Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,107
    curtsinthezone,
    Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    I hope it is not a problem per say. There were similar complaints on Malibu as well as other pertaining to shift. I and some others came to the conclusion that the computer learns driving habits and self programs accordingly. Perhaps you are doing quite a bit of stop and go driving or have been recently? This style would seem to bring automatic downshifts more forcefully. If you drove where most of the time you were doing a long roll to the stop with only light braking near the actual stop it seems to use less forceful downshifts. I have yet to figure why they don't use an over-run clutch which would maximize the rollout and MPG.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    Rider: Since our 94 pontiac B'ville we have noticed engine braking on hills where the car would "hold" the same speed for the most part. Very noticeable on newer vehicles i.e. 2010 Lacrosse. Personally, maybe due to getting used to it, I like the programming feature since you do not have to ride the brakes (in the smokies and on the Wheeling, WV Hill). Prior cars we did have to pull it down to a lower gear- like a manual to brake with engine. I agree it may help m,mileage by coasting but at what speed?
    I generally don't ride in very hilly or mountains. Older vehicles with override clutch would positively engage when pulled from D(OD) position. It seems these 6 speeds are not as good at engine braking when applied. Even pulling down a gear or more they are hesitant to engage depending upon speed and engine RPM, so it is necessary to apply brake to get you within the allowed range for that gear. That is if you want effective engine braking for a high grade.
    Obviously coasting without engine braking should help MPG at any speed, assuming the engine efficiency is not horrible at idle. Rollout of newer vehicles can be very lengthy without any braking. A tap of the accelerator can move you a long way. This is much the principle that those who competed for most mileage on a vehicle used in contests. Most did use standard transmission, but once they got it rolling at the desired speed, they'd clutch and kill engine, allowing a long rollout. When speed decreased to the desired point, they'd pop clutch and restart to increase speed again. There are some that competed locally and got 100 miles on a gallong.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited March 2011
    Newer , jointly developed 6-speed is obviously programmed for economy preference with fast upshift and slow to downshift in my experience. We use the tap up tap down for really big grades, but as you have posted the new on board diagnostics appears "to learn" your driving mannerisms and the car becomes gradually easier to drive IMO. I have read about flashing or reprogramming certain transmissions and computers to take out the initial bugs (we had it done once and that car was very driveable and economical forever after. Big key with the Lacrosse 6-speed and the higher revving 3.0/3.6L DOHC engine family is to keep the RPMs up on big hill climbs. At 80 MPH, the car will climb all but the steepest, at 70 it lugs due to lower RPMs and as speed drops off it shifts down and then back up searching for economy. Very frustrating to some drivers who do not use tap system at all. At 55-65 the car gets phenomenal MPG (31-33) on level road if gas gets to $5 that may be tolerable. BTW- per new oil change forum -what interval are you using?
    My opinion of the engine braking is that it is not very good on this vehicle. I was reminded of that yesterday as I cruised back across the Savannah River. A very high bridge allowing largest containter ships. As you come to the bottom and exit into Savannah, there is a 25MPH curve. As I crested I started downshifting, all the way to 1st. Engine was revving quite high and it was not slowing me much so I still had to brake a lot. I suspect that it has to do with VVT and that it is not moved to an engine brake solution. That is it is more like a diesel when coasting until you employ the Jake as far as engine braking. On the 3.6 it might be for pollution reasons or they just did not add effective engine braking timing to the valve train.
    This is a very old post I'm replying to, but felt it necessary.
    There is some discussion about replacing older transmission fluids with the newer Dexron VI synthetic. By now dealers should know, but DIY may not be aware.
    When the newer first came out it was listed as backwards compatible but Ford & GM apparently had enough issues that they came out with a bulletin saying not to do it. The apparent issue was that clutch plates started coming apart on older transmissions, pre- the year that they started coming off the line.
    It is possible the newer transmissions had new clutch plates or that it is the effect of having previously been worked and soaked in the older formulation. If it was the plate construction, presumably newer synthetic compatible plates would be available for rebuild, at least in transmissions that spanned the changeover.
    I did get by with a change from whatever was in the 96 Aurora transmission at 125K to AAMCO synthetic, off the shelf. I drained, filled, then disconnected cooler line to allow it to pump new fluid from pan forcing old from torque convertor out the disconnected line. I'm sure I got at least a 90% change. And I saw no bad from 20K miles, except the solenoids seemed to be going bad which was common with older fluid.
    Although this was occurring around the same time that most transmission shops would not change fluid if you were around 70K and had never done it before, I do not know if changing to synthetic influenced that decision.
  • mary101mary101 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I have recently purchased a used buick with now around 83,000 miles on it. Now I have had the car around four months and I do have a lot of stop and go traffic as well as been driving long distance. When I first got the car I had to do a few repairs but nothing major. But I did notice that sometimes shifting seemed unusual. I took it and had a diagnostics test done, but they said nothing was found. However now it seems to be getting worse and I do not know which way to go or where to start with trying to figure out the problem. When stopping and then starting to go it seems like it is struggling and then the first shift is really hard and jerks the car after that the second shift is rough to but after it hits about 35 to 40 it runs smooth. Please anyone with any suggestions will be of appreciation. I am really worried and can not afford to lose this car right now so I am trying to figure out the best wa to go. Thanks.
    Did you take it to dealer or transmission shop?
    I'd say it needs a proper diagnosis from either.
    There are so many parts in a tranny and they need to work together. The hard shifts could be from a programming problem or something as simple as a sensor. But the sensor might be really hard to get at.
    You might want opinions from both.
    That is not an excessive amount of miles, but fluid and filter should have been changed before this point. I'm not talking flush, just drop pan, change filter, and refill. However, if fluid looks and smells bad it is likely too late.
    Some transmission shops have hand-held units they can hook up and monitor while driving and they can be very good at locating issues. They would pinpoint if the computer is delaying the shift or if the command is sent to tranny and for some reason internal to tranny there is a long delay. They can give live info on pressure regulation and temp sensor.
    The big question, is it the tranny or the computer or some engine sensor. If the computer has ever been replaced, it needed programming to your vehicle. Or maybe just re-programming.
    Good Luck.
  • trouble20trouble20 Posts: 1
    I have a Buick Lacrosse 06 purchased new. Problems occured with the transmission four months after. The very hard shifting jerks was between 1.5 and 2 on the RPM. Dealer couldn't find problem. My car was under warrenty plus an additional warrenty coverage that I had purchased. I spent more time at the dearlership over the past few years regarding this problem. When this occured again,and not the last with the odometer reading 65 thousand miles the dealership informed me that they still couldn't locate problem. I was at a local mechanic for an oil change and briefly mentioned the problem. He went to a technical web site which stated that this model bulletin was sent out in March, 2008. The bulletin number I have is 08-07-30-002A. I took the printed copy to the dealership when the warrenty for GM was about to expire because the transmission started to shift hard again and they rechecked and the same answer no problem. That extended warrenty that I had mentioned earlier I was told by the dealer it ran concurrently with the GM coverage. Now that the car is out of warrenty the shifting is worse and the car will be engaged and not move while the RPM excellerates and the spedometers stays at 0. Then the engine will engage. Good luck
  • I have had two incidents where my 2010 Buick LaCrosse has stopped cold. The first time I was at a gas station. I finished pumping gas and when I went to start the car it would go no faster than 5 mph. It then shut off. I was driving on a busy highway at about 70 mph and the car shut off. Now the car is having issues with the powersteering and leaking. The car only has 33K miles. Has anyone else had these problems?
  • Lefttoyota,

I’m sorry to hear about these incidents with your LaCrosse. Are you currently working with a dealership towards resolving your concern?

If you like, Customer Service is available to help you work with your dealership towards a resolution, or to look into warranty/recall information on your specific vehicle. Please email us with your name/username, contact info, last 8 digits of your VIN, and involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am having a similar problem with my 2010 LaCrosse , but with mine the car after being on for a lil while goes into a parking brake mode. The engine light turns on, the parking brake light turns on and the car slows to 1 mph. Sometimes before this happens the doorlocks go nuts rapidly going up and down.
    I video'd the park brake problem on my iphone and posted it to show the dealer whom has tried to fix it 3 times.. My next move is lemon law because it is a potential danger to drive with my family on the highway.
    heres the link..
  • Buick55,

I see you're already working with a dealership - are you planning on revisiting them again? If we can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us via email (send your name/user name, last 8 of your VIN, contact information, and the name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Each time my car shut off, the car displayed similar actions as shown in your video. Tthe engine light came on, the park assist would turn off and then the car shut off. The best experience of all was calling the Buick customer care to get the car towed. I was told they would tow the car to the nearest dealer which was not near my home and I would "have to get myself home". I called the dealer for assistance only to get nowhere. So I am sitting in a parking lot after rolling the car off a busy freeway. No one seemed to care that a brand new car had just stopped while I was traveling over 60 miles per hour on the freeway. And then to be told to find myself a ride home was a bit more than I could stand. It amazes me how excited they are to sell you a car but show no ownership when the car has a problem. I guess I should be grateful I did not lose my life.
  • Lefttoyota,

I am interested to hear how things have gone since your last post; would you mind posting an update?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • When we got our Lacrosse my wife and daughter both complained of being able to smell gasoline inside the vehicle.
    Of late I have been able to smell it as well. What could cause the odor of gasoline to seep into the car?
    Please advise.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,107
    curtsinthezone,
    I would recommend speaking with your dealer of choice. Please keep me advised on your situation and progress. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I get a p0716 & p0717 code when the engine light come on. The engine light may stay on for a while then will stay out for a while. It's like it goes through a test when the engine is started and if everything is okay the light stays out. So okay, it may be a transmition input speed senser or it may be intermitent wiring; not sure which but to change the input speed senser they want to drop the engine/transmition out to get to the transmition to remove a cover on the transmition to get to the speed senser. I am not sure how these speed senser act when they go bad. Are they intermitant or do they fail completely? This is a 2006 Buick Lacrose with a 3.8 engine and 45,000 miles. Does anyone have any thought on this or Recommendations before I spend the money and time to drop the engine out?
  • Hello buick 55. Well I'm sorry for your problems with your car, but it seems as though you and I are in the same shoes, along with a few others. I also have a 2010 Buick Lacrosse with the same problems. My doors lock and unlock repeatedly while driving, my car shuts down while driving, leaving me with absolutely no control of this car, then afterwards here comes the malfunction light and park light, with no warnings prior to shutting down. I've been stranded, my car has been to the dealer multiple times and I've spoken with GMC multiple times. I have also posted it on you tube. I can go on and on with this lemon, but all I can say is seek help. Seems like the dealership and GMC isn't worried about the potentially dangerous and potentially fatal incidents that can occur due to these malfunction vehicles. Trust, I have expressed my concerns and more about this, about my safety, my family, and the safety of others around this car, Im not trying to kill myself or anyone else. I've been fighting this matter a few months after I purchased my car, straight off the delivery truck. I'm not stopping until I'm heard, my life and the lives of others is worth it.
  • Did take the car in to the dealer. This was the second time I had done this. The first did not result in any find. The second time they found a valve that was leaking fumes under the hood. Once replaced the odor abated.

However it is back again. I will have it back to the dealer again tomorrow.

J C.
  • If we can be of assistance as you work with your dealership, please send us an email with more information, including your name, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Butterfly1123,

I see you are already very active in addressing this concern. Have you had an SR# assigned to your case as you've interacted with Customer Service? We would be happy to let you know any updates on the case.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • The Buick is at the dealer as I write this.

Niagara Motors
    in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario
    905 468 2145

The service person looking after this is Mike

My name is:

Jim Collard

The last 8 of the VIN are: f148687

The car will be at the dealer until next week as a part is on its way from the US. and will not get here before the weekend.

Also

The dealer has arranged a rental car for the duration.

That said. My initial concern before the gas odor with this vehicle was the hard manner in which the automatic transmission down shifted as you decelerated through 30 miles per hour.

The Lacrosse we have on loan from Budget does not do this. The down shift is very smooth and the ride is much better than the lacrosse we own.

We have asked Mike to take another look at this challenge.

Can you suggest anything that would make the trany work better?

Jim Collard
  • Good morning, Mr. Collard,

Thank you for the update! I went to look into our database for information on any warranty/recall information I could send your way, but unfortunately wasn't able to. I did a double-count of the VIN information posted here and found that there are only 7 digits, and our systems require 8. I apologize for that.

I see that vehicle is having some difficulty with downshifting, but as I don't have technical information available to me am unable to make any suggestions. Has Mike been able to successfully diagnose this? I would call and follow up but, as I'm based in the US, am only able to contact United States dealerships.

I would be happy to do as much as I can, though, if you were to send us the last you’re your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Sarah

Vin last 8 are: af148687

J. Collard
  • Thank you for your patience!

When I looked into your vehicle's information in our system, I noticed that there was a transmission calibration update performed on your vehicle a few years back. It may be worth checking with your dealership to see if there are any further transmission calibration updates available for your LaCrosse.

Just for your information, you are still within your Bumper-to-Bumper warranty until 12/17/2014 or 80,058 KM, whichever comes first, your Corrosion Limited Warranty until 12/17/2016, and your Powertrain Limited Warranty until 12/17/2015 or 160,058 KM, whichever comes first.

I hope this is helpful for you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tokun5tokun5 Posts: 1
    I saw in an earlier post that you stated if you were given the VIN you could check to see if there are any recalls on a particular vehicle, I am looking at a 2012 LaCrosse and wondering if this is possible to do for this car?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    That is correct, tokun5. If you wanted to get me the last 8 digits of the VIN, I could look into this for you! Are you experiencing difficulties with your LaCrosse?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I wish I had read this before I bought a new 2012 LaCrosse. Just got it on Monday and had it for 1 hour and Transmission went out. It has 44 Miles on it. Dealer told me they have had no issues with this sort of problem. BULL!!!