Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• lok888lok888 Posts: 1,749
    I noticed the noise during the recent frigid temparture like 10'F to15'F or colder before the car (2003 Camry SE) warms up or drives for few miles. I bought this attention to my service and they didn't even check and just said this is normal. :-(
  • I has this on my 02 and they immediately knew what to do. The lubed something and said it was common on th enew model Camry. Good Luck.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    Get them to put some grease where the shaft goes through the firewall. We had the same problem when our 2002 new and since they greased the shaft, there is no more squeak.
  • How often do you clean the fuel injectors on a 1995 Toyota Camry?
  • lok888lok888 Posts: 1,749
    Thanks all! I will bring it back and have them look at this area. I probably try another dealer.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Posts: 158
    Yes this is normal. My '05 Solara and '04 Matrix does the same as well as my '02 Honda Civic. I hardly notice as I don't drive on hills that often.
  • also it doesnt work with defrost mode for long.I discovered this through a mechanic. thank you for the info
  • We have a 2000 Camry with 60k miles and our started doing the vibration thing - just as you described. I suspect it some type of oscillation issue, since it does not happen every time. No conclusion or action yet.
  • slov98slov98 Posts: 112
    my 03 steering wheel started making strange noises, mainly after I let go of the steering wheel back to the original position during U-turns or wide turns. During the noise I couldalso feel vibration on my accelerator.

When it got below freezing, I started hearing noises on any turns that would eventually go away but the main noise was still there.

When I went to the dealer, his first question was does it do it more when it's colder? I know if I said yes, he would say it's normal, so I said no. His explanation was about the steering fluid warming up or something like that, which I countered with it wasn't warming up like this last winter.

As soon as I mentioned the vibration he got interested, when I got the car back, the fix was "repositioned and lubed steering boot"

They also wrote up 'brake squeal'(which I never heard), 'front rotors warped', the fix was 'turned rotors and replaced pads.'

I don't know if the brakes had anything to do with the steering wheel but at least I got new brake pads on the front.

I have 23k miles on it.
  • epondepond Posts: 13
    We have a disconcerting sloshing noise that comes from our steering wheel. When you start driving and turning, it sounds like fluid is sloshing all around the steering wheel column. We have a 2002 Camry XLE with 28000 miles on it.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas what the problem is? Fix? I was thinking of taking it in to a Toyota Dealership. Will the warranty cover something like this?

Thanks for the help/advice in advance.
  • We've owned a 2002 Camry SE since August 2002 and all we've done is change the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles and drive it. The maintenance schedule calls for a minor tuneup at 30,000 but since my wife drives strictly highway miles and since we have not noticed any deterioration of performance, we have yet to tune up the car.

It rides very comfortable and to date has not had any problems.

If I'vre responded too late to affect your purchase, I hope that you are enjoying the Toyota.
  • I've been experiencing what feels like a skipping sensation whenI attempt to proceed forward with the steering turned full lock. Was this one of the symptoms with your vehicle? Or is the problem different than yours?
  • rkottrkott Posts: 1
    Compared to my 2001 Buick Regal the shifting on the Camry V6 is really bad. The Camry seems erratic and not smooth. The engine seems to rev-up a bit between shifting. I had the dealer check this after they had to replace an oxygen sensor and they said they can't find anything. It just does not feel right to me. I also complained that you have to depress the gas pedal a considerable distance from idle before the engine responds. They attributed this to the electronic gas pedal and said nothing could be done.
  • The intermediate steering shaft requires replacement. This problem is becoming increasingly prevelant with the new model Camrys. I hope yours is still under warranty. Best of luck! Joe
  • I have had the exact same problem with my '03 Camry, for the past 5 months as well. It is at the dealership as I write this. They are taking it apart to figure out what the sloshing is. At first they thought it was my air conditioning drainage pan, but that is not it. I will let you know what I find out.
  • jean3jean3 Posts: 2
    I've been back to the dealer with the same gas pedal problem and gotten the same answers you got but I'm beginning to think this is a fixable problem and Toyota just doesn't think it's a problem that enough people notice.

The problems I have center around changing lanes on the freeway and momentarily getting the feeling that my engine has quit. It's scary because I have a quick thought that my car will get in the new lane and die and I'll get hit from behind by someone that thinks I will be maintaining speed. The car then responds but by this time I have pressed harder on the pedal and it jumps ahead. Intersections are the same and once I braked so hard when the pedal didn't respond the guy behind me almost made contact.

Toyota engineers should be able to fix this.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    My Niece has owned a Passat for 3 years and has experienced absolutely no problems with it. She really loves her car.
  • jean3jean3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 V6 and the dealer responded to my initial complaint by REPLACING THE TRANSMISSION. The acceleration problem did not go away and a regional rep finally said it was normal. Why did a Toyota master mechanic think it was serious enough to replace the transmission? No good answer from the regional rep.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    you people should post your experiences with shifting / hesitation over in the Engine Hesitation forum so that people reading about the Highlander can also see they aren't alone.
This discussion has been closed.