Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I'd assume, without knowing more, that there's something amiss with the security system.
    I don't know how much it would cost. Perhaps your best bet is to call a few repair shops in your area and find out that way.

But also keep in mind that the problem may NOT be the sway bar bushing. When you take the car to the shop, you should just describe the symptoms in as much detail as possible and let them figure out what the cause is.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    This article may be helpful for you.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

More information is needed. I assume you bought a new Camry. I never bother with extended warranties, figuring they're a waste of money for reliable cars like the Camry.

It wouldn't surprise me that rentals aren't covered for relatively minor issues like rattles where the car wouldn't have to be kept overnight. Is this a Toyota extended warranty or one supplied by an aftermarket company?

Could you arrange for a friend or co-worker to pick you up when you leave the car for service? Does the dealer offer a free shuttle service to in-town locations?
  • yes, i bought a new carmy LE 10days ago, and bought the extended warranty at the same time. this warranty is bumper to bumper one and includes the rental and road services.

I thought if the rental is free, why not use it instead of bothering friends to pick me up.

the rattling is not biggie, but i wouldn't expect a 10 day old car has this.
  • I just bought a 2000 toyota camry last week...I had it checked out by my mechanic and he said it was in good shape and there wasn't anything wrong with it...I noticed a couple of days ago that when I first turn on the car the check engine light, battery light and another light that looks like water dripping out of something light up, they dont stay lit but they light up briefly when the car is turned on....now I admit I know absolutely nothing about cars and I dont know if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my...it has been driving fine and there is nothing else to make me supsect something is wrong...
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    When you're turning on a Camry, most of the indicator/warning lights light up for a moment just to make sure they're all working. That is not an indication that there is anything wrong, just the opposite. If you have any of the lights come on other than just when you turn it on, you want to look into them more closely.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • slim2slim2 Posts: 20
    I bought a used 02 Camry LE 4 cylinder with 30,000 miles and the previous owner has not change the coolant or transmission fluid. Does anyone know at what mileage they should be changed ?
    I don't know about the 2002 specifically, but for the 2004 and 2005, the coolant used is Toyota Super Long Life and doesn't need to be changed for 5 years or 105,000 miles.

The transmission fluid on 2004 and 05 models does not have to be changed at all if your car is not used under Toyota's "Special Operating Conditions." See your owner's and maintenance manuals for more information. If you don't have the manuals, ask a Toyota dealer, but be firm and make sure they give you the factory recommendations.
  • fredsonfredson Posts: 1
    I have the 1995 Camry Lumiere with 1.8 engine 4 cyl. auto with climate control system, on the start a/c works very good then after some time getting less & less cooler on the end just blowing normal air but the compressor still engage and looks like that some device just by passing the system, another problem observe
    is when you leave the car under the sun for sometime and when you want to use the a/c after starting specially noon time a/c does not work but the compressor again is engaged ,Icould not figure out who controls this trouble some sensor?
    thermostat?? bring to one A/C shop but could not find as well the problem.
    Traveling in the long distance a/c works little bit longer than in city driving .
    Needs help disperately :cry:
  • Hey!!! I have a 2005 Camry SE. Does anyone know where to get the LED flashing lights on the side view mirror???? I need ASAP thanks!!! SOmething like this Image hosted by Photobucket.com but in silver !!!!!">
  • ricareyricarey Posts: 25
    I could be the IAC valve. Sometimes this can be remedied by cleaning it out w/ throttlebody cleaner. I would try to clean it first and see if the idle improves, otherwise you may need to replace it. For a '99 it costs a little over 200 for the part and about an hour or so of labor. The mechanism of the IAC valve gets all dirty and eventually doesn't work properly. Another method is just to give the car gas when you start it...which is fine for those not using remote start. If you don't mind treating your car like it has a carburetor that's a decent solution.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    yes as toyotaken has indicated, the fact that the indicators come on and go off during the start cycle is a good thing. imagine a warning indicator that doesn't light when there's a real problem, because there is something wrong with the indicator!!! it wouldn't serve much purpose would it?

since you admit to not knowing much about cars, my sincere suggestion would be to look in the glove box for an owner's manual for the vehicle and if you find it, take some time in a quiet place to read it cover to cover.

since your 2000 is used and the owner's manual may be absent from the vehicle, i'd recommend that if it cannot be located, hat you either contact the manufacturer or you perform a google search to see where you might purchase one for a reasonable price.

some people may believe it isn't necessary to read their manual and perhaps only consult it when there seems to be a problem...

to fully understand your vehicle and to be prepared for signs of trouble, you can't go wrong thoroughly familiarizing yourself with the purpose behind each dash indicator, the recommended maintenance intervals, location of various fluids, etc.

an owner's manual isn't expensive, and reading it could save you many multiples of its cost over the period of your ownership. consider also that your safety and the safety of your passengers may come down to your recognition of a problem, or proper maintenance of your vehicle based on what you learn from the book.
    Did you call 9-1-1? ;) Sounds like a true emergency here!
    Couldn't agree more about reading the owner's manual. That warning light with what looks like water drops coming out of a container is your low oil pressure warning light. (It's supposed to depict oil dispensed from an old-fashioned container.)

It that light ever comes on while driving (not on startup), you had best stop the engine as soon as possible or you will be looking at an engine replacement!
  • rdavis4rdavis4 Posts: 1
    My AC works fine for about 2 minutes when I start my car, then it shuts down and the light starts flashing on the button. After i shut the car off and turn it back on, it works fine again for about 2 minutes. Please help?????
  • storm4storm4 Posts: 1
    Wife drives an 02 camry (4cyl)

It smokes for a few seconds (out the tailpipe) at startup.

Large light blue/white cloud that has dissipated by the time she backs out of the garage.

Why is it doing this?

Thank you very much, you fellers seem nice and smart.
  • I have a 98 camry LE with 4 cylinders. I want to replace the spark plug by myself. The problem is I can't find the spark plug torque specification. The Haynes maual says it should be 13 ft/lb. The Denso double platinum I bought says it should be 15-22 ft/lb. And my owner' manual doesn't say anything. Which number should I follow?

Another questions is whether I need to use anti-seize. Some sources suggest it is a bad idea because it would mess up the torque.

I am new to maintenance. Any help is appreciated.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Valve stem seals.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    "Which number should I follow?"

Use the spark plug manufacturer's specs.

"Another questions is whether I need to use anti-seize."

Absolutely not.
This discussion has been closed.