Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Well, "noisy" is a relative thing. My first new car, a 1975 VW Rabbit, was a proverbial tin can -- very noisy. The '79 Rabbit that replaced it was noticeably quieter.

Then I bought a used 1980 Volvo 240 that sounded like a luxury car to me -- so quiet, or so I thought.

But it was nothing compared to my new 1990 Mercury Sable, and so it goes.

My '04 and '05 Camrys are very quiet, the former even when it still had the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires. Now I have Hankook Optimo tires on it, and it's still very quiet. The '05 Camry has OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE92s.
  • ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    I really don't know why it would be any noisier than the 01. Are they not the same body style?
    If you really want to drive a noisy car drive a Nissan Altima 2.5s. We just traded our 2005 Altima in for a 2006 Camry because the engine was so noisy it was obnoxious. No matter what speed.
    And the ride? The Altima's ride would be equivalent to sitting on a skate board and riding that. We also have a 2005 Honda Element and that put the Altima to shame as far as ride and road noise. Both the Honda and the Toyota beat the Nissan head's down as far as quality and fit goes. Nissan also designed the 2.5S only with a AC/heating unit that if you used any "windshield" or the "recycle" settings. The AC stayed on until you re started the car. Very bad design. Our Altima had 7,000 miles when we traded it in and it was waiting for it's third stereo replacement. The Camry is like driving in heaven compared to the Nissan.
    Seeing it's our first Toyota I will say I do not care for the cruise control setup or the fact it seems to downshift on the least little grade a lot.

D
    You'll get used to the cruise control and probably even come to like it.

With regard to downshifting, the transmission is a 5-speed, so it will downshift more readily (more gears).

In hilly terrain, you can always lock out 5th gear (overdrive) to keep the tranny from going no higher than 4th gear.
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    I also have a 2006 camry and found it a little noisy I see you were concerned about your 5 speed trans. While I am in town going around 50 mph or on the freeway in bumper to bumper traffic I leave the over drive off to keep from it shifting from 4th to 5th all the time wearing out the overdrive clutches I was told it's best to just use 4th while in town or in slow traffic on open roadways. While in the mountains I only use 4th gear while going up or down to keep control for the car and not having the overdrive always going on and off wearing out the 5th gear clutches. Lexus next year on the new LS460 is supposed to have an 8 speed transmission that ought to keep you busy.
    In low-speed bumper-to-bumper traffic, it's not really necessary to lock out overdrive (5th) because you're never going to go fast enough for the tranny to shift into 5th in the first place.

Interesting that back in the 60s GM went from a 4-speed Hydramatic tranny to a 3-speed because people didn't like to feel the shifts so often. Of course, neither the 4-speed or 3-speed units were true overdrive trannies.

Today, shifts are (usually) smoother, and I would assume the upcoming 8-speed in the Lexus will have barely perceptible shift points.
  • Does anyone know how to disable the seat belts noise in a 2005 Camry. If so please let me know...I don't drive with the belt off but I do park into my garage spot with it off and the noise is so annoying, I am thinking of getting a different car.
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    Here is how to do it. Turn the car to On (don't start it) and then press and hold the trip/odometer stick for about 10 seconds (you must do this within about 3 seconds or turning the car to On). Then, while still pusing in the stick, buckle your seatbelt (I do this by having it close to the buckle before I turn on the car). When you do this, you should see b-on or b-off displayed in the odometer area. If it displays b-on, simply release the trip/odometer stick and press it again. This should work (worked on my 05 XLE). Good luck (I hated the beeping too, while driving in parking lots, etc--I always wear my seatbelt while driving on roads).
  • My '95 Camry LE driver door will not unlock either with the key or manual unlock on inside door handle or the all-door unlock swithch. The other 3 doors work fine. I need to get the door open to access the inside panel to find out what's causing this. We've tried different keys, inside/outside, window up/down. My son did get it to unlock once, but closed the door and it locked up again. :cry:
    My manuals only tell what to do if the door is open.
    Any ideas?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I've been trying to figure out for weeks how Toyota determines that the accelerator pedal is in the fully released, idle, position. I can fully understand how they determine the initial position when the battery is first connected, but how...

Then this morning it hit me.

You must depress the brake pedal, FIRMLY, in order to shift out of parking gear. If I were the engineer writing the firmware that is exactly when I would most expect the accelerator pedal to be fully released.

So, if, drive cycle after drive cycle, the shift from park into a drive range occurs with the gas pedal depressed, even ever so slightly, the engine/transaxle ECU might re-learn, likely adjusting the parameter gradually, the sensor output voltage for the accelerator pedal idle position.

The next part you will not believe.

I NEVER use my left foot for braking..

WRONG!

My RX is always parked "nose in" into the garage.

This morning I used my left foot to brake while I started the RX and shifted into reverse, and continued to brake with my left foot as I backed out of the garage.

I know I do not use my left foot for braking in the normal sense and I have no idea when or how I developed the habit of doing it in reverse, or maybe only while backing out of the garage.

So, if you have DBW be sure you do not have any pressure on the accelerator pedal as you firmly depress the brake in order to shift into gear. And be mindful of floor mats having inadvertently slipped forward and now laying on the accelerator pedal.

Kudoes to user777, to whom I should have listened more closely and who was much closer to this idea than I was.
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    Wwest,

Question... I know you have been contemplating this problem for many months now, but I would like to assume that Toyota engineers are at least as smart as you and User777 (this is not meant as a put down to either of you) and I would hope that they have been spending more time on it than you have (hopefully since it first presented itself in 2002), so don't you think this is something that they would have figured out by now? Man, it sounds like an EASY fix if it is the problem.

Too bad the Toyota-Lexus transaxle shift delay forum is closed. I am sure what you have surmised would be of interest to more than Toyota Camry owners.

(Like you, I would swear I am not a left foot braker, but...just like you, my driveway is a downslope and in the event I pull in behind by wife, I must keep a foot on the brake as a press the gas to keep from rolling into her.)
    My strong suspicion is that Toyota engineers have been concentrating on and working diligently to alleviate, reduce the duration of, the "designed in" engine/transaxle delay/hesitation. Having not experienced either of the delays, assuming both exist, I'm kinda shooting in the dark.

The "designed in" delay is likely relatively short in comparison, but will still be quite noticeable, even an irritant, for those having previously, say for a lifetime, driven automatic transmissions absent the delay enabled by the new DBW system.

It is entirely possible, from my viewpoint, that Toyota isn't even aware of the few drivers complaining of the extended delays of 1 to 2 seconds vs those that probably number in the thousands that complain of the 200 to 500 millisecond delay.

Look at all the postings here and elsewhere of individuals that readily acknowledge experiencing "the" delay but then go on to deny, oftentimes vehemently, its seriousness.
    I have always felt (no scientific basis, just my opinion based on the various descriptions of the problem and what I have experienced as a passenger in one) that the hesitation is present in all the subject models, but that it manifests itself to different degrees based on some unknown factor -- so that the description varies from "don't feel it", "feels a little funny", "hesitates but not a safety concern" to the extreme of "serious hesitation that is a safety concern". We knew about the designed in hesitation, so the unknown factor could be the accelerator issue you are talking about. Sounds like it is a simple fix, but how does one go about testing it? Mert2 could take your posts to his dealer and say "try this" but what are the chances that they actually would do it? I think he is still under warranty, so I don't think it would be smart to go to an independent mechanic for this. So... what next?
    I'm currently more concerned with what happened with me this morning than I am with any possible flaw in the accelerator pedal sensor voltage tolerance.

I most definitely had my left foot on the brake, firmly, as I shifted out of park and into reverse this morning. Assuming that the firmware designers used my logic, "the accelerator pedal will ALWAYS be fully released when shifting from park", then I could see how multiple drive cycles with the accelerator pedal at differing positions for each one would end up confusing the ECU as to exactly where "fully released" might actually be.

So at this moment I am more concerned with the possibility of unique actions of a few drivers that inadvertantly result in the ECU not having stored/computed the correct sensor voltage value for the "at rest" position of the accelerator pedal.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    My wife and I have a 2002 Camry LE V6 and a Highlander V6 and have never experienced any hesitation. Also, neither of us uses the left foot to brake nor do we hold the brake while pumping gas. Our driveway is also on a slight hill and we both use the right foot to slow the vehicle while backing out to the street.

I think we have this habit because these two autos are the first automatic trans cars we have owned. When one is driving standard shift cars it is impossible to use the left foot to brake.
  • I have a 4 cylinder 94 Camry LE.

I do not recommend anyone trying this, but here's a funny anecdotal story - we honestly got 100,000 miles on the original timing belt that came with the car.

In 97 I was 17, always borrowing my dad's 94 Camry. My dad bought a new car (97 Camry), and I got to drive his "old" 94. The next year one of my sisters got her license, and for the next 3 years the car was passed around (and fought over) by three teenagers, none of whom really kept up with the scheduled maintenances - we were teenagers, not car-savvy, too poor, and no single one of us really owned it anyways. Every now and then my mom would take it in for oil changes and whatnot, but she's not at all car-savvy.

Anyways, before going away for my third year of college, my parents basically decided to give me the car, and my mom and I took it in at just over 100,000k for a tuneup. The guy said the timing belt was so cracked he couldn't believe it hadn't snapped yet. Talked it over with my mom, and we realized the thing had never been replaced.

I still drive this car. Call him Old Faithful. This past December the replacement timing belt jumped a notch and had to be replaced, at 170,000 miles. "Only" got 70K out of that one.

At 130,000, in the summer of 2003, the battery failed and needed to be replaced. They said it just got too corroded. I can't ever remember replacing that either, but batteries can't last 9 years, can they? Maybe my dad had it replaced for some reason before my sisters and I got it.

I'm gettin ready to turn 175,000. Gonna get him to 200. Still runs smooth as ever. Likes to leak oil though.
  • Hi - hope someone can help here :(

I am feeling vibrations from the engine through the brakes when the car is stopped at a light (or when i use the brake with the Auto in D/R/L/3 any of these). When I brake and put transmission to Park/Neutral the vibrations are the least and almost negligible.

Can someone shine a light here? It is brand new car and just started this vibrations after 70 mile mark! BAD new car experience.

The vibrations are not present while driving or using accelerator. There is no rattling that infects so many of these.

thanks in advance, folks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    Please let's try to limit technical back and forths on the engine hesitation issue, as it tends to dominate the topic and not give other Camry owners a chance to discuss various other issues.

If you'd like to have technical back and forths, try private e-mails. Thank you

Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Any chance you will be reopening the "Toyota-Lexus transaxle shift delay" forum that was intended for this type of technical discussion of the issue?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    that's a management decision at this point, I don't know really....I'll make a note to ask...

AND....back to Camrys!!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    I'm just surprised that going along at 75 mph. You approach the slightest of grades and it downshifts. I can alleviate most of the downshifts if I switch off the cruise and just use the pedal.
    :-)
    D
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    Possibly is a stuck EGR valve. Ask for it to be inspected and replaced. There may be a way to clean one...if you could get at it.
    Batteries can last over nine years. I had a Sears DieHard battery in my old Volvo 240 that lasted just 2 months shy of 10 years: Nov. 1985 to Sept. 1995.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That means getting the engine started.
  • themoon77themoon77 Posts: 102
    Pat--which message were you replying to?

Edge
  • themoon77themoon77 Posts: 102
    Lately I have been losing coolant--I have to top off the radiator about every three weeks. There is also a "waterfall" sound coming from behind the dashboard directly in front of me whenever I accelerate from a stop. Could the issues be related? I hear the noise with the heat on and off. Car is an 89 Cam V6. No water leaking inside the car that I can tell, no leaks other than oil on the outside.

Edge
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    One that has been removed, apparently. Someone asked what was meant by the phrase turning the car over.
  • mike32mike32 Posts: 2
    I have an 05 xle. The front end is too soft. Want to change shock / struts to firm it up. Any suggestions on what to use. Would prefer an adjustable type of shock.
    MALIBU
  • rich27rich27 Posts: 1
    Go to another dealership - quality of mechanics vary drastically.
    Camrys are slow; get Altima - cheaper and MUCH faster -
    0 to 60 mph in 5.9sec!!! :)
  • derekv2derekv2 Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, did you get any solutions?
  • I have a 2000 Solara SLE and when the dash lights come on they seem to flicker, almost looking like they are going to go out. Also any of the instrument panel lights seem to flicker as well. How do i correct a situation like this, The check engine light just came on also, I just tripped the 60,000 mile mark, Should i take it into the dealership?
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.