Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car Water Leaks

Comments

• I didn't lift the rug as yet.I put some baking soda and a towel on it a few days ago when it was soaked.It's still a little wet.I'll pull that rubber flap off so it's all open there.Is there a way to open that black grated piece??Does that thing inside it need replacing?Thanks for all the info!
  • ralkaralka Posts: 72
    the piece in the the heater case is a blend door ( if we are talking about the same thing), it diverts the air from the heater case to the defrosters or to the floor or panel vents. if you start the car and change the air flow setting see if that moves, than you will know if it is what i think you are seeing.
    good luck
  • I think I was asking about the filter type thing behind the glove box.Kind of big,encased by the black grated box.It was wet.It does seem to move so as to let air in.Anyway,it's raining out now.1st time since I put the silicone sealer stuff around.I'll let you know if the fix was enough.
  • Hey bro.I was just vacuuming the Lincoln and I noticed the floor in the back,driver side and front driver side is wet too.Where's that coming from???Front passenger side seems nice and dry now though.It rained for a while yesterday.I guess the fix worked on that side, so far,anyway.Any idea what's up with the back??
    check the hood release cable and grommet , sometimes the water channels through it
  • ok.I think that it may be weatherstripping too.It looks good but who knows.
  • HELLO ALL: i BOUGHT MY TOWNCAR A FEW WEEKS AGO AND WENT THRU A SMALL STREAM(THE ROAD GOES OVER A CREEK) NEAR MY HOUSE-i'VE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS GOING OVER THIS CREEK WITH ANY OTHER CAR SO i WAS SUPRISED TO SEE MY CARPET ON THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE SOAKED- i LOOKED UNDER IT AND THE RUBBER DRAIN PLUG ON THE BELLY PaN WAS LOOSE- SO i DRIED THE CARPETS THE BEST i COULD AND STUCK THE PLUG BACK IN. tHAT WAS OVER A WEEK AGO AND TODAY i FELT THE CARPETS IN THE FRONT AND REAR AND THEY WERE STILL DAMP-NOW i'M BEGINNING TO THINK AFTER READING ALL THE OTHER COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS ISSUE THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER INTENTIONALY KEPT THE DRAIN PLUG LOOSE TO LET OUT ANY WATER THAT IS GETTING IN FROM ANOTHER SOURCE WHICH i HAVEN'T LOCATED YET. i WILL TRY ALL THE FIXES THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TRIED AND HOPEFULLY i CAN SOLVE THIS MYSTERY- i THINK THERE IS A MUSKY ODOR AND I NOTICED SOME SURFACE RUST ON THE SEAT TRACKS INDICATING THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR AWHILE.-HOPEFULLY MY FLOORS DON'T ROT OUT! i DID SEE ON EBAY WHERE YOU CAN BUY AN ENTIRE NEW MOLDED CARPET FOR THE CAR FOR A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS.
  • I think I'm going to replace the door weatherstripping on mine.I'll put a bunch of silicone/adhesive on the new stripping and hopefully that stops it.I have to much stuff going on to worry about the damn floors in my Lincoln rotting out!I'll just trade it for another one.
  • I cleaned out the area in front of the cowl-there were a few leaves and some debris but not too much.
  • I'd like to remove the seats and replace the molded carpet after I fix the leak.If the car has been exposed to moisture is there a way to prevent the floors from rotting out once I have the carpet out- has anyone done this?
  • Yea, I did the cowl thing a couple of weeks ago and put silicone all around that area too.That wouldn't get water to the back though.
  • are you referring to removing the black plastic piece under or behind the glove box first and then reaching behind to see if there's moisture? Is the cowl area with the removable screen under the hood also the fresh air vent location where the water might be coming in?

thanks for all your technical help-

rob
  • evidently if enough water gets in from the front it can settle in the back as it's the lowest point in the car. If water does get in to the rear you can loosen the rubber drain plug and allow any excessive moisture to drain and allow air to get in there- I took out my back seat and removed the cover over the seat belt and got as much as the carpet away from the metal and drove around for awhile with the plug out to get some air to circulate. I couldn't loosen the the star nut however on the seat belt anchor. Someone told me it's secured with loctite. Just remember to put the plug back in after everything dries. I'm going to try baking soda to try to remove the musky odor as someone else has done.
  • Where is the drain plug located back there??That's a new one on me.RobKstone,the plastic black thing under the hood is what I removed and cleaned up.The thing behind the glove box was wet,but I couldn't get it out.Don't know if it's removable or not.I went all the way down to the screen outside and cleaned all that up,made sure all nuts and bolts were tight and put some silicone all around.I also put silicone between the weatherstripping to see if that helps w/the water in back.I'll do the plug thing as soon as you guys tell me where it is!!lol.
  • there is a rubber oval drain plug on each rear footwell-look under the car and you'll see them. If you lift the carpet(some disassembly required) you can see it as well.- by the way the metal under the carpets on my car and I assume everyone elses is painted which gives me some hope against corrosion.

Is the screen you're talking about under the removable black plastic piece that can be removed with the long plastic screws on the passenger side, when you lift the hood in front of the windshield? I found some debris in there but didn't look further. What is this screen for-fresh air? I'm assuming everyone is saying that if water leaks through there it will eventually wind up on your front carpet and if it leaks a lot, can eventually find it's way to the rear as well since it's lower. I have to find this problem as I'm not garaging my car at present and every time it rains, I'm getting some moisture. At least this explains why it's only on the passenger side front and rear.
  • Yes,The screen is under the black plastic grate.Undo all the bolts there and clean it out good,put some kind of sealer in there too.My bolts were all on the loose side when I went in there so I tightened them up good too.
    check thread message 23 and 25. It can be a few things. run water on it with the sill plate and kick plate off and the front carpet pulled back to see what area it is comming from. it will run under the rug front to back and saturate the foam padding.
  • I finally saw where the water is coming from on my car today as it is raining hard here in the Philadelphia suburbs- I saw water run down the front passenger side carpet behind the glove box on the right corner. It's definitely coming from atop somewhere near the windshield. I'm hoping I can stop it by resealing the screen and it's not a windshield or weld seam problem.
  • I finally saw where the water is coming from on my car today as it is raining hard here in the Philadelphia suburbs- I saw water run down the front passenger side carpet behind the glove box on the right corner. It's definitely coming from atop somewhere near the windshield. I'm hoping I can stop it by resealing the screen and it's not a windshield or weld seam problem.

* digg
    * delicious
    * stumbleupon
    * netscape
    * addthis
    I had that issue and I did the plastic fix under the hood.It's raining here today as well so this is the test for that fix.I'll let you know how it's doing later today.
  • 99towncarexec:yeah, let me know if your fix works-also did you find the rubber drain plugs?
  • Well,I just went out and the FIX seems to be working.It's all dry on the pass.side now.However,the driver side and the back are both soaked. I'm going to try and pull it in the shop after hours and look for that plug.It's very wet in those two places. : :cry: :
  • sorry to hear it man-yeah, I love my car, but I have to get this stuff fixed or else it takes all the enjoyment out of ownership-keep me posted :mad:
  • I hear that!!Do the passenger side fix under the hood though.It's a start anyway.
  • Well,I lifted the car,tightened my wipers while there (they were very noisy) and realized somebody put them on in the wrong place!I Looked at the plug.Pushed it in a little and a bunch of water started dripping out.I also cleaned out the drain on the driver side under the cowl thing.It was all clogged up.I think the problem could be that the door seals have shrunk over the years the car was in Florida HEAT.Just guessing on the heat part,but the seals have shrunk for sure.Also found out I need 2 tie rod ends!! :) So,the floor is wet but hopefully the plug will allow some drainage in back,and the one up front by the cowl will too. Some work needs to be done to fix this but it doesn't seem to difficult a task.
  • 99towncarexec: I bought mine(a 99' Town Car Signature w/Touring Sedan package a few weeks ago for $4,000.-) and have been fixing all these little things that the previous owner either ignored or just didn't want to be bothered with but bug me. I really like the Touring Sedan version- it has chrome wheels, dual exhausts, perforated leather seats, stabilizer bars front & rear, plus different shocks for a slightly firmer ride. I just couldn't pass up the deal. I always liked these Town Cars for their styling and I dig big cars. My car has 106,000 miles and I've heard they are very reliable and you can put some high mileage on them. I'm an originality freak so I've been making sure my car has everything that came with it from new. I even have the original Touring Sedan mats, the original keys, the original brochure- The previous owner bought and serviced the car at one dealer so I have all the service records. If you search on EBAY and check with various dealers you can find most everything you need but the interior trim pieces are getting hard to find.Funny nothing ever was mentioned in my service records about the water leak. Maybe he didn't realize it. It's more a nuisance but again I am concerned about mold issues and smells
  • Check your door moldings.They might look good but be faulty nonetheless.Sounds like a real nice ride you got there.I was in the LIMO business for almost 20 years and had lots of Lincolns.Take car of it and it'll last 3-4-5 hundred thousand miles!!It'll also ride like the day it left the showroom!!
  • 99towncarexec: Yeah, thanks for the compliment- the car is a beautiful dark wedgewood blue metallic with oxford white interior- after I get all the other items straightened out, I'm planning to have the seats dyed. I figure the car was pretty inexpensive to begin with so I would invest a little more to make it almost perfect. It's a pretty easy restoration as it's only ten years old. I'm pretty impressed with the quality other than the water leak issue. I'm hoping that Ford doesn't discontinue this model. It would be nice to see one with a 6-speed automatic, independent rear suspension, real wood, etc. to compete with the world's best.

When you say door moldings are you referring to the rubber weatherstripping on both the doors and the car? Have you ever replaced them? With all your experience with these cars, have you seen any with rust?- the one good thing about these cars in regards to that is they are a body on frame- the frame would have to rust out to make it unsafe. :shades:
  • Never ever had any rust issue with these.I drove Lincolns thru bad NY winter snow storms,parked outside and all that. The inner door moldings.They look just like weatherstripping and have the interior color of the car on the inside,at least mine does anyway.The go all around the door opening.
  • Ok-cool, I'll check it our-thanks for the tip- when you're driving in the snow with these, have you ever needed snow tires or does the traction control do a pretty good job? :shades:
  • Well,I was younger and didn't give a crap about snow tires way back when.I just spun my way out if I got stuck! lol. If you live in a big snow area,I'd say get snow tires because these cars are all trunk with no weight back there.I'll be putting on snows soon.Blizzak or something studded.