Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab's advertising off the mark

2»

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,701
    What year did Saab, get really involved with making cars safe ????? Was that in the early 80's ?

Saab was involved in Auto safety as far back as the 50s. The floor-mounted ignition key was a safety feature as it was less likely to injure you in a crash (keys usually protruded from the dash then). My friend's Dad bought a Saab 96 around 1958 or '59 and it had something we'd never seen in a car not built for racing-- seat belts. They weren't just lap belts either, they had a separate shoulder strap.

Saab was not the first w seat belts and other safety innovations but they were never more than a half step behind Mercedes and Volvo.

I guess "almost as safe as a Volvo" wouldn't make a great slogan. :P

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• "Good thing Mitsubishi or BMW didn't take up the airplane angle"

BMW does not push it in ads, but the blue and white badge is a stylized propeller symbolizing WW I engines they manufactured.
  • The three cylinder, two stroke engines were gutsy, with lots of torque for off the line jumps. In Sweden they used to take off the tires and race them on frozen lake using larger rims with studs welded on. I think this is how Eric Carlsson got started in racing.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,410
    Oh, they were! Saabs have always been insanely interesting cars. Too bad they have turned into badge engineered Opels. Turning a Saturn into an Opel is great. Not so Saabs.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Same w/ Mitsu.
    the 3 diamonds are a stylized 3 blade prop.

Mercedes also built aircraft engines
2»
This discussion has been closed.