Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Handling and Alignment

1235»

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    What was the problem? My steering wheel shakes if I brake at 60mph and go faster than 70mph. I'm going to take it to the dealers in the morning.

Shaking while braking is most likely a warped rotor. Warpeed rotors are often caused by improper toqueing of the lug nuts. Rotor resurfacing may help temporarily, but evnetual rotor replacement is needed, and paying close attention to lug nuts torque and sequence of application.

Shaking at certain speeds is most likely caused by a lost balancing weight. Some times parking too close to curbs, or some car washes knock them loose. Wheel balancing is needed.

Good luck.
  • I'm having the same issues with my 2008 CRV. I had my rotors, brakes and wheel alignment checked. They said everything is fine. I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer. It's frustrating that so many people have this issue and Honda does nothing to correct it.
    I'm having the same issues with my 2008 CRV. I had my rotors, brakes and wheel alignment checked. They said everything is fine. I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer. It's frustrating that so many people have this issue and Honda does nothing to correct it.

What's the tire pressure?
  • Purchased a 2010 EX-L and have driven it only the past 6 days. Thus far, no issues to report regarding pulling to the left or right when braking either on city streets or highway speeds.

Road noise depends on the surface of the road itself. Some are smooth thus quit but some street surfaces are rough or course and the noise is more pronounced but tolerable.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    I didn't buy a 2006 model because of the high noise level. The 2007 model is significantly improved (which I bought) and I've read that additional improvements have been made since then. Still, it's SUV with inherently noisier tires and a poor drag coefficient number.

Noise is pretty subjective. I find my CR-V acceptably quiet at freeway speeds on good quality roads. But it doesn't compare well to a mid-size passenger car if road quality is poor. Plus, it's short wheelbase can make for a choppy ride on some roads.

Still, short of buying a Lexus, some compromises are necessary.
    Since the CR-V is based on a Civic, the road noise should only be compared to a Civic sized vehicle.

A lot of the road noise is dependant on the tires, but also the noise insulation. To save weight, CR-V has next to none. There are enthusiasts who have installed Dynamat and sound proofed the vehicle.

Another option is to install a head unit radio from Honda Oddysey or Acura MDX, both of which have active noise cancelling technology. Think of noise cancelling headphones, but instead of wearing them on your head, the anti-noise is fed through the car speakers.

Many of the luxury makes do this to minimize weight, but maintain the quietness of the cabin.
  • My 2008 Honda CRV has been doing the same thing since I bought it - they just keep telling me there's dirt on the rotors! Now it pulls slightly to the right when I'm driving. I figure they're wanting to wait until the warranty runs out and then tell me I have a major problem that's going to cost big bucks to fix! I'm taking it to a private person to check out to find out what's wrong with it and take it back to the dealer and tell them what needs to be fixed/replaced. I bought a 97 CRV and never had any problems with it - Oh, and they want to charge me $100 like every 10,000 miles because of the rear differential making noises - all they need to do is grease it - never had this problem with my 97 until it had over 100,000 miles on it! This one doesn't even have 30,000 on it yet!
    edited April 2010
    My 2008 Honda CRV has been doing the same thing since I bought it - they just keep telling me there's dirt on the rotors! Now it pulls slightly to the right when I'm driving. I figure they're wanting to wait until the warranty runs out and then tell me I have a major problem that's going to cost big bucks to fix! I'm taking it to a private person to check out to find out what's wrong with it and take it back to the dealer and tell them what needs to be fixed/replaced. I bought a 97 CRV and never had any problems with it - Oh, and they want to charge me $100 like every 10,000 miles because of the rear differential making noises - all they need to do is grease it - never had this problem with my 97 until it had over 100,000 miles on it! This one doesn't even have 30,000 on it yet!

1) If the problem was addressed during the warranty period and not fixed, it will be covered by the warranty when the vehicle is out of warranty. So, there is no reason for the dealer to wait for the warranty to expire. It is not like they do warranty repairs for free. They still get paid, by Honda corporate.

2) Rear differential in 2005 and newsr CR-V's is more sensitive and a lot quicker to engage than the original CR-V differential. Even that one required fluid replacements at 60,000 miles as per the OWNER's MANUAL, not 100,000 miles. The new one requires fluid replacement based on the maintenance minder system or every 30,000 miles.

If you don't perform maintenance as prescribed, don't be surprized if the vehicle does not last as long.

If you don't want to pay the dealer or anyone else for the maintenance, learn how to do it your self. It is 19th century technology, so anyone who can operate a 20th or 21st century technology, should have the physical and mental capacity to repair 19th century technology.
  • fightfairfightfair Posts: 2
    Please, please ,please, everyone who has had this type of problem file a complaint at this link. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ See this website and fill out a complaint. It is about time Honda stands behind there cars again. Tell everyone you know with this type of problem. Enough is enough. We don't need a class action. We need enough voices to force Honda to honor their word or suffer the same consequences as Toyota has. It will take all of us to get some action taken. This is not the first time Crv's have had different information in the owner's manual from what the service bulletin says. Look up valve issues and adjustment schedules. They have done this before and gotten away with it. Not this time.
  • I have an '09 CR-V...it has been 13 months and I've had 6 alignments....my car still pulls to the right and this issue has never been resolved. I asked Honda to look at something else that could be affecting the pull..a bigger picture..but all they tell me is basically it is my fault, my driving and the crown of the road. Obviously there is a bigger issue than the alignment. I try to bring it to another shop for a second opinion, their conclusion was that there was a recall for the camber on CR-V's has anyone heard this?
  • I have an '08 CRV and I have not had any recalls come in. It's easy to find out if a recall was done on your car. If you're being financed thru Honda you can go under the hondafinancialservices.com site and under "My vehicles you will see on the bottom right hand side a link for "RECALLS". If you are not financed thru Honda you can go to this site: http://www.hondaproblems.com/recalls/
  • deontae3deontae3 Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I had the same issue when I had a 2008 Honda CRV. I ended up going through the Better Business Bureau and I went through a arbitration hearing. Honda had to buy my car back and pay me back all eight of the car notes that I had paid.
  • Thank you for your advice. I did follow through with your advice..currently waiting to hear back from the BBB to find out what their decision is.
  • I recently had some major engine work on my 2003 CRV (75k km); replacement of timing chain. This means pulling the engine and etc.

Now, when driving up the freeway to ski, the vehicle has a bit of a 'shudder' at higher speeds (70 km/hr). This is with winter tires on rims that haven't been rebalanced since being installed.

Any comments as to cause? I can think of unbalanced tires or wheel alignment issues and the recent engine work is just coincidental but I saw a reference in another discussion to a problem with the engine mount causing 'shudder' problems... I don't notice anything at lower speeds.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  • I took my Honda into the dealer for it's 5Kmile routine. When I got it back the steering was off. With the wheel centered it's pulls to the left and there's a lot more play in the steering. I took it back and they don't see it.

Any idea's on what I should check for ? I'm thinking something happened when they were changing oil up on the lift. I checked the steering fluid, not a problem.

It's under warrenty so I'm going to continue to go back.

Thanks for any help,

ED,
    Orlando Florida
1235»