Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    Okay. Here's my list:

Third brake light dimmer than normal. Replaced at 5K service.

That's it.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • smitpatsmitpat Posts: 13
    Okay here's my list:

-Window went halfway up and back down again with one-touch. Dealer told me to get it right in so they could replace the regulator before the window crashed down. They smoothed out some weatherstripping while it was in. Same day delivery under warranty. Me happy with dealer.
  • mellismellis Posts: 150
    Here's my list:

Occasional rattle in sunroof cover.

That's it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    30K on tires shouldn't be on your complaint list...that's normal wear, or at least within the normal range.

I think Jettas ARE a lot more fun to drive than most Japanese cars, and personally, I would put up with a few warranty glitches in order to have the driving qualities of a German car. But I can understand totally if some people are not willing to make this type of trade-off.

• flacaflaca Posts: 168
    my 97 camry had to have it's first set of tires changed at 18K. Now, that's bad. Two more sets within 46K.
  • fuzzofuzzo Posts: 88
    Hi All,
    I have been skimming some of the posts in here for a friend who is interested in buying a Jetta.

I am not too familiar with the Jetta but is 2000 when the new body style came out. The reason I am asking this is because I have noticed a trend in german cars. They tend to have a lot more bugs in their first year than Japanese cars.

Are most of these problems covered that people are having covered by the warranty? and how long is the warranty for

Please excuse my ignorance in this.....
    The new styling actually came out very late in the 1999 car year. I don't know exactly what month. Bug and glitches are pretty much the norm for any new model. Consumer-type publications always tell you to stay away from the first year of any new model.

-Jim
  • ewhipewhip Posts: 6
    Please note that my post stated that I like my Jetta and that I am a VW fan. It was a listing of maintenance issues for people's information and comparison with their current vehicles. It is not a "complaint list." Thanks. Have a good day. Happy VW Driving.....
    No problem ewhip and I did notice your comment in your original post that you were not posting a complaint list. It's just that there's some non VW owners in here as of late slamming Jettas and their 'problems' and they don't even own one. Weird.

So, it just serves notice that not every single Jetta owner gets to know their service department on a first name basis due to warranty issues.
  • ewhipewhip Posts: 6
    Yep, still love my Jetta anyway - the guys at the CARWASH and I are on a first name basis!! 8^)
    As it should be, ewhip. As it should be. :))
  • yettibuttyettibutt Posts: 98
    Can someone please help me, I have a 2000 Jetta GL with 30K miles on it. The tires started becoming VERY loud on the highway a while back and I did'nt think much of it. I took it in today for 30K service and had the dealer look at them. From what I have read (and spoke to a Goodyear Rep on the phone), the tires (Eagle LS) on this car can wear irregular and cause this noise. I have rotated them every 10K since we bought it new. The dealer says my tires are worn on the inside or "cupped" severely and that the recall tires wore in the center of the tread. Obviously, I think this is total horse poop. Does anyone here have this problem and if so, did your tires wear on the center of the tread or the inside??? I am writing Goodyear a nastygram as well as the dealer. I am tempted to have a 4 wheel alignment done, if it comes up bad, well Ill eat a new set of tires, but, if it comes out within spec, Im want some new tires! Please help with your responses! Email me at Akarst@hgl.com if you want.

Thanks
    Have your dealer show you the TSB on the Goodyears because I am pretty sure that the recall was concerning inner tire wear and cupping: Exactly as you describe your tires.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • It's odd to me that some of the Jetta owners are attacking people who state their troubles they've had with their Jetta. If you noticed the title of this message board, its called VW PROBLEMS!! If you want to brag about your car, GREAT!I didn't come to this site to read how great the car looks...I KNOW it's appealing to the eyes! I don't own one yet...and am considering buying one and frankly, I'm pleased with the honesty in all of these testimonials. I've visited the board with the good comments too...but it's the BAD things about the car that will, overall, help me make my final choice. I'm interested in how much money it will cost me in the long run to maintain my investment after the warrenty expires. It bothers me that my 10/100 warrenty covers NONE of these problems discussed here. How convenient for the VW dealers! The Jetta is a beautiful car...and believe me I drool with envy when one drives by me. I can spot one coming a mile away!!! Unfortunatly, these "minor" problems are too rich for me and my checkbook. I spoke to a former VW dealer yesterday, and he told me good and bad about the two cars I'm considering. I hadn't been to this site yet....and he mentioned that the electical problems will drain me with the Jetta. I think that "falling window" problem falls in that catagory. (no pun inteneded) And, a co-worker of my husbands bought a 99 Jetta a few months ago and his has been in the shop for...you guessed it..electical troubles. I'm still researching ...and still love the Jetta...but I'm leaning towards the other choice. I'm sure I'll get tons of negative feed-back on this post from a Jetta lover..and sorry if it offends you that people with troubles post on the PROBLEM board...but to you who do post here...THANKS for the help!!!!
  • The 2002 models will have a 4y/50000m B-2-B; & the powertrain will have a 5y/60000m warranty. Maintenance for free during B2B will be dropped. As far as an '01 model if u decide, then enjoy the 10/100K and extend the 2/24 for B2B piece of mind. I just purchased VW masterguard Platinum ext warr on my 01 1.8T GLS for 5y/72K miles. This covers the whole period of time that I make payments. I have 6500 miles now with no complaints. Any minor concerns were handled @ my 5K mile service...
  • Thanks for the imput BalticJetta!! I'll keep it in mind! I'm just dreading the whole "car buying ordeal"....at any dealership!!
    When you go to buy your car, go armed with data and prices from sites such as Edmunds. Go there and you tell them what you are going to pay for a car. Go there pre-approved and then there's no room for BS and you should be able to complete the purchase and be off the lot in less than 90 minutes. That's what I did. Works like a charm.

Try buying on the Net too. Keeps you out of that showroom atmosphere and in your own environment. With all the tools we now have available, there is no reason that you cannot buy any car at your price in less than 90 minutes.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    For those considering purchase of Jetta or other VW.
    The warranty for 2002 will be 4yr/50K miles b2b and 5yr/60K powertrain. No free maintenance.
    People concerned about the small items should like the new warranty.
  • sprouty1sprouty1 Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 GLX VR6 and when I just took it in for the 5K service I saw the pamphlet on the Platinum extended warrantee plan. It's appealing to me because it is offered by VW and not some aftermarket company. Could you tell us what it cost you if you don't mind? Was the price negotiable? Thanks!
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    Prices are always negotiable at the dealer