Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 2002camry2002camry Posts: 20
    I recently purchased a 2002 Camry XLE V6. I love driving it. It's smooth and powerful. I've been hearing wind noise coming from the center pillar. It seems that whenever I get above 80km/h (50mph) I hear wind coming from what seems to be the adjustable shoulder belt mechanism. Anybody out there experiencing a similar thing. Solutions anyone????
    I recently purchased a 2002 Camry XLE V6. I love driving it. It's smooth and powerful. I've been hearing wind noise coming from the center pillar. It seems that whenever I get above 80km/h (50mph) I hear wind coming from what seems to be the adjustable shoulder belt mechanism. Anybody out there experiencing a similar thing. Solutions anyone????
  • Our 99 Camry had the same problem on left front strut. The dealer replaced the front upper strut mounts, but I noticed the noise still there. So I called next day and scheduled another check. This time they replaced whole set of left front strut under warranty, and the noise was gone. Now we are worrying about the right front strut since the warranty will expire soon.
  • FYI.

Brakes - Pad Clicking Noise
    BRAKES
    BR004-00

October 20, 2000

Title:
    BRAKE PAD CLICKING NOISE

Models:
    '90- '00 All Models

Introduction
    A clicking type noise may be noticed when first applying the brakes after changing vehicle travel direction (Drive/Forward to Reverse, Reverse to Drive/Forward). This is a normal noise caused by the required brake pad-to-caliper clearances. When the direction of travel is changed, the brake pads may "shift" towards the new direction of travel. When the brake pad contacts the caliper, a clicking noise may be heard.

To minimize this clicking noise, a disc brake caliper grease has been made available for use during brake service/maintenance operations. Under normal usage conditions this grease should be effective for a period of 6 months to 1 year.

Applicable Vehicles
    1990 - 2000 model year Toyota vehicles, all models.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    ...coming from the car stereo area...quiet sometimes rattles others. Anyone else have this and/or a solution?

(Also have vibrations at ears level by seat belt adjusters on doors)
    I have a 2002 Camry XLE also and my trunk opens approx. 8-10inches using the remote or my keys. I think the amount it opens depends on the two cross spring that I see near the rear or the trunk. But I'm only guessing.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Posts: 174
    My friend has a 1997 XLE and I am at a loss to help him. He recently, only twice, has found water, about 1/4-1/2" deep in the rear passenger side footwell. The water is clear.

We assume it is either coming in from the moon roof or the drains for it. But we can't find the leak. Putting water over the car does not make any water we can see come in the car. Once again, let me say the water is only in the rear passenger's side.

Does anyone know where the drains are for the moon roof?

Thanks,

Ron Brooks
  • Love my 94 Camry, 93,000 miles problem free. OK, 2 minor problems that I'm looking for advice on. First is the antenna does not completely extend when switching on the radio, and reception is hurting because of it. Second is the ABS light is on and they don't work. Is that worth getting fixed, and if so, by whom?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    You're in for some expensive repairs.

New antenna mast and motor. Ouch

ABS, get it fixed...may prevent an accident.
  • jdeibjdeib Posts: 70
    The Antenna Mast needs to be replaced. I think every Camry from that era that had the power antenna had this problem. I had the same problem on my '92 about three years ago, and the Toyota dealer charge to replace the antenna was about $65.

I don't know about your ABS, but with my '92(non-ABS), the brake light kept lighting up when I would go around curves. It turned out that my brake fluid was a bit low, and the sensor would trigger when the fluid would slosh around on the curves. Hopefully it's that simple.

Good luck.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Ours broke and could never get it fixed right. My advise, get a regular antenna and leave it at that! The dealer here in south florida wanted a ridiculous price for the work, so just got the whip kind. A lot cheaper and radio worked fine!

The Sandman :-)
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    made by Harada
    pep boys sells them for $19
    same as OE
    take out the old one put in the new one (may have to open the "case" in the trunk if a piece is broken off
  • ...coming from the car stereo area...quiet sometimes rattles others. Other rattles in each door at ear level....car made in May...Anyone else have this and/or a solution?
  • Hi folks,
    I just bought a XLE 4 cyl. with side air bag option. I don't see the heated side mirror option, which I though is standard for XLE. any idea?
  • jtan3jtan3 Posts: 6
    Hi folks,

I have a Camry LE 1999 model. Just in this two months, I have got 3 engine problem warning from my car. After checking with the dealer service center. Here what they found and fixed:
    1) Engine Control unit Replaced (covered)
    2) Air fuel sensor replaced
    3) Oxygen sensor replaced (2 & 3 are not covered after 3 years and I bought the car 3year+ ago)
    I wonder if this are common problem in Camry? 3 replacement in 2 months doesn't reflect Toyota is a reliable car to me.
    Any comments or suggestions above?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    The air-fuel sensor is the oxygen sensor.

Something I like to know, is what codes did the OBDII computer spat out.
  • daveqdaveq Posts: 20
    Heated side mirror is standard on XLE
  • john345john345 Posts: 6
    I had a similar rattle around the stereo in my 2002 SE. It sounded to me like a loose wire or something similar. The dealer just removed the trim piece around the stereo, checked for anything loose, and reinstalled the trim. It hasn't rattled since. Around the doors, I don't know if this is what you're hearing but you might try a little silicone spray on the rubber weatherstripping around the door. I heard a little rubbing, creaking sound around the doors sometimes and using the spray fixed that problem.
  • AT it's oil change I'll have the dealer pop the trim, perhaps something is loose. The door rattle sounds about the same...like something behind a piece of plastic vibrating....I'll try the silicon though...who knows....

It's a shame and embarassing to have these cheapie noises in an otherwise finely crafted automobile.
  • jtan3jtan3 Posts: 6
    Hi 8u6hfd

According to the description in my invoices:
    The code found were:
    1) P0136 - Oxygen Sensor Part# 8946506020
    2) P0171 - Air Fuel Sensor Part# 8946733011

Are you sure Air-fuel is oxygen sensor?
This discussion has been closed.