Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    I'll bet you need new shocks. Do the test - bounce the corner in question a few times and if it continues more than once or twice, your shocks are shot. That's the first thing I always did when checking out a used car before I even started it up.

Deke
  • themoon77themoon77 Posts: 102
    Thanks dekester. Yes, the car bounces up and down 3 or 4 times on that corner; but I got the car for 700 bucks so I don't really regret buying it. Any recommendations on what brand of shocks I should buy? I don't need the fanciest product on the market for this car.

Edge
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    Go with whatever you're comfortable with. Doesn't Midas offer a lifetime shock? Pay once and never again?
  • vasyvasy Posts: 2
    I have a question about how to manually override the automatic air conditioning system. My 04 Camry XLE (4 cyl) is 1 month old.

Although the owner's manual is not totally clear about whether this auto A/C system is designed to let you turn off the A/C on a warm or hot day and just run fresh air ventilation, I would think it is designed so. But when I turned on the fan speed to any setting without pressing the "AUTO" button (the left-most one of the 5 buttons on the lower row), and set the temp to 72 when the outside temp was about 74, the A/C button's light was not lit (I did not press it), I opened the hood with the engine idling, I can see the A/C compressor's clutch and the radiator fans cycling on and off - indicating the A/C is running. As soon as I press the "*OFF" button (to the right of "Auto" button) to turn off the ventilation fan, the compressor and radiator fans stopped running. I was able to duplicate the result on 2 different days.

A related question - does this system allow you to defrost the front windshield without running the A/C? Both my 90 Nissan and 96 Subaru have a mode that lets you do so. My Camry has 2 defrost buttons for the front windshield. But both buttons trigger the A/C compressor and radiator fans. I understand that running the A/C is generally a more efficient way to dehumidify the windshield. But there are times when I prefer to blow the fresh air to the windshield without running the A/C. My 90 Nissan Maxima has 160,000 miles and I use A/C with great care, I run it for a few minutes at least once a month in the winter months to lubricate the O-rings in the refrigerant pipes, but I use it in the summer only when I really need to - only when it's quite hot. The result is that I never have to add any R-12 since I bought the car in late 1989 and the A/C is functioning like new.

I've read the same discussion for windshield defrosting on a Honda Accord group and found out the current gen Accord with auto A/C can not blow air to the windshield without running the A/C. Anyone with any input? I would not be very surprised if you can't blow un-air-conditioned air to the windshield but would be very surprised if you can't run ventilation without running the A/C or heater (it's not easy to set the cabin temp at exactly the right setting so that both A/C and heater do not run).

A call to the dealership's service dept did not yield any result. They told me to talk to the sales people. I'll go there in a couple of weeks to see if I can duplicate the same result in another Camry XLE.

I also found an interesting thing. The fuse panel in the engine compartment has a slot designated for the A/C system (10 amp in slot #4), according to P. 313 of the owner's manual. But there is no such fuse installed in my car and there is no circuit underneath that slot to accept a fuse. If I try to pop in a fuse, it does not fit tightly. There is no metal insert in that slot to hold a fuse. But the A/C does run.

Other than what I mentioned, this car is great.
  • mike1257mike1257 Posts: 10
    I'm beginning the the process of searching for a new car (I have an '02 Forester that I'm pretty happy with, and a '94 Nissan Sentra on very expensive life support), and for now I'm leaning towars a family sedan with the usual suspects on top - Camry, Accord and Passat. The Town Hall has been a source of great onformation in the past (though it's easy to get scared off of any car when you just read about individual problems!)

I'm looking at the '04 Camry XLE V6 auto, and would appreciate any comments regarding members experience regarding performance, reliability and options. Any thoughts about the Navigation System option? Any '05 improvements on the way to make the wait worth it?

Thanks alot.

Mike
  • wanna2002wanna2002 Posts: 23
    I posted a few days ago about my drive belt making noise and another problem has re-surfaced since then (on my 2002 XLE V6). The brakes make a very loud moaning, sort of grinding, sound with gradual, slow braking. It seems to occur more right after the car has been idle for as little as an hour. I brought this to the dealer's attention at my last service and was told it was dust/dirt on the brakes and that my brakes were in perfect shape. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • I have posted on this site before regarding a 2003 Camry LE V6 that I purchased in September 2003. Since day one, I experienced problems with rattles, the alarm system, and generally less-than-expected performance from a car that is known for quality. My biggest disappointment came when I had my transmission replaced at 4K miles after noticing that the car was having problems shifting. Subsequently, I have gone back to the dealer several times regardin this shifting, resonance and humming at certain gears and certain RPM's. Dealer service techs have adjusted the ECU, told me the transmission performance was normal for the Camry because of the new drive-by-wire. My vehicle now has 16K miles of mostly highway driving since I have had to drive from San Francisco to San Diego about 10 times. The rest of the miles are local commute and errand miles. I finally got fed up with the transmission/engine underperformance and took the car back in once again. The dealer has had my car for four days and it looks as if the want to install ANOTHER transmission. This is my third one and I am not a lunatic driver. In fact, the dealer reps know me as a very careful and particular customer. I have had the car serviced regularly and try to keep my eyes and ears open for any changes in performance. Yet, this car is not whisper quiet, does not have superb acceleration for a V6, and does not have smooth shifting during normal driving.

Given that this is the third transmission for a car that was purchased less than eight months ago, do I have a lemon law case and what should I do? It is awfully frustrating hearing about how great the Camry is and knowing that I have yet to experience any of this greatness. I would buy the Avalon, but I would NEVER buy another Camry based on my experiences. I have driven the pre-2000 Camry's and they are excellent cars. This new model is just awful.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Sorry about your Camry.

To your left on this page, there is a link to an article concerning Lemon Laws under "Helpful Links". Hopefully, it will help you determine what to do next.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• camryman5camryman5 Posts: 10
    I recently had a new engine put in my 2002 Camry LE 4cyl. which only had 28000 miles on it. The cylinder walls were burned. I bought it used. Anyway, Toyota rebuild a new engine for me at no out of pocket cost (The dealership said it would of been about $12000).

So, do I start my scheduled maintenance at zero again since it is a new engine or do I continue with the maintenance as if nothing ever happened? I would be due for the 30000 mile checkup now which will cost $300. However, do I really need all that stuff done if the engine only has 2000-3000 miles on it? Thanks for any advice!
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Edge:

See the Avalon site for more info. on shocks. Basically, they are the same shock that the Avalon, and Lexus 300 has, and usually they are a problem for these vehicles. This is the number #1 problem in Avalons, Camrys per Consumer Reports.

Take it to a competent, Frame and Axle, Wheel and Axle, etc. place. It is more likely the shocks than the springs. If you want a noticeable difference in handling, braking, with a more controlled albeit slightly stiffer ride, buy a set of TokicoHP shocks. They are markedly better than the OEM Toyota uses, IMO.

abfisch
  • You mean $1200 right? We had a new engine put in our Rav under warranty as well. We basically followed the book as though the engine was new. By the way, less than 20K miles later and it needs a valve job. Toyota says it is out of warranty and they can do no more. Sadly this was after I purchased my 02 Camry. Couple this with the Camry rattle issues and I might be in a Honda right now.
  • camryman5camryman5 Posts: 10
    andrelaplume:

Actually, they told me $12000, not $1200. Seems high if you ask me. I am very disappointed with the '02 Camry (Although I believe '02 is the first year of the new design). I might go with Honda for my next purchase if the problems continue. I have always heard that Camry's are so great...not in my opinion. My '97 Grand Am blows away my Camry in terms of maintenance BIG TIME!!!

Thanks for your post!
  • rivermanriverman Posts: 5
    Help! I have posted a rather long reply to someone last night on the pulling issue, can't find it now. I am having terrible problems and after the fourth attempt at repair, the factory rep said it was ok to have the pull and to adjust the wheel by having to tap or hold it!!!! Toyota has assigned a lemon rep or something like that to me, but I have been told my only option, for now nobody will touch the car, is arbitration. There is a tsb out on it, I have it, and feel stuck. Please let me know anything you have, even case number or incident number if possible.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Your original post is here in the Solara topic in Sedans.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I own a 1993 Camry XLE with factory remote locking and security Fob. Recently, and on an intermittent basis, the parking and taillights which flash momentarily when pressing the locking/unlocking position on the Fob, have remained on. Once unnoticed they stayed on long enough to drain the battery. Any cause identification, solutions or suggestions for resolving would be greatly appreciated
  • lilgreg56lilgreg56 Posts: 12
    TRY THIS WEB SIGHT REGARDING TSB

WWW.ALLDATA.COM

DEALERS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SIGHT, BEACUSE THAT CANT LIE ANY MORE ABOUT PROBLEMS!!!!
    NOT SURE IF THE PULLING WAS CORRECTED AT THE DEALER OR NOT, I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND SO DO THEY, BUT THEY ARE PLAYING DUMB.
    THE PROBLEM WAS KNOWN BY TOYOTA IN 2001, I HAVE 2002 CAMRY. GET BACK TO ME IF YOU NEED SOME HELP.
    THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED TSB (TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN)
    THE ARE 2 ITEM #S THE MAY PERTAIN TO YOUR PROBLEM, TAKE THESE #S TO YOUR DEALER.

ST002-03 ISSUED DATE JUNE/03........STEERING COLUME NOISE WHEN TURNING
     SORRY THERE WAS ONLY ONE TSB #

GO TO THIS WEB SIGHT AND YOU CAN GET ALL THE TSB #S FOR YOUR CAR. I HAVE A 2002 CAMRY SO I FEEL YOU.

WWW.ALLDATE.COM
                       GOOD LUCK
  • Hi I have a 99 camry and its time for 4year 60000 mile service to be done. WHat I was wondering is the car only has 48k on it they are telling me it needs done now what I was wondering is do you think it would be ok to wait tell there is 60k on the car or should I do it now? I only put about 4k miles a year on it now it is our 2nd car. Thanks
    Darcy
    SORRY ABOUT THE BAD WEB SIGHT ADDR. BEFORE, I NEED TO CHECK MY SPELLING BEFORE I SEND. THE WEB SIGHT IS WWW.ALLDATA.COM, NOT WWW.ALLDATE.COM

SORRY FOR ANY PROBLEM THAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED
This discussion has been closed.