Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Transmission Problems

Comments

• rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    One of the bigger problems with dealer service these days is that if the cars computer doesn't tell them what is wrong, they aren't capable of determining what is wrong. Even then, fixing things are a gamble. As everything is pretty much controlled by the cars computer, odds are, either the computer or the programing is the issue, but good luck on convincing the dealer on that. I have a 2012 SE and haven't had any problems, but I have a rule about NEVER EVER buying the first year model. Good luck. I hope they figure out your problems.
  • Was your problem fixed? I also am having the problem with the shifting and the gear lights not illuminating. I will try to shift from park to reverse, it totally skips reverse, clunks into neutral. I have noticed if i turn car off, then on again, it relieves the problem, but this may only be temporary. let us know if your switch replacement solved it. i have 22,000 miles.
  • I have a 2011 Sonata, which at 22,000 miles exhibited intermittent trans problems - it was rough in reverse, then failed to downshift at stop going forward. On start-up, the transmission appered to slip. The manual override was inoperable, and the transmission setting did not appear in the box in the center of the speedometer.

THERE IS A FIX!

My dealer's service department knew exactly what was wrong when I described the problem, and replaced a transmission range switch. It took about half hour and after 2 weeks I have not experienced that problem again.

I love my Sonata - it is the most comfortable, most efficient, and best performing car I have had in recent years, and it was inexpensive.
  • See reply #268 by Audie 003
  • You should probably try slowing down. On my worst day I average 25 in my TURBO Sonata. Usually I average around 31 miles per gallon. I average 39 miles per gallon on the highway. You shouldn't blame the car for driver error.
  • i have the same problems exactly... when i hit the gas at overdrive the car accelerate only at high rpm arounf (5000-5200) rpm the shift up..
    what is the problem???
  • It is a problem I also have with my 2010 Sonata.

It is caused by a "bug" in the software for the transmission controller. I just happen to have worked for years in designing vehicle controllers, so the dealer was not able to pull a fast one on me (but they tried).

What happens is the transmission's microcontroller software creates what is called "loookup tables" that are stored numbers (variables) based on your driving characteristices - how fast you accelerate, how hard you brake, etc...

Then the transmission shifting characteristics are "tweaked" by these values. The controller is suppose to update these values regularily based on driver characteristics.

You should notice this the most after a long trip when coasting at higher speeds on the freeway.

Your car is not updating correctly. This should not be happening - Tell them the controller needs reflashing.

Sorry to say it may be a lifelong problem, due to its design. So also call Hyundai and make sure they have this documented as it is covered under warranty. If you don't get it documented later they will deny it is a problem.
  • thank you my friend for the reply...
    you are right i went 2 days ago to a mechanic to check the problem he said its not the first sonata had this problem..he`s just reseted the gear box and told me to keep fuel the car with low octane fuel,idont know why :confuse: !!?

i hope Hyundai take in consideration this problem and try fix it or it will hit them back hard.

thanx again
  • I just got a call yesterday that there is a software update for the tranny on my 2011 Sonata SE-I have not had any problems but they called me to ask when i could bring it in-so they know there are problems out there for sure-
  • mwagner1001mwagner1001 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I just purchased a used 2011 Sonata with 22,000km's on it and have had it for less than 2 weeks ... On the way into work this morning I was on the highway and the car was on cruise control doing 110km/h when all of a sudden it felt like I hit a cinder-block and the rpm's increased by 2000. This was quite a scary feeling! I believe what happened (not that I'm a mechanic) is that suddenly the gears went from 5th gear down to 2nd in an instant. Even when I slowed down to stop at a set of traffic lights - the gear seemed to be stuck in 2nd and when I come to a complete stop and then accelerate, it was still stuck in the same gear. No warning lights appeared on the dash-board. I tried shifting the gears in the manual mode, setting the car in park and then drive, reverse, then drive.... The only thing that seemed to re-calibrate the gears back to their normal functioning seemed to be turning the car completely off and then re-starting it.....

If this were a "one-off" occurrence, we could live with it, but the fact that it happened twice within a 5 day span tells me that there is something more that required attention. (the first time it happened, I was driving back from a cottage with my wife and 2 year old in the car).

I took the car back to Hyundai and they've had it for more than 2 days now.... Hyundai have said that they cannot find any issues in the programming of the car and so they've referred the issue to Hyundai Canada who are trying to trouble-shoot remotely. In the meantime, I'm left without transportation and with an out-of-province family trip coming up in 3 days, it doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling towards the dealer who sold me the car, the car itself or Hyundai.
  • I went to my dealer on Monday to have the tranny reprogrammed as they asked and after it was done, I would try to shut the car off and it would keep asking me to put it in park-this happened after I went to a store and came out and restarted it. Also, the immobilizer alaert light ont he dash kept showing up and the chimes kept going off for whatever reason. Okay back tot he dealer and they siad it was the neutral safety swithc and it was too late to install it so back yesterday morning, they take it apart and they call me out to the shop to show me some white stuff near where the switch is located and asked me if i spilled anything in there-I said nope and it looked like sugar but since I am diabetic it wasn;t that and I have never spilled anything in there. Also, the horn shorted out after the tranny reprogramming-What a mess but it is okay now-the dealer was helpful though i have to say that much for them-
  • I bought my Sonata new & after 2,000 miles it developed exactly the same problem .........after computer replaced once and transmission twice, did again & this time I threatened personal injury lawsuit as my grand-dauhgter with me & slammed forward so violently she developed headaches. Hyundai America finally gave me a brand new car. Only 1 problem with it after 7,000 miles & not like this problem. Is your car dark blue? It may be my old car. I call her "Christine" after the novel by Sthephen King of Bangor, Maine.
  • I will never buy a Hyundai again. So far I have had it in to get something fixed over 8 times and it is barely two years old.

I guess the red flag was withing two days of having it I noticed a nice and shiny black nut on the ground where I park it, the dealer found out where it came off in the engine compartment.

A piece of interior trim was found under the driver's seat which had to have been there before I bought it.

Then within the first month the driver's seat belt would not latch and had to be replaced.

I've had it in several times for the transmission which turned out each time to be software.

They had to replace a bad Brake Switch, The ESP "off" light kept coming on its own

The light switch went bad on the passenger's mirror which they replaced

The last caper is the low tire pressure light comes on even if the tires are OK. Makles you freak thinking you are about to get stuck in traffic when all is OK.

Hyundai built a lemon and it has cost me a lot of time and expense to bring it back to the dealership 45 miles each time, and they are notthe best as several times it had to go back to get it fixed right.

You can not depend on Hyundai for quality.
  • I just had exactly same experience with my 2011 Sonata at 19,000 miles. Driving on the highway, I thought and it felt like I had suddenly hit something, jarred my head so bad my teeth hurt. I looked at the gauges and saw that I was running at close to 5000 rpm, not the usual 2000.
    I pulled over, tried to put the car in park, neutral, reverse, used the manual shifter, nothing would get it to shift gears. The indicator by the shifter showed that the tranny was in drive, but it was clearly in 2nd gear. I drove another 10 miles, then turned the engine off. Waited 10 minutes and turned it back on and everything seemed fine, except my massive headache from the jolt. Very scary, thinking about trading it in.
  • :lemon: :lemon: Don't trade it in, file a report with the NTSHB they need to know about the lemons Hyundai is selling. From what I have neen reading, they are becoming unsafe to drive. I see a class action lawsuite may be coming to wake Hyundai up!!

I had my car back in again two weeks ago for the fourth time for the transmission and last night it started acting up again on the way back from a trip. So far it has been in the dealership oiver 10 times and it is barely 2 years old!

Just do a google on Hyundai Sonata's transmission problems and you will find out this is becoming very, very common.

I can not afford to keep bringing it back into the dealership as it cost me time off from work, lost money and lost time. And I am sure Hyundai hates having to pay for all the repeat repairs.

The unecessary costs having to keep bringing it back in so regularily is really adding to the cost of the car. I figure if you buy a Hyundai, add an additional 10% to the cost of the car for all the time and money you will spend bringing it back in for repairs. In my case my hyundai is costing me and additional $2,500.00.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    if you do further research it is not just a Hyundai transmission problem-Honda, Acura, Toyota, etc have their fair share of problems. We owned a 03 sonata, bought new 11/02. It started with the transmission problem with less than 100 miles. The transmission was finally replaced at about 4,000 miles. We traded the sonata in Nov. 04 for a 05 elantra with manual transmission. We then traded the elantra in July '10 for a '11 sonata with manual transmission. The elantra had over 100,000 problem free miles. The sonata now has 25,000+ miles. We decided to avoid automatic transmission vehicles. I think the transmission supplier should be investigated.
  • My 2011 Sonata is unreliable – Major disappointment and total let down!

Here is the letter that I wrote to Hyundai that gives a summary of the issues that I have experienced with my 2011 Sonata.

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I am writing you today to express my total dissatisfaction with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited.
    At the beginning of 2010, I was so excited to hear the rave reviews about the new 2011 Sonata and could not wait for it to hit the market. I loved the sleek and sporty styling, the excellent fuel economy and the added technology features that were to be available with the car. Once the cars hit the market, I was one of the first to buy one in my area.
    I purchased the car on 2/20/10. Within 2 weeks of purchasing the car, the car would not start. It was finally determined that there was a faulty brake switch that caused the push to start button not to work.
    Over the past 18 months, this same issue has occurred more times than I can count. My car will not start and I am inconvenienced and left looking at a beautiful car that will not function and is not meeting my basic needs. I have had my brake switch replaced 4 times and the problem continues to reoccur.
    This is a major issue. One expects for his or her new car to start reliably. I have researched on the internet and I am not the only person having this issue.
    Yesterday, 10/11/11, my car would not start again! I cannot keep this car if I cannot count on it to start. Once again, I will have to take it in to be serviced and be inconvenienced.
    In addition to not starting, the driver side window is malfunctioning, the traction light will not go out, the xm radio works intermittently, and the low tire light will not go out even though I have had the tire pressure checked 3 times.
    I see all of your commercials on TV expressing the pride that you take in your vehicles. What can you do to fix this issue? A new car should be reliable. My car is a total lemon! I was really expecting much more. Please contact me to discuss.
  • I have had exactly the same problems with my 2011 Sonata. It won't start. Have had brake sensor replaced. Also, a couple of times it started but there was no display where it usually tells you what gear it is in. I have also had a couple of times when it seemed like my driver's side window was not going to go back up! Wow, my garage/dealer acts like I am crazy but I am glad to know I am not crazy. I love the looks of the Sonata but I think a new car should start EVERY TIME! I have around 20K miles on it!
  • alexkprojtalexkprojt Posts: 11
    edited October 2011
    If you have had it in several times and they have not been able to fix it you are probably covered under the lemon law. They would then have to buy it back and compensate you. Check the laws in your state.

Also make sure to tell Hyundai what a piece of junk they have scammed you with, call their consumer affairs at (800) 633-5151.

If his creates a safety problem report it with the NHTSA, otherwise make sure you also file with the BBB
  • ridohuridohu Posts: 1
    Wow! I bought a 2011 Sonata. I only have 5k on it. I bought it for the turbo and the power. If this is what I have to look forward to then I may as well trade it in on American products. If you have an issue with a preignition sound then take it to hyundai. It is the turbo actuator rod rattling around. Kind of makes your car sound like a piece of crap to anyone with their windows rolled down.I work as a diesel mechanic and know how turbos are suppose to act and sound. Hyundai will say the problem is normal due to extreme heat.
    Well it does not get much hotter than Oklahoma summers of 105 plus and my self driving. I also keep getting recall after recall in the mail. I guess no one tests their products before producing them like General Motors in the 80's. I also have a 2006 Honda Accord which has posed no issues except a bad batch of batteries from the manufacturer.

The warranty is only as good as the manufacturer who produced the vehicle.

I may just trade this thing in after all and just wash my hands of it. I expected more from Hyundai. I actually expected it to be like my Honda.