Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Extended Warranty

pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
I am in trying to find out if Audi offers its own extended warranty. I have read a press release somewhere they made an agreement about 2003 with the JM&A group. My local dealer (Checkered Flag Audi in Virginia Beach, VA) only offers extended warranties through them, as do all the local Checkered Flag dealerships in other brands. I have the feeling this is more because of greater profits for them than better service for the customers, but I'm kind of cynical that way. One message I took from the extended warranties discussions on Edmunds a year or two ago was to avoid third-party warranties if at all possible, due to problems with getting repairs approved, and finding places that would accept the warranties, whereas all brand dealerships would/have to accept their own brand's warranty.

UPDATE: I called the number for Audi Premium Protection (877-800-0286) as listed on Audi's website (under Contact Us), and the gentleman who answered to give information said in fact that the program labled APP was in fact supplied and administered by the JM&A Group. He was, he said, an employee of JM&A, and not Audi.

Comments

• guzzler4guzzler4 Member Posts: 3
    Be very careful about purchasing an extended warranty. I did so with 43,000 miles on my 2001 A8L, and had the expectation that since the car not sold until January, 2002, the "7 year, 100,000 mile" would give me protection until Jan. 2009. Since I did not thoroughly read the contract (it was the "Platinum" variety), there was a clause that stated if a car had more than 6,000 miles on it, the warranty period commenced on "January 1st of the model year"! This means the 7 years started on Jan. 1, 2001 and expires Dec. 31, 2007. Thus, I paid $2,795 for a little more than 2 years of coverage, and have been lost a year of protection.
    Also, make sure that the warranty company is solid financially. For instance a friend of mine with a 2001 Passat bought an extended warranty supplement, but the company just filed for bankruptcy.

Caveat Emptor!
    Guzzler 4
  • michmportmichmport Member Posts: 10
    This forum was helpful in my recent purchase of an Audi A8L.

The car currently has 45,500 miles on it. I purchased it for $32,000.

The dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty for $4988\ 4 yrs or 50K additional miles.

does it make any sense to buy the warranty or should I just invest the money and pay for the repairs myself. Does anyone have any major repairs on the Audi they could share.

Has anyone had any major repairs to discuss and help me make the decision.

Miquel-chicago
  • audi_gaudi_g Member Posts: 3
    After a terrible accident about 1 month ago I decided to purchased my daughter in college a safer car, and choose the 2004 Audi A4 w/74K . Since about a week after the purchase she has constantly been complaining about an extremely long hesitation (CVS considered) when placing the vehicle in reverse. Finally I had her take it to the audi dealer, and was told after inspection that the gear shift control unit ($1700 part + $300 labor) and the throttle body assembly ($600 part + 120 labor) needed replacing. I think this is a bit odd for those parts to need replacement within 74K miles, not to mention the expense. Has anyone else experienced similar transmission problems?
  • pranharanpranharan Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Audi A4 at 42K miles had the same problem. I had the gear indicator PRNDL flashing and engine check light came on. When I called dealer, he was quite aware of this and was pretty sure that the transmission control module was the problem. Fortunately, I still had the warranty and it did not cost me anything. This may be a recurring theme. You can call Audi marketing directly and complain. May be they will cover some of the cost. If you may reall, many years back, Audi practically disappeared from the US market due to transmission problem in putting in reverse.
    Our dealer didn't seem surprised about this issue either. I'll bet these are not the only two cases where this has happened. $2700 is a lot of money to pay for a "known" faulty part. If it is a known problem, I think Audi should do a recall and fix the problem at no-charge to the vehicle owner!
    Do you know where I can find the number for Audi Marketing?
  • kmsst65kmsst65 Member Posts: 2
    In 2006, I purchased a certified pre-owned 2004 Audi A6 with 42,000 miles. The car has been good to me despite the bad reviews. Like a good car owner, I stay current on the scheduled maintenance that the dealer advised per 50k miles, 75k miles, etc. The car now has 84k miles. During my 75K maintenance, the dealer recommended that I replace the timing belt ($2500) at some point. Then my check engine light came on and wouldn't go out. So, I took the car in for a diagnostic exam and the dealer informed me that if the check engine light keeps coming back on then, the car will have to have the catalytic converter ($1460) replaced.

I have heard that the dealer charges more for service and maintenance than other mechanics, so I am hesitant to just go along with what they are telling me... Just because things seem warn doesn't mean, in my opinion, that they need replacing. I am aware that the maintenance on such a car was expensive but I want to know:

1) What should I do to get a second opinion on the costs of the timing belt and catalytic converter? Can another mechanic see when I will need these items replaced? And do I really need a new timing belt since it seems to be a big ticket item?

2) Does the Audi Extended Warranty coverage "cover" the timing belt and catalytic converter?

3) Is extended warranty insurance a hoax? Does it help or hinder?

4) Has anyone ever experienced what I have mentioned above?
  • kmsst65kmsst65 Member Posts: 2
    When I purchased my vehicle, I utilized the Onstar service. The car is a 2004 and does operate on an Analog system and now, everything is Digital. Is there a way to update your vehicle to digital? Or is it a lost cause?
  • theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 29
    kmsst65, there is not a lot of posts on this board, so you may not get the answers you are looking for. You might want to look at Audiworld to post some of these questions. That being said, I don't believe anyone will sell you an extended warranty with the mileage you already have. If they did, it would probably be at a very unreasonable cost. Usually best warranty pricing is made when the car has less than 50K miles.

Even if you did have a warranty, the time belt would not be covered. It is an item of wear, like tires, and is on your own nickel. FYI, that is supposed to be changed at 75K miles, so if you are at 84K miles I would seriously consider changing it. I personally would not do it at an Audi dealer as their prices are crazy. I just had my last free service done yesterday at 45K miles, but I already have been looking for indi garages to do my 55K, 65K, 75K, etc services.
  • theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 29
    kmsst65, there is not a lot of posts on this board, so you may not get the answers you are looking for. You might want to look at Audiworld to post some of these questions. That being said, I don't believe anyone will sell you an extended warranty with the mileage you already have. If they did, it would probably be at a very unreasonable cost. Usually best warranty pricing is made when the car has less than 50K miles.

Even if you did have a warranty, the time belt would not be covered. It is an item of wear, like tires, and is on your own nickel. FYI, that is supposed to be changed at 75K miles, so if you are at 84K miles I would seriously consider changing it. I personally would not do it at an Audi dealer as their prices are crazy. I just had my last free service done yesterday at 45K miles, but I already have been looking for indi garages to do my 55K, 65K, 75K, etc services.
  • luvtoski826luvtoski826 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please provide advice on whether or not it makes sense to purchase a 3yr./36,000 mile extended warranty for $2,300? Must make decision quickly!
    Thanks! :)
  • raglawraglaw Member Posts: 3
    Be careful that the extended warranty of three years applies at the expiration of your original warranty. In July 2005 I bought Audi six year extended warranty for my 2002 Audi A6 2.6T and after the purchase was informed that the six year period ran from the January of the model year, ie January 1, 2002. The extended warranty expired on Dec 31, 2007. I sued.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I'm contemplating an Audi due to new dealer close by, but am worried about their bad reported reliability and the apparent absence of any extended warranty actually backed by Audi.

Simply: Does Audi offer a factory-backed extended warranty for their new cars?

By comparison, my Subaru has a gold plan that is sponsored by Subaru itself, and while it doesn't cover everything, it is reasonably thorough for its price, and I know Subaru itself, not some mysterious "insurance company" is backing it.
  • raglawraglaw Member Posts: 3
    The Audi extended warranty is administered by a third party. Audi insists it did not contract with me but with this third party. I bought the most expensive Platinum coverage. The Brochure (changed as of Jan 2007) represented coverage for wear and tear. In fact there is no coverage for wear and tear coverage after 50,000 miles (the original factory coverage). From 51,000 to 87,000 I incurred about $11,000 of repairs for parts and components that wore out with normal driving. I sued and am waiting for a judge's decision after trial. Richard Goren, Newton Ma
  • mibnymibny Member Posts: 14
    Hey guys ... I have heard horror stories about these vehicles once the warranty has expired. Are they true ?