Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Transmission Problems

1121314151618»

Comments

• Best I can figure is that I messed up the computer by taking it out of drive at stop lights, thinking that I'd save the clutch and maybe the computer did some funky drive-habits average thing that screwed it up. Or it was the cold, or both. We'll see if it does it again this winter (bit warmer where I'm at now though, Austin TX v Las Cruces, NM.)
  • Best I can figure is that I messed up the computer by taking it out of drive at stop lights, thinking that I'd save the clutch and maybe the computer did some funky drive-habits average thing that screwed it up. Or it was the cold, or both. We'll see if it does it again this winter (bit warmer where I'm at now though, Austin TX v Las Cruces, NM.)
  • Yes , the dealer replaced the transmission pressure control solenoid per TSB 13-AT-008.The parts are as follows,FP part 46313-3B600 valve solenoid,46374-3B000 valve pressure co,ATF 00232-19045 .I had 35000 miles at the time of this service and drove an additional 4000 miles after the service without any further problems. I researched the problem online and all symptoms pointed to the electrical control of the transmission. I am glad I pressed the dealer to check this theory, as they couldn't duplicate the problem when I visited the dealer.I was really concerned about the downshift occurring while driving in heavy traffic and possibly being in an accident or ruining the transmission. Bob
  • There are 2 speed sensors underneath the air filter. I first changed the output speed sensor because it was easier to get to. The problem persisted. I then changed out the input speed sensor - fixed the problem. Google Hyundai speed sensor locations to see views. The input sensor goes down into tranny so be careful to vacuum the area around it clean prior to removal and be careful not to drop anything into hole. Having read how many people spent 1000's on tranny rebuilds, the $80 or so for each sensor seems to be a bargain! (I also ordered the sensor on line at advanced auto which gave me a discount & also enabled me to pick it up at my local store an hour after ordering.) Peace & Blessings.
  • joto1000joto1000 Posts: 22
    Figured out my harsh shifting issue in my 2013 sonata. It was the transmission fluid temp sensor going out. It took a full month to throw a code. For your reading pleasure...

The profound effect a malfunctioning transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor can have in some vehicles is seen with Hyundai models equipped with the A4A/B or F4A40/50 series transmissions. The malfunctioning TFT sensor produces harsh engagements, a hard 1-2 upshift, a flare on the 2-3 shift, no 4th gear and no converter clutch apply. In some cases, such as Volkswagen vehicles with the 01M transmission, this malfunctioning sensor will not produce a trouble code, yet could cause harsh and flared shifts.
    Figured out my harsh shifting issue in my 2013 sonata. It was the transmission fluid temp sensor going out. It took a full month to throw a code. For your reading pleasure...

The profound effect a malfunctioning transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor can have in some vehicles is seen with Hyundai models equipped with the A4A/B or F4A40/50 series transmissions. The malfunctioning TFT sensor produces harsh engagements, a hard 1-2 upshift, a flare on the 2-3 shift, no 4th gear and no converter clutch apply. In some cases, such as Volkswagen vehicles with the 01M transmission, this malfunctioning sensor will not produce a trouble code, yet could cause harsh and flared shifts.
    Correction...it took a full two months for a problem code to appear. Wondering what other kinds of transmission problems this has created.
  • My husband and I both have 4 cyl Sonatas bought within 3 months of each other and were new. At 35,000 my husband's car began to "jerk" at 45mph to 50 mph. Stopped at a higher speed. The tach needle never moved during the jerking. He took it to the dealer, they couldn't find a code so nothing was wrong. At 60,000 he took it to another dealer who couldn't find a code, but did change fluid. Stopped the problem temporarily. My car was in the shop last week for exact same issue. Kept it a week. Were reluctanct to change the fluid as I have 50,000 miles on car. They did change it and the problem has stopped. If it's like my husband's, it will come back shortly. Found two TSB referencing problems, but was told they didn't apply to my car, but I can't see the full bulletin. We both have case files started with Hyundai. Any suggestions? Severely disappointed with our cars and the dealership.
    I'd have them check the transmission fluid temperature sensor. My 2013 Sonata did not throw a code for two full months.
  • I too had no engine code come up as a result of the 2011 sonata harsh downshift at highway speed (65)mph.TSB had a code number TSB 13-AT-008 that the dealer referred to and that fixed the problem in my case.
  • just_focusjust_focus CincinnatiPosts: 29
    My wife has a 2012 Sonata Limited and since day one when you push on the gas gently the car has a vibration or grunting sound. I took it back but it never does it for the dealership. They did put a clamp on the gas line to the fuel injectors but that made no difference. This problem is very annoying and I will not buy another Hyundai unless they can figure this out soon. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
  • I have an 09 and it did it at about 49K and it was the ground bundle for the transmission control felt like a stuck valve body or a broken band.

and the ECM Prom update will help diagnostics in the future it can happen over and over due to vibration according to the dealer-- why because locktight cannot be used to keep the faster stable it would cause resistance in the system and error codes up the ying yang
    best of luck yall and drive safe
  • the air intake has a water catch for driving in inclimate weather it may be loose or disengaged and can make the grunting sound you are hearing check it out under the primary air intake...
  • just_focusjust_focus CincinnatiPosts: 29
    Xenmechanic:
    Thanks for your help. I am taking the Sonata back next week and the dealer said he needs it all day. Hopefully they can fix it this time. I will show them your posts.
  • I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same issues as I am with my 2013 Sonata 2.4L? Ever since my trasmission temperature sensor went out at 11,000 miles there has been a persistant clicking/ knocking noise against my gear shift mainly when I'm stopped. Occassionally, I will hear and feel it while I'm driving. This knocking noise can actually be heard 30 minutes after my car has been turned off as well. Not sure what it is, but afraid to take it back into the dealer cause I do not trust them one iota after all the issues I've been having. Thoughts?
  • Hi these are the prices I am getting for 2013 and 2014. I have decided to go with 2013.
    2013: Internet Price** $25,079.00
    Destination & Handling $830.00

2014: Internet Price** $25,965.00
    Destination & Handling $830.00

This price is with AHFC only. grad and military rebate are extra. I am in MD. Only for in stock vehicle. colors available are kona coffee, white, black and twilight blue and polished metal. I like the prices.