Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Window/Door/Hatch Problems

Comments

• ratssratss Posts: 6
    We just bought a 2008 EXL w/RES. We noticed the passenger sliding door does not open as far as the drier's side sliding door. Upon inspection, I noticed a hinged tab that that strikes a stopper on the passenger side. If you open the door manually and carefully hold in the hinged tab, you can get the door to open all the way, but otherwise it stops short of all the way open. The driver's side sliding door does not appear to have this hinged tab. Is this by design? Has anyone else noticed this? Why would Honda not have both doors open all the way. Additionally, if opening the passenger sliding door manually, if you do not hold the tab in, the door will not "catch" and lock open, this is dangerous. You can hold the tab in beyond the door stop and it will open all the way and "catch."

I'm trying to find out if I need to go back to the dealership or if this is an intentional design.
  • poocatpoocat Posts: 35
    The sliding door will not open all the way if the window on that sliding door is not up all the way or closed. It's a safety feature built into the door.
    I understand the window safety feature. That is not the case hear. Window is up all the way. Passenger sliding door will not open all the way. Took it the dealership today and they had to take the whole door apart and order parts. The car is two weeks old. Just wanted to know if others were having the same problem. Checked with a friend who bought the same car a few months ago. They are having the same problem and are going to the dealer tomorrow.
  • Did you get a solid answer to what happened here? I have the same issue with the passenger sliding door. I removed the latch on the door track that was holding it from openeing all the way. Now it opens fine. However, I have what appears to be a related problem in that the window on the same door will not go down. The motor works but only does a quick "bump" & stops.
    Yes it was the window sensor. They replaced it and everything has been fine since.
  • In July 2007 my passenger door started having problems opening and shutting. After going through the usual "adjustments" at 2 dealerships and duplicating the problem numerous times at the dealer I finally got a motor replaced along with a few minor parts in November 2007. Through the cold winter months (reno, nv) my door never malfunctioned. As soon as the weather warmed up the problem returned. I have dealt with the service manager and corporate Honda. My case is continuing and still "open" so I have not had to pay for anything. I simply want my door to work! I can say confidently that the local dealer would fix it, however, they do not know how. They have seen the door malfunction, acknowledge it is a problem, but nobody at tech support, corporate honda or locally know how to fix it. The problem: when pushing the remote/interior button/or pulling the handle the door will try to open (you hear the motor) but then beep and remain shut. It takes 1-4 more tries and it will make a popping noise and finally open. When stuck open, you will hear the motor trying to engage but then it will beep and remain open. It takes 1-4 more tries to close, sometime lunging forward in the process. If anyone knows what needs to be done, please help!
  • I have an 06 EX with the power doors. The rubber gaskets on the floor threshhold is ripped up and has rusty metal hanging out of it. I took it to the dealer and told them that I thought my kids might get cut on this rusty metal so they replaced them for free. The dealer said that he has only come across this one other time and is shocked that it fell appart. My guess is 80% of these are doing this has anyone else had this problem?
  • I believe we have the same model. Mine has done the same thing twice. I had it fixed under warranty once. It has disintegrated again. I was going to try to put some putty or adhesive in it just to keep the kids from getting cut.
  • meltomelto Posts: 1
    Yes, been having this problem for about 2 years on my '05. Finally decided to go online and bought replacements for both sides for $50. Easy fix, they just pop off and the new ones pop right back on.

Don't think they are meant for small kids with little legs who use the rubber seal as their launch.
  • I had the same problem with my 1999 EX: dead door, annoying warning buzzer when in gear, sliding door warning light on. I thought I was going to have to go in for at least a new sliding door motor. Coffee breaks can be good, I wish more problems in life could be solved that way. I disconnected and reconnected the battery as you suggested and I was a happy guy. I think the electronic mechanism got hung up when my daughter was trying to open the door from the outside while I was trying to open the door from the dashboard button, this went on for 4 or 5 attempts. After that, the door was never the same. It works fine now but these doors are definitely a weak spot. We had to get all the spring-loaded buttons in the door and replaced (while under warranty) a few years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if something else goes wrong. Good call with the battery disconnect, maybe that should be part of the tune-up routine. I think I'll go get some coffee......thanks!
  • I had the same problem on my 06. It was the door rollers. They are cheap plastic rollers that cant be greased. Road grime gets into the track and "locks up" the roller causing it to drag or hang up. That little bit of drag will cause the door to open back up. I put my door in the "manual close" mode and had to force it shut. The door then fell off the track and scrached up the side of the van. My extended warrenty only covered the rollers and the labor to install new ones. They would not cover the damage caused by the door coming off the hinge. Both doors had this problem with in a week of each other.
  • mooger1mooger1 Posts: 14
    I'm hearing some draging noise in the side doors as they open and close. I'm wondering if there is any maintenance that I should be doing on these doors to prevent problems down the road. sound like the rollers could be draging,,is there any way to lube them mooger
  • This happened to me on my '06 Odyssey last week. I have the extended 'Honda Care' warranty. They will fix the door problem, but not the scratches that run the entire length of the side quarter panel. The damage was caused when the door fell off the track and swung on the cable.

'Honda Care' (if you can call it 'care') had the nerve to tell me I caused it by continuing to use the door when I knew it was jamming. I had it into the dealer (Honda of Nanuet) in Nanuet numerous times, but of course it wouldn't jam when it was there. The next time it happened was when the door fell off!

I called American Honda and they said that after I had the body work done they would 'review' my situation.

Funny, a few years ago the subframe cracked on my '98 Ford Windstar just after the 6 year warranty ran out. Guess what? Ford paid the full amount of the $3600 repair. Now that's customer service.
  • Hi,

I have a 2005 Odyssey and this am noticed a continuous beep while backing out of the driveway. No doors are showing as opened, as I rechecked each. The only way to stop the beeping was to turn off the power door switch next to the steering wheel. I check the contacts on each door and still can't figure it out. Anyone have this issue before?
  • The windows on my 2007 EX-L slide down when I lock the car and leave it for a short period of time. I found out that the remote will make the windows slide down if you hold the lock down for a period of time. The dealer does not believe that it does it by itself. Has anyone had this problem?
  • I have a different by related issue. It only happened once. I was on the highway and then notice the passenger door light up after numerous attempt to shut the door, the light still wouldn't go off. I was on the highway and no way I will pull over to check it. When I got home, and I turned off the car and turned it back on, the light is off.
  • Have had this problem. Have not taken it to a dealer yet. We didn't know the remote could make the windows go down. I will have to try to make that happen first.
  • kjn3kjn3 Posts: 2
    After we get out of our 2002 Honda Oddessey van and walk around and open the back hatch door, we hear all the doors lock without us touching anything. One time the side sliding door just opened when I was standing in the driveway and I wasn't touching anything. HOW SCARY...this seems to happen routinely. Any suggestions? I am afraid that I am going to get my keys locked in the car.
    Kate
  • 06 Odyssey EX-L. After installing a DIY remote starter kit for wifey's Christmas...remote starter works fine, but passenger and rear windows will not work. Driver window operates fine, but the other three only click. Tried uninstalling remote starter, no joy. Checked all fuses, power from drivers switch down to fuse/relay panel. Anyone have any ideas?
  • shekharshekhar Posts: 23
    Almost impossible to open. Sometimes I am able to open them from inside (but never from outside) with great effort. What could be the reason. I had the doors "fixed" during the recall (early 2000). This problem is new.
    Was I supposed to lubricate the rollers? With what and how frequently? How expensive the repairs could be? I will appreciate all the help/advice. Thank you.
  • Don't worry, disconect the battery for about a cup of coffee and reconect the battery back you should be just fine!
    CRISTIAN FROM AZ
  • ilouieilouie Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with a 2006. What causes the beep when everything seems to be fine?
  • tee18tee18 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Odyssey and the doors lock automatically/by themselves fairly routinely. I can't remember a particular incident when door(s) shut "on their own".... but I'm pretty paranoid about making sure that if I step out of that van, my keys are with me...so I wouldn't be surprised if the doors closed at least once by themselves. The alarm system also works differently than what the manual says.
  • fbc2009fbc2009 Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 Odyssey with 78k miles on. It is a great van, no issue so far. A couple of month ago, the right sliding door starts making this squeky noise. I check and there is no sign of friction. I used some white lithium on the point of contact, but that didn't help at all. Door closes fine, but the noise is terrible. Maybe the cable needs some major lubrification? Any suggestion? Thank you
  • bdlzbdlz Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with mine. Turns out it was a plastic bearing on the center track hinge that broke, and the squeaking was the metal shaft rubbing against the track.

It happened on the other door now, and I'm trying to find out how to replace the center hinge.
  • fbc2009fbc2009 Posts: 7
    Thanks. What did you do for the first door? Did you fix it yourself or the dealer?
  • ecksteingecksteing Posts: 1
    Hi billbr66. We picked up or 2010 Odyssey EX-L a couple of weeks ago and my wife was complaining of a similar problem. when she returns to the car after having parked and locked it, all four windows are down about one inch. I tried holding the remote lock button down as you suggested, but that doesn't do anything. It's happened three or four times. Did you ever hear more about this from your dealer?
  • jwpfljwpfl Posts: 11
    Hi. The windows probably go down when she is unlocking the doors. The 1st press of the key fob will unlock the driver's door and if it is pressed a 2nd time all of the doors will unlock. If it is pressed for a little too long the 2nd time, all of the windows will start lowering. She probably doesn't notice that the windows have gone down when she enters the van but sees them when see returns to it. This has happened to me several times. :D