Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Starting/Stalling

Comments

• fadefade Posts: 5
    I'll have the SEL read although its currently not on. The coolant level is fine. Changed coolant and thermostat last summer at 100K miles along with belt. Hopefully no worries there. The car seems to run flawlessly at all times, it just won't start.
    However, I now have a third issue. Today on the way to work, I had the usual stop-and-go for about 5 miles. When traffic finally broke free, I stepped on the gas and out the tailpipe came large billowing blue clouds of smoke. It actually ran fine, just blew smoke for about a mile, then quit and ran perfectly all the way to work, about another 5 miles. When I started it this evening, it blew a small amount of blue smoke, then I didn't notice any additional smoke the entire commute home. I checked the oil and I'm down almost a full quart even though the oil was changed just two weeks ago. I normally lose a quart between changes, but I've never lost this much this quickly. Any advice from the real mechanics out there?
    Gary
  • my step son's 99 intrigue with 140K miles 3.8 engine ,started running rough today and nearly died while on the road,he was able to get it into a parking lot and he shut it off and it would not start back.it kinda just acted like the battery was weak,it would attemp to turn over,then just click.i was thinking alternator ,so itook the battery(known to be good) out of my silverado and tried it and got the same results.has any body ever had anything like this to happen to them with this kind of car?i was not with him so i don't know for sure what it started doing when it nearly stalled or he didn't know what kind of dash lights came on,he did notice the check engine was on right before he shut it off. thanks for any advice on this problem.i will let you know what is found.
  • the problem turned out not to be electrical,like i suspected.my mechanic found that the intake plenium was cracked and allowed dex cool to leak into the top of the engine,which essentially locked it up after it was shut off.after the spark plugs were removed the engine would turn over which also allowed most of the dex cool to be blown from the cylinders.after a new plenium,new set of plugs and plug wires for good measure(damaged some of the old ones trying to remove them from the plugs),the car is back to running perfectly.i think it was pure luck that the engine(piston rods,valves) was not damaged after trying to crank it so many times.
  • olds409olds409 Posts: 22
    My intrigue is giving me a camshaft sensor circuit fault.I replaced sensor still have fault.Replaced PCM fault is gone but now it wont crank.Did passlock relearn,nothing.What can cause a no-crank? Before it would not crank but at least it told me why. :mad:
    I'm getting a p0340 camshaft sensor circuit malfunction. Replaced sensor,wires,and crankshaft sensor just to make sure.No luck :confuse: Has anybody encounter and fixed this problem? I'm about to set this sucker on fire.PLEASE help :cry:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    What is the year, engine and mileage on your Intrigue?
    2000 with about 163k
    Could it be the alternator? I know they are known to have issues... :confuse:
    It could be the alternator but I haven't heard of the alternator causing that type of problem.

What was the exact code? Here's a discussion on the crankshaft sensor: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=961719&highlight=star- t

It turns out the connecting wires to the sensor were bad which resulted in the code.
  • Actualy is was not the alternator. The problem was under the air filter. The housing for the filter cut into wiring harnest. I've repaired 8 wires so far,still have a few more. I hope this helps other owners with the same problem. :)
    Ok,i'm getting a P0340 cam sensor circuit malfunction and a P0335,p0385 crank sensor A and B circuit malfunction.My car wont crank.I have replaced,ignition switch,lock and cilinder,cam sensor,crank sensor,neutral safety switch.connector,pig tails,batery,pcm.And still nothing,It has power on the small wire to starter.However Im tired of spending $$$$.Could this be the answer to my problem? :confuse: :mad:
  • It has power on the small wire to starter

this is the wire to the solenoid after all the checks like sensor park neutral etc.

If it has power from this wire to ground when turning the key but no crank, then the solenoid or the starter is the issue.
    There are two coils in the solenoid to engage the heavy spring loaded lever to pull in the main contact to the starter. Once the main contact is in the second coil is cut out of the circuit and the remaining coil is sufficient to hold it in until you release the key.

Verify that you have a good ground to the starter. It is through the bolts to the block, which is grounded by a big ground wire somewhere.
    Yes, it was the starter. The funny thing was,that I had it checked twice,and both time they told me that it was good and running strong. My olds is back.. :)
    Ok guys, after all I did to my Olds,he let me down.Finaly fixed the starting problem,and now the torque converter clutch is stuck. It start but the second you put it in gear it stalls. Picked up a 04 Grand Prix,same car ,same problems,well not yet.... Question?Can I swap starters?The one in the olds is 7days old.Acording to autozone they have the same part number except for the gp has an "s"Will it fit?Maybe some shims?
  • kiflcbkiflcb Posts: 1
    Today I was driving and my car just stalled. The service engine light started flashing and then it just shut off. The wheel locked up and I had to like guide it off the road. this has happened before and I just turn it off and its fine again. I went and had it looked at and they said i needed new coil packs and spark plugs so I changed those and now it is doing it again...does anyone else have this problem or know whats wrong? do you think it could be the alternator. Now it wont start at all. all the lights come on and it turns over and churns but it wont actually start. help me please
  • i have not had that experience,(yet),but from all i have read this sounds like either a crankcase position sensor,camshaft position sensor or possibly a defect in the ignition cylinder/switch assembly.any codes or security lights on ?good luck.
  • Hey there,
    I am having the exact same problem. I have and 1998 Intrigue. My car has stalled on me while driving. It would give me starting problems as well. It wouldn't start right away then i would eventually get it going. I took it to my my mechanic and they replaced the key ignition cylinder (it worked for a day). Then they said I had a lose battery connection and they reset my security system (it worked for 2 days then bam). So I told them to try to disable the car starter (it worked fine for a couple days now the damn thing won't start at all) Funny thing is that when the car starter was connected it would start fine with the start but would die when i tried the key. So now its in my car port and won't start, it tries the engine light flickers, all the other lights go on the turn off, and runs rough then dies.. So I may have to get it towed to my mechanic again.
    If you can you keep me posted on your dilemma. When I get it figured out I will let you know. maybe you can e-mail me : .bender1972@hotmail.com
    It would be greatly appreciated, I have had this on and off problem for over a month
    its so frustrating!!.

take care
    Chris,
  • wheelowheelo Posts: 1
    Hey Chris,

Did you ever get this problem resolved? If so what fixed it? My pastor has a 2000 intrigue and has similar problems with the car stalling when he is driving it and the car won't start sometimes. He can turn the key on and wait until the dash lights come on and then it will usually start. He has had the fuel pump and fuel filter replaced. The mechanic tried to get the codes but they cleared when the engine stalled...do you think that would indicate an electrical problem? Anyway thanks.

Mark
  • lol smileyface! I am so thankful for this forum. I have a 99 Intrigue. I have been having problems starting it and sometimes it dies when running. When it's hot or rainy, the problem was really bad. I had a mechanic check it out but there were no codes in the computer so that was inconclusive. To me, it seemed like a fuel delivery problem because the engine would sputter and die. However that was not the case. My mass airflow sensor went out about 4 years ago. When that happened, my car would crank but not start and there was a code stored in the computer. So I knew that was not the problem again.

Today, after mulling over the forums for a few days, I decided to go to Autozone and buy a new ignition switch for $80. It took me just over an hour to take apart my dashboard and put in the new switch. My car starts fine now! I am no longer embarrased to drive my car for fear of stalling!

I have no idea why a bad ignition switch causes an engine to act that way, but i replaced it and I'm well on my way to 200,000 miles now!!!
  • araticusaraticus Posts: 1
    i am trying to locate the crankshaft sensor on my olds, intrigue, 2000. i can not find it and am wondering if i can install the sensor on my own.thnks for any comments that can help me with my problem. i bought the sensor and it seems like a fairly simple part to install>
  • Hey Mark,

Did your Pastor ever find out what the problem was. Sorry I never responded before didn't see the post. You may have read my other posts though. I had the crank sensor, mass air flow senor replace and it worked for awhile but now its acting up again.grrrr
  • check engine light...the car idols very rough and after being driven for 15 or 20 min. when i come to a stop the car dies and some times it even dies when i just let off the gas pedal. took it to my local parts store and had the engine codes pulled this is the result...PO102,PO171,PO306 can any one help?
    P0102 - MAF / VAF a circuit low input; try cleaning the MAF with an appropriate cleaner

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1); It could be an oxygen sensor.

P0306 - misfire in cylinder 6.

Question, how many miles and is the coolant at the right level?
  • Hey there Mark

Did your pastor ever figure our his problem, my car I thought was fixed , is not having stalling and starting issues.... Let me know thanks chris
    (to let you know, I have replaced the crank position sensor, the oxygen sensor, computer, fuel pressure regulator, ignition switch. The problem went away for a couple months but now is back more often, I think i may have do with wiring near the ignition switch or the security system I think the the security is cutting off the fuel pump not letting it start... im gonna have it looked at again.
    ill let you know..
    if you like my email is bender1972@hotmail.com
  • Hey Everyone,

Well I finally took my Car to a GM dealer. MY car would stall while driving no matter what speed, and would also have a terrible time starting. Previously I had a few things replaced, the crank position sensor (they replaced this cause a code came up for faulty part) ,the fuel pressure regulator, the ignition switch, the oxygen sensor, had a new ECM computer replaced all that and I still had problems.
    I broke down and took it to a GM dealer. They did a test on it and found this
    ""on inspection found the ignition voltage to the PCM was dropping off the battery voltage to 3volts and then the car would not run correctly. Need new Electrical Ignition Switch"
    . So basically the Electrical Ignition switch was faulty. I guess the other one i had installed was no good. What a piss off. I have read that alot of GM cars have this issue. Would be nice if they fixed this for free. Damn repair cost me $600.00.
    O well it is fixed now I hope..
    I will keep you all posted, if you wanna email me bender1972@hotmail.com
  • It was actually a Electrical Ignition Switch behind the key cylinder that was faulty....
    just to let anyone know
  • I got a 1998 and 3800 engine w/118k miles. replaced the crank sensor in august and it solved the initial stalling problem. the car ran fine until yesterday (12/1/10). it stalled after a few minutes and I had to tow it back to my workplace. after trying to restart it the battery died fast. recharged (2hrs) and tried again, no start (crank yes). pulled the #5 sparkplug turned key and only 1 spark and nothing, reinstalled then pulled the #1 then it fired up. we quickly turned it off, installed the plug back then it fired up and ran for 30 sec then died and no start again. after 8 hrs of battery recharge, i started the car and it ran, idle to 2000 then dropped to 1000 then fluttered then dropped and died, again no start. we used starter fluid and nothing, so ruled out fuel problem. the battery also got weak again. had batt sys checked in aug and no problems. fuel pump and filter replaced in june 2009... any ideas? getting codes tomorrow, but i suspect :sick: it will give crank sensor again.
  • Hey There KKIM

I had the a similar issue, my car would stall while driving for no reason, and many times it would just not start..I replace a few things the crank sensor, ignition switch, oxygen sensor, spark plugs. Read my post below if you are having stalling while driving issues or your car just one start and acts real goofy when starting this may be the problem. What the replace was a switched behind the ignition swtich, it was dropping of in voltage causing the car to stall. hope this helps. you can emil if u like
    bender1972@hotmail.com
    When I had the codes read it just came up security issue..

Hey Everyone,

Well I finally took my Car to a GM dealer. MY car would stall while driving no matter what speed, and would also have a terrible time starting. Previously I had a few things replaced, the crank position sensor (they replaced this cause a code came up for faulty part) ,the fuel pressure regulator, the ignition switch, the oxygen sensor, had a new ECM computer replaced all that and I still had problems.
    I broke down and took it to a GM dealer. They did a test on it and found this
    ""on inspection found the ignition voltage to the PCM was dropping off the battery voltage to 3volts and then the car would not run correctly. Need new Electrical Ignition Switch"
    . So basically the Electrical Ignition switch was faulty. I guess the other one i had installed was no good. What a piss off. I have read that alot of GM cars have this issue. Would be nice if they fixed this for free. Damn repair cost me $600.00.
    O well it is fixed now I hope..
    I will keep you all posted, if you wanna email me bender1972hotmail.com