Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Houses cost too much!

123457»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,887
    edited December 2013

Parental financing, lucky! Most don't have it so good ;)

FL has cheap housing, but much of the state is kind of a pit. Although I kind of like the area from Daytona Beach northward. From what I can tell, the wage sacrifice, esp when benefits are included, is more than the low cost of living, especially for a single person. If my job was moved to a low cost area and my salary remained the same, it would be cool - but it seldom works that way. No place is perfect, so I'd rather live in a place where I have a little spending money and can put something away for tomorrow at the same time.

Somewhat on topic, I find section 8 abuses objectionable, just as I do undeserved mortgage interest deductions. I don't know if any other nation has such a system.

@gagrice said: One time many years ago I considered a job offer in Ocala Florida. I was sent to school for 2 months and really liked central FL. Cost of living was far less than most places I like. I would have made about 2/3rds what I was making in Alaska. But lived a lot less expensive. In retrospect not taking the job paid off. That company got bought out and downsized. I would have a lot less in my pension. My advice is to go where you can make the most money and save, save, save, because one day you will be glad you did.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678

That may work if you have skills that are needed everywhere. Where would you go if you were a lug nut assembler in the UAW? Then there are people that will not move from where they are no matter what they have to do to survive in that location. Only place I can think of worth doing that would be Hawaii.

@fintail said:

** FL has cheap housing, but much of the state is kind of a pit. Although I kind of like the area from Daytona Beach northward. **

Florida is a very mixed bag. I have gone to 4 telecommunications schools in FL. 3 in Lake Mary Central and one in Sarasota. I also spent some vacation time all along the Keys. Some of the Keys are great weather. Kind of expensive housing. I would have to spend extensive time looking around before I bought anything there. Big problem is insurance. My tax man moved back to San Diego after 6 years in The Villages retirement area. Got tired of playing golf every day and all the family was still here in San Diego. They did ok buying while the prices were depressed in 2008.

http://www.thevillages.com/index.htm

You can no doubt buy a few nice houses in central FL for what your CA place is worth - but then you have a few nice places in an area that might not be as pleasant.
    I think many places there are still depressed - they overbuilt, and wages aren't great. Kind of the same issue in the southeast, I think.

@gagrice said: http://www.thevillages.com/index.htm

Just to keep you all up to date on San Diego real estate. It is headed to the sky again. Here is home across from a factory with a view of Interstate 5 a block away. It is the worst part of San Diego for crime. And they go up from here as you move downtown.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/141-19th-St-San-Diego-CA-92102/17068520_zpid/

edited February 11

Sounds like Bellevue (which has a fraction of the population)

Here's a typical condo in my neighborhood

A LOT of these have sold to sketchy offshore parties, looking to buy residency and play the speculation game. It's funny seeing these supposedly 95% sold highrises at night, where 70% of the windows are dark.

Here's a typical 1960s west Bellevue subdivision house - look at the 1991 price, many young people are pretty bitter about this trend. Many boomers who were nothing but lucky now act like they are the second coming of Warren Buffett because they are house-rich.

Your prices have mine beat by quite a bit. I would be tickled to get $900k for my place. Mine is a ranch that is bigger and much newer. Plus a view of about 270 degrees and an acre of land. I remember looking at places in Portland and thought they were over priced as well.

Here the boomer is only paying taxes on the price paid with minimal increases allowed (Prop 13). A house bought 30 years ago for $100k worth $700k today, the owner still paying taxes on that original purchase price. My neighbor pays less than $2000 per year on a comparable sized home to mine. I just got my tax bill for $6500. About time to sell and move.

This will go at auction for about $800k

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15596-Sleepy-Creek-Rd-El-Cajon-CA-92021/16897469_zpid/

This will not sell until summer is my guess. I think you get a lot more house for the money here than the NW.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9633-Red-Pony-Ln-El-Cajon-CA-92021/16896412_zpid/

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    edited February 11

Our property taxes run around $700 a year; be hard to stomach the numbers in the recent examples. Wonder if two feet of snow in the yard and below 20° highs for two months has anything to do with that. Or maybe it's the paucity of jobs. Living in a van down by the river keeps sounding better and better. :)

No tax rules like that here, property taxes aren't low. and the condo HOAs can be insane, a decent car payment. This area is inflated by a core of high paying jobs, offshore wealth, and a shortage of land. Doting helicopter parents don't hurt either - I don't know anyone my age who owns a house and didn't at least receive significant down payment help, if not more. Not to mention, I think today, people are more willing to devote a higher percentage of household income to mortgage. I can't believe banks let it happen.

I don't like those early 00s style mcmansions, kind of vulgar, and often shoddy. The second house there looks better, but still too big for my tastes - I don't want to cool, heat, and clean something so big, and if I have land, I will just start accumulating parts cars - not good B)

I had my eye on this thing, which sold recently - neat old house, not ostentatious, good area. I hope it isn't a teardown. Street View

Looking at the 2007 price makes me laugh a little, while the 1996 price makes me cringe.

That is a cute little house. The only thing keeping it from being torn down is the lot has no waterfront or view. Crazy prices. Not my cup of tea for sure. I want at least an acre with waterfront or preferably my own lake for irrigation water and fishing. Nothing like that really available on the West coast for a reasonable price. Not to mention the ocean fish are all suspect since Fukishima.

West coast housing prices might go up no questions asked, of course, good place to hide that dirty money

@fintail said: West coast housing prices might go up no questions asked, of course, good place to hide that dirty money

I didn't know that was going on. Sounds like Australia is the smartest of the countries. My old gardener must not have scraped together the $1000 he needed to get his Green Card renewed. Haven't seen him for several years. Last I saw him he borrowed some money from me to get it renewed. So you can buy your way into all these countries. Money talks and BS walks. I don't see the draw to Vancouver. I could live on Vancouver Island. That is nice and peaceful.

edited February 14

There are lots of theories about the Vancouver real estate market, and how profits have been mined from it. It's pretty bizarre, insane for a city that is still fairly provincial in some ways. I think all of Canada's urban real estate appreciation is driven by immigration.

Indeed, the ticket price needs to be 5MM or more. Let the crooked officials and sweatshop zillionaires work for it - these aren't striving working class people looking for a better chance. My area already sees a lot of investor visa types, this will just increase it. Maybe I need to start selling MBs.

@fintail said: Maybe I need to start selling MBs.

I think the luxury car market is the safest one for the forseeable future. I would sell real estate if I wasn't so lazy and comfortable. I don't know if you saw that Mexico COL website I posted. Mortgage interest in Puebla is 26% Downtown high rises are not too badly priced.

http://www.realtor.com/international/listing-detail/Colonia-San-Jose-Vista-Hermosa-Puebla-Puebla_Puebla_Puebla_MX_9013545?source=web

Cheaper than here anyway. I'd want an engineering report though, judging by the unreinforced masonry I see in smaller buildings there.

Car dealer or realtor...hmmm...:)

@gagrice said:

123457»