Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• toyoman1toyoman1 Posts: 52
    Yeah like my car is gonna last another 100K LOL Although it is a yoda so who knows!!!!!
  • niki1niki1 Posts: 52
    To All,
    Has anyone been experiencing BAD engine tapping (like valves) when the vehicle is in gear? My 2005 Camry sounds like my 95 Beretta, which has bad valves. The dealership changed the main drive belt, but that did nothing. The area rep. for Toyota reviewed my file and stated that the problem is a caricteristic of the 2005 4 cyl. Camry, and this was determined without him/her putting eyes or ears to my vehicle. Toyota said they stand behind the area reps. decision, who just started working for Toyota, and that they will not make anymore attempts to repair this problem, and that I need to arbitrate my case. This vehicle has 1500 miles on it.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    NIKI1
    Toy,
    The key work here is plastic!! Exact same thing happened to my 95 Beretta last week at a cost of $260.00. Sounds like you got a great price for to Toyota!

NIKI1
  • tipektipek Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. To open the fuel door I have to stick the key from the top and then walk back to use the lever to open it. I've been doing it for 6 months now and I also would like to hear how to fix it.
    I own 98 Camry with 106K.

Rafal
  • tipektipek Posts: 2
    Last night I've noticed that I have some kind of leak under my car (98 Camry V6 LE. 107K) My car was parked there for only about 20 minutes. I thought that this might be leaking coolant or water from AC, but unfortunately the substance on the driveway was greasy. I poured beside little bit of coolant to see if that was the case. I think it was oil.
    I don't drive to work so today after work when I came back home I saw new spot of dark substance under the car. I've checked the oil level and it seems fine.

Also, when I bought my Camry back in 2000, I've got letter from Toyota stating that if I will ever have any problems with the oil leak, Toyota will fix it for free. I turned my house upside down and I can't find it :(
    Does anyone got it too?

Thanks,
    Rafal
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Posts: 70
    I had my 97 Camry with 82K miles towed in last night. My mechanic said the timing belt broke and does not know at this point in any damage was done to the engine.

Is the 2.2 L 4 cylinder a non-interference engine?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    That is correct, it is a non-interference design.

Ken
    So like everyone knows I went yesterday at 6pm to get my car. Everything is great it is running fine. But today I decided to take a look under the hood and get a closer look at what the mechanic did. The top of the new radiator looks brand new, as far as the plastic goes. Also the radiator cap is new, but what worries me is that I when I looked at the fins on the front of the new radiator I noticed that some where slightly bent and some with a little rust on them, it looked dirt and used is what I am trying to say. This cant be possible after driving it maybe ten miles home since yesterday. Is it possible that my old radiator was repaired??? Or did I get a remanufactured one??? I guess the point is that the leak is gone, but did I pay 277 for a Toyota OEM radiator and get a remanufactured one??? What do yall think? "HAPPY MOTORING"

Toyoman1
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,190
    You probably were priced a new one and got a remanufactured or repaired radiator. If you question it, they will probably try to say you were given the price for a rebuilt or the new ones have dented fins.

I was given a rechromed rear bumper for a repair on a car once when the insurance estimate was for a new one. I had the dealer replace it with what I paid for. The owner of the Ford dealership was nasty.
  • trighttright Posts: 2
    Update: I got a schematic for the car, and I was able to check that 1) the motor works and 2) the switch works. But the switch does not seem to be getting power. Power is supplied from what on the schematic is called the "Power Main Relay." Unfortunately, the CDROM I have does not show where that is located. Is this the same thing as the "Engine Main Relay"? Does anyone know exactly *where* the relay is located? Any help would be appreciated.
    So imidazol97,

Is it worth putting up a stink at the garage? I want to get what I paid for!!!! I might not get 100K outta a rebuilt radiator. Either way my baby is better so I'm not to pissed.

Toyoman1
  • mramarmramar Posts: 1
    I have a Toyota Camry LE 2001. Recently, I have been having similar problems with my power windows. The passenger side windows (both) can be scrolled down but does not scroll up. They go up partly after sometime...about 1 inch every 5-10 minutes. I initially thought that the battery may need replacement and changed one recently but that has not corrected the problem. It is soooo annoying...

Appreciate if anyone knows why this happens...
    Thanks
    This is pretty indicitave of a worn or almost worn out window motor. You could take the door apart and try lubricating the moving parts to see if it's just gummed up with dirt, etc., but in all liklihood you'll have to replace the window motors to get them working again.

Ken
  • gdub2gdub2 Posts: 10
    My engine light is on - and my code is P0441 - Evap emission control purge flow low - does anyone know if this will be covered under the 1996 through 1998 Model Year Federal Emissions Warranty Enhancement before I have to take it to the dealer and pay $100 for them to look at it?

Has anyone ever been covered undered this Emissions Warranty Enhancement for repairs? Knowing that you have to get the problem checked out at a Toyota Dealer ($100.00) before they tell you whether it is covered under the warranty.

I just had the tranmission rebuilt $1400.00 and now this engine light shows up. I'm getting ready to put it up for sale by owner. It has 119K miles and one owner me! So I need to hurry up and get it ready for selling so I can buy my new car. I've had it with this camry.
  • active18active18 Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2005 Camry LE after driving a 2000 Camry CE for 5 years.
    As I drove it for a few days I began to realize that the feel of the drive is totally different from the '00 model. Although both are 4-cyl., the new one is not smooth in its gear transition and is somewhat noisy in achieving 35 mph. The gas pedal has a
    "trigger" touch that kind of pushes unsmoothly.
    I had a different dealer check it to make sure it wasn't a single-car issue, and was told it drove as it was supposed to. I'm really not enjoying in-city driving.
    Anyone out there know what I'm talking about?
    Did Toyota alter the transmission somewhere between '00 and '05?
    Two things changed from your '00 to the '05 that you test drove. In addition to the numerous other changes. The first is that the transmission is a 5sp automatic rather than the 4sp you have. Secondly, the car uses a throttle-by-wire system, so there is no throttle wire. So combined with a more powerful engine and different gearing added to the throttle by wire system, you may find it is a bit more touchy or as others may say more responsive. Just your perspective when making the comparison.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    I have a 96 Camry and my power lock switch on my driver side door stopped unlocking as well. I have not looked into the repair as I am about to sell it as is after I get the engine light off.
  • active18active18 Posts: 2
    Ken:

Thank you. You're the first to acknowledge and explain the difference.

Active18
    You're welcome and I'm glad I was able to clarify for you.

Ken
    I do have the document. It was a letter that they sent out I tried to make it into an image let's see if this works ..

Emissions Warranty

Here is an Excerpt:

"The enhancement coverage is on the Evaporative System and is extended to the components specified below for a period of 14 yrs or 150,000 miles from the vehicles in service date, whichever occurs first.
    -Evap storage canister
    -Evap system pressure sensor
    -Fuel cap
    -Fuel tank
    -Fuel tank filter neck
    -Purge valve
    -Tank vapor vent line
    -Three-way valve
    -Any ohter part or component, including any maintenance parts, between the fuel tank and teh intake manifold (but not including the intake manifold) designed to contain or conduct fuel vapor from the fuel system"
  • slemleyslemley Posts: 1
    Can someone possibly help?!

I took my car to the auto store to get my car tested, and its showing an error code of P0440. What would you suggest that is wrong with it? And how would I go about fixing the problem?

Please any and all comments welcome!
  • siddhisiddhi Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I bought a 2005 Camry LE and just got my 5k service done at the
    dealership. I was finding the brakes a little weak, hence I told the
    dealership to check the brakes. They came back with a quote of $1000
    saying that the rear brake drums, cylinders everything needs to be
    replaced. The Brake oil is burnt and has to be drained out using a
    special machine. They claim that this happens if you have driven with
    the Emergency brakes ON.

I had always thought that the brakes were soft but thought that this
    might be because different cars have different braking powers. I spoke
    to some people and told me that if you drive with your emergency brake
    on then you would see the friction/drag in a mile or so. I dont think
    this car has been driven with the Emergency brake ON.

This car is 3 months old and has 5K on it. The dealership tells me
    that we cannot claim warranty because it will get rejected and I
    cannot use insurance because insurance doesent cover wear and tear. I
    think the brakes have been degrading and now when i notice a
    substantial problem. i dont want to spend $1000 on a brand new car.

Any suggestions ?
    If the dealer you're getting the car serviced at isn't willing to work with you, you should bring it to another service department. They should be able/willing to contact Toyota to file a warranty claim. There isn't anything at this point to lose. In all liklihood, with as new as this car is, they should be willing to help.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • julieb1julieb1 Posts: 1
    This happened several times to me today with my 2003 Camry. The button on the side of the shifter wouldn't depress. So I couldn't shift out of park. It took several minutes of trying to get it to work. I'll be at the dealership next week for another problem. Guess I'll ask them about this.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    My take on this is that you are out of luck. The only way out is to show that the brake warning light on the instrument panel doesn't turn on unless the parking (emergency) brake lever is pulled up fully or almost fully. Normally, the light will come on with just a very slight pull of the lever to warn that the brakes are on.

My guess is that the parking brake was on lightly, enough that the rear brake shoes were continuously applied to the brake drums while you were driving those 5000 miles. This would overheat the rear brakes and cause the damage you described. If the rear brakes were on lightly, you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell by the way the car drove, but the warning light in the instrument panel should have been on.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Check to see if brake lights come on. Shift interlock is linked to brake light switch so one can shift out of Park if brake pedal is depressed and car is on. If brake lights do not come on when brake pedal is depressed, the switch needs adjusting or replacing.
    :confuse: I'm going to the dealer Tuesday with Warranty Notice in Hand! .. So we'll see what happens.
    To All,
    Has anyone been experiencing BAD engine tapping (like valves) when the vehicle is in gear? My 2005 Camry sounds like my 95 Beretta, which has bad valves. The dealership changed the main drive belt, but that did nothing. The area rep. for Toyota reviewed my file and stated that the problem is a caricteristic of the 2005 4 cyl. Camry, and this was determined without him/her putting eyes or ears to my vehicle. Toyota said they stand behind the area reps. decision, who just started working for Toyota, and that they will not make anymore attempts to repair this problem, and that I need to arbitrate my case. This vehicle has 1500 miles on it.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    NIKI1
  • gerrydgerryd Posts: 1
    I would like to tow my tent trailer (GVWR 1680 lb.) with my four cylinder Camry and would like to know if anyone has experienced overheating problems when doing so. Does Toyota sell a "Towing Kit" ? Is a transmission oil cooler required?
    Thanks
    Gerryd
  • joescarjoescar Posts: 30
    We towed a 900 pound pop-up with a 4 Cyl. Camry and although it didn't do any damage, I'd have to advise against it. Stopping was difficult, the suspension was strained, power was inadequate, etc. I would certainly NOT tow the weight you propose under any circumstances! Buy yourself a truck or SUV if you want to tow. A modern van is also an alternative which worked well for us. Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.