Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse Transmission Problems

124»

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    jq2005,

Have you gotten this checked out at a dealership? If so, and they weren't able to diagnose the cause of this concern, please let us know! We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • tenbassttenbasst Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen this problem?
    I have a low mileage 2006 LaCrosse CSX. The transmission coolant chamber in the radiator burst causing transmission fluid to contaminate the engine coolant system and antifreeze contaminating the transmission system. It is the shop right now; looks like a $5,000 job!
    No warning until the engine started to overheat and finally the indicator light made me stop driving.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • It looks like we are experiencing the same problem several others have encountered.
    We love our Lacrosse. It rides beautifully and runs great.
    Yesterday, without warning, the car suddenly would not move forward in drive. It does move in every other gear.
    We took it to the dealership and was just told tonight that they think a strap broke and now needs either a complete rebuild or a new transmission. The cost is $3600.
    How does a car that moves need a new transmission? And how does a car with less than 100,000 miles just suddenly have a strap break? The dealership said it was a "wear item".
    Is gm doing anything about these transmission problems?
  • The transmission on my 2008 LaCrosse stopped working three days after the dealer had replaced the transmission fluid as a 50,000 mile maintenance routine. The mechanic said the problem had nothing to do with the fluid. Is it possible for a mechanic to miss an obvious problem with
    transmission when adding fluids?
  • After a year and a half, I trust the problem with your transmission has been solved. I just want to share my similar problem. I bought my 2008 LaCrosse new. I have always gone to the dealership for maintenance service. Two weeks ago, when I scheduled an oil change, I was told that 50000 miles was time for transmission fluid. Three days later, my car stopped moving and needed either a new transmission system or a rebuilt one. The mechanic told me that the breakdown had absolutely nothing to do with the fluid replacement. I am having GM check into this statement. I would think the purpose of refreshing transmission fluid is to keep the transmission in working order.
  • After a year and a half, I trust the problem with your transmission has been solved. I just want to share my similar problem. I bought my 2008 LaCrosse new. I have always gone to the dealership for maintenance service. Two weeks ago, when I scheduled an oil change, I was told that 50000 miles was time for transmission fluid. Three days later, my car stopped moving and needed either a new transmission system or a rebuilt one. The mechanic told me that the breakdown had absolutely nothing to do with the fluid replacement. I am having GM check into this statement. I would think the purpose of refreshing transmission fluid is to keep the transmission in working order. since your original posting indicates at least one 2008 LaCrosse had a similar issue, I am thinking there is some defect in that model.
  • It appears that your problems are (or were) very similar to the problems with my 2008 LaCrosse. My problem just occurred in the past couple of weeks and I too was told a strap had broken. The cost was in the same range as yours. To compound the problem, mine happened thee days after I had the transmission fluid replaced as the dealer had recommended doing at 50000 miles and did it at the time of a routine oil change. They insist the breakdown had nothing to do with the fluid. Although the car runs fine now, I contacted GM as I really want to know how this can happen so soon after preventive measures. Though they made a partial price adjustment as a loyal customer whose warranty has expired. I would have preferred answers and assurance that my new transmission is safe.
  • 2005 Lacrosse CXL...Got on the freeway and the car would not shift out of gear at 35mpg. Just stayed locked at that speed. Got off the freeway and sputtered into a parking lot. Car was leaking trans fluid and would not move when put in "R" and "D". Had the trans service at the dealer right before 100,000. Got to 109,000 and then this happens. Never had problems with a trans. before, especially a Buick, which I bought because of supposed reliability. Thought those days were behind GM, guess not. Waiting to see what shop says.
  • Turned out to be a blown trans line. $450. Feeling lucky. Always enjoyed this car.
  • I had a 2005 Lacrosse CXL, bought used off someone else's lease with about 18000 miles. I had similar problems from the get-go. The car would turn on in what I called either a "normal" mode - everything running as it should - or "bad" mode (my name sanitized for public consumption). When the car was young, "bad" mode started as just being sluggish on the accelerator. As the miles increased, "bad" mode got worse - transmission started to shake the car, power dropped dramatically on hills, hard accelerations, etc, sounded/felt like an old choked engine running too rich. I could usually suspect "bad" mode within a short distance of driving, and tried to clear it before going anywhere where it might have caused problems. The car never stalled entirely on me, but got close, at which time I traded it in for a non-gm vehicle. I too had dealers look at it, who could never replicate the problem. Part of the problem troubleshooting my car was that it seemed to occur randomly. Over time, it seemed more likely to turn on in "bad" mode if there was a drastic change in weather and/or humidity since it had last been run. I think the problem is software/sensor related. I think the car's computers initial boot is defective, either because of a software issue or a marginal sensor issue, and the transmission is just being run a slight bit out of sequence. When my car/problem was young, I was able to clear "bad" mode by turning the car off, removing keys, opening and closing the driver door, and starting over. Just turning the car on and off did not do the trick. Long association with software engineers leads me to believe that opening/closing doors leads to a different/deeper reset of the electronics, rather than cycling key on and off, which may leave some of the electronics powered for several minutes (think of the radio and exterior lights held after removing keys, what else stays electrified?). That said, running the car with the transmission operating in an incorrect mode will eventually lead to mechanical damage and by the time I got rid of the car, I believe that had been accomplished. The problem returned ever more frequently and more severely. Maybe this message will help someone else nurse their vehicle along until they can replace it. Maybe with all their ongoing recalls GM will finally step up and resolve the problem. (I had to put a joke in here somewhere)

124»