Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Transmission Questions

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I feel for people who have little knowledge about cars, and are at the mercy of repair shops. Unfortunately many repair shops guess what is causing the problem, and throw parts at it. This can become very expensive when they keep guessing the wrong part. Getting a second or third opinion can reduce the likelyhood of this. Your health insurance will usually require you to get a second opinion before having surgery. I think it should also be a requirement for your car. Having a mechanic you know personally is best, but not everyone has that luxury.
  • Thanks elroy5. You have been a tremendous amount of help. At least this gives me something to go on. You know some mechanics like to take advantage of some women. Thanks again.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I told ya elroy would be more help than I could be. :)

Keep us posted on your situation!

Best regards,

TheGrad
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Having a mechanic you know personally is best, but not everyone has that luxury.

You got that right!!

Elroy, as the graduate noted, your input around here is very helpful. Thanks very much!! :)
    I like to help people save some $$$ if I can. :D Especially those who don't have any $$$ to waste. ;)
  • Thanks everybody for your input. I talk to a lot of guys at work who know alot about cars and all of them said the same things. Wraped rotors. So I will take your opinion and get a lot of answers. It's a little slow at work some I will have time to go to different mechanics. AI will take my brother-in-law with me. I will let you all know what the problem was.
  • dano2008dano2008 Posts: 8
    I want to replace the speedsensor on my 97 accord LX 2.2, but I dont know exactly where it's located. Would be grateful for any help.
    dano,
    This link only covers up to the 95 model Accord, but it may help you find yours. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html
  • monkey13monkey13 Posts: 1
    I have grave problems with the automatic transmission in my L4 accord 1999, send her to repair but I keep on in difficulties in the application of changes, any help himself thank
    P, D changed over the sensors records and seals
    I have a 97 accord LX 2.2 4cly, AT
    My tranny shifts rough, I took it to a shop and they said the tranny came up with no problem codes. I had the fluid changed, no changes. My speedometer wasn't working so I changed the VSS on the trans and the speedometer works but still rough shifting. My D4 light does not blink or stay on. My next step is to get a computer reading on the car and see if any other codes come up.

My question is, what other factors could come into play when the tranny shifts rough but no codes show up ? :confuse:
    There are many things that can affect shifting (throttle cable, temperature sensor, thermostat, shift solenoids, etc.) Here's a link that may help you sort it out. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
    PS: You may want to save this link, for future reference (many troubleshooting tips for 4th gen Accords) I know your Accord is a 5th gen, but many parts are the same.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Posts: 168
    Just noticed on my 2008 Accord 4Dr V6 with 600 miles that when stopped on an incline with the car still in drive, the car will drift back if your foot is taken off the brake. Same issue that started the whole 2001 Accord tranny disaster. I am going to the dealer on Thurs to have it checked. Any one else with this issue?
  • parvizparviz Posts: 484
    To my understanding, that is the nature of Honda trannys (most, if not all newer cars). My 06 Pilot does the same, as does my 08 Accord. There is a thread on it in the Pilot forum.
    Honda automatics have always done this. My 92 Accord would roll back in D4, if I was on an incline and released the brake pedal.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Posts: 168
    I went over there and did not see anything on this specific issue. Once a car is in D, it should never ever drift back, even if it's on the side of a mountain. I can tell you from experience this is what started the replacement/recall of my 2001 tranny. I am very disappointed in this car. Even though I don't care for a manual in rush hour traffic, I would gladly take one in a 4DR W/O the VCM.
    The car rolling back while on an incline in drive, does not mean anything is wrong with your transmission. My 92 did it for 140k miles, and the 03 has been doing it for the 53k miles so far. Haven't had one problem with either one. :D
    Thanks Elroy, you wouldn't happen to know where the throttle cable is do you ?
    Any automatic I have driven, from a 3.8L 2001 Mustang to a Lexus GX470 or an Audi 1.8 Cabriolet (8 miles on it, it had the CVT) have drifted back if on an incline. All my Hondas have as well including my 1996 with 180k miles (which I drove today in fact). No transmission problems.

This has nothing to do with a transmission problem.
    Thanks Elroy, you wouldn't happen to know where the throttle cable is do you ?

It's not that simple, unfortunately. It's not the cable going to the Throttle body, and it's pretty complicated. You would have to have a service manual for your car, and my service manual was sold with the car. Sorry :cry: It was probably 10 years ago, when I adjusted mine, and my memory doesn't have all the details (free play etc.).
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    Eventhough the Honda people might say it's normal, the Honda remanufactured one the dealer installed in my 2k V6 doesn't do it. And it performs MUCH better than the original one. Like has been said here before, the original one had a problem figuring out what gear to select when coming to a rolling stop and then having to accelerate. Hard clunking to a lower gear. Just glad Honda had been forced to extend their extended warranty on the tranny. Mine fell out of the original extended warranty but within the second extension.
  • Hi, this is the first time doing this so if I have missed previous answers about this subject sorry. Just bought a used 2006 Honda Accord V-6, I find that the tranny takes time to shift into gear (from d to r) and when shifting into drive. When driving it shift hard at low acceleration and seem to hesitate when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Car has 24000 miles on it. It shifts well under hard acceleration. Has anyone come across this before, should it be something that I should be worried about
  • grampy1grampy1 Posts: 140
    My '07 with 5 k miles lags sometimes shifting from R to D,and vice-versa. I don't have the other issues.
  • Hello everyone,

Just to let you all know who helped me. You were all right. I had to have new Brake Rotors. No transmission problems whatsoever. I again thank you all for the help. The manager at Meineke felt so stupid when i took my brother-in-law with me.

Ladies beware. Don't go to these types of place by yourself. Take some male person with you.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    If their first guess was a transmission instead of warped rotors from your description, I'd find a new shop. :sick:
  • Thanks I changed oil and it seems to have help the problem.
  • I've just skimmed all the posts here, and see that shifting problems are usually described as harsh.

My car does the opposite: from first to second gear, there's a definite absence of power transfer lasting almost a second.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd is better, but still perceptably sloppy. Higher gears are better, hard to tell when the shift takes place.

The Accord has only 4K miles on it. My 98 Camry with 165K miles shifts better.

I've noticed that the Accord shifts crisper if my foot is pushing hard on the accelerator. It's almost as if Honda expects the car to be driven aggressively, and designed the transmission for it.

But I don't want to jackrabbit away from stop lights. Never did, and don't want to start now.

If I take the car in to the dealer, I expect I'll be told "yeah, this is how they all drive." (I bought the car at the dealer with 3500 miles. It shifted like this from Day One. I thought I'd get used to it. Nope.)

Advice, please?

-- Steve
    All I can tell you is that I have car practically identical to yours (06 4 cyl 5AT) and it's 1-2 shift is the worst of them all, but is typically worst when cold. The first shift of the day can be a doozie, but they smooth out as the car warms.

So, skip the dealer trip - "yeah, that's how they all drive." :)
  • Graduate, thanks, and yes, now that you mention it, mine is the same, with the worst shifts when the car is cold. Believe I'll take your advice and learn to live with it.

In over 40 years of car buying, this is the first Honda I've ever had. Almost bought another Toyota, but was captured by the handling of the Accord. Still, it amazes me that my 10-year-old Camry (with 165K miles) shifts better than this new Accord.
    Hey, don't be so amazed. My grandparents have a 1997 Civic that shifts as smooth as my 2006 Accord, while my 1996 Accord feels like a kick in the pants in comparison to either. Who would've thought a Civic would shift better than an Accord of the same vintage? Haha

The good part is that the 4-cyl Honda transmissions are rock-solid.
  • maediebmaedieb Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing an accord wagon - my long sought after dream car. However, the current owner tells me that he had the drive axles replaced -- his mother didn't drive it much and didn't take care of it in the last few years of life. I am ordering an independent inspection but am wondering what this means. Why would drive axles fail at 70K? What other things should be checked on a car not driven much for several years? I know NOTHING about cars and need information translated into "wife-speak"!
    Thank you -- MaedieB