Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tig2002tig2002 Posts: 81
    I would suspect the keyless remote control to intermittently transmit panic signal even when you don't press the panic button. Leave the remote transmitter away from car and try operating with key only. Start the car with key, shut it down and see if the problem still persists. If not, I would suggest replacing the transmitter. Can be that simple instead of going through lemon law ;)
  • That is such a great idea! As a matter of fact, I had more or less decided about an hour ago to try exactly that. Thanks for the confirmation of my idea.

When you say "transmitter," I guess you mean the transmitter in the remote. Yes?

Thanks again.
    :)
  • Since my '95 Camry is well out of any warranty, and since I'm not the original owner, is there anything that can be done to get rid of the sludge that's built up? I will be changing the oil on a regular basis to stop any NEW build-up...
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    First of all, do you know if you really have sludge?
  • tig2002tig2002 Posts: 81
    Yes, that's what I mean: transmitter in the remote. Keep the remote as far from the car as possible and try operating with key only.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    Assuming you really do have sludge (gelling) buildup, the only effective way I'm aware of ridding it is complete disassembly of the engine and hot solvent rinsing, AKA, "boiling out", followed by hot water/detergent pressure washing and complete water rinsing followed by drying and carefull application of fresh motor oil to the cleaned pieces to prevent corrosion forming before the engine is reassembled. This stuff formed under the influence of time, heat, and nasty chemistry, so it won't "let go" without some real work. If anyone knows of some verfied effective "pour-it-in-and-clean-yer-motor-while-ya'-drive" miracle chemistry, I'd love to hear about it.

(I was lucky - my dad went halve-sies with me on a '56 Plymouth beater in 1962 that he and I overhauled during spring break in my junior year in high school. That experience made me a lifelong believer in 3,000 mile routine oil changes. Some have ridiculed me for my conservative maintenance philosophy, but, that's OK. I'd rather be ridiculed for giving my personal experience advice than embarrassed at having to seek and submit to common-sense advice.)
  • Thanks, again! I have removed the remote from the key ring and keep it in my home.
  • On the highway my Camry started to seem like "it would give" then accelerate. It kept doing it. The RPM gauge would also rev up as my car would. I wouldn't press on the gas peddle as it was doing this. Also, the spedometer needle bounces back and forth between 30-50 mph and 50-80 mph. It seems to do this more so on the highway when driving faster than 55 mph. The mechanic isn't quite sure but wants to guess my transmissions getting old. Any suggestions???
  • I just bought a 2000 Solara last week. The odor from the vents is unbearable. I called the dealer's service department and he said that probably the car needed an "AC evaporator flush." Did you ever solve the problem w/ your car? Any suggestions? The "flush" is around $100. I can't bear the thought of spending that kind of money. I wonder if that's something I could do myself. Thanks for your time.
  • fidsfids Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Camry (with a sun roof) and recently found several inches of water on the floor of my back seat (driver's side). This is the third time I've had this problem -- and this was the worst episode. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem and/or had a solution.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Park the car out side in the open air with the windowsa down, the blower motor on medium, fresh air flow selected, and now slowly and intermiitentky spray a full can of lysol air freshener/deordorizer into the outside air intake at the bottom, foot, of the windshield.

Now park the car in the garage at night with the windows down so the condensate on the A/C evaporator vanes can evaporate and be "convected" out of the cabin each and every night after you use the A/C.

Google for: EED, electronic evaporator dryer, at airsept.com for my detail.
  • jam36jam36 Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to replace the bulb in the center console that lights up the PRNDL?
  • I purchased my 02 Toyota Camry SE V6 new in 11/01. It is my third Toyota and the only one that has given me consistent problems. The first problem was the skipping in acceleration that I have read numerous times on this board. The dealer stated it was "normal." That was never corrected. I then drove through my first Pennsylvania snow storm and slid sideways down an exit ramp. Great tires. Had to have them replaced that winter. The driver-side window then fell off the track and into the car. Obviously had to have that repaired. The front brakes/roters then had to be replaced prematurely. A year ago the charcoal canister filtration (no idea?) had to be replaced. (All of this, aside from the brakes, was $$ out-of-pocket). The driver-side airbag was recalled and replaced because of safety concerns. Three months ago, the car completely died. Had to have it towed. Mechanic had no clue what was wrong. Narrowed it down to blown fuses (master fuse?) and possible electrical issues. Replaced the battery. Was told that the alternator may be shot. Took it to the dealership, who told me the alternator was fine. Car was not idling correctly, but all appeared to be "fine" ? Took it in for inspection today. It failed emissions. I got a call from the shop this afternoon. The tech stated verbatim: "Your car has problems, man." Seems to think there is a problem with the car's computer system. Have to bring it back tomorrow. Possible bill of $1K pending.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? Most specifically the emissions issue? If so, what is the root and how much should I be looking to pay? I will take it to the dealership as a last resort because they rape their customers. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

This will be my last Toyota.
  • pb111pb111 Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 Camry v6 LE

Coming Home from work yesterday I noticed both turn signals did not work.

Is this a Fuse? Or something else?

Thank You in Advance...
    "Is this a Fuse? Or something else?"

Maybe. Another possibility that immediately comes to mind is a failed turn signal flasher.
  • One of the items cited was a problem with mass airflow sensor. I do understand that the problem isn't miraculously going to disappear and that by law if I am to drive my car it must meet the standards - this was never the issue or point of my concern.

My concern was going to a Dealership with no other information than what I had about why it failed. Thank you for the info re: to check my warranty to see if this is covered. This is the kind of information I was looking for. :(
  • pb111pb111 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response !

Do you know where the fuse might be?

or the turn flasher?

Thanks
    Paul
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    I think emissions are still covered under warranty by Federal law for 5yrs/50k miles. Check owner's manual.
  • I just bought an 89 Camry, 100k miles and all is good except headlights. When I turn switch to headlight on position the tail lights come on but no parking lights or headlights. If I hit the "Flash" (as if I were passing a car) the headlights come on, they just won't come on with the switch in "on" position. I have checked the fuse..what next?

thx

nick
    Fuse locations are covered in your owner's manual. It's anyone's guess where Toyota stuffed the turn signal flasher relay.
This discussion has been closed.