Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Paint Problems

Comments

• monkymonky Posts: 16
    poocat,

Can you post a pic of your 06 Ody that would show the paint issue you describe? This paint issue really concerns me now.

Thanks
  • I was just about to start getting estimates to repaint our Odyssey when I decided to search the Internet to see if this might be more widespread - I'm sure glad I did. Our van has a growing spot at the front of the hood about 6"x2" and another spot just below the glass on the passenger sliding door that's about 10" long. I've searched, but has anyone found a TSB or memo from Honda addressing this issue? And from experience, should I start out at the dealership or contact Honda directly?
  • poocatpoocat Posts: 35
    I went out today and took some pictures of the van. I tried but I don't have a clue on how to post them for you.
    Hi, I am new to this site so not too familar with how to posts pics. I believe each of us has a page for each member where you can place a pic in a photo album. Perhaps try there.

I really appreciate this as I am going to buying one soon (silver) so I want to make sure that I look carefully to ensure the car I buy does not have the paint issue.

Thanks!">
  • poocatpoocat Posts: 35
    See if you can PM me an email address and I'll send them to you.
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    It is critical to view the paint in different lighting conditions as they have a tremendous affect on finish appearance.

One side of my rear bumper was horribly mismatched from the factory - but you can only see the problem in bright sunshine.
  • ksm11ksm11 Posts: 4
    You hit it right on the button on this one. When we bought our van we didn't notice any problem with the paint for almost a year. We thought it was perfect. In the summertime when I stopped for gas one evening, the sun was shining directly on the side of the van. I came out of the gas station and walked towards the front of the van and noticed all these dark spots/blotches all over the side. I couldn't believe what I saw and checked it out for about 10 minutes. I was pretty choked that the paint was so lousy for a Honda product. A customer saw me checking out the van at different angles and came up to me and said "I see you noticed the blotching in your paint also, my wife's is silver and is just as bad". We talked for about 1/2hr and we were both really pis...ed off. Bottom line is that when it's overcast outside you will NOT notice anything at all, everything looks as normal as can be. BUT, when the sun hits it just right and you view it at the right angle you will see that it's just awful. Next time you see a '05+ silver or gold Odyssey on the road drive up beside it, stay a few feet back and you will see what I mean.
    I can't even figure out how to PM on this board. This is the first time I encountered this on a board.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to PM or post pics here?
    I will have to definetly look carefully on a sunny day. Is your Ody a silver as well or gold? Weird that I have not seen this on the Odyclub forums. I hope it is not a common thing and that it is fixed for 08. I would be very upset like you.
  • ksm11ksm11 Posts: 4
    Ours is gold. On Odyclub type in Paint Issues in Search and there are tons of threads about paint problems.
    Oh, it's not just silver and gold that can have problems. My Touring is dark blue and the mismatched bumper section appears purplish in bright sunshine.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Button of My CarSpace on top of the page
    Each member should have its own page to post on picture album there. After you uploaded the photos, find the URL address, then you post the link here.
    Poocat, have you been able to post up on your web page yet? Still very interested in seeing some pics.

Thanks
  • llgentryllgentry Posts: 3
    Poocat, I forgot to mention in my follow up post that my van is the midnight pearl blue and the paint was actually chipping off of the van so I'm not having the same problem as the silver paint van owners.

I owned a silver Toyota Celica years ago and I had a similar paint issue that you seem to be experiencing so maybe it is just a silver vehicle issue.
  • reemereeme Posts: 1
    Wiregiant,
    Were you able to get Honda to help you? My pilot is just 10 months old and has 2 (mysterious) chips on the top of the hood toward the windshield. One started to rust. No dings or dents from rocks, but the service manager said "It was probably a 'small' stone". I said the same thing -- had a car 15 years old with many dings and dents but no rust.
    Ree
  • Our 2004 Midnight Blue Odyssey had a large (5"x10") spot on the hood where the paint had flaked off and another on the passenger sliding door nearly as large. Brought it by the Service Manager at Honda Cars of McKinney (TX) and he kept the car, gave us a free loaner. A week and a half later called and said that Honda agreed to repaint the affected areas for a $100 deductible. Two weeks later we picked up our van. The repainted body parts were good as new. No fussing or fighting (although I was prepared to do so). I'm frustrated that this happened to begin with but my dealer did everything they could to make it right.
  • je11634je11634 Posts: 4
    *********** ATTENTION ALL *********
    I also had a problem with the paint peeling off the hood and roof of my Oddyssey. When I took it to the dealership about 4 months ago, they said it was not under warrrenty and they would not cover it.
    YESTURDAY, I recieved a notice from Honda in the mail stating that this is a known problem for the Midnight Blue Oddyseys, and that if I take it to the dealership, they will fix the issue. They extended the paint warrenty to 7 years, 70,000 miles due to this issue.
    If you are having this problem, take it back to your dealership. If you already paid to have the problem fixed, contact your dealereship to find out how to get Honda to reimburse you. (not sure how much they will reimburse, but anything is better than nothing.)
    What year is your Ody? I know Honda's paints are not that good. I heard some say it is b/c they went with a more enviro friendly paint.
    Received the same notice today. It covers only '03 to '05 Odysseys with Midnight Blue Pearl paint and extends the paint warranty only on the horitzontal surfaces.
  • Today, we looked at our Ody in the sunlight. We have Nimbus Grey. My wife found a white cloud in the right hand piller, down by where it meets the hood. We called American Honda about it, there reply was, you have to go thru the dealer. More or less, they said we were stuck with it. They said it would have to be inspected and it determined it was a manufacture defect, they would possibly repaint it. My wife is totally pissed. The car has only 628 miles on it.

Anyone have any suggestions????

joe