Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    I thought this was a family chat room!

(#2353)

;-)
  • target3target3 Posts: 155
    I have a 2002 1.8T Manual with almost 10,000 miles on it. I love the car - absolutely no problems.

Yes, the manual says premium fuel (i.e. 91 octane or higher) recommended. That is all I use.

As far as a remote starter goes, I would not get one. Yes, you should drive the car and take it easy until it warms up before you give 'er. However, I have also heard that to just start the car and let it idle can also cause problems. Who knows?

• htjhtj Posts: 1
    Most people will be driving at least one car at any one time over their active adult lifetime. That car can either be owned (financed or purchased for cash) or leased. The only difference is the name on the title. You still pay for the same depreciation, financing cost, gas, service, maintenance, etc, whichever mode of "ownership" you choose. The only difference is by the time you can not drive anymore at say 85 years old, you have a car to trade-in (if you have always owned) or not (if you have always leased). At this point in my life I don't care about having a $5,000 trade-in when I'm 85.
    So I always lease a car because I'd rather have somebody else worryng about trade-ins etc every time I want a new car to replace an old one.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    In Philly, it doesn't get cold enough to need a remote starter. I'm in Minneapolis and I don't have one. Having a turbo shouldn't matter. If anything, a turbocharged engine heats up faster. I'd let it warm up for maybe 30 seconds--if it's really cold. Let the RPMs drop a couple hundred and start driving. Use a good synthetic and drive it nice until the temp gauge is where it's supposed to be and your car will love you.
  • can anyone tell me if the 2.0 in a friends 96 jetta is an interference engine and when the belt should be changed
  • I have to agree with newcar31. Turbo cars do not need any more warm up time than naturally aspirated cars. And they probably DO warm up faster. I once read in a book called "Drive it Forever" that an engine should not be excessively idled after start up. It's hard on the piston rings (hard to pump cold oil into such tight tolerances) and with VWs (which are all overhead cam engines) it's very hard on the valve train and cam lobes. Especially as the car gets older. I'm sure this especially true of a turbo engine.
    I personally recommend letting an engine idle 30 seconds for every ten degrees below 32 degrees F. I have done this religiously since I got into working on cars as a hobby and found it to be a good rule of thumb. So if it's 10 degrees out your best bet would be to let it idle for minimum of a full minute before moving the car.
    The book also said that an engine warms faster (obviously) while moving but it also gives the benefit of full oil pressure to all areas of the engine. This has always made sense to me. Plus it warms the wheel bearings, transmission fluid and gets the thermostat open sooner so you get warmer faster. : )
    As far as letting a turbo "cool down" is concerned, at this late date with turbo technology being what it is I would not treat the car any differently than a naturally aspirated car UNLESS I was just out driving the you know what out of it. Then yes, I would give the turbo a few minutes of idle in the garage before shutting it down. Turbos at full boost spin in the neighborhood of 80,000 rpm to 180,000 rpm for some small frame units and yes they generate LOTS of heat. A cool down period would do it right if you are prone to running it hard. Of course a turbo timer would never HURT your car and if I were to buy turbo car I'd put one in. Also, like newcar31 said, use a synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is always my choice.
    Finally, I have a 2001 VR6 Jetta with 28K on it with no major problems. No window issues, no rattles, no check engine light etc. The rear brakes are wearing a bit fast and the manual tranny synchros are annoying at best. But the car has never left me sitting ANYWHERE. In fact, overall I love my car. So to come on a forum about Jetta problems and ask if you should get one is really putting yourself into a biased inquisition. The fact is, ANYONE can get a lemon. As a number of people on this forum can attest to. But I also had a 2000 VR6 GLS with ZERO problems to 17K when it was wrecked. So my advice to you is to jump off that fence and go buy a Jetta. Also, get one with the 17 inch wheel package and "sport" suspension. You'll be glad you did.
  • Thanks to everyone for their input on the Jetta. I actually decided to get a 2003 turbo with the sport package. I love it! Knock on wood, I don't have any probs. I'll prob end up crashing before the car crashes on me! I think I may get the remote just for convenience. About how much more are the oil changes on the T than regular cars? And would you get it changed every 3,000 k? I have been with my other cars.
    I usually let the car warm up for 5 or 10 minutes while I have breakfast. The car is nice and toasty and the windshield is clean by then.

I wonder if I need to rethink that.

???
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    You all know it's actually better for the car to warm up slowly while DRIVING rather than letting the car sit and warm up. It is really never good for a car to sit and idle. I have read that in several of my car magazines. I doubt it will ruin your car, but from what i've heard its better to drive it lightly when warming up the car.
    ...but it sure is nice having a melted windshield and warm interior!
  • I hate my 1996 Jetta, I'm in for the fourth time this year for sensors and engine light problems. Right now I'm in the shop because it needs TWO sensors, the O2 sensor and the speed sensor. I hate this car. Anyone else having VW sensor problems?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    "About how much more are the oil changes on the T than regular cars?"

Shouldn't be anymore than the 2.0L Jetta. They both have the same oil filter, but the 1.8T requires a little more oil. Synthetic, if you choose it, is more money too.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They are the same as the 2.0 unless you get synthetic. And it's changed ever 5K miles, per VW.
    I let my car sit about 90 seconds before taking off, just enough time to wait for the RPMs to drop to their normal level. The warming of the interior doesn't bother me as much, as I have the heated seats and it keeps me warm and toasty until I can turn the heater on. Also, no ice on the windshield for me usually either.

It's bad for the car, your wallet, and the environment to let a car idle for 10=15 mins. a day! You realize how much that car's polluting the air and wasting gas, just sitting there? Think of it this way, the whole time you are sitting still, you are getting 0mpg.
    The VW surely is going to be more expensive to work on. Hondas seem to be historically more reliable than Hondas as well, but that depends on personal experiences.
  • flacaflaca Posts: 168
    Still waiting for my car....Now the second dealer is playing with the transmission computer BEFORE they change the actual transmission. It is now 35 days without my Jetta (this includes first and second dealership). First dealership said the car had a bad speed sensor - changed it and then put back the old sensor when the ck engine light still popped up. What a horrid mess. I just think they are experimenting and moving wires around that keep messing up other wires. Like I said eariler my transmission was perfectly fine before the First dealership starting fooling around with the sensors. I hate sensors and their darn sensitivity.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    anyone know where to purchase the tool for screw in the pistons in the brake caliper?

So far:
    Impex $90
    Snap-On kit: $130
  • I usually let the car warm up for 5 or 10 minutes while I have breakfast. The car is nice and toasty and the windshield is clean by then.

???

You'll rethink that when you come out one day and your car is gone!

: O
  • I usually let the car warm up for 5 or 10 minutes while I have breakfast. The car is nice and toasty and the windshield is clean by then.

???

You'll rethink that when you come out one day and you car is gone! : O
    Where is my car going to go? They don't suddenly drop into gear like the Audi's, do they?

?????
    Check out Vortex for more info. You might be able to get one cheaper there.
  • Thanks for enlightening anonymous02. Yes, in fact they DO jump into gear. After someone has jumped into the car. It's a common problem with most decent makes of vehicles. Yes it seems as if most of the manufacturers have issued a recall on the owners of these vehicles. Apparently there is a defect in their common sense sensors. Maybe they should rename this forum: Jetta problems with Jetta owners.

This is not meant to start a flame war. It was all in jest. So please forgive me...I couldn't help it. :)
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I'm in the vortex...the G4/J4 folks aren't always helpful.

I'm getting mine from TDIclub.
    I have no problems leaving my car running when I'm in the house. Heck, I leave it running when I'm in the post office or store sometimes.

I guess you city slickers have a different outlook on life!
  • target3target3 Posts: 155
    and for others paying insurance, I hope that your insurance pays nothing if your vehicle is stolen because you leave it running.
    You are pretty lucky then. I live in MD, and if you did that here, you wouldn't have a car when you came out from the store.
  • flacaflaca Posts: 168
    Finally, after over 35 days and two dealerships later, I am driving my Jetta again. What they fixed: replaced shorted LDP pump, canister and valve, replaced evap purge valve, replaced leak diagnosis pump and replaced transmission. All covered under warranty!
    On Monday, I will be going to first dealership to complain to them about not fixing my car and try to get back the rental charges they made me pay. Goes to proof, you must shop around and get second or third opinions whenever possible. I hope the car remains in good shape and that the check engine light remains off.
    Happy Holidays to all!
    You should have gotten a loaner when your car was in the shop overnight anyway. I would go to the first dealer, but I would call VWoA first about your situation.