? Are they aliens? What do they know that other companies don't? Why do they build boring cars with either bland or weird styling (there are a few exceptions to that rule of course). If they had nice looking, fun cars that were also reliable, they would be perfect.
    while not a pleasing to drive from an enthusiasts standpoint, a Camry V6 5sp would blow the doors off of any US spec VR6 jetta.
  • mellismellis Posts: 150
    I can tell you from personal experience that a Camry V6 5sp will NOT blow the doors off of a Jetta 1.8t with an APR chip. :)
    How can you fairly compare a modified car against a stock car? I was only pointing this out because vwdailydr2 was bragging about beating down camrys and accords in the VR6. Well, auto vs. auto and manual vs. manual, the Camry V6 is faster. We all know that chipped 1.8Ts are nothing to laugh about. But, and its a big but, a chipped 1.8T's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty coverage is questionable AND you are comparing apples to oranges. While more expensive than a chip upgrade, Toyota makes superchargers for the V6 Camrys and it keeps the warranty intact. That would significantly level the playing field if not making it unfair to the chipped 1.8T. ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,409
    Okay, this topic is supposed to be for Jettas and VWs perhaps, but we should really be taling about Japanese cars in other more suitable topics. We seem to be drifting too far from what newcomers might expect to see here.

thanks,

Mr. Shiftright
    Host

Chipping the 1.8T does not void the warranty unless the part that fails can be proven to be caused by the chip.

The 1.8T engine is used in the Audi TT at 225hp.

Mod is correct - lets stick to Jetta talk here! :)
    I know that it isn't just an electronic difference between the 225 hp TT 1.8T and the Jetta 1.8T. The 225hp Audi has a different turbo among other things. They are not the same exact engine. The 180hp Audi 1.8T and the Jetta 1.8T are the same. About the warranty thing: A VW dealer could blame just about anything powertrain related to the chip, even if it wasn't the chip that caused it. The dealer doesn't have to prove that it was caused by the chip, you have to prove that it WASN'T caused by the chip which could be almost impossible in some cases. Transmission problems? Oh, the chip made too much power causing the tooth on 3rd gear to break. Detonation problems? Oh, one of the fuel injectors went bad, causing a lean condition that lead to detonation that wouldn't have happened with a lower boost pressure. The dealer could be very slick if they wanted to. No one can tell you 100% that your warranty is safe. I talked to a bunch of dealers about this, and independent VW shops, some said "no problem" and some said "be careful". The 100,000 mile powertrain warranty is a huge selling point and although I would have loved to chip the 1.8T, the warranty coverage was too uncertain for me to mess with.
    The act that covers the warranty issue requires the dealer to PROVE that the non-OEM part caused the failure. The burden of proof is on them, not the customer. I have spoken with a friend who is a consumer lawyer and he confirms.

Your point is well taken about the dealer. Some are chip friendly, some are not. Best to check first. I think the majority of people who are doing the VW chip mod are not planning to keep the car for 100,000 miles so the powertrain warranty is not an issue. I typically keep cars for two years.

Its all about choice and what you are comfortable with. :)
  • bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    Yes. You are correct in your statment regarding the fact that it's the DEALER that has to prove fault, not the OWNER of the vehicle.
    The dealer knows much more about these kinds of mods and their mechanical consequences than I do, so it wouldn't be hard for them to "create" a burden of proof. I have read every piece of literature regarding this subject that I could get my hands on when I was thinking about chipping the 1.8T. My conclusion is that the odds are definately in favor of the dealer. Anyways, how do you like your chipped 1.8T? I was looking at the GIAC chip which produced 193 hp and 238 lbs-ft of torque which seems incredible. Does it affect the lack of turbo lag or low rpm grunt?
    I got the APR chip since it has the option to shut off the re-map via the cruise control. Nice if someone else is going to drive the car.

The Wolfsburg edition has the AWW model engine which due to some mechanical changes actual runs about 205 hp and 245 lbs-ft of torque. Low end grunt is incredible due to the torque and I notice no turbo lag. Just lots of smiles from being pressed back in the seat!
    245 lbs-ft of torque from a 1.8L. That sounds NASTY. That wolfsburg would be doing a lot of tire smokin. That does sound like a good idea with the APR chip. I would definately shut it off if anyone else had to drive it.
  • luckie13luckie13 Posts: 2
    I think the reason there are so many more posts on here than other cars is because VW owners just like to talk about their cars and brag about them compared to other cars.(I don't blame them being a hopefull Jetta owner myself soon) I doubt if even half the posts are about their problems.
  • Hi guys,sorry about my post made you guys upset when compare my VR6 jetta with camry and accord V6.In fact I do love my previous camry and accord about their performance and low maintenance cost,my point was the jetta really impressed me about it's acceleration compare with camry and accord which i'd been driven before,even my brother's acura CL with a 3.0 engine still not provide impressively acceleration or able to make a quick past on freeway (I repeat here one more time that it's not about racing or talk down Japanese car but only expressing my feeling about small German car but made in US-toyo and honda now are came from US also)and even though the jetta will cost me a little more for routine service compare with my previous camry and accord,I still enjoy driving it everyday and mine still stock(not tuned)except a set of 17" wheels because my stock 15" michellin need to retire.Also mine is an auto,i think i should by a 5sp or tiptronic next time.any input from you guys between the choice of 5sp and auto.thank you all.
  • tgunnocstgunnocs Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 VW Jetta GLS. Its a nice car, but the cost of ownership downright sucks. I will have owned this car for two years as of this upcoming August. I currently have 46000 miles. I drive about 30K a year so needless to say I spend a lot of time in a car. I have religiously taken this car to VW for service. At any rate, I had the 40K mile service performed at the end of March to the tune of close to $500.00. That would have been fine had that been the only service I needed. The very next day after the 40K service, I am pulled over for having a tail light out. Maybe it was coincidental that the light went out the very next day after service. At any rate, I replaced the tailights and was on my way.....for about another week, until the the check engine light came on when I was out of town for a weekend. I called every VW dealer in Detroit at about 2:00 PM on a Friday to see if they could fit me in and just check it to see if what was up. Not ONE could get me in and NOT ONE was open on Saturday either. When I finally got back to Cleveland, I took it to my dealer and was told that they were having problems with the gas up here and that they were going through sensors. He asked if the check engine light came on right after I got gas (which it had) and not to worry about it. So I didn't. At any rate, the light goes back out. For the next couple weeks, every so often when I got gas, the light would come on. Next thing I know the engine starts dropping RPMS and the car is shuddering. I quickly take it in (now I am at its 45000 mile service). Now they tell me I need to have three different sensors replaced (not covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty) to the tune of 900 bucks. So in two months, I have spent 1400 dollars. Needless to say I am pretty hot about this. If I wanted to spend a 100 bucks or more per month for a car, I would be. At any rate, I go to pick up the car, andI haven't driven more than five miles, and the check engine light comes on flashing. The engine starts stalling. I have to have it towed to the dealer! I guess they had to clean the spark plugs, replace some cables. (Finally i didn't have to pay for soemthing). At this point, I am not sure I would recommend a Jetta. The cost of ownership is very high. The service sucks. The dealerships hours suck. The service departments seem to be incompetent. Only one dealer in all of Greater Cleveland is open on a Saturday. If you have a nine to five job, good luck getting service. The worse part of this all, is that when the car is running right, I love it. I am just not sure its worth all the hassles.