Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• lasher5lasher5 Posts: 22
    I too have a 02 Camry and I get a rattle or squeak from the center dash stack. My center armrest squeaks as well. My carpeting is developing fuzz balls. So are the fabric inserts on the inside door panels. The 4 cyl. engine is great. I'm loath to have the dealer try to fix the squeak. My last car to have a squeak in the dash came back from the dealer much worse.
  • morinkmorink Posts: 12
    Hello,

While driving anywhere between 40 and 55 in overdrive the car intermittently lags/cuts back for a couple of seconds and then picks back up again. When this is happening the RPM's drop by 500 to 700 RPM and then pops back up when the car seems to go back to normal driving. In taking a quess it would almost seem like the car is not getting spark, fuel or something along those lines for that period when this is happening (no check engine lights of course). I originally thought that the problem was shifting in and out of overdrive but this is not the case. When the car normally comes out of overdrive the RPM's would go higher. This has been happening since I purchased the car about a week ago. has anyone else experienced this problem ?

I traded in my vehicle because it was starting to spend more time in the garage and costing me more money than what it was worth. I thought that I would go with a brand new vehicle to get away from this. GO FIGURE I would get the Camry that is probably going to trouble ridden.
    My 2002 Camry LE V6 is having the same "Cold Shock Shift" problem as messages #10 and #11. When first starting a cold engine I would expect the idle to be fast (1700 to 2000 RPM) depending on the outside temperature. If I do not let my car warm up long enough (let RPM come down between 600, 700) the car will thud/clunk into drive. If I let my car warm up to bring the RPM down between 600, 700 the car shifts into drive with just a slight thud (much better). On the cars that are experiencing the thud/cluck into drive at the higher RPM I would think that the drive train is not as tight as the other Camrys our year that are not having this problem. I should be able (at cold RPM) be able to hold the brake and shift into drive with no thud/clucking sound. This to me indicates a little play somewhere. That is my take. Those of you having the problem try letting your car warm up ( 600 to 700 RPM) a little more in the morning before shifting into gear.
  • stans40stans40 Posts: 16
    I have noticed when going up a hill when the AT shifts from 2nd to 1st it is very abrupt. More so than in other cars I have owned. In other shifts the AT is very smooth. Anyone else noticed this?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    TSB #: EG013-01
    Date: SEP 01
    Topic: A/T - Shift Quality Improvements

If someone has the actual TSB to this, it would greatly help.

There should be actually 2 TSB's regards to shift quality improvement (www.nhtsa.dot.gov)
  • pkl88pkl88 Posts: 8
    Hi Guys,

My apology if this question had been asked and answered in prior posts, I looked back a bit but didn't see any discussions. Feel free to point me to the past posting.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone from the DFW area (actually I'm in Plano/Richardson area) will share their dealership service experiences and suggestions. I've got a 99 Camry that need its 30K checkup and tuneup, ummm, actually 40K now. Being unfamiliar with the dealerships around, I need some guidance so won't get chewed up by sharks!

Any suggestion is welcome! TIA!

- Paul

PS: If you feel more comfortable conversing in private, please email me at pkl88@yahoo.com. Thanks again!!!
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    There is no tune up required at 30 k. Actually not much needs to be done, tranny fluid maybe, coolant, maybe. Air filter, maybe, all depend on whether done before. That's about it. Rest in the manual is fluff for the dealer.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    I am awaiting delivery of my Camry and this Cold Shift thing has me perturbed. For 6 years I had a similar occurence on my Mercury Mystique. Several times a week when I shifted into drive you'd hear this BIG clunk. It never happened at home but only at work. I finally figured out that it must have something to to do with shifting into drive first instead of reverse. In the mornings I always backed out of the driveway and never had the THUNK problem. At lunch though, or after work I'd shift into drive and would sometimes get the THUNK. Has anyone noticed this similarity with the Camry?

More importantly, WHAT CAN BE DONE?
  • aka_kilikaaka_kilika Posts: 2
    I have a 02 Camry SE with ABS and also noticing brake squeal at 1300 miles. The dealer told me it was a common problem and to clean the wheels with the pressure wash at the car wash to remove the brake dust generated during the break-in period.
  • john345john345 Posts: 6
    I also had a center dash rattle in my 2002 Camry. It sounded like the source was between the clock and the radio, like a loose wire vibrating. The dealership removed the trim panel in this area, made sure nothing was loose, and reinstalled the trim. I haven't heard the rattle since.
  • pkl88pkl88 Posts: 8
    One dealer I've contacted charge ~$430 for all that you mentioned: air filter, oil filter, tire rotation, flush out coolant, etc. I think that's too much and will check with other shops.

- Paul
  • rev4rev4 Posts: 38
    In topic # 821 I had complained about a rattle coming from my dash............tonight my wife was in the passenger seat and I asked her if she could locate it better than I could.....she found it..............it was my sun glasses vibrating in the sun glasses holder above the windshield where the map lights are..........I turned the sun glasses with the lens facing up and the "rattle" went away!!!!!!!!!!! It was that simple....I'm very relieved... because now I'm back to a quiet as a tomb interior......... Really like this car.
  • jwkwizjwkwiz Posts: 1
    Hello

Can anyone help my dilemna. My wife was driving and the car just died, we had it towed home. It cranks fine, I checked for spark; no spark, rotor turns ok so timing belt must be fine. Ignition setup under distributor cap looks fine nothing burnt or cracked. I have 120k miles on it, Was doing great till now any help would be appreciated.

jwkwiz
  • c0kec0ke Posts: 44
    I told my service advisor about the thunk and he said they all do this. That even his 2000 V6 LE does it.

It occurs to me that this transmission is touted to be an all-new design. So surely this thunk wasn't "retained" in the new design.

Isn't there a place to write ... a transportation or safety board we can voice consumer complaints. If this is repair able by reburning the ROM with a different program then I think we deserve to know it.

The last time I mentioned this the service advisor told me that a check light would go on if the computer detected a problem with the transmission and not to worry. Groan ... I can hardly wait.

But they don't all do it. My '85 Camry doesn't do it and it runs great.
  • drejdrej Posts: 119
    HI, see the post 146, "car_ hunter" had similar problems "Hesitation, sputtering & now not starting at all!" Maybe he can help us with what solved his problem? drej
  • royallenroyallen Posts: 224
    This sounds like a bad ignition coil (I had this on my '92)or could be a fault in the power to the coil.
    Bad coil, may be bad pickup assembly also.

Also 87-91 Camry 4 cylinder have a history of leaking distributor O-rings
  • c0kec0ke Posts: 44
    There is also an "ignitor" module perhaps that could have gone out. This happened to me on my '85 years ago.

On another car last year ... you don't want to hear this ... the computer died! On that vehicle I replaced it with a rebuilt unit by Python for a LOT less than the dealer would have sold it.

Good luck
  • alank8alank8 Posts: 3
    I have 780 miles on my new Camry and have noticed a rubbing sound when the wheel is turned fully to the left or right and I'm entering or leaving a driveway. Does anyone else have a similar problem, if so has it been resolved.
    I also have noticed the morning cold shift shock that other people have been referring to. I find that by letting it run for a minute or so the idle comes down low enough so that I barely hear it. My power driver's seat had been moving about 1/4 inch on acceleration but by repositioning it I haven't felt it move again.
    Hello,

At this time (450 miles) I am not to happy with the way my new Camry has been shifting. Before I contact my Toyota service rep. I want to hear from Toyota directly if they are aware of any shifting issues with the 2002 Camry V6. The following is what I sent Toyota.

Hello,

I have just purchased a 2002 Camry LE V6 automatic (with overdrive). I have 450 miles on the vehicle at this time. I am not very happy with the way the car shifts when left in overdrive. I travel 25 miles one way on back roads at which I can maintain speeds between 40 and 55. Moving along between these speeds I feel the car intermittently holding back and letting go (I can see the RPM's drop by 500 RPM and then go back up again when this happens). This is very annoying to me. This does this quite often on my commute to and from work. The owners manual says to leave the car in overdrive and I only need to take it out when climbing hills at lower speeds and when hauling a trailer. I feel that this should not be doing this in the manner I am driving the car. I have a 1999 toyota corolla with overdrive which I leave in overdrive all the time and do not notice this type of problem.

Before I contact my service rep. (who I don't trust to get a straight answer) I want to hear from Toyota directly if they are aware of any shifting issues in this vehicle. I have been reading some Toyota news groups (cars my year) and they said that there are EPROM updates to take care of some transmission issues. Are there ANY updates that you are aware of that need to be done to take care of any type of shifting problems. I do not want to get the run around from the service department that is why I am going to Toyota directly for the answer.

Thank You
    Kurt Morin
    There are some TSB's issued by Toyota Motor Company in regards to the shifting issues of the automatic transmissions. Your local dealership should have them (unless they are trying to BS with you)
  • jsamplesjsamples Posts: 2
    I'm #10. I tried warming up the car when this "cold shift shock" became a big issue. No luck there, it still jumps forward. Yes, please write to the US Safety Board - I've done that, but they need numbers. My transmission would act up at 40 mph, rpms would drop, then suddenly raise. After much ado with the district rep, my local dealer readjusted the shift points with new software. I also have "noise" and "thunking" when turning fast to the right into a driveway. I have yet to deal with that. This "new" Camry is very bland - I may not keep it!
    We have a RAV, I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened...no clicking, no noise...nothing. I immediately turned the again and it started right up. I don't drive the car often so Iassummed that perhaps I did not turn the key far enough the first time. I mentioned this to my wife a few days later and she said this happened to her twice in the last few months. I took the car to Toyota and they tested the battery, hooked it to the computer etc. and found nothing. They said to listen for a clicking which could indicate the starter is going--but we never heard that. The problem has only happened 3 times in 6 - 8 weeks.

Anyone ever have a similar problem or any idea what may be wrong...if anything?
    We have a RAV, I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened...no clicking, no noise...nothing. I immediately turned the again and it started right up. I don't drive the car often so Iassummed that perhaps I did not turn the key far enough the first time. I mentioned this to my wife a few days later and she said this happened to her twice in the last few months. I took the car to Toyota and they tested the battery, hooked it to the computer etc. and found nothing. They said to listen for a clicking which could indicate the starter is going--but we never heard that. The problem has only happened 3 times in 6 - 8 weeks.

Anyone ever have a similar problem or any idea what may be wrong...if anything?
    My wife just called...This just happened again at Blockbuster Video...Car would not start after two attempts - no clicking or noise or anything. Some dude saw what was happening and said to put the car in nuetral and try to start it...IT WORKED. (Perhaps it was a coincidence - perhaps it would have started if she had turned the key in Park a third time...?) She has since been able to start and restart the car in park. The guy worked for Ford and said their cars have some sort of Safety switch that goes bad...he did not elaborate. We called Toyota back and I guess they told my wife there is such a part but to watch the situation and see if this is consistently the problem.

Again, anyone ever hear of something like this or what it costs to fix...hopefully it is covered under our Extened care Platimum!
    3 times in the last 2 months while starting our RAV, you turn the key and nothing happens. Do it a second time and the car starts right up. I took it to Toyota today and they found nothing wrong but suggested that we listen for a clicking sound that might indicate the starter was going. (We never heard any sound).

My wife just called...This just happened again at Blockbuster Video...Car would not start after TWO attempts this time - no clicking or noise or anything. Some dude saw what was happening and said to put the car in nuetral and try to start it...IT WORKED. (Perhaps it was a coincidence - perhaps it would have started if she had turned the key in Park a third time...?) She has since been able to start and restart the car in park. The guy worked for Ford and said their cars have some sort of Safety switch that goes bad...he did not elaborate. We called Toyota back and I guess they told my wife there is such a part but to watch the situation and see if this is consistently the problem.

Again, anyone ever hear of something like this or what it costs to fix...hopefully it is covered under our Extened care Platimum!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    which is the switch that only allows the starter to operate when the transmission is in park or neutral. It is a little gizmo mounted on the side of your transmission, and even if you have to pay to replace it, it won't be too bad. But if your warranty is bumper to bumper, it will certainly be covered. If your warranty is only powertrain components, it will not. I had an old corolla do this, and I was able to get away with it for a long long time by jiggering the gear selector if it was misbehaving, or by shifting to neutral. Eventually it will wear out completely, but it can take a long time to do that, during which time it is still partially working.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I guess if it continues I should just have the dealer replace it....or must I wait until it goes all together...I guess I'll have to see what they say. Thanks again!
  • gp4gp4 Posts: 9
    lasher, does the rattle in the center stack and the squeak in the center armrest happen all the time?
    Hello 8u6hfd,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I definetly have strange shifting problems going on with my new Camry. I sent Toyota the message as indicated in #25 and I just received a reply this morning stating that they are not aware of any shifting problems in these vehicles (bull !!!). I am planning on going to my service rep. this afternoon and have a service tech. drive the car. I know that they are going to experience the symtom but can almost guarantee you that they are going to say that this is normal because GUESS WHAT !!! I have no check light. If they tell me this then am going to insist that they let me test drive another 2002 to see if that one has the same symtoms as mine.

I cannot believe that toyota is not aware of ANY shifting/transmission problems on that particular car. I just feel like they are trying to shaft me. Well I guess the meeting this after with the service rep. may still have hope.
This discussion has been closed.