Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE No Start

Comments

• kizerskizers Posts: 3
    Last week, my odometer jumped from 96.7K miles on Friday to 40K Saturday morning, ran fine, started right up. Saturday afternoon I had 155K miles and my car would not start. Sunday morning, it started fine and we went and replaced the battery. Ever since then my odometer is still at 155K, my gas gauge randomly works, my security system light is on and my horn randomly honks as I am driving, my airbag light has not gone off and my tempature gauge moves to hot speratically and other lights randomly come on. I had it checked at the auto parts on the hand held computer and it is not registering anything wrong. Other than that it always starts right up and drives great. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    edited June 2011
    There's something going wrong with your Body Control Module - often called the BCM. It controls things like the gauges and the odometer. One of 2 issues:

1. The BCM grounds are corroded and need to be cleaned (not likely but worth mentioning)

2. The BCM needs to be replaced - its a dealer only repair as it has to be programmed by them when it is replaced. Its about a $ 700.00 repair at your local Saturn Authorized Service Center.

Good Luck...
    :shades:
    Thank you for you help with this. I guess I am going to get rid of my Saturn. Last year, I spent $1400.00 for the catalytic converters and in 2008 $800. for the Fuel pumps and fuel filter. I am tired off putting out a lot of money on it.

But I do appreciate your help!
    When I had the the sound of the airplane in the back of my 2003 Saturn Vue it was the Fuel pumps, I had to replace both and did the Fuel filter why they were in there anyway.
    Here's a hint...when you go to trade it in, the day before, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes and then reconnect it. It seems that when your BCM is on the way out, taking power off and then restoring 30 minutes later will reset it and it will work normally for a while. Hopefully just long enough for the dealer to make you an offer for it.

Best of Luck! :shades:
  • Before you take any suggestions via the internet check with a factory trained technician.

Any person with some mechanical or electrical skills can reset the Vue computer module.

Generally speaking removing the battery ground for one minute should
    reset the module.

There is a problem doing what seems to be a "fix". The modules have a volatile memory. Once the vehicle battery is disconnected all error codes are cleared out.

Once you do this a certified technician can not reproduce the error codes.
    In my case our 2006 Vue three years ago would randomly refuse to restart.
    There was no warnings.

I left it at a Saturn dealer for on week and suggested the service manager drive it home. He could never duplicate the problem.

After that I experienced the same problem several times. I carried the tools necessary to remove the battery cover and it's ground cable.

Like magic the vehicle has not refused to start for the last 2.5 years. I seriously doubt that I inadvertently cleaned a bad electrical connection.

I dislike to guess what caused this very annoying problem to happen. It appears as a software glitch. The service manager updated the modules
    software. I can not say or prove that was the problem

Our Vue has served us faithfully for five years with one problem. Perhaps the key to it's reliability is that it always has been service at a Saturn dealer. I recently was offer as much as we paid for the Vue in trade in on a new car. I decline to part with a car that looks and drives like it did the day we picked it up from the Saturn dealer.

Any vehicle can have problems. Most come from poor maintaince and bad driving habits. All we all know Saturn vehicles are no longer built. There are around 300 in the town we live in. Most are on the road daily. I was extremely surprised to see how well they keep their value.
  • addidas40addidas40 Posts: 14
    My situation is the same as many others who have posted. I purchased a 2003 Saturn Vue NEW. My Vue had 86,013 miles on it when we noticed that it was having trouble shifting gears. On May 31, 2001 on our way home on the highway it started making a loud screeching noise and would not go over 10 miles. When we took it in to have it serviced at the dealership we were told that the VTi transmission was out and that this was a common problem with this type of transmission. The only thing that Saturn offered was to pay half of the total amount of $6000.00 to have it repaired. We do not have $3000.00 for a car repair plus I am very leery about putting $3000.00 into my car. We contacted three other places to see about getting a transmission and were told that the VTi transmissions could not be rebuilt because they would malfunction again and again. This seemed to be a well known problem among the mechanics I contacted. A different transmission would have to be put in. We were also told that we could trade in the Saturn for $5000.00 but we would have to buy a new GM car. Why would I want to buy another GM vehicle when they show no accountability in the handling the defects for the Vti transmission? Saturn is currently in a lawsuit over the Vti transmissions. I was transferred to the legal dept when I contacted Saturn about the problem to a woman who was no help. Prior to this we had electrical problems with the BCM three years after we purchased it and had to have it replaced. The car would not start sometimes, the horn kept going off, the lights would flicker and unhooking the battery was only a temporary solution. Here are some resources below for those of you in the same situation. GM will not do anything that is not beneficial to them. They hike the price of the dealer repairing the transmission by 100% (about $6000.00) so that it will look like they are paying half. They also expect for you to invest more money in GM to buy a new vehicle before they give you the $5000.00 trade in value.
    You can file complaints with:
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Website http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Better Business Bureau
    Website http://www.bbb.org/

Post your problem for the VTi transmission on forum boards

Tweet and Facebook your experience on the GM pages

Write your local politicians
    Congressmen, local officials and attorney general you can find your local officials at c-span. You may have to Google your state and attorney general separately to find out who that is.
    http://www.c-span.org/CongressDirectory/

Last but not least you can write the CEO of GM
    Mr. Daniel Akerson
    CEO GM
    300 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265
  • Earlier this year my 3-year old switched the lights on our view from "automatic" to "on"--the battery quickly ran down and after I jumped it the dashboard display was reset and unreadable--and it cost 600.00 to replace (of course we'd just gone over our 36,000 mile warranty).

This morning I went to start the car and it's completely dead. The key is now stuck in the ignition and the car is stuck in park; I see no way to remove the key or move the shift lever, and I'm stuck in our driveway with no access for another car to give me a jump. I love driving this car but wow--I have a Toyota with 120,000 miles on it that has never had a major repair. This thing now strikes me as incredibly unreliable. How the heck do I get it in neutral at least?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    jeffbond1,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • kingcatkingcat Posts: 13
    You should feel lucky your three year old did not start the car.

I strongly suggest taking your Vue to a qualifyed repair shop and never let a three year old play with knobs or switches in any vehicle. :sick:
    First you have to get the key out, then you can deal....

1. Try this, turn the steering wheel back and forth while you gingerly try to wiggle the key and hopefully it will loosen enough so you can turn it to where you can get it out. Don't force the key...last thing you want to do is break it.

2. Then, do not use that key but instead, use your spare key...the Saturn keys tend to wear out and not work in the ignition. IF you don't have a spare, get the dealer to make one from your VIN # and not from the worn out one

3. If even the newer key won't turn either, try using a little powdered graphite in the key hole before you put the key in. you can get it at Home Depot...use it sparingly, a little goes a long way. Don't use something like WD40 or you are asking for other issues.

Once you get the key to turn you can deal with the dead battery...

Good Luck.
  • About a year ago, my 2008 Saturn Vue wouldn't start one morning before work. My neighbor jump started it for me when I was at work, and took it over to a garage, where nobody had an explaination as to what was wrong. The battery was fine, the alternator, everything. And the car was fine since.

About 2 months ago, I noticed at night that my Hazard Light button and the headlight switch are lit up. I was afraid I might have a dead battery, but never seem to. This weekend, my car wouldn't start two times. I took it to my brother-in-law this morning. He said that everything checks out perfect on it, and it started right up for him.

Am I losing my mind? Can anybody tell me if they have come across similar things? I am getting fed up with the GM dealerships, because they all seem to not give a rats butt when I call them. PLEASE PLEASE someone help me out here!

Adam Pfingstl
    Dazed and Confused!
    cocacolaman,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please go more into detail on the problems you have encountered with the GM dealership? Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I had the same problem, 3 times in the last year. YES, I took it in too and they couldn't find anything wrong. It's acting up again and I know what will happen. Waste my valuable time taking it in and they won't find nothing wrong!!!! I came online to see if anybody else was having issues and came across this web page.
    steelheart214,
    Has the dealer involved Technical Assistance? If not, I would recommend asking them to do so. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2008 Saturn Vue XE, The original battery gave up the ghost. It would not hold a charge and failed current draw test. No big deal right ! I purchased a new battery and installed it. The car would not crank. All dash lights and systems seemed to work correctly but no crank. Disconnected battery to reset ECU. Tried waiting 10 minutes, 1 hour and over night. Same situation. On first start the anti theft light came on before crank and never again. Clearly something was not right. Long story short, after pulling each fuse for ECU, TCU and BCM one at a time the car would then crank and start. Due to either the low voltage from the bad battery or replacing the battery the TDM was not talking to the other modules correctly. I hope this keeps someone from pulling their hair out during what should be a simple battery replacement.
  • Hey Carsingarage:
    Sounds like I'm having the same or similar problem with my 2008 Saturn Vue Redline. Walked out to it yesterday, acted like a dead battery. Was able to jump start it last night, but walked out this morning - same thing. I realized that it might be more complex than a dead battery. :(
    Just to make sure that I don't misunderstand, you're saying that you replaced the fuses, not just pulled and put back, to get your Saturn to crank? Are you saying that after all of that, the TDM still does not talk to the other modules correctly?
    Also, I've read about Saturns having BCM issues. Is it possible that I instead or also have a BCM problem?
    Finally, do you think that there is a possibility that my battery is O.K., but that I just need to go through the fuse pulling process? (I'm being hopeful)
    arcticvue,
    I would recommend speaking with your GM dealer of choice. Thank you for posting your concerns. Please keep me updated on your progress. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have been problems starting 2002 Saturn Vue for about a month now. First we thought it was the fuel pump, and it's not. The car will turn over but 90% of the time will not turn on. When it does actually start, it spits and sputters and if you hit the gas it will stay on. However, I can't get it to start again. The car turns over fine but I cannot get it to turn on. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
  • I had a problem where the 2002 Vue would just shut off whlie driving, hen it wouldn't restart until it sat for a while.

The garage replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor and this seems to be working so far.

Has anyone else replaced this?