Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• yankeryanker Posts: 156
    Anyone have a problem with the shifter on a 97 Camry LE? The car was driven about 400 miles and at the end of this run the shifter locked. It did feel a little loose but this a new problem. it has over 80000
  • noise from all four wheels when cold or first thing in the morning- noise in left front remains. shows up especially on rough roads, pot holes, speed bumps I'm told A frame bushings by an independent with no fix other than a major A-frame re-bush. Any successes with strut/tower bushing change out? The noise is more annoying than anything else. Any success with dealer change-out?
  • Over the past year there have been sporadic posts about Camry's steering drifting to the left. We have a 2003 with 6000 miles on it and it definately pulls left on the highway. We've had the alignment adjusted by the dealer and a second time by a Goodyear tire dealer who printed out the specs, which are now dead-on. This drifting is not due to the road crown. I have a 2003 Saab that I drive on the same roads and it tracks straight and true. Does anyone have any info on this problem? There are numerous posts about this on the internet, but has anyone found a cure? Is there any hope for those of us who are drifting left???

****Mooselook****
  • Hi

I brought a new camry about 2 months back.04 LE I dont drive a lot.Currenlty have 800 miles on the car.
    I recently noticed a noise coming from the rear when ever i apply brakes.I took my car to the dealer.He told me it is because of the Adjustor spring and its a minor problem and it should be fine after he replaced the spring.Since this is a new car and not my area of expertise,i want to know whether I can trust what the dealer is saying

Thanks
  • I was driving down the street and my car just cut off. no warning that I even had a problem. I try to start the car again to my surpise it wouldn't start. I change the battery two months ago. It alway has a fresh oil change. What could be the problem? It sounds like it wants to start but won't turn over all the way. Can someone help me?
  • I have a 2002 Toyota Camry LE 30,800 and I started experiencing the creaking noise in my steering wheel a couple weeks ago. I took it to the mechanic and they found a service bulletin about it:

Technical Service Bulletin: ST002-03
    Issued: JUN 03
    Title: Steering - Steering Column Noise When Turning

The mechanic explained that it was a rubber lining that wasn't lubricated between the wheel and the firewall (not sure if I'm saying this correctly) or something of the sort. I saw the bulletin and it applied to 2002/2003 models within a certain range of IDs. He applied the grease at no charge and my horn still works fine. The wheel turns fine now.

This also falls under your 36,000/36 month warranty if applicable.
  • ivinivin Posts: 1
    since you said the scanner could not pick up the problem, i suggest that you check the water passages to the inlet manford.Their should be a thermal valve opening the air by pass system to let the vehicle idle up and afeter the wax in side has melted the by pass is closed and thus drops the idling to normal.
    I would recommend that the water passagers be cleaned and lets see what comes
  • jakee2jakee2 Posts: 2
    I found a 2000 Camry from a Toyota dealer that I like alot. The drawback is that it has 91000 miles but the price is within my budget. The car appears to be in good condition aside from general maintenance requirements. I know I need to change all the fluids, timing belt and tune up (around $500). I have made an offer of $8400 and they accepted. The car comes with a 12 month / 12000 mile waranty on the drive train. I am thinking of a lower offer before proceeding with a bumper to bumper inspection. Any thoughts on problem areas or repair issues to consider before I proceed?
  • gennagenna Posts: 4
    I dont have a owner manual.so i am asking what type of engine is in a 92 camry lumiere 2.0
    i recently change the rear disc pads and after that there is always a squeaky souund ,in the morning i notice that when i brake there is a sound in the front end also a sound whenever i turn the steering.
  • emtemt Posts: 39
    I have a 96 camry 4cyl and what is the recomended miles for replacement of the timing belt? I read the owners manual but it confused me more. The car has 66k on it now. Thanks.
  • profksprofks Posts: 12
    I believe that the interval for a 96 Camry is 60,000 miles. In other words, you are technically riding on borrowed timing belt time. However, I had a friend who ran his out to 96,000 miles before the belt snapped. There is obviously some slack built into the belt life, but if it does indeed fail, you will be having the car towed in for the replacement.
  • tcjontcjon Posts: 2
    I have an '01 Camry LE 2.2L with AT. When driving through heavy rain conditions +/or unexpected standing water, I suddenly hear a bizarre howling/roaring sound, and feel a very heavy vibration. I pull off immediately and wait about 3 to 5 minutes, after which time the problem resolves, and I can resume driving. (I don't turn engine off...) The RPM doesn't drop. The dealer mechanic said it might be the Traction Control system?! However, I don't think my car even has Traction Control. Anybody out there familiar with this problem, and who the culprit is; and what the solution is? Thanks!, tcjon
  • I'm looking at a 93 Camry LE that has been garaged for the last 3 years. The car hasn't run in the 3 years, (the owner passed away). The car is not on blocks, so chances are the tires will need to be replaced. I'm thinking its worth a thousand, taking into account any neccessary repairs... Any thoughts from the gallery ?
  • Anybody have details on the buy back process?? I'm trying to get my '04 Solara SE Sport V6 bought back from Toyota. What kind of useage fee do they charge, if any? Any other fees involved. How do they compute your refund??? I have had the left pull problem the day I drove it off the lot... Chalk it up as another one bites the dust!!
  • jakee2jakee2 Posts: 2
    My question is about the engine problems with 1997-2001 camry. Does this relate to both 4 & 6 cyl. The way I understand is that the engine can run a little hot and break down the oil causing major engine failures and sludge build up. I am thinking about purchasing a used camry but I am not interested in paying the premium price that camry demands if the engine is questionable.

Thanks
  • liaisonliaison Posts: 47
    I have an 99 Camry CE and from time to time the accelerator pedal will stick. Anyone else have that problem and what was the solution? Also, there is a squeek in the front suspension whenever I go over a speed breaker on my street. Had something replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and wonder if it could be the same problem. Not sure but it may have been the struts or strut tops.
  • profksprofks Posts: 12
    I purchased a used 99 Camry LE sedan recently with 44,000 miles, fully aware of the reported sludge problems. I DID look at the dipstick carefully, and the first owner had meticulous records of all of the oil changes (which were conducted at appropriate intervals). As insurance, at 45,000 miles I purchased a genuine Toyota oil filter and took it over to the local Walmart where I instructed them to put 5-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in the vehicle and use the supplied factory filter. I plan to change the oil in this manner every 5,000 miles. It is still less expensive than going to the Oil Spot every 3,000 miles and using non-synthetic oil. In reality, it may not make much of a difference using synthetic, but it only costs $27.88 with their filter, or $26 if you supply your own filter (cost approx. $4.50).

My only suggestion is to get the seller to provide oil change receipts BEFORE purchasing the vehicle - though this is a good idea with all vehicles, it is probably even a better idea with a 97-01 Camry. With regular oil changes the engine life may indeed extend well into that which we expect from a Toyota.
  • I recently bought a 01 Camry CE with 31k on it. While driving back home on highway, I noticed the steering wheel starts vibrating (light but noticeable) when the car runs at 65mph or greater! A friend of mine suggested to have all 4 wheels balanced. The vehicle is still under the basic warranty (5k or 6 months left) and I thought may be it is a good idea to go ahead to have the dealer check it out. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Usually caused by deposit buildup in the throttle body bore and back of the throttle plate. Remove the air intake ducting, have someone hold the throttle plate wide open, spray liberally with air intake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner), and scrub the bejeepers out of the throttle body bore and throttle plate, especially the back side, with an old toothbrush. Clean up the residue with absorbent rags and you should be good to go.
  • Unlike Saturn, I do not think Toyota offers a buy back option. Sounds like if you have been to the dealer 3 times you need to invoke the lemon law...I wonder if pulling to left is covered. I'd think perhaps not but then who knows...wish rattles could be covered under the lemon law!
This discussion has been closed.