Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Are the Air Conditioner/Rear Defroster buttons backlit on a 92 Camry? The indicator lights function properly but the buttons themselves are not lit.

The dealer swears that the dash lights are working "coast to coast", but I thought that these buttons were illuminated before (it's our kids' car now, so I rarely drive it)

Thanks
  • Ref. #1530 & #1531. Thank you "alcan". I tried your suggestion. It solved my problem. You are a real expert.
  • dchoppdchopp Posts: 256
    Kind of early to change the filter todays oils do not need additives. I would find another place to have my car serviced.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    You're welcome. Glad to hear you got it corrected.
  • Hi I recently looked at my spedomiter on my camry and it was stuck on zero and wasn't regeristing how fast I was going. Then I stoped and started up again and it worked fine. This has happen 3 times so far does anyone have any idea what this might be thanks for your help.
    Brent
  • Hope that this orioblem sticks so you get a better trade valure, with the lower mialage
  • cgwongcgwong Posts: 3
    96 toyota camry. it's been changed every 11 months since i got the car in december '95.

toyota has changed it everytime. dealer willingly had done it while car was under 50K warranty.

last couple times out of warranty, it has been a major struggle. dealer begrudgingly has covered. don't understand why I should pay if it is inherently defective part since the get go that Toyota hasn't been able to fix.

now, having problems with car stalling intermittently without warning. idle drops, car starts shaking and then loses all power. usually restarts after turning on emergency lights, throwing car into neutral or park and gunning engine to restart engine.

have not been able to duplicate at dealership (of course...)

dealer's service manager says that it's because i don't drive car enough. I only do city driving and the solution to this is to "sell the car".

anyone else having problems?
  • rbm60rbm60 Posts: 1
    Have any of you out there had problems aligning your 2004 Solara. Mine drifts to the left and they can't seem to make it stop.
  • Is this something I can replace myself or is it worth the $60 to have Tiyita do it...also, any idea what the part costs...sounds pricey.....
  • I get a film on my windows, supposedly from fumes given off by the platsics in my 02 Camry. I must clean the windows every 4 months or so. Trouble is that film tends to cause streaking, ie the windows are difficult to clean. I tried using Windex with both paper towels and tissue paper...still a real pain. Anyone have some sort of brew that will get the windows clean with minimal exertion and no streaking?
  • manu7manu7 Posts: 1
    I have a '93 camry 4cyl.
    When i start it for the first time in the day it goes out fine ( although initially it gives out a little white smoke). After driving it for quite a distance (8-10 miles) and letting it rest, when i start driving the car again, it leaves a huge puff of white smoke behind.
    Then the car works normally until brought to a stop. This usually happens when the car is kept resting for a short duration ( less than an hour or so).
    Any suggestions?Thanks!
  • kybillkybill Posts: 44
    I've fought that streaking problem on every vehicle I've owned. It's not just plasticers, but a combination of all kinds of gunk. I've tried all manner of cleaners, but they all seem to streak or leave a fogging of the glass. The best thing I've found is to just dry wipe the glass with a good cotton bath towel. It requires a bit of exertion, but leaves no residue to attract dirt. Hope this helps.
  • little pogi Its almost a week you cleaned the IAC valve let me know if every thing is running fine. I read in the book it says I have to remove whole throttle assembly to get to this valve. Is it easy or I need some special tools or skills?

Awaiting for your comments.....
  • I just got the sign for the Malfunction Lamp on my 96 CAMRY LE. The manual says there might be a problem with the engine or transmssion electrical system. I have appt with the dealer in 2 days. They said it is a probably a problem in the computer circuit but I can drive it for a while.

IS this a serious problem and how much does it cost to get this fixed normally.?

Thanks in adavance.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Could be anything from a loose gas cap to a defective catalytic converter. There's no average repair cost as such. Depends on what's wrong. The only way to tell is to have the diagnostic trouble codes retrieved from the engine control computer, which AutoZone will do for free.
  • I have 1996 Camry LE which is displaying the Check engine. I took to a Toyota Dealer and they said the Emissions Control was malfunctioning VSV at Charcoal Canister not Switching, to clear the problem they will have to replace this the VSP unit and want $250 for the part + $100 for the labor.

Are they asking too much and if so will a regular mechanic be able to do this for less?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback,
  • I have 1996 Camry LE which is displaying the Check engine. I took to a Toyota Dealer and they said the Emissions Control was malfunctioning VSV at Charcoal Canister not Switching, to clear the problem they will have to replace this the VSP unit and want $250 for the part + $100 for the labor.

Are they asking too much and if so will a regular mechanic be able to do this for less?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback,
  • 1998 Camry XLE V6 - 91000 miles.
    This is in response to message 280, 289, and 274. After my experience with the IAC valve I just had to share in hopes of preventing another sale of an overpriced part that basically just needs to be cleaned.

I replaced this valve myself. I knew this was the cause of my idle problem based on a friend who had the same problem. Also the local Toyota dealer says they replace these things everyday. You would think Toyota would come up with a solution.

Yes - the only way to replace it is to remove the the throttle body (TB). The IAC valve is on the bottom of the TB with no access. The 4 screws that hold the valve to the TB were so tight I had to grab them with vice grips to break them loose! Be prepared to lose some coolant as their are two coolant hoses and a manifold air hose that connects to the IAC. I did not replace the gasket between the TB and the manifold. Treat it carefully and you should be OK.

I discovered that the valve was stuck in the closed position due to carbon deposits. I was able to remove the electronic activator and work the valve back and forth with my fingers. A little solvent and it now works freely. Had I known this going in I could have easily done this same thing WITHOUT removing and replacing the IAC valve. The electronic actuator is easily accessible. Remove the large rubber intake hose and there is the electronic actuator (right below the butterfly throttle valve). Remove the 2 screws and pull it off. Twist the post (end of the valve mechanism) with fingers or something that will not mar it until it moves freely between the extreme positions. Reassemble and you are running like new again! Probably not a long term solution but a lot cheaper! I could do this procedure in about 15 to 30 minutes.

Ideally, some type of spray aerosol that could be sprayed up the IAC valve intake tube that connects to the intake manifold would be able to clean the valve and keep it in good working condition.
  • tmt1961tmt1961 Posts: 14
    i have the same problem as you andrelaplume, sometimes it does not crank at 1st try, have to try a few times to crank. i see your post what happens to your rav4 starting problem.thanks,
  • That was a while back but as I recall the solution to the problem was to replace the Nuetral Saftey Switch...it was under warranty at the time but still I do not think it was really Expensive...$100 - $150 or less....not that that is cheap. Since replacement the problem has not returned.
This discussion has been closed.