Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tlgoultlgoul Posts: 1
    My 92 Celica GT stated "smoking" and required new valve stem seals at 65K, for $700. Toyota fought hard to not pay, but I had an extended warranty, so they paid about half, after four months of hassle. Now at 120K the smoke has started again. Local Toyota mechanic says it is a "known problem" with the engine in the Celica and the Camry from the early 90's, and Toyota has not come up with a fix for it. They want another $700 to fix it again. Since the extended warranty is long gone, I'm just going shopping for a new car...and will never buy Toyota again.
    Good luck to the rest of you!
  • I have 95 Camry V6 LE with 140,000 miles on it. I abused my car by driving from Columbus to Cincinnati every weekends, but still runs like a new. I have done oil change every 3,000 miles. Does anyone know how many more miles Camry can run? Does it have a known life time? I hope my Camry can run over 300,000 or 400,000!! Please let me know!
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    as long as you get that belt changed...
  • My '90 Camry heater fan stopped working on low and then on medium. Now it only works on high. Sounds like a switch problem to me, but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
  • We had 140,000 on our Camry, could probably have doubled it, but that's another story!

Go to Toyota website,(I think it's toyota.com) use your VIN # and go to Toyota owners, check the longevity/how-many-miles site. You will like the numbers you can look forward to!
  • I have a 1994 4 cyl Camry with 60,000 miles. I recently began noticing that after the engine is shut off, it continues to make a very noticeable clicking sound for several minutes. I think this is a fairly recent occurance since I never noticed it before (at least to this extent) It also seems to make these clicks while the engine is running but it is only audible if I am outside the car and not as nearly as obvious as when the engine is shut off. I had the 60,000 mile service including timing belt replacement a few months ago but cannot say for sure if the noise began before of after this service. I have tried a higher octane gas and it does not seem to make a difference. The car otherwise runs fine. Does anyone know what could be causing this and is it a problem that needs to be addressed?
  • And where does the noise come from ? engine/exhaust system? fuel tank?
  • It is definitely under the hood but tough to pinpoint the exact location. It seems most noticeable in the front part of the engine compartment, i.e. between the radiator and the motor. Two nights ago I drove it by our local dealer and the service advisor said it sounded like the "heat shield" and it was not a problem. Does this make sense? What is a heat shield? Thanks for your help.
  • My Family is a toyota family. We own 2000 4-Runner, T-100, and I drive a 1999 Solara and i have noticed that the 4-runner and the Solara do the same thing. I was told by the Toyota Service Dept. that this was normal and all it is, is that the car is cooling itself down.
  • heat shields are on the muffler, and maybe also on the exhaust maifold. If it slows down as the engine cools (quick with the hood up), its probably that)
  • I first posted the question under topic #1029 (Any Toyota suspension problems?), and didn't get any response, so I'm hoping to get you folk's attention in this Camry topic. Thanks in advance.

We've had our Camry for 3 weeks, and we now notice
    a low frequency tapping sound emanating from the driver side front suspension area (I think). It's not very loud, but it's annoying, and we always hear it. It probably started from day one, we just did not pay much attention since we usaully had the audio on every time we drove it, until one day when the radio was off, the noise suddenly became audible thanks to the quiet interior of this car. It's most noticeble during the first half hour of driving from start up, and also when going over small to moderate road bumps at slow speed.

Any '99 or '00 Camry owner out there having
    similar experience?
  • tomhantomhan Posts: 10
    Refering to your post # 24.

Hope your still out there following these posts. I had the same problem with the front struts as you. My car had 17,000 miles and was out of warranty according to the three year limitation. I called the california Toyota customer service group and asked them if they would consider my car as a candidate for warranty repair because of the low mileage. I was assigned a case number and told that a local dealer would call me within three days to evaluate the problem. Three days later the dealer did in fact call me and told me to bring it by at my convienance. After taking a test drive, the technician agreed the problem exists and said Toyota had gone through a re-design of the strut mounting blocks. Toyota offered to fix them under what they call a courtesy warranty at no charge. I am very impressed and pleased with toyota's response. Technically, they did not have to fix the car and could have told me to take a hike. I guess this is why I have stayed with Toyota for so long. This is my fifth Toyota vehicle.

Good luck in solving your strut situation if you haven't already done so. The number for Toyota customer service can be found on their web page.
  • abt2abt2 Posts: 2
    I WANT TO PULL A HEAVY SAILBOAT AND WONDER HOW MUCH TONGUE WEIGHT THE CAMRY WILL ALLOW. LOOKS TO ME AS THOUGH THE MUFFLER OR TAILPIPE WILL DRAG OR CRUSH--ANYBODY TRIED THIS??? THANKS
  • I have a 96 Camry that has two problems. The first is not Camry specific. My front disc brakes are making a bad grinding sound, but my mechanic showed me that the pads were still good. He cleaned them up--they were very dusty--and the sound went away for a couple weeks. Now that the sound has returned, I am wondering if it is being caused by the metallic pads generating a lot of dust. Does anyone have an idea on this?

My second problem is in the sound of the engine or exhaust duing acceleration. The sound did not occur when I first bought the car several months ago. Now, any acceleration at all causes a faint growling sound in the exhaust system. I do tend to accelerate quickly and drive hard, and this vehicle is only a four cylinder. Is it more likely that the sound is due to exhaust system degradation or due to some kind of engine problem? I have had an oil change but no tune up since purchasing the car. Is my lead foot causing excessive wear and tear?
  • hok1hok1 Posts: 8
    same problems I have with my '90 Camry. In the SUV section under RAV there are interesting posts on how to eliminate the brake noise. Good luck!

The exhaust thing is not a problem if the noise isn't too loud. I don't know what to say. They told me it was the baffling inside the muffler, not to worry unless I couldn't handle the noise.
  • rtl2rtl2 Posts: 7
    I had this happen on my '91 Camry. It was a bad fan resistor. It cost around $80 to have replaced by a local mechanic. By design, when this resistor fails, you still will have use of your fan but only on high speed. Given that this failed during winter on my car, I was happy to have a fan at all!
  • rtl2rtl2 Posts: 7
    I had a metallic rattling sound from the left front of my '99 Camry LE V6 that became noticeable on the way home the day I took delivery of the car. The dealership technician found a loose washer on the left front hub.
  • Do the Day Time Running Lights system on the new 2000 Camry XLE V6 bother anyone. I just hate the fact that I cannot control the lights at all. The DR lights come on in the morning and when I drive into a dark garage, all the lights get switched on. Can't turn them off at all -- Is there anyway I can get around this? I heard that the previous year Camrys have an override switch. Is this true? Thanks.
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    Someone around here may have some information for you, but another good place to check is over in our Sedans conference. You can use the Topic Search feature on the left to find many conversations on Camry's - chances are that this has been discussed in one or more of the very active topics over there.

Good luck!

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • fcngfcng Posts: 16
    Refering to your tranny problem, it is not a problem. Your dealer is just out to get you for the money. Toyota made the tranny stay in third to warm up the engine. When the needle rises for the temperature, the tranny will shift to 4th. I have the link to back up my claim.
    http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/3/wo/G52000JP100pE500Fb/3.3?o800016e%2ehtml
  • etalonetalon Posts: 3
    Thanks rtl2 for offering your opinion. The problem I had was because the dealer did not remove the rubber spacers in the front coil springs when I took delivery. All Camry's that are assembled in Japan have these rubber blocks installed when they are shipped over to the States, according to our service manager.
  • jtimes2jtimes2 Posts: 1
    I bought a 1998 Camry XLE V6 brand new with 17 miles on it in 1998. I have had few problems but let me tell you of a couple to look for. I had to buy new tires at 12,000 miles(mind you I paid $30,000 for the car) the Generals were completely bald with threads showing, if you buy a camry do not except these tires, they are awful and I have spoke with Toyota and my dealer and they are aware of it. My camry had to have a shim kit put on the brakes something was wrong with the brakes and they replaced and balanced my tires for free. Also on the drivers door, it is suppose to automatically shut off your lights, well mine doesn't half the time and I have to turn them off before I get out. Also one more thing this car is an excellent car besides these things, I do recommend them and my dealer is wonderful. The XLE V6 has alot of power and alot of accessories.
  • d28n20d28n20 Posts: 1
    Can anyone explain the "blue smoke" valve stem oil seal problem that these cars seem to have? Just bought one 3 days ago for my daughter and took it back to the dealer today because of this blue smoke. From what I am reading tonight this problem is a long standing issue with Toyota cars is this right? And, how much am I looking at paying on getting this fixed. The dealer said he had no idea that the car had this problem and that it did'nt to this when it was there. Do I have any
    recourse with this car?
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Posts: 88
    If it only happens at startup.
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    lead to sludge. What is sludge? Read the Camry topic. And after you do as I have asked about the oil cap, please report there what you find. I also would like to say that anyone with a 1992 or newer Camry with at least 80K miles that has been cared for "by the book" (5000 mile oil changes) please go out and look under your oil cap. Go to the Toyota Camry topic and report what you see.
  • I have a 1-year old Toyota Camry CE 1999 with 11,000 miles. I bought it new.
    Recently I parked it in my garage and hour later a front passenger window blow out all by itself. It was all covered cracks and looked like a spider web. I checked for any object that could fell on the window and found nothing. I know for sure that nobody was in the garage.
    I contacted dealership – they did not hear about such thing and their explanation is that I had a chip on a window. I guess it is possible, but why the window did not break when I was driving the car and broke hour later while sitting in the garage? Any thoughts?
  • abarbeeabarbee Posts: 6
    As posted earlier my sister 98 Camry was just turned down by Austin Tx Dealer for Warranty....then Gulf States Toyota...and we are now waiting for a decision from California...a woman in charge of Customer Relations....so far nothing but a run around as my sister has had to rent a car for more than two weeks while they have been developing a story of absolutely no substance to fend off a simple warranty request. When the car was purchased they had a program to give a loaner car for duration of repair time...nice 3 color brochure to catch your eye. Anyway the car has had multiple oil changes and only has 19,000 miles and has sludge like a grease trap. The only thing they have saidis it didn't leave the dealership like this.

Sorry for the long winded post..but they are lucky it is my sisters car not mine....Presently I am ready to have some art students make me a paper mache lemon about ten feet in diameter and start parking it in front of Toyata Dealerships with my e-mail address. I suggested to my sister that she buy a Toyota based on what I had heard from a few people...My neighbor is waiting to hear the outcome of my sisters case as they had asked about her Camry several months ago and I had given a good report.I know Toyota doesn't really give a damn about my sister but I do intend to cost they far more in bad publicity and court costs than simply doing the warranty work required instead of trying to weasle out of their responsibilities. Thanks for any tips or suggestions...abarbee@cowboystuff.com
  • I just finished my 2nd winter with the 95 Camry I
    bought in '98 and both years had difficulty
    getting the windows to defrost properly. They fog up quickly with myself, my wife and my 2year old in the car, and even sometimes with just me.

I know some cars have unique needs when it comes
    to defrosting, some combination of fan speed,
    temperature adjustment and outside/inside air, but
    I just haven't been able to get it right for two
    years now! I have tried every combination I know including turning the a/c on with the defroster?

I mentioned something to a Toyota salesman
    recently and he made a comment, "Oh, yeah, we were
    having trouble with the defrosters & the cars foggin up in 95, but that problem's been fixed."

Anyone else out there have similar problems? Know
    a fix?
  • abarbeeabarbee Posts: 6
    an update....Toyota's Customer Relations Dept in California...is now telling me that there is little they can do for another week till Mr Kerchoff from Gulf States Toyota comes back from vacation since his office in Houston made the decision to not honor the warranty....we had a bit of a heated conversation as I inquired who would be paying for the rental car for another week while we waited for this vacation to end....

She asked me if I would like to skip this process and go directly to arbitration.....The sheer nerve of Toyota.... It appears that the distributor points to the dealer ..the dealer...points to Toyota..and Toyota points to the door....we should have a decision on my sisters car within a week which will mean we have been renting a car for the better part of a month before a decision is made by California Toyota.

To all you satisified Camry owners out there change your oil and keep every reciept or you will be made to feel like a criminal. My sisters cars....BMW...a Mercury..a Ford Tarus have all been serviced by the same independent garage in Downtown Austin for over sixteen years....Are they saying she lost her mind and quit changing her oil after all these years? I wish I knew what they were really saying except it shouldn't look like that. It is gunked up with black [non-permissible content removed] and who knows how it got that way? She doesn't and I surely don't...but I guess the big Corp is going to keep us waiting another week...then send us to arbitration....then on to who knows what...

My sister is much calmer about her prediciment than I am...in fact I am reserving a domain name that I will post here later next week if things go as I expect they will for other people to come to with warranty gripes so we can find out just how many people have had a similar experience. I realize not all are treated this way from the many kind words I have read posted by some but for those like Rinehart and my sister it is a very frustrating experience to believe you are protected by a warranty and then you are just dumped.

The internet I believe has put the shoe on the other foot and from the mail I now have without even posting on other automotive sites(could someone e-mail me more sites where I might post)I think Toyota has standard run around if it is an expensive warranty item. I cannot prove that yet but I sense it already. They didn't want to discuss any other cases as "All cars and use of cars in different areas of the country give different results" Bah.......humbug....

Ms Fairbrother (her name no joke) told me she did not want to hear about e-mails I recieved from others with a similar experience and problems with their cars. This is not what I would call Customer Relations...as I have said my sister is more patient than I am but it looks like the big run around.
    Once again Thanks for all the tips and help... abarbee@cowboystuff.com
  • mxylplik2mxylplik2 Posts: 19
    Notice how the latest Camry's don't have break-away side mirrors. Its surprising that Toyota has not provided this feature although I'm sure many customers want it. My sales guy said something like "less wind noise" but the Lexus ES 300 (basically the same car) has the break-away mirrors and you would think the Lexus would have less wind noise!

Has anyone explored the feasibility of having the Lexus ES 300 mirrors put on the Camry XLE (the one with the tweeter right next to the mirror)? If so, how much would it cost to have it installed by the dealer? The job would be complicated as the tweeter is in the housing right next to the mirror. Maybe I could sell my Camry mirrors to the junkyard.
This discussion has been closed.