Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 vs Lexus IS 350

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    The service should be excellent.
    $85 for an oil change?!?

I guess somebody has to pay for all those low-fat mocha lattes. :P
  • sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    I hope Lexus will see your comments cos I believe there are genuine. Lex made a very good car with the IS, its got all the ingredients but the guys at Lexus dont seem to be motivated to sell more units. All they need is manual transmission and an AWD option. I will be one of the first ones in line for the AWD model. One thing for sure is that exciting times await cos Infiniti and/or Lex will dethrone the 3 series in the not too distant future, I am sure of it.
    All they need is manual transmission and an AWD option. I will be one of the first ones in line for the AWD model.

I'll see you there!
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    None of those cars you mentioned are "sports cars". They are performance sedans. I really don't see the big deal of Lexus not offering manual tranny for IS350. If they do, it's a big plus, but that wouldn't make the car all of sudden a "sports car".

If the LF-A comes without a manual or DSG then you got a case against Lexus. Otherwise, no.
    Does this mean that the difference between a "sports car" and a "performance sedan" is 2 doors?
    Definitely not.

I wouldn't call a G37 and 335i coupe sports cars as well. These are made to be daily commuters and should be emphasized for its real-world, local and highway performance. Sports car on the other hand should be a track first, real-world second (or weekend fun) kind of car.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,147
    how about "sports sedans" is that better?? And btw more and more of these cars are seeing track time along with there general duty of being transporters (most cannot afford a track first car). You spoke of the lexus IS-F in a previous post-- it will be another automatic (8 speeds) with no manual option to start (non planned).. now I ask the question again this time on the IS_F --what is it?? for 55-60k would you rather sport a IS-F or a AUDI S5/S4 or the bmw M3 --or even a new CTS-V (which will have 500hp)- all are sports cars (sports sedans) with massive amounts of power --but again lexus does not offer awd or a manual.. The pursuit of luxury is complete still aways to go in the pursuit of sport (or fun).. :shades:
  • skarieskarie Posts: 78
    I agree, Both the G37 and 335i coupes are not sports cars.
    The M3 IS-F & C63 sedan are all just a premium proformance vehicles...911, R8 GTR now those are sports cars.
    I can't afford a sports car. :cry:
    How about a low mileage (< 10K miles) Corvette? ;)
    Sports sedans are still not sports cars. I would bet my car key that most (more than 90%) of those RS4 and M3 you've mentioned spent most of their life time as daily commuters. I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of them have never seen a track.

Granted the IS-F probably should come with a manual tranny but since all the AMGs (including C63) are auto tranny equipped somehow I don't see people knocking on that. Also, if you read Edmunds' IS-F first drive article you'll find that the 8-speed tranny can shift as fast (if not faster) in manual mode than the F1 gearbox Ferrari has put on the F430. It can hold gear too by the way after the 1st gear.

For $55-60K I would never get one of those "sports sedans". If this is for my only car I'll just get a regular 3 or IS350 and save the rest for a house down payment. If this is for my second car then I'll either get a "real sports car" like the Corvette Z06 or Boxter/Cayman S.
    All I want for Christmas is a GT-R :P
  • sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    I saw the specs on that car, its a monster.
    It's also about $40K too rich for my blood. :sick:
    Which brings me back to my first comment...

I can't afford a sports car. :cry:
    I would bet my car key that most (more than 90%) of those RS4 and M3 you've mentioned spent most of their life time as daily commuters. I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of them have never seen a track. I would agree with that-- but take a ride to limerock ct and see what people with racing dreams are driving these days at speeds that only a track can handle.. VW PHOTONS, MINI Coppers, BMW 318is, honda civics are all represented.
    Well, if you want to call Honda Civics as sports cars then I rest my case...

Again, tracking a car doesn't automatically mean the car is a sports car.
    A Miata is a good start, not a thoroughbred sports car but very track-worthy. S2000 on the other hand is great for the tracks if you like a high screaming 200HP sports car. Both you can get for under $35K. Now is actually a good time to snatch a S2000 since it's end of its model cycle.
    -- never said they were sports cars-- but I did say they saw track time- again most people cannot afford a second/third car for "track use" - and these cars (is350, g, 335, s4, cts) afford some people 50% fun 50% transport out of there car. your "case" still unclear. --I do agree that the miati and the s2000 are good cars for the money.
    s2000 i think is 230-240 hp
    I have too much pride to be seen driving a Miata... I don't care how fun it is.

A friend has an S2000, and although a nifty fun car, they just never did it for me.

I'll stick with my 50% fun / 50% transport G, at least until the lottery commission calls. (which should be any day now) :P
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    ". . .too much pride to be seen driving a Miata. . ."

Interesting comment. Have you ever driven one?

It's apparent that many who possess cars look at them far differently than I do and, stranger still (if you're me), care more what other people think of what they're driving than they do themselves.
    It's just an honest comment... certainly not aimed at anyone who owns or drives one.

A friend at work (a co-worker) has a Miata MX5.
    Now, this is just my opinion, but that is such a chicks car.
    Again, just my opinion.

I know that a car is looked at in different ways by different people and yes, I'm one of those who require a car's look to appeal to me as much as it's driving dynamics.

Judge me if you may, but the Miata is not a masculine vehicle and I don't want one.
    I don't care what anyone else thinks of it... I just dont like it. :)
    what do you drive scottm123?
    i know the answer your the guy with the magic right foot
    LOL...
    yeah, that's me. :blush:
  • I'm considering switching my RX to an Infiniti G35 Sedan or Lexus IS 350. Everytime I drive my RX it seems I'm driving my retirement vehicle which I'm not ready for. What should I look for in making this change of view?.
  • I'm considering switching my RX to an Infiniti G35 Sedan or Lexus IS 350. Everytime I drive my RX it seems I'm driving my retirement vehicle which I'm not ready for. What should I look for in making this change of view?.

I'm was looking at either a new &#145;07 G35x or a used &#145;06 IS350 myself ..... took a G35x out, pretty sweet I must say, even in snow …… took out the IS350 a few days later and liked it as well.
    The G35x was a little harsher ride than my former ride, an &#145;01 IS300 and the newer IS350 but I think that&#146;s a good thing. Ride quality is such a subjective thing it will be hard for anyone to convince you for sure one way or the other. Zero to sixty for both these cars is about even.

I went with the IS350 …. got a better deal, and liked the dealer better .
  • Picked up a G35 yesterday Silver Journey with Nav and Premium package thru internet sales great experience will never do a walk up again. The IS is a sweet ride and I feel the G35 is a equal in performance after driving both the price of the G35 at Invoice price was my deciding factor, very happy. :)
This discussion has been closed.