Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Transmission Questions

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    No, haven't had them checked recently, but I'm pretty light on brakes I believe, especially that vehicle. My "in-town" car, the '96 Accord, has 54k on its current set of front pads (original rear shoes after 185k miles!), and it sees much more stop and go than my 2006 Accord, which goes on more highway trips (family 280 miles away gets a visit regularly).

Now that you mention it, I think I did have them checked at the 30k mile service (at 29k). I added that to the list of items that the maintenance minder called for. I can't remember what they told me they had left, but I know they didn't suggest replacement.
  • 91301RAY004 O Ring (Base of container to cannister)
    91302RAY003 Filter Gasket (Interior filter to cannister outlet)
    25450RAY003 ATF Element
    The element is 2 5/8 inches in diameter by 1 3/4 inches high with a pressure relief valve built in for bypass. Shot glass sized and designed to strain out visible debris.
    Order from Majestic on line best. Outrageous local dealer cost but this time only.
    I'll use Magnefine next time pending inspection and beyond warranty. It is larger, has built in magnets and costs less.
  • Completed 11/23/08.
    As advertised nasty because of interference removal.
    Tips: Due to the spider web of bracket connected air and coolant lines air intake, remove intake from air filter/box end. There is enough clearance to wiggle the intake box out. Remove the battery hold down adjacent for box clearance.
    Caution the box has a wire standoff with bolt. Difficult to install and lost the bolt.
    The 6 o'clock filter body bolt has an interference line that can't be moved.
    Helped to have 1/4 inch driver with 10mm socket.
    The banjo bolt outlet from filter has washers both sides - take care not to drop the inner washer. I used a little blue RTV to tack. The outlet line is stiff and was difficult to start the bolt. Careful not to x thread.
    After test drive, I pulled the left side wheel to inspect (most of) the bottom of the filter and cleaned the half pint of dumped ATF from the frame.
    Filter was black at 27.8k miles. Normal. No steel or other debris and that's good.
    Next service 100k for filter with periodic drains to maintain ATF color.
    Has anyone seen the AT line out of the bottom of the radiator driver side? May be more accessible than buried in the engine compartment.
    What was Honda thinking??
  • Best effort and available information from Honda Service Manual is that this transmission doesn't have an ATF cooling system in the radiator. No lines and no schematics and I can't find lines. Cooling is the aluminum tranny and pan. Not a problem for me.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Filter was black at 27.8k miles. Normal. No steel or other debris and that's good.

Your filter was black at only 27.8k miles? I am very interested in the condition of my filter. I just hit 60k miles, and I will be changing the filter over the holidays. I change out three quarts of fluid every 15k miles, so the fluid looks pretty clean to me when I check it. The guy who changed his filter at 100k miles said his filter was solid as a rock. Don't know if he ever changed the fluid though.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Bummer!! I've got 93k on my 02 v6 and don't have the skill set to do the ATF filter change. Let us know how your filter looks,Elroy. 1st NASCAR race 2/7/09.
    I don't know about the filter on the 02 V6. If it's the same, or if it even has one. There seems to be very little information on these things. :confuse:

At least I have Steelers' football to tide me over till the racing starts. :D
  • Rock Auto shows an inline A/T filter for the Gen 6 2002 Accord V6. Majestic doesn't show the same filter arrangement 2002 as it does for 2005 Gen 7. Majestic doesn't show any filter. Check with your Honda parts dealer and ask location. May be buried between subframe and transmission. Rock filter is $26.
  • 99 honda 5-speed transmission
    need help on removal, have removed two top bolts to the left of starter, both cv axles five bolts on bottom, undone fork cable, linkage taken aloose, trans mount on top, motor mount in front bracket bolts on rear of trans. but it is still binding at the top and won't slide out. does anyone have pics or suggestion really need to put clutch in asap
  • I have a year 2001 Honda Accord, currently having 89K miles on it. Lately, I started feeling the car was jerking when automatic gears were changing. On the inspection, it was found that transmission oil was leaking, and the Honda dealer came back with recommending to get the trasmission changed ($3.5K for parts and labor). I am debating what is the best option is

1) Should I get changed with new Honda parts at the dealer? or at AAMCO?
    2) Should I have it changed with new Honda parts, but at a local repairshop?
    3) Should I try to install a USED transmission part at a local repairshop?

#1 is probably most expensive and #3 is probably least. Some links on web suggested with #3 may result in repeated repairs, is that true?

Also any thoughts on value proposition of trading-in the car versus donating it?

Thanks,
    Andy
  • tried starting the car this morning..won't start. Blinking D4 light i think is the problem. Ive been fine driving with it when the light just wouldn't show when it was in D4 gear..All the other gears light up just not that one. But now i believe its the reason i can't start the car..Need help
    I've seen this post in lots of forums... what year is your car? How many miles are on it? 4-cylinder or V6? Does it turn over at all?
    Chances are, your transmission computer is toast. To be sure, you can take the cover off of the computer, and if you see black spots on the circuit board, the capacitors have leaked all over it shorting it out. If you know how to repair circuit boards (there are how-to's on the web), you could fix it, but most people find a used computer from another car. A new computer, from Honda will cost a bundle. The numbers on the replacement computer have to match, and if you buy a used computer, make sure it's good before you pay for it. Another tell-tale sign, is if the D4 light stays on constantly, even when in park.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Mr_Shiftright has replied to you here.
  • my car is a 93 lx 4cylinder..it sounds like its about to start just it won't start.
  • silviodsilviod Posts: 13
    I am thinking of buying a 2001 honda accord I4 cyl. semi loaded, it has 140,000km on it. The couple is trading it in for a Altima 2.5
    The dealer (my cousin) will give it to me for $4500.00. Any suggestions on this model?
    i have a 89 accord and its great i have 360,000 on it and it keeps going.

Should i get the extended warranty or not? I hear the newer models are not soo great. True or false?

Thank you

Sil
    Sounds like a good price to me, assuming the car is in good condition with a clean title. There is also a prices-paid forum for Honda Accords if you search the threads; more people there might could help you make a decision.
  • jeneyjeney Posts: 9
    Are you aware Honda had a major recall on the Accord 2001 Automatic Transmission. They replaced my transmission at no cost to me at about 60K miles. You should check to see if you are covered under this warranty before spending any money on it.
    Did a vin check and everything is ok. No issues with honda canada.
    Did a VIN checkand called honda canada and they said there was no recalls on the tranny. They just replace the SRS sensor for free and thats it

One thing i noticed, the when i start the car the driving lights come on(perfect) but the high beam lights is on too, is that common?????

silvio
  • HEy guys, LOL don't laugh. I bought the honda accord 2001, but I can't find the ash tray LMAOOO i know its dumb. Was it an option in 2001? Even the lighter is not in the car. God i feel dumb asking this question
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I'm not exactly sure when they stopped (sounds like as far back as 2001) but Accords don't have ashtrays and lighters any longer.
  • Starting in 2010, Accords no longer have glove box or ambient lights either. More cost-cutting. Thanks, Honda ---- for nothin'.
    I'm quickly learning that my '06 Accord will be my last.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    The GENVIII I test drove (con cuatro cylindros Senor) - altho the same $23.4 price as my 6M when new in 2005 - really did not have the same fuel economy AND performance persona.

Looks like I'll be saving my USNR bread for the eventual timing belt/water pump/plugs/valve adjust expense...............maybe $1200?

Yeah, I like the 6M. (What's - IMHO - not to like?)

ez....
  • Dealer installed options, both the ashtray and lighter in 2001. For the gen8 Accord, the ashtray is a cup style that uses the one cup holder.

Here is a source with a nice picture - you can see that the ashtray replaces a piece of dash trim from the looks of it:
    http://tasauto.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=2877711

another source:
    http://www.ahfmotorsports.com/product/ahfcat-05d.html

It looks like there may be some minor installation required.

H and A doesn't list it anymore for the 2001 year.
  • "Starting in 2010, Accords no longer have glove box or ambient lights either. More cost-cutting. Thanks, Honda ---- for nothin'."

My 03 Pilot lacked the ambient lights while my wife's 09 Accord has them. Finding the garage door button in the dark is much easier/nicer than with the Pilot. We had commented how much nicer. I know it is a small thing but small things add up. Not such a good move on Honda's part eliminating the lights on the 10. It seems like an unreasonable thing for them to do to me. Also, I would like memory seats and a little more quietness (09 is not terrible but not the best) but no, Honda knows best. Hopefully, more/better competition will cause them to wise up.
  • The only car I want is an Accord. A few days ago I found the perfect car - 2000 Accord Coupe EX V6 and was just about to buy when I found about all the transmission problems, recalls and lawsuits.

How common is this really? A mechanic told me that between 1998-2002 it was as high as 30% with the V6 models.

However, on www.hondaproblems.com it says that 2003 was the worst year for transmission failure.

So I am now looking at a 2004 (which I don't like as much as the 2000) but still reading about transmission recalls.

On edmunds.com it says the Accord is the most reliable car ever made but from all the stuff I've read it really doesn't sound like it.

I really want an Accord but confused and concerned about transmission problems so if anyone can clear this up it would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • I have a 2002 LX automatic, 4-cyl. Bought it new and have 190000 miles on it and have never spent a dime on it. Runs and shifts like new.

I also have a 2000 SE auto, 4-cyl that I bought used in 2005 with 82,000 miles on it. The transmission went at 89,000. I read online Honda was replacing them so I called the local dealer and they put a brand new one in free. They told me Honda was warranting 2000 and 2001 models for 100,000 miles and 10 years. That car now has 160,000 on it and it's never had another problem.

I don't know if they offered the transmission warranty on later models.

As far as general reliability goes, I've owned 6 Accords ( 3 new and 3 used) since the early 80's and put an average of 175,000 miles on them before trading or selling and the transmission in the 2000 is the only major repair I've had. In fact, I've never had an engine related repair. Never had an oil leak.

What I read about the current model and brakes concerns me, as I'm in the mood for a new one now, but in my experience with previous models they are almost unbreakable.

Not sure any of that helps you but I wish you good luck.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 179
    It's no secret that Honda has had a bunch of troubles with their automatic transmissions for many years now. However, there have been no safety issues, so Honda has done their best to keep things swept under the carpet--no recalls, etc. The flip side is that they usually take care of transmission problems when they arise, in some cases even if the warranty has expired.

This doesn't mean that they are ALL bad, nor that any one type of vehicle has more problems than others. It's a bit of a crap shoot when you are buying a used car, but there is one saving grace. If you take the VIN number to the service dept in any Honda dealer, they can look up the vehicle's history and tell you whether or not the transmission has been repaired or replaced. Perhaps that may ease your concern or perhaps not, as there's still no guarantte that the vehicle you happen to buy won't have it's transmission fail as soon as you leave the dealer.

BTW- Most Toyotas are not much better.

Good luck and do your homework. ;)