Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• niki1niki1 Posts: 52
    Help Anyone,
    I have posted this problem before, so my problem is engine noise when the vehicle is in gear. The dealership told me it was the drive belt, because when they removed the belt the slapping/tapping noise went away. They did replace the belt, but the noise is still there, and getting worse. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this, or is anyone else experiencing this problem? Thanks in advance. The Camry is a 4 cylinder XLE auto, and the vehicle has about 1000 miles.
    Thanks Again
    NIKI1
  • nowoldmechnowoldmech Posts: 6
    My wife and I have been experiencing vague a arbitrary shifted of my 2003 Camry V6 LE for about a year. I had taken it back to the local dealer where we bought twice in the past year. The tech and the dealership owner both test drove the car and both said they could not duplicate any of the problems I described. Last week the car was taken to a dealership that is more than 50 miles from where we live. After a brief test drive the tech check the fluid level and found it to be over filled. He indicated he had to drain almost 0.9 quarts of fluid from the transmission. When I drove the car away from the dealership I noticed an immediate difference. It no longer hesitated when accelerating from a dead stop and shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd seemed more normal. By more normal I mean that the engine would rev in each gear rather than sometimes abruptly shifting to the next higher gear. The car went from being (for me) annoying to drive to being pleasant to drive.

I had written Toyota Customer Service in December 2004 about the car and their position was "if the Dealership cannot duplicate the problem they cannot fix it." Now my concern is what damage has been done after driving with the transmission over filled. Guess I will write them again for an explanation and ask for an extension my warranty. One more thing I noticed is my Owners Manual does not have a procedure for checking automatic transmission fluid level!
  • r0de099r0de099 Posts: 35
    it usuallycost to replace a rotor or resurfacing them?
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    You need to call your dealer or repair shop to get a quote. Costs will vary widely from one location to another.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    You drove away from the dealership without demanding that the problem be fixed? I'd keep hammering them, and if you don't get satisfaction, could you try a more competent dealer?
  • gcrumblegcrumble Posts: 1
    I lost my owners manual and I need to replace the headlight on the driver side. Anyone know how to remove the light cover?
  • scottimusscottimus Posts: 4
    Anyone know how to remove the dashboard, mainly the part where the radio is on a 2000 Camry?

Thanks in advance!
  • helpneederhelpneeder Posts: 1
    Just came back from my 1 month trip
    and tried to start the car but could not.

It's 96 Toyota Camry, 170000 miles.
    Power window works but seems very weak.

Any Idea?

thank you
  • 2000 camry with 100K shakes when driving down the pedal shakes so does the brake what could be possibly wrong with it? it only started recently and obviously shakes when going over 100Km/hr

Exhaust rattles too
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    High speed shakes are often a wheel balance problem. Pedal pulsation while braking is due to rotors being warped or having too much thickness variation. You'll need a mechanic to provide a real diagnosis.
  • jdeibjdeib Posts: 70
    If you are interested in removing the dash to install a new stereo system, try Crutchfield.com, the stereo supplier. They have detailed directions that you can purchase from them for your Camry. It details how to remove the dash panel to get to the receiver and it also shows how to remove the door panels to replace the speakers. It would be alot cheaper than buying a shop manual if you are needing to just install the stereo.
    Maybe not. Check my post on our 2003 Camry V6 LE 5spd automatic (nowoldmech), then check your transmission fluid level. Since there does not appear to be a procedure for this in the Owners Manual, if your not familiar with the procedure find a friend who is. If it is at all over filled take it to your Toyota dealer. I would be interested in what you find.
  • radarhog1radarhog1 Posts: 1
    02' Camry XLE with the V6. Lately been noticing engine or Trans. "jerking" while trying to maintain speed under lgt pressure on accelerator. Happens most notably around 48 to 65mph. Getting to be very annoying. Fuel?..electronic trans? Any ideas?
    Sounds like a familiar story. Hesitation when starting from a dead stop, abrupt shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. How about this symptom: at low throttle and you try to accelerate it seems the transmission is momentarily not in gear then abruptly shifts into gear. Or how about: sometimes when trying to merge into freeway traffic and you try to quickly accelerate but passing gear is flat with no increase in either power or acceleration! If these symptoms sound familiar then read my post on our 2003 Camry (nowoldmech). There is hope but first make sure you transmission was not over filled. I would be interested to hear what you find. Hope your problems turn out to be as simple.
  • I think you have hit the nail on the head, hatedealers.
    Never had a car that did this before.
    It seems to be getting better over time.
    Car now has 2100 miles on it and the lurch is still there but
    much gentler.
    It used to feel like it was always being rear-ended when I stopped
    at a light, which was not a good feeling as it would cause a panic reaction
    in me, having been rear-ended three times in the past.
    I love this car otherwise except that every other car on the road looks just like it.
    I got the "superwhite" color, so bright it almost glows in the dark.
    Stereo in it is VERY bass heavy, guess they think we all drive around with the bass pounding away.
    For a four cylinder it sure is PEPPY, especially on the highway where we all cruise at 90 mph here in south Florida. Cruises like a six cylinder. Power to spare.
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    This is not just a Camry problem. It is also occuring in other Toyota and Lexus models with the 5-speed automatic transmission. There is discussion of the problem going on at nearly all of the Edmunds message boards for the various models. There is also a forum that is dedicated to just the hesitation problem in all makes and models that has some good discussion/solutions regarding Toyota/Lexus:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4cdbd/1070
  • hey I have a similar problem with the brake and accelerator pedal both vibrate i think after stopping or braking and yes the brakes also sqeual so they did replace pads last time this time I am going to get them to check the rotars too
    I have 2000 camry V4 with 100K
  • scottimusscottimus Posts: 4
    Thanks! I never thought about that, I did check Crutchfield.com for any needed installation kits, but didn't even think of a detailed install guide...
  • 94camryv694camryv6 Posts: 4
    I have a 94 Camry V6 with the same problem. Local mechanic mentioned that it could be the fuel filter. He didn't have time to replace it today. When I have it replaced, I'll let you know if that helps.

A note that when this first started about 8 weeks ago, I thought it was the transmission, I have 157K miles. Then, 2 weeks ago, reverse started to slip very bad, then the overdrive button didn't work when I wanted to use 3rd gear to help slow down. I had a used transmission put in. But the jerking is still there.

Hope I can help.
  • jsmack00jsmack00 Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 97 Camry and just the other day the check engine light came on. And me not knowing too much about cars didn't want to take any chances so I went straight to a mechanic. After doing a diagnostic they said it was the 02 sensory, so I say go ahead and replace it. After they were done the check engine light wasn't on anymore so I was all happy, and drove the car straight home, about a quarter mile from the mechanic. Then this morning I turn the car on for the first time since I got back from the mechanic and the light turned on again. So besides going back to the mechanic and demanding that something should be done, is there anything else I should do?
    Thanks...
This discussion has been closed.