Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Electrical Problems

18910111214»

Comments

• Good morning,

2001 Ford Expedition

I left the lights on and the battery was dead. I jumped the vehicle and it started right up. When I disconnected the jumper cable, the vehicle died. I reconnected the cable and it will not turn over. No ignition, no lights, no horn. I let it charge for a few minutes before I disconnected the cable again.
    Battery output is at about 9V.
    I have the Owner's Guide with the fuse charts.
    All of the fuses under the dash are still good. I can hear a faint, steady, slow (one per second maybe) ticking at the box like a relay but I cannot determine the particular one.
    All of the fuses in the Power Distribution Box under the hood are good (Mini and Maxi.)
    I removed the Maxi fuse for the "Junction Box Battery Feed" and get 9V across the terminals.
    I removed the Maxi fuse for the "Ignition Switch Battery Feed (Run/Start Circuit)" and get NO voltage across the terminals.

I am going to try to find a schematic and continue troubleshooting, but I was hoping someone could shorten my search. I am a computer guy, not a car guy, so electricity doesn't bother me. I just don't know the flow to trace in sequence.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brian
  • When is the last time you replaced the battery? A good battery's output should be around 14V.
  • Sounds like a bad starter solenoid. Make sure to buy this part from ford. I had same problem with a cheap solenoid from an auto parts store. Which ended up breaking 3 starters. Do not let it continue to try and start or it will burn up your starter.
  • maybe someone can help my 97 expedition 5.4 alternator wont charge battery alt. tests out good and so does the battery ive went through and cleand all pos. and neg. connections and grounds tks to anyone that can help
  • whitesmokewhitesmoke Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer edition expedition with the 5.4 .... My driver and passenger seats do not adjust or do they heat but the little orange light comes on .... My mirrors do not adjust except the passenger mirror .. It will move in but that's it .... My peddles will not adjust .... All fuses are good not sure what the problem could bee ... Please help
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 288
    I had a similar issue on my 2003, in my situation there was a broken wire in the harness that feeds the control module that has all of those items in common. Took a dealer 3 hours to find the issue, they were just baout to run a new supply to the module. I think the module is under the seat.
  • Not likely to get any help here unless someone on the Expedition electrical problems forum also happens to have a Pilot EX with nail polish smell
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,978
    Hm, thought that one got removed after the post was made over in the Pilot forums. Probably an electrical glitch, lol.
  • I have a 2004 eddie bower when I bought it 2 years ago it worked perfect but my kids started playing with the sunroof and left it cracked open . I then ran it through a carwash and well I got soaked and so did the truck. The truck started draining the battery no codes in computer , I changed the battery 1st then the alternator. all of a sudden the truck says to check the charging system but the battery and alternator check out fine, now the radio isn't working properly volume control doesn't always work properly the only way to keep the battery charged is to disconnect the battery every time I turn the truck off the drain takes about 8 hours on a full charge. HELP PLEASE!!!!
  • i had the same issue replaced the blinker switch fixed it for a couple months. Today i discovered the real problem. the wiring harness going into the blinker multi funtion switch was the problem. the metal pins do not stay put in the plastic plug, and every time you adjust the tilt steering it slightly pushes and pulls on the wires. if you take the plastic off the colum take needle nose pliers and push each wire securely into the plastic plug on top by the hazards button. im assuming this is the reason some peoples rear wipers stop working and then the expedition catches on fire........ i think this should be a class action lawsuit. once i pushed each wire firmly in place problem was solved i adjusted the tilt where i want it and then removed the stick for the tilt wheel until i can get a new pigtail for the blinker multi function switch.
  • i would take the plastic off the colum unplug each connector make sure its dry and put dielectric grease in it.
  • ctastevectasteve Posts: 2

@2818micheal said: I have a 2004 eddie bower when I bought it 2 years ago it worked perfect but my kids started playing with the sunroof and left it cracked open . I then ran it through a carwash and well I got soaked and so did the truck. The truck started draining the battery no codes in computer , I changed the battery 1st then the alternator. all of a sudden the truck says to check the charging system but the battery and alternator check out fine, now the radio isn't working properly volume control doesn't always work properly the only way to keep the battery charged is to disconnect the battery every time I turn the truck off the drain takes about 8 hours on a full charge. HELP PLEASE!!!!

• ctastevectasteve Posts: 2

I can help !!!! on the ps r/ door.. Lift up the plastic footstep in the door jam right next to the rug just pull hard and lift and look for water and a wire harness if wet... keep plastic off and heat or air dry ..

18910111214»