Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Transmission Problems

Comments

• colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    Although this addresses old posts - let's please put the question on ATF for use in Hyundai's, Kia's, and Mitsubishi's to rest once and for all. These three corporations require SP-III ATF, not SP-III approved, or SP-III equivalent fluids. There is no direct substitute or equivalent SP-III on the market. Regardless what Valvoline, or any other companies claim, unless you use Hyundai, Kia, or Mitsubishi brand SP-III ATF in your automatic transmission, your warranty is null and void on any transmission failures. This is direct from Hyundai corporate. The Hyundai and Kia automatic transmissions are built under license from Mitsubishi, and again, if you use anything other than SP-III, you're out-of-luck on substantiating any warranty claims should an automatic transmission problem develop within the 100K/10 year powertrain warranty period.

Don't try to save a few dollars per quart on ATF, just buy the real stuff!
  • sellcarsellcar Posts: 21
    No one has changed the transmission fluid in this car, it still has the factory fluid.
  • The lag betwen 1st and 2nd is normal. Another member changed his fluid with a Castrol ATF fluid, can't remember which one, and he said it made the car shift a lot smoother. Mine does this and has since I've owned it. I'm close to a trans fluid change so will see what happens then.
  • What's wrong with the factory fluid?
    Thanks for the info. I just wanted to know if any other people with a :) Hyundai Sonata 2008 2.4 L & Automatic Transmission have the same transmission shifting like mine.
  • just remember it's not just the 08's. NF owners have this annoyance. Most if not all I've talked to.
  • Directly from the owners manual.
    Your Hyundai automatic transaxle is specially designed to operate with
    HYUNDAI GENUINE ATF SP III, DIAMOND ATF SP III, SK ATF SP
    III or other brands meeting the SP III specification approved by Hyundai Motor Co..

Now how you interpet that is up to you. I read it as they are saying a fluid that meets the SP III specification that Hyundai approves for use in their transmissions, not that Hyundai has to specifically approve an aftermarket manufacturer. But since I only have 19,000 miles on my car and have 31,000 miles (approx 11 months for me) to go before I begin to think about doing a flush and fill I have time to wait and see what happens.
    I do sell Amsoil and they make a ATF that they say meets the SP III specification along with the Castrol product I saw on a store shelf this weekend and like has been said on here and other forums some people have changed out to other fluids and we will see how it goes for them. I am not having a problem currently with my transmission and hope not to but when I do change out my trans fluid I will base my decision off of a cost basis, i.e. Hyundai labled ATF, cause they do not make it do they, or one of the other ATF's out there. I can't believe Castrol, Amsoil, or any other manufacture would be selling a product that they say meets the SP III and it did not. The lawsuits would sink them rather quick and if you did use the Amsoil ATF and it ended up destroying your transmission and it was the fluid that caused the problem they would either pay for the repair or replacement of the transmission. I would think Castrol would also be required to do the same since they say SP III right on the bottle.
  • hytechhytech Posts: 5
    try to have the dealer reset the adaptive values for the trans i have seen quite a few at the shop most of the time the porters like to drive rough when the vechicle is on the lot and the trans computer learns improperly, have the dealer reset the adaptive values and drive it for a few miles the way u normally do,shut the car down key out off ign. for about a minute and drive the vechicle again, shut down again,after a few min drive and you should see improved shifts if the dealer dont do it disconnect battery for about 10 min and then drive but the scanner way is the best way . good luck .fluid is most likely not an issue and hyundai fluid is strongly recommended since other types are mixed with multiple additives to work with various transmissions which may prematurely wear clutch pack material
  • I bought my 4 cyl. Sonata Limited 8 days ago and noticed the shutter at around 25 MPH where car is already in 4th gear with RPMs at a little over 1! Causes a rumbling noise and vibration felt in steering wheel and whole car. Complained to dealer and they reported that they are aware of this problem and Hyundai working on software fix that tells transmission when to shift. They did not know when est. date of arrival is for fix. I am upset as they knew about this problem and never mentioned in new car sales discussion.

What have others heard?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    The car is lugging. Until you get the fix, try giving the pedal a little push to nudge the car into a lower gear at low speed. Alternately, you could put the shifter into manual shift mode when at low speed.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    if the trans is in 4th gear already at 25 mph there is definately a shift stategy problem the shudder is probably the torque converter clutch being applied at such a low speed and the trans is unable to keep it applied due to the low speed. i would suggest a trip back to the dealer for a pcm/tcm reflash
    I have a Hyundai 2008 Sonata 4cyl with an automatic transmission and my 4 gear shift is at 30MPH is this correct? also, somedays the car seems to have more power then others. I also noticed that the car sometimes (not all the time) jerks and surges while pressing and letting go of the gas peddle. Anyone have an answer to this question? This is my first Hyundai and I don't know if there is a problem with it or if its normal. Please let me know!
  • 06thomas06thomas Posts: 1
    i've installed a intake in my 06 v6 sonata i've been having the same issue seems like the car revs higher with me it happends most while in reverse i've asked the tech about it and he said that is partly to do with the electronic throttle added with the extra air making the computer think more air more gas sounds to me like a glitch in the computer mapping or its more addaptive then they thought speaking in terms of the mfg
    Re: 2008 Sonata shift error? My car is a 4 cyl and it has not been touched by anyone and no other parts were added to upgrade it.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Posts: 420
    1. 4th at 30 mph....yes. Mine shifts to 4th at 28 MPH. Others have posted this. Even heard some V6 folks state the same.
    2. Jerks and surges.....is this when it is cold? If so, yes. Depends on what you call J&S. Mine does it when it is cold. Has since purchase. Others have posted this too.
  • ms090870ms090870 Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Sonata. The car have been incredible as far as dependability and economics. This car has 97000 miles on it and in the entire time that I have owned the car, the only work that I have had to do to this car is to replace a rear wheel hub. So needless to say I extremely happy with my car and will purchase an other car from Hyundai the next time I purchase a new car.

I am currently having the following problem and would appreciate any info that anyone might be able to provide.

My transmission has recently begun to "stick" in 1st or 2nd gear. When it finally shifts (after the RPM'S rev up) I have lost 1st gear and overdrive and my check engine light will be on. Once I kill the car and restart it is perfectly fine.

Please let me know if you have experienced this or something like it and what was needed to correct the problem.

Thank you
  • hyundai03ihyundai03i Posts: 1
    II recently bought this car and noticed it was shifting funny into third and forth. At first didn't think much just thought maybe it needed a fluid change so I took it in. The car has 32,000 miles on it. When they pulled the plug it was covered it metal very bad. The transmission needed to be pulled to find out it had a cracked drum and it ruined the entire transmission. Has anyone heard of this happening before or how could it have been caused.
  • ronylalaronylala Posts: 16
    2008 Sonata transmission shiftif you have a problem with the automatic transmission (at 40-50MPH), please contact me via my e-mail---- rlewitinn@gmail.com.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Why not post here why you are asking our members to compromise their privacy by emailing you? Perhaps we can work out what's on your mind without needing anyone to do that?
  • ronylalaronylala Posts: 16
    i have a problems with my car i just pruches 5 month ago. i have a replacment car and the same problem on that car also...trying to see if that's a lemon case.

also found here that some customers had the same issue.