Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Volvo XC70/V70

Comments

• bakarbakar Posts: 4
    Can anyone help me.
    I have a weird thing going on. My Volvo XC70 seems to loose memory of seats/mirrors adjustments. Sometimes it does work perfectly and sometimes it looks like the computer looses all memory settings. I went to volvo dealer but they could not find a problem. This thing looks like is random and I cannot track any dependence either I shut down the engine or reset everything. I was wondering if anybody has the same problem. I know it does not seem to be a big deal but it's annoying that I paid for something which works occasionally.
    Many thanks for any help or suggestion.
  • No it wont get a V8 and in fact you wont see a turbo in it either. They are thinking of putting a turbo 3.0 in th 09's probably around november if they decide to do it. and the hp on the 3.2 is 235.
  • I just saw an '08 XC in the flesh at a local dealer. It wasn't compelling. Sure the interior is nicer and the powertrain better but I fear that Volvo fell into the same trap as Jaguar. They didn't change the design enough. The re-styled all alu '04 on up XJ sedan hasn't sold well despite impeccable reliability ratings because it wasn't seen as a fresh start. I don't think that the '08 Volvo XC is going to sell well against the increased competition in this market segment for the same reason. At 50 feet only a car nut could tell the difference between an old style XC and the new '08. This is not going to be a happenning event.

My suggestion would be to pick up a new '07 at a great price and be happy you didn't get suckered into paying the introductory price for the new style XC.
  • I drove the car the other day. Dealer sure has a lot of them in stock. In any case the ride is firm but compliant. I'm still not convinced that the car is quick enough for me, though. It's lots better than that 208hp turbo slug but coming from a Saab 9-5 V6 turbo the XC70 still seems like it can't get out of it's own way.

Also the current rendition is not available with HID headlights. Volvo tells me they'll be available on later production models.
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    I suppose this is powered by the naturally aspirated 3.2L inline-6, rated at 235 hp. This ought to be plenty powerful, but you'd expect it to be fairly fuel efficient. In short--a competent, practical premium 4WD wagon.

But the Edmunds site gives this data. This fuel use is disappointing to me. My 2004 V70 (base 168hp NA I5 5A) was rated at 22/30 mpg city/hwy. I get that and more on the highway and about that in the city.

"Fuel Tank Capacity: 18.5 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: : 15 mpg / 22 mpg
    Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: 277.5 mi. / 407 mi."

This fuel use is about what we get in my wife's 2007 XC90 3.2 2WD.
    The difference in the mpg values between my 04 V70 and the 08 XC70 is not as great as I claimed above because EPA changed the calculation procedure for the mpg figures.

2004 FWD V70 168hp I5 5A
    New EPA MPG city/combined/hwy 19/22/28
    Old EPA MPG city/combined/hwy: 22/25/30

The 08 XC70 uses 27% more fuel to go the same distance as the 04 V70 base model. The extra fuel goes into higher ground clearance, AWD, and an engine which is 40% more powerful and smoother running.
  • I did it yesterday - finally drove the new V70. Here are my findings:
    pros - extremely comfortable and upscale feeling (finally has a refined feel to it), looks like it was made well. The seats are amazing - better than in my 07 XC70. Standard stereo vastly improved over the HU-650.

cons - and this is a deal breaker - the engine is NOT prowerful. In fact I had to get back in my 07 with 2.5T for comparison and the turbo deffinately has more get up and go. The 08 sounded strained when pushed hard and acted leisurely when called upon. NO thanks, Volvo made a mistake with this engine (IMO). The T6 is much needed in this vehicle.

However when all is said and done the real issue is efficiency - the gas mileage figures seemed to have gone south on the 08's. Don't know if this is reflected by the new government reporting but the 08 V70/XC70 seem to be thirsty and that is NOT a good thing. My next car must get great mileage as we are all going to be in a hurting mess anyway when the economy tanks and fuel costs continue to surge.
    My XC70 won't be worth crap by then.

Oh well,......
    According to the specs the 08 V70/XC70 should not be underpowered compared to your 07 XC70 2.5T. The naturally aspirated 3.2L I6 has a higher max hp rating (235 hp vs 208 hp) and the same max torque rating (236 ft*lb at 3200 rpm vs. 236 ft*lb at 1500 rpm for the 2.5T, according to Edmunds). The fact that the 2.5T makes its torque at a much lower rpm (according to the Edmunds specs) may make the 2.5T seem more powerful.

Of course, the 2008 XC70 is 400 lb heavier than the 2007 (4092 lb vs 3675 lb curb weights). The 08 has a slightly longer WB, but the Edmunds specs have it that the turning circle has been reduced to 37.7 ft from 43.3 ft in the 07! This is a terrific improvement.

The engine in the 2008 V70/XC70 and XC90 is the new Volvo designed/Ford manufactured naturally aspirated 3.2L inline 6. This is the so called "short inline six" so named because it is the same overall length as the Volvo I5. In the 3.2L I6 the positions of the serpentine belt driven accessories (water pump, a/c, p/s, etc.) have been moved from the usual position on the front of the engine to the side (alternator now driven by gears rather than a belt) and back (other accessories driven by a serpentine belt). The 3.2 has a timing chain, which might last the lifetime of the engine, rather than the timing belt in the Volvo 5-cyl engines.

My wife has an 07 XC90 3.2 2WD (curb wt 4400 lb, 400 lb more than the 08 XC70 ) and there is plenty of acceleration for her and me. I understand that eventually the I6 will be offered in one or maybe two turbocharged versions to produce about 300 hp and presumably a whiplash inducing torque curve for those who want it.

The EPA mileage figures (new version) for the 08 XC70 are 15/22 mpg, which are not great. In the old version of the EPA mpg ratings these would probably each be about 2 to 4 mpg higher. These are not as good as the mpg values in a Subaru Outback, but that is a smaller and lighter vehicle.

I drive a 2004 base model FWD V70 with the naturally aspirated 2.4L 5-cyl rated at 168 hp with the 5-speed auto, and this is plenty powerful enough for me. The curb wt is about 3400 lb. The 04 EPA ests for fuel economy were 22/30 mpg (old version, new version about 19/28 or so), and lightly loaded on the interstate more than once I have gotten over 34 mpg at close to 70 mpg in the summer by driving conservatively. However, the 04V70 has low ground clearance and is 2WD. A fairly heavy, AWD vehicle with over 8 inches of ground clearance is not going to get great fuel ecomomy on pavement. But my 04 V70 is not good on rough, potholed dirt and gravel roads. I have scraped the bottom more than once by try to take it on such roads.
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I am looking at this car as well but have not driven yet. Won't be in the market until spring/summer or until Canadian prices come more in line with US. They are already starting the incentives on most Volvos.

I any case, I think Volvo made a mistake in not putting a turbo in this car. Despite the specifications, the turbo engines just feel faster and more responsive during everyday driving (passing, merging etc). I have owned both V70 turbo and Saab 9.5 turbo.

I will probably take one for a spin in the spring but may wait until 09 or buy used earlier model.
  • I cant find any reference to a third seat in the 08. Thats a deal killer for us if that's the case.
    Who would you put in a rear-facing 3rd row seat of a V70/XC70? These cramped seats are not as safe as the regular seats in a rear end collision. If you need three rows, get an XC90 or another large midsize or fullsize SUV or a large minivan.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I'm not sure if the 2008 has the 3rd row option, but I agree, it's great - it's a big reason why we chose the V70. It not only transforms the V70 into a 7 passenger car, but it's also great for securing groceries, shopping bags, etc. - preventing any soft-sided cargo from sliding/spilling.

I also love watching the reactions of drivers behind us when we are stopped at a light and the kids wave and/or make faces at them. :P
    "Who would you put in a rear-facing 3rd row seat of a V70/XC70?"

Uh, generally kids 12 and under fit fine - and depending on the relationship, maybe the mother-in-law.

"These cramped seats are not as safe as the regular seats in a rear end collision."

Red meat isn't as healthy as fish. So what?

"If you need three rows, get an XC90 or another large midsize or fullsize SUV or a large minivan."

Actually, the V70 is perfect for someone who doesn't need/want an XC90, SUV, or minivan.
    It is widely reported that the most common collision geometries are front-to-front ("head-on") at some angle and front-to-side ("T-bone"), but front-to-rear ("rear ender") does occur. Also it is possible for a vehicle to do a 180 deg rotation ("swap ends") and make rear end contact with another vehicle or a fixed object

The occupants of a 3-row seat in a V70/XC70 are in the rear crumple zone.

I have worked as an automobile crash researcher and I have spent many hours in automobile salvage yards. I remember once seeing a late 1990's or early 2000's model Volvo wagon which had been rear ended hard on the left side. The hatch was pushed almost to the second row seat on the left (driver's side).

You can say that there is risk in life, etc., and so there is, but the use of the 3rd row seat puts the occupants there at assymetrical risk compared to other occupants of the vehicle and raises ethical problems.
    I own a base model 2004 V70 NA 2.4L (5A) and my wife owns a base model 2007 FWD XC90 3.2 (6A) 5 passenger. I understand the wish for high fuel economy. I get well over 30 mpg on the interstate and the best we can get in the XC90 is in the low 20s mpg. The mileage around town is much less than I would like.

But the XC90 is absolutely wonderful on trips. I have not tried the 3rd row seat in an XC90, but I would consider it adequate for a defensible level of crash protection. A V70 is simply too small to include a 3rd row seat.

If I had a V70 with a third row seat and I needed to use it, I'm sure I would, but I'd be nervous the whole time and if someone would be injured in it, I'd feel that I had taken a chance that I should not have.

As far as purchasing that option so that I would have that capability, I would not do it. If I were in a decison making position at Volvo, I would discontinue offering the 3rd row seat in the V70 because it is enabling and encouraging the user to exceed the design capability of the V70, and would expose Volvo to a product liabilty lawsuit should some tragedy occur.
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I think I recall reading somewhere that it is now only a dealer installed option for 2008. I have one in my 99 from the factory. At the time there were very few 7 seaters other than mini vans. It is a good option if used as intended. I think Volvo should continue to offer it as it sets it apart from the other wagons - Saab, BMW, MB. I don't think the consumer should need to buy a mini van or SUV just because they want occasional 3 rd row seats.

We used ours only for casual use in the early years. It hardly gets any use now as the kids are all too big.
    Your defense of this is as good a defense as can be given of getting the 3rd row seat in a V70. We all take risks. A person could well analyze the risks and benefits and decide that overall that it is a risk worth taking. For a particular person it might even be safety neutral, in total, and it enable them to consume less fuel.

In my 07 V70 the spare tire and the battery are under the deck behind the 2nd row seat. I can imagine that the battery stays where it is, but what happens to the spare tire when the 3rd row seat is installed? Maybe a spare can no longer be carried, and one must rely on a can of sealer and a 12V air pump. Some vehicles come that way!
    Our main criteria for a family car was that it have a 3rd row seat. We are a family of 4, so we don't need it often, but when we do need it, it is a great convenience. Our 2004 V70 didn't come from the factory with the 3rd row seat (although it was an available option). We had the dealer install it.

Even dealer installed, it is functionally identical to the factory installed version.

Regarding using the 3rd row, I agree that it cannot be used as a functional seat on a regular basis. When it's occupied, it leaves little to no space for cargo. So while we would never want to take a trip with the kids sitting back there (where would you put your luggage?), we appreciate having it one those occasions when we take the neighbors kids to school in the morning or take the kids and their friends to the movies.

We had a Buick Rendezvous before, and I rememeber reading all the hoopla about 3rd row safety when the first three-row crossover SUV's started hitting the market. Basically, the consensus was that any occupant of a 3rd row seat in a "wheelbase challenged" vehicle is at higher risk for injury. This would include any vehicle smaller than an extended w/b minivan or full-size SUV.

So, according to the safety gurus, basically anything smaller than a Chevrolet Suburban is off the list. Personally, I think risk is a part of life and to "avoid" risk is to "avoid" life. I am "at risk" every time I drive to work, fly a helicopter, or go swimming (just owning a swimming pool is "risky"). I choose to "manage risk" and allow my kids go swimming, ride their bikes in the neighborhood, climb the tree in the backyard, and sit in the 3rd row of the Volvo.

Personally, if the 3rd row seat had not been available in the V70, we wouldn't have bought it. We could have made due with a 6-person near-lux sedan like the Toyota Avalon, or gone for the Acura MDX (which itself is 3rd row "safety challenged"), but we both really liked the V70's unique combination of utility and comfort.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    And let's not forget, if we were truly worried about every occupant being inside the safety cage, nobody would drive motorcyles or even convertibles, for that matter, since your head may not be protected (yes, some convertibles have a popup thingy, but that may or may not protect someone of my height).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country